Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

PT6A posted:

I don’t think men or women are better at flying naturally, but male mediocrity is (unacceptably) tolerated where women are forced out at the first sign of any weakness.

Yeah, this is a known phenomenon in a ton of male-dominated industries -- women have to work to a higher standard than the men to be taken seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, this is a known phenomenon in a ton of male-dominated industries -- women have to work to a higher standard than the men to be taken seriously.

I’ve also seen some bad second-order effects, where competent female pilots will be wrong about something (as we all are from time to time) but will dig in and defend it to the death. And I understand why that happens, but it’s a poo poo situation. The only solution is to eradicate sexism at the lower levels especially.

There’s also the issue that being promoted too early without the necessary experience to feel confident in executing your duties is not the boon it initially appears, so if done for the sake of appearances, it does a disservice to everyone. And I think it’s safe to say we’ve all been there during the time when we still don’t know how much we don’t know, so I don’t mean to blame anyone for taking the opportunities they’re offered.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Butt Reactor posted:

That's the new normal thanks to the Feds trying to micromanage how ORD has always done things, plus the Envoy landing incident last month didn't help. Was this tower or TRACON?

Tower: https://archive-server.liveatc.net/kord/KORD-Tower-Center-Jan-17-2020-2230Z.mp3

19:40 is where it starts to get spicy.
23:00 is where we realized ATC was in a bit of a mood.

The second "possible pilot deviation" call happened about 45 minutes later on a different tower frequency.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

KodiakRS posted:

Tower: https://archive-server.liveatc.net/kord/KORD-Tower-Center-Jan-17-2020-2230Z.mp3

The second "possible pilot deviation" call happened about 45 minutes later on a different tower frequency.

I once misheard Indy Departure say "maintain VFR at or above 3,000" and, upon readback, was met with CESSNA 8**A, NEGATIVE, MAINTAIN 3,000.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

CBJSprague24 posted:

So, with everything I've seen/heard about still needing a chunk of time to get on at a regional in :canada: (especially watching the people on Ice Pilots try to do it Buffalo Joe's way)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxFhKo7sYWM&t=118s

...how in the hell did she get to Sunwing in 2-3 years?

Its really nothing as nefarious as the others has suggested. She says it herself - Cadet Program. A couple of the airlines in Canada, Jazz and Sunwing specifically, have been experimenting with picking the top x-number of students every year out of Seneca College and pumping them through a type rating and sticking them online with extra monitoring and mentorship. Plenty of white dudes going through that program too. I'm not the biggest fan of the program personally, as I don't think the academics and the airline training provided these candidates matches the calibre of the European model its based on but it seems to have not failed yet and its been going on a couple years. Actually if I'm honest, Seneca produces the most boring pilots to work with - all they have to talk about is flying; Canadian ERAU basically.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I said hi to Jerry on frequency today :3:

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
If you can hear him you are too close.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Sooo a couple months ago, on a whim, I applied to a certain LAS based LLC just to get my resume out there. Got a thanks but no thanks.

Today I got another email asking when I can come out to interview.

Oh snap.

Edit: LCC not LLC. Ah-lee-jent. You get it.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 22, 2020

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Sooo a couple months ago, on a whim, I applied to a certain LAS based LLC just to get my resume out there. Got a thanks but no thanks.

Today I got another email asking when I can come out to interview.

Oh snap.

:eyepop: oh snap

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
For reference, I’m the one that’s been whining hard about 135/91 but was unsure about starting fresh at a regional. This is both unexpected and exciting to me.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

e.pilot posted:

I said hi to Jerry on frequency today :3:

are you a controller? or were you just being the peanut gallery

:byodood: AIR TO AIR COMMUNICATIONS ARE ON 122.75 ONLY

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

are you a controller? or were you just being the peanut gallery

:byodood: AIR TO AIR COMMUNICATIONS ARE ON 122.75 ONLY

shhhhhh :ninja:

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Do communications sound this muddled sitting in the pilot seat/tower? How does anyone understand a word being said? The transmissions that aren't full of static are just mumbling pilots instead. I'm sure the jargon gets easier to parse with experience but goddamn. Without subtitles I'm lost.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

60 Hertz Jig posted:

Do communications sound this muddled sitting in the pilot seat/tower? How does anyone understand a word being said? The transmissions that aren't full of static are just mumbling pilots instead. I'm sure the jargon gets easier to parse with experience but goddamn. Without subtitles I'm lost.

