Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Grouchio posted:

So what happens if the Senate acquits? Nothing? Or more GOP under a microscope?

The house should subpoena all the witnesses that the Senate refused to call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

eke out posted:

Schiff's good at this, putting him in charge was smart.

It's also very funny to me that trump's go-to for him is "pencil neck" because.. like.. it seems like Schiff is a reasonably tall and not particularly skinny dude?

I thought it was "shifty"?

That's another thing I hat about our toddler president: the loving dumb rear end nicknames. I mean, I hate everything about him for the most part but the childishness combined with the schoolyard boasting about he has the best, biggest most perfect everything ever and his uncle totally works at Nintendo eats at me more than some things.

Because our president is a god damned child. A criminal child with a lot of power. Just seeing him put the limits of our checks and balances to the test is disheartening and, again, reminds me of a little kid on a playground; breaking rules of hide and seek or kick the can and then going "I can too do that. I totally called it. What are you gonna do about, SmallerBoat?"

And then none of the teachers or the principals does poo poo.

EDIT: Actually, knowing Trump, it'd be "BOOGER Boat". Mods, change my name

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought it was "shifty"?

That's another thing I hat about our toddler president: the loving dumb rear end nicknames. I mean, I hate everything about him for the most part but the childishness combined with the schoolyard boasting about he has the best, biggest most perfect everything ever and his uncle totally works at Nintendo eats at me more than some things.

Because our president is a god damned child. A criminal child with a lot of power. Just seeing him put the limits of our checks and balances to the test is disheartening and, again, reminds me of a little kid on a playground; breaking rules of hide and seek or kick the can and then going "I can too do that. I totally called it. What are you gonna do about, SmallerBoat?"

And then none of the teachers or the principals does poo poo.

You have no idea what a white hot ball of rage Trump was when he was informed 'Professor Pee Pee Poopeypants' was already a character in childrens' media.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DandyLion posted:

Technically there's nothing in the constitution that says the President can't shoot anyone he wants to.

He just has to have the military do it for him, then it's perfectly fine.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

KillHour posted:

He just has to have the military do it for him, then it's perfectly fine.

He literally can do it himself. The president can't be charged with a crime.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Grouchio posted:

So what happens if the Senate acquits? Nothing? Or more GOP under a microscope?

This is basically setting up attack ads throughout the election season. The Democrats seem to be baiting the GOP into taking the bait over and over again with this. If Trump is underwater in many states like he looks to be all of the GOP that said obvious crimes weren't crimes are going to get slammed. It does double duty reminding the voters that Trump is guilty as sin. When even worse news breaks after they voted to not convict him they are going to look even worse since most of these idiots will be on the record voting against questioning witness and getting more evidence.

Basically they are too stupid to realize they are setting themselves up to fail unless I don't know Trump gets a brain transplant and becomes a competent President and decent human being overnight?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I think the hope is to make this go away so the media can focus on the new topic de jour and voters will forget about it. This is dependent on Trump keeping his nose clean for the next 8 months and no new dirt comes out. So yeah it's a stupid as gamble in order to hang on in 2020

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
them refusing to remove Trump over this will probably do more to get dem voters out than it will to suppress them and/or get republican voters to turn out, I think. I don't really think there's a true downside to all this besides the obvious "Trump remains in power."

This is hurting them badly and the more they stonewall and make an obvious sham of it the worse it's going to be.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Djarum posted:

This is basically setting up attack ads throughout the election season. The Democrats seem to be baiting the GOP into taking the bait over and over again with this. If Trump is underwater in many states like he looks to be all of the GOP that said obvious crimes weren't crimes are going to get slammed. It does double duty reminding the voters that Trump is guilty as sin. When even worse news breaks after they voted to not convict him they are going to look even worse since most of these idiots will be on the record voting against questioning witness and getting more evidence.

Basically they are too stupid to realize they are setting themselves up to fail unless I don't know Trump gets a brain transplant and becomes a competent President and decent human being overnight?

