Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

track day bro! posted:

Why is nobody talking about Blackmesa now Xen has been finished. I started a playthrough of BM around christmastime, the last time I'd played it was when it was still a free mod and a bit janky.

I still hate blast pit and the god drat loving invisible ninjas but apart from that I've enjoyed the hell out of it. Xen is brilliant and it feels almost like another game, I even enjoyed fighting the gigantic nutsack this time round. Haven't got to the end yet but I can't believe how good they managed to make it.

lol scroll up

and yeah xen was phenomenal and worth the wait as they clearly put a ton of effort into it. the nihilanth fight will not disappoint you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Playing through it now myself and having a great time. I haven't reached King Gonad in Xen yet but it really is a huge step up in visuals. I actually liked Xen in the original but they have really flexed their creativity and fleshed out it's connectivity to the rest of the game.

It has been an odd thing to play though, as it's like they've created my fallible memories of HL. Sure it looks dated but not as dated as the reality is if you actually go back and look at the original.

Also I'd forgotten how much of a long weird tour of the black mesa facility it is outside of the more memorable set pieces like the dam and the cliff face. Things like the Takeshi's castle waste disposal run or the industrial war zone were a constant state of "... oh yeaaah" moments.

Black Mesa, a thing you can play to the end in tyool 2020, amazing...

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I did like that they show you what black mesa was doing on xen and that the Vorts are all good lads that mean well. It's also nice that there are lots of different environments for all the different creatures. All I can remember of the original Xen was

loving poo poo platforming > Fight the nads > Boring rear end factory section > Big babby who loves to teleport ya

I honestly don't think it looks dated at all, quite a few times I was like wow this is still on the source engine? I mean I know stuff like apex and titanfall are on a version of source but xen doesn't feel dated.

Only thing I miss from the original HL are the gun sounds, I dunno why but they all sound so satisfying. Like reloading the MP5 and the double barrel shot for the shotgun. Then you come to the HL2 gun sounds which are all ehhh apart from the pulse rifle thingy.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
What was the deal with all the crazy reverb in HL1 anyway? Did Valve set all the EAX settings to Bathroom?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

track day bro! posted:

Only thing I miss from the original HL are the gun sounds, I dunno why but they all sound so satisfying. Like reloading the MP5 and the double barrel shot for the shotgun. Then you come to the HL2 gun sounds which are all ehhh apart from the pulse rifle thingy.

It's really odd because the sound design for everything else in the game is top notch as well. It's only the guns that feel limp

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

PIZZA.BAT posted:

It's really odd because the sound design for everything else in the game is top notch as well. It's only the guns that feel limp

It's mainly the MP7 (it's an mp7 in hl2 isn't it?) although it's been a while since I've played HL2, I can't remember what most of the other guns sound like haha.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I think it was always referred to as an MP5 in the original but it's an MP7 in HL2. Regardless, I'm sad they nerfed the ammo count for the grenade launcher from 10 to 3. I guess they wanted to balance things and the HL2 version gave them an obvious way to do so. It was an absurd amount of ordinance, but it was the best :allears:

The shotgun is still my favourite shotgun in gaming and I think they've transferred that well. The single barrel is good at range and the double barrel up close has got so much boof.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like I was acting above I attribute this to the incredible sound design in HL2. The SMG might be weak but it's the best sounding SMG ever. The shotty is god-like and the crossbow has a satisfying thunk.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Songbearer posted:

What was the deal with all the crazy reverb in HL1 anyway? Did Valve set all the EAX settings to Bathroom?

Doom 3 is the same way with EAX enabled. It was cool back in the day, but now I prefer either slight reverb or nothing at all, because it sounds ridiculous.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Can you level skip in Black Mesa? I want to check out Xen and I had forgotten how boring most of the escape from the facility is.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Like I was acting above I attribute this to the incredible sound design in HL2. The SMG might be weak but it's the best sounding SMG ever. The shotty is god-like and the crossbow has a satisfying thunk.

I mean I'm assuming the HL1 MP5 sounds nothing like an mp5.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm interested in how the game is going to sound, since Half Life 2 had some amazing sound effects and enemy chatter.

I don't like the one CP audio bark I heard in the trailer, I'm worried there isnt going to be much of the "new-speak 10 codes" to unpack in this, it just sounded like generic bad guy soldier talk.

Edit: Also yeah I'm up to "On a Rail" in Black Mesa and it's the best single player fps since doom 2016.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 16, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Animal-Mother posted:

Can you level skip in Black Mesa? I want to check out Xen and I had forgotten how boring most of the escape from the facility is.

Open the console (tilde key next to 1; enabled in the keyboard menu/advanced options) and type in "map bm_c4a1" or thereabouts; should see you swiftly to Xen

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Vinylshadow posted:

Open the console (tilde key next to 1; enabled in the keyboard menu/advanced options) and type in "map bm_c4a1" or thereabouts; should see you swiftly to Xen

It says that level doesn't exist. I cheated to the last level that does exist and beat it, jumping through the portal to Xen. Then the credits rolled, game over.

edit: I wasn't opted into the "public beta." I'm dumb. Xen is 10 gigs? LOL.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I loving love the half life one Mp5 so much.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Animal-Mother posted:

It says that level doesn't exist. I cheated to the last level that does exist and beat it, jumping through the portal to Xen. Then the credits rolled, game over.

edit: I wasn't opted into the "public beta." I'm dumb. Xen is 10 gigs? LOL.

Once you see it you’ll understand why it’s that big

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Also you shouldn't have to be in the public beta to get xen.

Motherfucker posted:

I loving love the half life one Mp5 so much.