The static like that is normal on HF radio, but not on VHF unless someone has a really lovely radio. You definitely develop an ear for it with experience but VHF is pretty clear. These recordings aren't usually very close to the transmitter so that's where the loss of strength typically comes from on liveatc.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Atc recordings are usually from enthusiasts with a ground-based antenna somewhere nearby, so the signals from the tower (and sometimes from the aircraft, depending on where they are) are getting attenuated a lot by all the trees and buildings and stuff in between.

When flying a plane (or taxiing around the airport) you have clear line of sight to the tower, and so you get a lot less static. Some people still mumble, but you just ask them to repeat themselves if you didn't get part of it.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006
Thanks, that makes total sense! My only radio experience is with low budget walkie talkies in workplaces and those are actually unintelligible across any distance. Thought I was hearing the same thing here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The transmissions are formatted in a specific way and use specific phrasing, so it becomes a lot easier once you know what you're listening for.

For instance, I might be inbound and say something like

"Tiny Airport tower, Skyhawk 1234Z, one thousand four hundred feet over Obvious Building, inbound for options with Yankee"

and I would expect in response something along the lines of

"1234Z, IDENT"
"1234Z, enter right downwind runway 20, report abeam the control tower"
"aircraft calling, standby"

or a few other things. They will not respond with "hey there, nice to see you, come on in!" or "give me a minute here, we're swamped" or "didn't catch that, where are you again and what's your callsign?". So once you get used to picking out the expected phrases it's not bad.

Of course, because you get used to a specific set of responses, there always is a risk that you'll just hear what you expect to hear and make a mistake. There was a post a few days ago where a pilot committed a runway incursion after being told to hold short -- if the guy was zoned out, it's totally possible that he just heard the runway number and automatically crossed because that's the instruction he expected. That's why readbacks and verifications are so important.

60 Hertz Jig posted:

Thanks, that makes total sense! My only radio experience is with low budget walkie talkies in workplaces and those are actually unintelligible across any distance. Thought I was hearing the same thing here.

FWIW the radios themselves can still be pretty crappy sometimes. I always have trouble making out what KPAO is saying, even when I'm in their pattern and I can hear the other planes around me perfectly. Some people are just mumbly and some equipment is just lovely. You do your best.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 22, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

60 Hertz Jig posted:

It makes a huge difference wearing a headset or helmet + there are a large but limited number of things that I say on the radio and they all pretty much happen at the same time every flight. Once you learn the pattern you can almost predict radio calls, which like Sagebrush said can become pretty risky.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions on loosening up - i think i found my hand position for maneuvers: pinky out!

I feel fancy.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Sagebrush posted:

FWIW the radios themselves can still be pretty crappy sometimes.

Yeah, I used to marvel at how one aircraft in particular at the airport I used to train at had such a bad radio in it, it sounded like someone was yelling inside a public toilet with a Dyson Airblade hand dryer running at the same time. I honestly couldn’t ever make out a word and it amazed me that the controllers in the tower could.

I swore to myself I would never allow myself to get lazy when it came to enunciating when making radio calls. It always shat me off when the pros would just mumble out a run-on sentence. Yeah, you get used to it because of syntax and all that, but gently caress guy, at least TRY to separate the words?!

I was pretty happy when the chief pilot told me he had heard me out on one of my solos when he was out with a student and how he loved to hear my radio calls because they were so good. :3:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m gonna clean my logs up for this interview, so people that have been transferring paper to digital lately, what log program are you using? I have a PC and keyboard now so both PC and iOS are ok.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I use myflightbook

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Using logtenpro based on recommendations. Not thrilled about the pricing model. Some dudes I work with said that your airline apps can link directly to your LogTen profile? Doing it on keyboard makes it way easier, but still tedious. I finally switched to logging from a printout of my hours than the book itself.

Wish there was a way to take this printout and import it directly.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Tangential to mishearing radio calls I feel the need to share my favorite aviation misunderstanding: when my CFI asked me if I had a "far aim" and I started to answer "well, I mean probably not going to fly professionally, I just enjoy it, maybe I'll buy a plane sometime" and then mid-sentence realized he meant "FAR/AIM" and had to bumble through the linguistic save.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

I think every new pilot goes through some version of that the first time they hear they need a "far aim." It's one of the rights of passage for a new student pilot like worrying way too much about what sort of headset to buy and wondering what the hell an e6b is the first time they see one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I always spell out F A R when I’m talking about them, to make it clear. “I don’t think that’s in the 7110, check the Eff Ay Arrs.”