The point is to get vulnerable republicans between a rock and a hard place between Trump being very unpopular and the chuds who won't tolerate any kind of non support for their dear leader.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

oxsnard posted:

I think the hope is to make this go away so the media can focus on the new topic de jour and voters will forget about it. This is dependent on Trump keeping his nose clean for the next 8 months and no new dirt comes out. So yeah it's a stupid as gamble in order to hang on in 2020

yeah. he is gonna try to do this poo poo again and it will probably leak again. plus he will do more horrid poo poo. the best option they had was giving trump a slap on the wrist and mock scolding him but trump through a fit when they tried and here we are.

empty whippet box posted:

them refusing to remove Trump over this will probably do more to get dem voters out than it will to suppress them and/or get republican voters to turn out, I think. I don't really think there's a true downside to all this besides the obvious "Trump remains in power."

This is hurting them badly and the more they stonewall and make an obvious sham of it the worse it's going to be.

this too. there is no "good ending" for the GOP here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
the thing that enthuses me most is the hints of an intra GOP revolt over Mitch trying to avoid calling witnesses

it won't lead to removal, but if it leads to a public and, crucially, entertaining showcase of The Crimes, that's a win for the good guys

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this too. there is no "good ending" for the GOP here.

They already have the good ending. They got to steal 2 SCOTUS seats and fill 1/3 of the federal bench with 43 year old fascists.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

mcmagic posted:

They already have the good ending. They got to steal 2 SCOTUS seats and fill 1/3 of the federal bench with 43 year old fascists.

This. They've been playing the long game for 40 years, focusing on the courts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the thing that enthuses me most is the hints of an intra GOP revolt over Mitch trying to avoid calling witnesses

it won't lead to removal, but if it leads to a public and, crucially, entertaining showcase of The Crimes, that's a win for the good guys

it may. i think alot of senators just want to see the whole thing before they aquite. maybe few are genuinly on the fence but probably not enough.

mcmagic posted:

sure i meant with this specifically.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I've said this before but I think the GOP scenario with the highest upside is to boot out Trump, bypass the primaries and select a decorum pick that could grab up succ dems and hillbot votes against Sanders or Biden. Like Nikki Haley or something. With GDP, employment and stock market where they're at, they could probably thread the needle and hold onto power. They're gonna have to deal with the past Trump reckoning, and right now they're kicking the can

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/1219791129522122752

The usual crowd of idiots is trying to convince Democrats that Republicans totally wont gently caress them over on this, but for now, leadership isn't interested

I'd let Biden testify.

It could effectively end his candidacy, which I would not mind - OR - he could pull a Joseph Welch which might sweep in a Democrat senate in November.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

I'd let Biden testify.

It could effectively end his candidacy, which I would not mind - OR - he could pull a Joseph Welch which might sweep in a Democrat senate in November.

yeah. i feel like biden would actually get mad and probably say some good poo poo. then he would end on a highish note.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

oxsnard posted:

I've said this before but I think the GOP scenario with the highest upside is to boot out Trump, bypass the primaries and select a decorum pick that could grab up succ dems and hillbot votes against Sanders or Biden. Like Nikki Haley or something. With GDP, employment and stock market where they're at, they could probably thread the needle and hold onto power. They're gonna have to deal with the past Trump reckoning, and right now they're kicking the can

I don't think there is any republican that could win in a situation where they booted Trump off the ticket with how popular he is with the chuds.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I don't think there is any republican that could win in a situation where they booted Trump off the ticket with how popular he is with the chuds.