This, THIS!!!!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

They did an AMA. Nothing mind blowing but a rare sight from Volvo.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/esen9b/were_developers_from_the_halflife_alyx_team_ask/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

stev posted:

Nothing mind blowing but a rare sight from Volvo.

These product tie-ins are getting insane!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vinylshadow posted:

My gripe with Black Mesa: Xen is that each section is an hour too long

I loved the look of Xen and how it was just completely new and fresh, but boy did that poo poo go on forever. They could have cut half of it out and it would have been so much better.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I dunno I found it nostalgic. Modern shooters are tiny. We've just become inured to being given less and charged more. lmao

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

I loved the look of Xen and how it was just completely new and fresh, but boy did that poo poo go on forever. They could have cut half of it out and it would have been so much better.

After playing a bit more at an incredible snails pace, the only gripe I have with Xen is the factory part in interloper? It starts off with some cool stuff and at first it's enjoyable especially with the sections where you get unlimited gauss gun. But it goes on waaaaaay to long at this point where you are sort of climbing up the factory. Theres a point where you have three doors and you have to essentially do the same thing 3 times to progress and it made me think why the hell didn't they just do this once instead of having 3 slightly different variations of a puzzle.

Everything apart from that has been cool, pretty sure I'm close to the end now maybe I'll try and finish it tonight.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

track day bro! posted:

After playing a bit more at an incredible snails pace, the only gripe I have with Xen is the factory part in interloper? It starts off with some cool stuff and at first it's enjoyable especially with the sections where you get unlimited gauss gun. But it goes on waaaaaay to long at this point where you are sort of climbing up the factory. Theres a point where you have three doors and you have to essentially do the same thing 3 times to progress and it made me think why the hell didn't they just do this once instead of having 3 slightly different variations of a puzzle.

Everything apart from that has been cool, pretty sure I'm close to the end now maybe I'll try and finish it tonight.

Yup that’s the only part where I was thinking, ‘guys.... come on’ as well. The elevator sequence after it got pretty tiring as well.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I loved the 1:1 aping of the Episode One Core sequence

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I still have a hard time forgetting Half-Life 1's sound profile. I was bad at computers and couldn't figure out how to get the music to play in-game, so I played it all with nothing but the audio. Really memorable and heavy quality to everything. I kind of hope to see HL1 VR at some point.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Black August posted:

I kind of hope to see HL1 VR at some point.

I just finished playing through it last week. It's Quest only for the moment, I think there's a PCVR HL1 out there but I'm not sure of it's current state.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

I just finished playing through it last week. It's Quest only for the moment, I think there's a PCVR HL1 out there but I'm not sure of it's current state.

Oh, cool. I might be able to play it by the time I can ever afford VR then.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Only if plays like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtIp8jOo8_o

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Been enjoying the hell out of Black Mesa, forgot how well done it is. I’m looking forward to the new Xen stuff even though you guys say it’s a slog. Gonna fire up HL2, ep1, and ep2 when I’m done, can’t wait for Alyx.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cartoon Man posted:

Been enjoying the hell out of Black Mesa, forgot how well done it is. I’m looking forward to the new Xen stuff even though you guys say it’s a slog. Gonna fire up HL2, ep1, and ep2 when I’m done, can’t wait for Alyx.

it’s a slog in the same way that some people say dark souls is hard. it’s a throwback to how games used to be so it may feel wrong. the interloper level was the only one that started to fatigue me but you always feel like you’re making progress

the nihilanth then shows up to knock it out of the fuckin park

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SCheeseman posted:

There's another HL1 VR mod that uses Sven Co-op IIRC but I haven't tried it yet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cartoon Man posted:

Doing exactly this, just finished Half Life 2 just now after beating Black Mesa. Onward to Episodes 1 and 2.

Man Half Life is so rad.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
same only I'm doing blue shift and op force also for the first time

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Blue Shift and Opposing Force mysteriously stopped working on my computer and it's basically a tragedy

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Walrus posted:

same only I'm doing blue shift and op force also for the first time

I never played Blue Shift but I loved Opposing Force. I didn't want to try to attempt to go back down to HL1 graphics in order to play through them this time though, poo poo would be super jarring especially because Black Mesa looks so good.

You'll have a rad time for sure though!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think I remember Opposing Force being decent but Blue shift was a mess. Still I might check those out after Black Mesa to get the full experience...

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PIZZA.BAT posted:

it’s a slog in the same way that some people say dark souls is hard. it’s a throwback to how games used to be so it may feel wrong.

It's not really a throwback to anything though? HL1 is maybe a 8-10 hour game if you play it completely blind, being overly long and drawn out doesn't really fit the bill when talking about HL1 but that's exactly what Xen is now. Black Mesa took me 9 hours to complete and I know the game pretty much like the back of my hand so I pretty much blazed through it until the new Xen levels, also On a Rail is cut down to ironically remove some of the tedium. Xen is really pretty bloat. The Gonarch fight going from a 10 minute encounter to a 40 minute chase all over the place became really boring, same with the whole let's run away from 20 Gargs via jumping that they did to death.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Xen feels pretty much like a second half to the game now rather then the "ending". I really enjoyed it though, the length didn't bother me.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

You know what I really hate, MORE content. Ugh! And whats with all the scripted set pieces??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
When I got into Xen, I just spent a while oohing and a aahing looking around. It's gorgeous looking. I love how they handled the Vorts too, them sometimes getting mind controlled by the minilanths was clever. All the enemy redesigns are a great surprise too.

Does anyone know if they got the original voice actor for G-Man at the end, or is it an impersonation?