Unrelated, I worked a citation pilot last week who didn’t know whether he was RVSM equipped and capable or not.

:crossarms:

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MrYenko posted:

I always spell out F A R when I’m talking about them, to make it clear. “I don’t think that’s in the 7110, check the Eff Ay Arrs.”

Unrelated, I worked a citation pilot last week who didn’t know whether he was RVSM equipped and capable or not.

:crossarms:

"Just in case, we're going to restrict you to FL280. Have a great flight, hope you packed extra gas"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

a patagonian cavy posted:

"Just in case, we're going to restrict you to FL280. Have a great flight, hope you packed extra gas"

That’s precisely what I did, at which point he suddenly became extremely sure that he was equipped and capable. I got what I needed out of him on a recorded line, but I still wonder...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I still don't know if it's mee-tar or meh-tar or may-tar

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s the first one if you’re not one of those weird pilots.

Also when I got hired at my current company as a CJ2 guy we had the owner request a trip from NC to UT before our RVSM was approved.

We made like 3 fuel stops, good times.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KodiakRS posted:

Oooh yeah, the Canadians haven’t been doing to well lately down here, that’s not the first time I’ve heard Jazz or AC get yelled at and threatened with “call this number”. If it’s the controller I’m thinking of I’ve met her personally and while nice she’s all business if things get lovely at ORD (which is most of the time).

It’s definitely a problem with the speed assignments they give on approach sometimes, I’ve had to coach multiple FOs that when assigned “fly X knots or better” that doesn’t mean you immediately start slowing to to the minimum speed assigned :doh:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Rolo posted:

if you’re not one of those weird pilots.

We're all weird, some of us are just better at hiding it than others.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

I still don't know if it's mee-tar or meh-tar or may-tar

Wait until you enter the exciting world of “how the gently caress is the fix pronounced?”

Is RIGOT rig-ot or rye-got? Is KIPEV kip-ev or kai-pev? And don’t get me started on XUBUM! No one knows!

Edit: what’s the rudest or cleverest fix name anyone here has seen? I can’t think of any good ones around here but there must be some good ones.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 23, 2020

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

Wait until you enter the exciting world of “how the gently caress is the fix pronounced?”

Is RIGOT rig-ot or rye-got? Is KIPEV kip-ev or kai-pev? And don’t get me started on XUBUM! No one knows!

The VOR approach at KPAE has this problem. The MAP is named “XUKRE”. Tower tells you “proceed direct the VOR, report missed approach” when you check in to avoid having to pronounce it.

Or the one in Florida that’s “MNATE”, and I always thought it was “emanate” until I heard “manatee” on the radio.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I just remembered XOXOM as a missed approach fix around here too. I assume zocks-um? What a mess.

I’d heard of MNATE before from YouTube.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

a patagonian cavy posted:

The VOR approach at KPAE has this problem. The MAP is named “XUKRE”. Tower tells you “proceed direct the VOR, report missed approach” when you check in to avoid having to pronounce it.

Or the one in Florida that’s “MNATE”, and I always thought it was “emanate” until I heard “manatee” on the radio.

m’nate :::tips wing:::

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PT6A posted:

Edit: what’s the rudest or cleverest fix name anyone here has seen? I can’t think of any good ones around here but there must be some good ones.

Off the coast out here I've seen PIRAT and BRINY, and over the valley are UTOOB and GGUGL.

In Las Vegas there are LUCKY and KSINO and LUXOR and MIRAJ

I think everyone knows about the sequence ITAWT -> ITAWA -> PUDYE -> TTATT in New Hampshire?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

PT6A posted:

There's a VOR somewhere in the upper midwest (Montana?) called Crazy Woman.

There's also an urban legend about a Fort Worth Center controller who kept forgetting to switch planes to approach so they named a bunch of fixes on the arrival something like PLEEZ JUSST SWTCH THEMM.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
DAFIX is on a STAR into the DC area with a crossing restriction. "Cross DAFIX at 10000" and you'll hear a lot of "cross what fix?" Da fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PT6A posted:

”Cleared direct cocksuck, RNAV one three approach Airglades airport, report a whore for your frequency change.”