Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I wasn't ready for just how hot the injector got even on the first shoot. I'd be tempted to nab some tig gloves, but I get the feeling they'd get torn up too quickly.

Those leather gardening gloves that you can get for $2.50 just about anywhere should work pretty well, and you won't feel bad if you ruin them.

Real talk: I'm struggling to decide on which kit I want. There's a basic injection kit for something in the $140 neighborhood, and the much more robust Startup Kit for $200.

Basic Kit Contents:

Aluminum Injection Mold (I'm going to try to get them to substitute this 3" Chub Grub Combo Mold)
Medium Plastic Injector
Pint of Crystal Clear plastic (soft or medium)
2 - 5 oz containers of plastic colorant (your choice)
2 - 2 oz containers of glitter (your choice)
Nitrile Gloves

Startup Kit Contents:

1 Gallon Regular Crystal Clear Plastisol
5.5 floz Worm Oil
5.5 floz Softener
5.5 floz Heat Stabilizer
4 Bottles X2 Colorant (Watermelon Brown, Green Pumpkin, Florida Grape, Pumpkin Seed)
4 2 oz jarsof glitter (.040 Black. .008 Red, .015 Moss Green, .015 Canadian Blue)
1 Pair of Nitrile Gloves
1 Medium Injector with extra nozzle
25 7x4 Bait Bags

I've been planning on getting the Startup Kit, but the fact that it doesn't come with molds means that I'm going to need to add at least $55 to the total. More like $150 extra if I plan on getting the Midwest Finesse (Ned) Rig mold, which I am.

What's the smart move? I'm almost thinking that it might be worth it to do the basic kit, then perhaps eventually get a startup kit down the road since it's mostly all consumable materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Im really not a fan of the glitter sizes included in that consumable kit, they're a size smaller than they should be. But thats a bit more personal preference I guess. Still way cheaper than how I did it. :v:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Im really not a fan of the glitter sizes included in that consumable kit, they're a size smaller than they should be. But thats a bit more personal preference I guess. Still way cheaper than how I did it. :v:

I'm really leaning toward the basic injection kit to start. Do you think a pint of plastisol is enough to get me started, or should I order more from the get-go? Is there anything that you'd do differently now that you've made some baits?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Order more colors and glitters. And molds. :v:

The basic should give you an idea if you wanna keep going with plastics and make a fistful of lures. The injector and the mold will be the biggest things you get out of that package, since the consumables will run out in one session of a couple hours if my experience is anything to go by.

Just keep in mind that if you scale up, things are gonna get spendy real drat quick. :v:

I made some junebug worms today. First a straight "junebug" colorant that is almost a dead ringer for my favorite junebug color (left) and then I added a few drops of plain purple because why the gently caress not! (Right)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Order more colors and glitters. And molds. :v:

The basic should give you an idea if you wanna keep going with plastics and make a fistful of lures. The injector and the mold will be the biggest things you get out of that package, since the consumables will run out in one session of a couple hours if my experience is anything to go by.

Just keep in mind that if you scale up, things are gonna get spendy real drat quick. :v:

I made some junebug worms today. First a straight "junebug" colorant that is almost a dead ringer for my favorite junebug color (left) and then I added a few drops of plain purple because why the gently caress not! (Right)

We need to negotiate a tackle swap. I want to fish some of your plastics!

Financial responsibility has reared its ugly head and I'm going to hold off on my plastics kit for a couple of weeks. BUT, as luck would have it, my dad gave me a cool Christmas present:

I think I want to make a couple of bucktail and marabou jigs before I start tying flies in earnest, but I ain't complaining.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

We need to negotiate a tackle swap. I want to fish some of your plastics!

Financial responsibility has reared its ugly head and I'm going to hold off on my plastics kit for a couple of weeks. BUT, as luck would have it, my dad gave me a cool Christmas present:

I think I want to make a couple of bucktail and marabou jigs before I start tying flies in earnest, but I ain't complaining.

I don't have a lot of space so I use a travel fly-tying set like this exclusively. In fact, this one looks exactly like the one I have except mine came with the Thompson whip finisher. (which I soon replaced with a Matarelli like that one because I could never use the Thompson properly)

You might want to reinforce the latch/clasp on the box if it's made like mine.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 7, 2020

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

I don't have a lot of space so I use a travel fly-tying set like this exclusively. In fact, this one looks exactly like the one I have except mine came with the Thompson whip finisher. (which I soon replaced with a Matarelli like that one because I could never use the Thompson properly)

You might want to reinforce the latch/clasp on the box if it's made like mine.

The latch is definitely rear end. Also I've never used any of these tools before and have no loving idea what I'm doing. Welp, time to suck at something before sucking a little less at it.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

The latch is definitely rear end. Also I've never used any of these tools before and have no loving idea what I'm doing. Welp, time to suck at something before sucking a little less at it.

