Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Toshiro Mifune really should have been in so many 70s sci-fi movies. I love Alec Guinness as Obi-Wan but I would kill to see what Mifune would have been like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

The ship grew on me. But who's got that gif where someone TOS'd it up a bit? That was much better.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coXCH1oudT0

Honestly, putting the TOS-ificiation aside (which obviously wouldn't fly as-is today), the secondary hull being a V shape is just much better in terms of overall balance of the thing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 22, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Toshiro Mifune as a Klingon is such a great idea that it could have carried absolutely everything else about the movie. Even if they crammed in the Spock killing JFK thing or w/e

Planet of the Titans began development in 1973 or 1974, well before Roddenberry started farting around with his "Spock was the second shooter on the grassy knoll" idea.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That looks terrible.

The longer I watched the more Disco grew on me. I keep meaning to buy the deluxe Eaglemoss model but I don't really have a good place lined up to display that inevitable rabbit hole.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

This one?

Honestly, even putting the TOS-ificiation aside, the secondary hull being a V shape is just much better in terms of overall look.

Maybe? I thought they left the pizza cutter saucer section, but that's probably it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Maybe? I thought they left the pizza cutter saucer section, but that's probably it.

Eh, probably a different one, there's a billion of them.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

Eh, probably a different one, there's a billion of them.

No it was that one, a reverse image search turned up the gif I was thinking of.

Looks much nicer in motion.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rhyno posted:

That looks terrible.

The longer I watched the more Disco grew on me. I keep meaning to buy the deluxe Eaglemoss model but I don't really have a good place lined up to display that inevitable rabbit hole.

I have 2 Hallmark ornaments of the Discovery as one was a Christmas gift. I'll ship it to you free if you pay shipping. PM me if interested.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

I have 2 Hallmark ornaments of the Discovery as one was a Christmas gift. I'll ship it to you free if you pay shipping. PM me if interested.

I'm not an ornament guy, we had tons of the Trek ones when I was a kid but they got misplaced in my parents divorce. I looked for a pic of the EM Disco and the Disco Enterprise popped up and I also want that now.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

the secondary hull being a V shape is just much better in terms of overall balance of the thing.

It gives it a paper-airplane kind of feel, and somehow I can't decide if that's awesome or terrible.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Croatoan posted:

I’ll take it if Rhyno isn’t interested!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

The_Doctor posted:

I’ll take it if Rhyno isn’t interested!

No problem. PM me your address. The wife'll be able to ship it out from her work on Friday and then I'll know what the UPS charge is. TBH as a model it's not bad but if you like the bells and whistles old school Hallmark ornaments used to have get ready to be dissapointed. It has like 1 or 2 lights that barely light up and that's it.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

skasion posted:

Toshiro Mifune as a Klingon is such a great idea that it could have carried absolutely everything else about the movie. Even if they crammed in the Spock killing JFK thing or w/e

Remember, at that point Klingons hadn't been redesigned, so who knows what he would have looked like.

Still sounds really awesome, though!!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I’m really looking forward to hearing the theme music, and seeing what it’ll be. Maybe they’ll pay homage to the TNG theme, maybe it’ll be dubstep?

Does this even count as spoiler? Supposedly they just use the TNG theme, no changes.

Edit: They should have the credit sequence should be the same as TNG, but with Picard's face in place of the Enterprise.

Does anybody know why there aren't any reviews for Picard? Is it embargoed, or did they not screen it for critics? I don't remember what they did with critics for Discovery season 1.

You can get a one month instead of one week CBS All Access trial until the 27th with promo code JANUARY.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 22, 2020

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

pyrotek posted:

You can get a one month instead of one week CBS All Access trial until the 27th with promo code JANUARY.

Does that work if you get it through Prime?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pyrotek posted:

Does anybody know why there aren't any reviews for Picard? Is it embargoed, or did they not screen it for critics? I don't remember what they did with critics for Discovery season 1.

Embargoed. The first episode had a premiere in London a few days ago.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Timby posted:

Embargoed. The first episode had a premiere in London a few days ago.

Indeed. My friend went and enjoyed it, but can’t say more.

Also, this happened there. :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/patstewartnews/status/1217519665188089856

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

Does that work if you get it through Prime?

Nope.

Apparently the free month runs after the one week trial if you have used it yet, and the episode premieres at 12:01AM PST.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

pyrotek posted:

Edit: They should have the credit sequence should be the same as TNG, but with Picard's face in place of the Enterprise.

Just go straight up old school Doctor Who opening with Patrick Stewart’s face zooming through subspace

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

pyrotek posted:

Does this even count as spoiler? Supposedly they just use the TNG theme, no changes.