I know Trump is a completely different animal but they turned on GWB really loving fast

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

oxsnard posted:

I know Trump is a completely different animal but they turned on GWB really loving fast

He didn't have the cult of personality around him that Trump does.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

oxsnard posted:

Do you think Trump is going to ghost the political world, remain quiet for a few years, stay out of every controversy, and then reappear as a subdued, humble painter?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

mcmagic posted:

I think they could get mileage out of the "Trump is bad but Pence is WORSE" dialogue & push Pence to the top of the ticket. "Trump's handpicked successor, second in line to the Presidency", etc.

haveblue posted:

Do you think Trump is going to ghost the political world, remain quiet for a few years, stay out of every controversy, and then reappear as a subdued, humble painter?
Pushing Pence gives Trump the chance to ":smug: I launched his career by making him VP" if he wins and ":smug: I guess he just wasn't as good a leader as I was but hey, that's why he was the VICE" if he loses, and Trump somehow weaseling his way into a win-win (such as it is) is something I refuse to rule out.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i feel like biden would actually get mad and probably say some good poo poo. then he would end on a highish note.

10 years ago he probably could have pulled this off, but not today. His stammering and forgetting facts is really bad lately and the primary has shown that he does not react well AT ALL when called out on anything. It would not be a repeat of Clinton's benghazi marathon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

saltylopez posted:

10 years ago he probably could have pulled this off, but not today. His stammering and forgetting facts is really bad lately and the primary has shown that he does not react well AT ALL when called out on anything. It would not be a repeat of Clinton's benghazi marathon.

probably. but who knows. he might get mad enough since he sees some corrupt sack of poo poo and his "friends" attack his remaining son and him.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

mcmagic posted:

He literally can do it himself. The president can't be charged with a crime.
they're arguing that he can't even be investigated. pretty soon we won't be able to investigate any crimes because the president might have committed it and we just can't take that risk.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probably. but who knows. he might get mad enough since he sees some corrupt sack of poo poo and his "friends" attack his remaining son and him.

I doubt this would happen but I would actually respect Biden if he went down in a blaze of glory and took Trump with him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I doubt this would happen but I would actually respect Biden if he went down in a blaze of glory and took Trump with him.

honestly same. i dont like biden(i do like him more than butt and klob and the other centrists) but i would genuinly respect him if he did this.

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1220096751299891202

sounds like he is taking the high road or some such.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

"Why would I testify? I didn't try to rig a presidential election."

Is what I would have liked to hear

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

honestly same. i dont like biden(i do like him more than butt and klob and the other centrists) but i would genuinly respect him if he did this.

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1220096751299891202

sounds like he is taking the high road or some such.

This sounds exactly like what someone who didn't want to have to talk about the shady nepotism they engaged in in public though. Because that's probably what it is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1220068332109467648

it is tragic honestly. i like schiff and i think he is doing an amazing job.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah I've been impressed with him

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah I've been impressed with him

apperently cotton isnt even in DC right now. he just up at left. i am looking for source.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Schiff knows this, he's grandstanding because that's his job.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Lambert posted:

Schiff knows this, he's grandstanding because that's his job.

i know. he is just good at it.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Hunt11 posted:

What would this even look like?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

What would this even look like?

Some circus shitshow testimony that wound up being "wow they are both corrupt as gently caress let's vote Bernie"

Will never happen though, nothing is moving Trump's numbers in any meaningful way.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Schiff is great because he knows how to play the game. That's why he was such a great choice to lead the impeachment effort. Nadler was a disappointment for the most part.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Schiff is great because he knows how to play the game. That's why he was such a great choice to lead the impeachment effort. Nadler was a disappointment for the most part.

yeah. apperently he is good with investigations and poo poo, but he isnt a dude you get on stage for this kinda stuff. i am happy with how its going and i am happy that the chuds defence will be dumb insane poo poo thats for no one but their boss. sure he will get aquited but its not gonna sway people to his side.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'
So, when the loving turtle sweeps this all under the rug, the House can still conduct investigations in perpetuity, can't they? Especially with all this new evidence that keeps popping up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LaserShark posted:

So, when the loving turtle sweeps this all under the rug, the House can still conduct investigations in perpetuity, can't they? Especially with all this new evidence that keeps popping up?

of course they will. this isnt going away. plus trump will probably try this poo poo again and it will get leaked again.