Do you any fly tying materials yet? And you already know this, but I'd suggest youtube videos. There are so many of them out there that show the entire process of tying any kind of fly. Hell, they're just relaxing to watch sometimes.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 7, 2020

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I still have feathers for you if you send me your address.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

Do you any fly tying materials yet? And you already know this, but I'd suggest youtube videos. There are so many of them out there that show the entire process of tying any kind of fly. Hell, they're just relaxing to watch sometimes.
I'm primarily a book learner, but I should spend some time on YouTube. I'm sure that I've mentioned this in other threads, but there is so much content on YouTube and so much of it is bad to mediocre. Also I loving hate the HEY GUYS DON'T FORGET TO MASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTON!!!!! persona that is like half a step away from wacky morning zoo DJ. If you have any channel recommendations I'd definitely give them a watch though.

edit: I don't have much in the way of tying materials yet. I have some black marabou feathers and some soft plastic fringe skirts that I bought for spinners that I haven't made yet. I ordered some tying thread in a few different colors, but I should probably practice with sewing thread in the meantime.

Ghostnuke posted:

I still have feathers for you if you send me your address.
Sent!

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 8, 2020

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Check out Tightlines, InTheRiffle, and Kim Misiura on Youtube for fly tying tutorials that are laid back and well done. (I tried to link them but it kept loving the links up)

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

Check out Tightlines, InTheRiffle, and Kim Misiura on Youtube for fly tying tutorials that are laid back and well done. (I tried to link them but it kept loving the links up)

Will do. I will make a list of good channels and add them to the the OP.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Gooch181 posted:

Yup, ditto on Tightlines and Kim Misiura.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

I'm primarily a book learner, but I should spend some time on YouTube. I'm sure that I've mentioned this in other threads, but there is so much content on YouTube and so much of it is bad to mediocre. Also I loving hate the HEY GUYS DON'T FORGET TO MASH THAT LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE BUTTON!!!!! persona that is like half a step away from wacky morning zoo DJ. If you have any channel recommendations I'd definitely give them a watch though.

Davie McPhail is the best. :colbert: Delightful Scottish brogue, some history and information about the fly he’s tying, and nothing else.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Noted! Fly goons, you been tying anything neat lately?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Nope, and life crap got in the way of me attending those classes I was so excited for. Wouldn't suggest letting some dipshit without insurance back into your car. I'll have some catching up to do prepping for my first spring of fishing! Its not all bad news, however. My new ride is much better suited for hauling kayaks and poles.

Gooch181 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 14, 2020

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Not yet, but I have some books and supplies and am planning on a duck hunt/pheasant hunt weekend coming up. Hoping to get some extra feathers for tying to bring back!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Poured some worms today in watermelon red with a touch of blue pearl highlight. I went 3/6 in my runs and kept getting a bunch of flashing on the tails. Its a bit hard to balance the pressure you need to get the mold filled without blowing it out the air channels.

But oh well, at least I can have some fun with the handful I got today.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I finally got a decent pic of the watermelon red worms.

And I did some more today. I was trying to make some green pumpkin blue flake worms and even with 25 drops in one cup of plastic, it was super light. So I grabbed what I thought was a dark watermelon colorant and put 10 drops in. Nope, I grabbed straight black by mistake. I channeled my inner Bob Ross, said there are no mistakes, only happy accidents and rolled with it. :toot:

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Those definitely look like they'll catch fish; hell yeah.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

I finally got a decent pic of the watermelon red worms.

And I did some more today. I was trying to make some green pumpkin blue flake worms and even with 25 drops in one cup of plastic, it was super light. So I grabbed what I thought was a dark watermelon colorant and put 10 drops in. Nope, I grabbed straight black by mistake. I channeled my inner Bob Ross, said there are no mistakes, only happy accidents and rolled with it. :toot:

These look great! Do you have extras or factory seconds? I'd definitely trade some jigs and sinkers for them. Have you started messing around with salt and hardness and poo poo like that?

Yesterday I came home to find a very light box in the mail. Thanks Ghostnuke! Looks like I have to put up or shut up with some tying. The thread I ordered should arrive any day now.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Oh, plenty. The watermelon red I'll probably be using along with a handful of the junebug, but the rest is just experiments. I do need to get some worm oil and proper bags before I get too many built up.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 23, 2020

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Are those going to be good for anything? I have no idea.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Are those going to be good for anything? I have no idea.

I hope somebody else will chime in because I have no idea. Still going to use them in some capacity!

Elmnt80 posted:

Oh, plenty. The watermelon red I'll probably be using along with a handful of the junebug, but the rest is just stuff to send out. I do need to get some worm oil and proper bags before I get too many built up.