That's going to be weird.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

pyrotek posted:

Yeah it has a "mixed" rating on imdb so I assumed reviews were out but it's just people who've seen it and liked it (lot of 10/10s, so take that with a grain of salt. I can count the number of perfect score shows on one hand) and straight up poo poo for brains who haven't seen it giving it zero stars because Stewart's an America hating communist. So basically no useful info yet.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Brawnfire posted:

"Why Picard, I thought you might be comfortable speaking peer-to-peer. Or does seeing my face all tired and wrinkled make you think too much of your impending death? Can't say I know the feeling, but I imagine it's... mortifying."

Whoa, that is spot on.

skasion posted:

I watched this and when I got to the 0:54 mark I was like, "yep."

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah it has a "mixed" rating on imdb so I assumed reviews were out but it's just people who've seen it and liked it (lot of 10/10s, so take that with a grain of salt. I can count the number of perfect score shows on one hand) and straight up poo poo for brains who haven't seen it giving it zero stars because Stewart's an America hating communist. So basically no useful info yet.

Well if you throw out all the 10s and 1s it looks good. You could even throw out the 9s.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well if you throw out all the 10s and 1s it looks good. You could even throw out the 9s.

Yup, which is why I still have hope. Hence:

Lizard Combatant posted:

I gotta say though, I am excited for Picard. If for nothing else than its moving into uncharted territory. I have major reservations about a lot of the creatives behind it, but at the same time anything is possible. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is there actually anybody around here that doesn't want to be pleasantly surprised? I mean I thought it went without saying

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, like you I have severe reservations about the creatives. If the stench of Akiva Goldsman (who ran Discovery Season 1's writers' room) and Alex Kurtzman wasn't attached, I'd probably be more optimistic. I don't have All Access and I burned through my trial a couple years ago, but my approach is basically "prepared for the worst, hoping for something decent."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tighclops posted:

Is there actually anybody around here that doesn't want to be pleasantly surprised? I mean I thought it went without saying

It would be a waste of a good negativity buildup.

Yeah, I've got more, but

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Actually I just went back and checked out the imdb reviews, aside from the couple of 10s and 1s there's a single review from someone who's actually seen the show. It's a positive review at least...

e:

Tighclops posted:

You'd certainly hope so. But you still get the occasional poster drop a "you just want this to be bad" take so I guess that's where the defensiveness comes from.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 22, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

pyrotek posted:

Huh, that’s definitely not been said anywhere I’ve seen.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, that’s definitely not been said anywhere I’ve seen.

Are you saying you've specifically seen otherwise or not heard details at all? It is entirely possible the person on twitter who said they saw the premiere was bullshitting.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

putting the TOS-ificiation aside (which obviously* wouldn't fly as-is today)

*the hell it is

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

pyrotek posted:

Are you saying you've specifically seen otherwise or not heard details at all? It is entirely possible the person on twitter who said they saw the premiere was bullshitting.

The latter, I’ve not heard anything about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Akiva Goldsman

Ugh why did you tell me this

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I want like, a hyperspeed techno remix of the TNG theme if they're keeping that.

Or maybe a disco remix. With lots of dubbed in "Go! Go! Go! Go! Gogogogogo!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Drone posted:

Oh yeah, Guinan. Y'know what, hell yeah, bring back Guinan.

https://twitter.com/TheView/status/1220028276879568897

I've always been a fan of Guinan, so gently caress yeah bring her back. Whoopi Goldberg's always a blast to watch in anything she does and she needs a break from telling John McCain's Daughter to shut up every week.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I would like the Mist-er Pick-ard! lady from Time's Arrow to make a cameo.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Thom12255 posted:

That's going to be weird.

Yeah. I hadn't heard that, but if true, my guess would be they used it as a temporary track at the premiere or with review copies.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

ashpanash posted:

Yeah. I hadn't heard that, but if true, my guess would be they used it as a temporary track at the premiere or with review copies.

That’s my thinking too. When the first episode of the Doctor Who revival leaked in 2005, the theme tune on that wasn’t the new arrangement, but the original 1963 theme.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MikeJF posted:

Fuller's Disco would probably have been more TOS-compliant than the Disco we got. Fuller was very much a TOS fanboy, which is why the show was set when it was, but the people who took over clearly didn't care about fitting into TOS that much.

Hell, look at the detailing on his Discovery compared to the one we got. Still different, but something you could see being related to TMP design styles.

I think he's on record as saying he intended it for to look explicitly like "The Cage," with the muted-color turtleneck uniforms and such, and ship design elements based on TOS.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McSpanky posted:

*the hell it is

Yeah I think the people it wouldn't fly with are producers moreso than audiences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Rumor has it that Section 31 begins filming in May, apparently.