Excellent. Let us know when that time comes.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I hope somebody else will chime in because I have no idea. Still going to use them in some capacity!

I see wing cases, wings, tails, nymph bodies, and spinner decoration. Not sure how these would hackle into a spiral. We've gotten spoiled by amazing hackles in the last 10 years. In recent years instagram has shown us hyper realistic flies that probably catch less fish than ridiculous chicken feather flies from the 1950's. I've caught more trout on a basic boring nymph than any other fly pattern.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Yooper posted:

I see wing cases, wings, tails, nymph bodies, and spinner decoration. Not sure how these would hackle into a spiral. We've gotten spoiled by amazing hackles in the last 10 years. In recent years instagram has shown us hyper realistic flies that probably catch less fish than ridiculous chicken feather flies from the 1950's. I've caught more trout on a basic boring nymph than any other fly pattern.

Basically this. The feathers I got were fantastic tails, wings/cases, and very small bodies. A couple made for interesting small parachutes, but none of the feathers worked for hackle.

That being said, I would love more of that neon green/iridescent parrot feather stuff! I'm out and I only made two parachutes, and they did superbly before I snapped them off on hooksets where I was surprised there was anything there.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm willing to offer more of the same if you're interested. I know they're small so.... I made a post to the bird crazies thread asking for feather donations. People there have some birds that are bigger than mine, maybe they'll be more usable.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm willing to offer more of the same if you're interested. I know they're small so.... I made a post to the bird crazies thread asking for feather donations. People there have some birds that are bigger than mine, maybe they'll be more usable.

Thanks for reaching out to PI! Also convey the message that I (and probably others) am willing to trade flies, jigs, or whatever other kind of tackle that we can make. Interforum cooperation!

My thread arrived in the mail today! Time to gently caress up.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Will do. Also, do you specifically want the bright colored feathers, or will any work? Lots of people in thread have cockatiels, so grey/white/light yellow.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Will do. Also, do you specifically want the bright colored feathers, or will any work? Lots of people in thread have cockatiels, so grey/white/light yellow.

These are very popular fish lure colors! I'd tie them to some jig heads even if the fly tyers have no use for them.

Update: I can't tie for poo poo yet.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011
I saw Cookies' post in the bird thread. I have a lutino cockatiel (white and yellow) and a turquoise green cheek (lots of grey, green, and teal) in my house and both of them are molting. They're both fairly small parrots. I don't know much about fly tying but I'd be happy to gather some feathers up to share.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Spare-Ohs posted:

I saw Cookies' post in the bird thread. I have a lutino cockatiel (white and yellow) and a turquoise green cheek (lots of grey, green, and teal) in my house and both of them are molting. They're both fairly small parrots. I don't know much about fly tying but I'd be happy to gather some feathers up to share.

I'm certain that somebody ITT will want them. And if nobody else claims them, that person will be me.

And thanks very much, to you and your birb friends!

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011

After some quick research it looks like most of these are considered absolute garbage grade. I blame the little idiot for chewing on them after they come out. :colbert:

But look! He's taking real good care of the next batch!

I have no idea what size is appropriate for tying or if the downy feathers to one side are useful at all. Please feel free to reach out here or in pm if you'd like any of these. I'm keeping a special eye out for cockatiel feathers.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Spare-Ohs posted:

After some quick research it looks like most of these are considered absolute garbage grade. I blame the little idiot for chewing on them after they come out. :colbert:

I have no idea what size is appropriate for tying or if the downy feathers to one side are useful at all. Please feel free to reach out here or in pm if you'd like any of these. I'm keeping a special eye out for cockatiel feathers.

At least for me, I don't care too much since I'm using the individual barbules as tail material as opposed to hackle. I like the iridescent green, since it adds a really nice pop to smaller quill nymphs.

tldr; I'll take them.

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011

gamera009 posted:

At least for me, I don't care too much since I'm using the individual barbules as tail material as opposed to hackle. I like the iridescent green, since it adds a really nice pop to smaller quill nymphs.

tldr; I'll take them.

Awesome! Mind PMing me your address? I can pack them up and have them sent out this week.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Chicken feather marabou jig. Extremely inelegant, but hey, first try. Thanks again for the feathers, Ghostnuke!

edit: second one came out a bit better.

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 2, 2020

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

heck yeah, nice

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

1 Cup plastic
1/4 tsp 0.035 red flake
1/8 tsp 0.015 gold flake
1/8 tsp 0.040 neon orange hologram flake
40 drops MF dark watermelon
20 drops Dead on Dark Melon

Heat plastic to 350-400°F in 1:30-2:00 stages, add dye then glitter and mix well. Reheat to 320°F, Load up injector and pour worms.

:chef:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 19, 2020

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

yooooooooo those look rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

gently caress YES.