Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Did they nerf the sword heal proccing on pots? I was hoping I could snatch an easy game before they did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Loads of changes!

quote:

Early Access Patch 037 - January 22, 2020

Thank you for all your feedback and excitement about yesterday's big Long Winter Update! This patch addresses several issues it introduced. Some changes we fully walked back and marked with * below. We're continuing to monitor impressions as we prepare additional patches for the coming days (or nights?).

General Gameplay
📢 Reduced prices of Boons sold by Charon
📢 Reduced price of Daedalus Hammer sold by Charon *
📢 Reduced price of augmented Boons and Poms sold by Charon in the Temple of Styx

Infernal Arms, Aspects, & Abilities
📢 Stygian Blade (Nemesis): increased Critical chance *
📢 Eternal Spear (Zagreus): reworked; now gives bonus damage, range, and speed to Skewer special
📢 Eternal Spear (Guan Yu): reduced penalty to life total and healing; replaced Skewer special with the new Firework Skewer, which deals area damage on its flight path and does not require retrieval
• Shield of Chaos (Zeus): increased damage rate of Throw special

Boons & Blessings
📢 Wave Pounding (Poseidon): newly added! Boons with knock-away deal bonus damage to bosses
• Blinding Flash (Athena): fixed an issue causing bonus damage from this to be less than expected
📢 Divine Dash (Athena): fixed an issue preventing this from activating Blinding Flash and Merciful End (Athena x Ares) as intended
• Life Affirmation (Aphrodite): increased power level at higher rarity
• Support Fire (Artemis): increased damage; increased power level at higher rarity
• Deadly Strike (Artemis): increased Critical chance; reduced damage to compensate *
• Arctic Blast (Demeter): increased damage
• Quick Reload (Hermes): significantly increased effect at higher rarity
• Increased power level of Chaos blessing effects at higher rarity *

Daedalus Hammer Upgrades
• Double Nova (Blade): slightly increased damage radius
• Cursed Slash (Blade): now restores 1 Life per hit (instead of a percentage)
📢 Charged Volley (Bow): slightly increased minimum range
📢 Charged Skewer (Spear): slightly increased minimum range
• Quick Rush (Shield): no longer removes the Bull Rush's innate knock-away effect
📢 Charged Throw (Shield): should now be more responsive to short button presses
• Hazard Bomb (Rail): increased damage; reduced self-damage
• Rocket Bomb (Rail): increased damage
📢 Explosive Fire (Rail): it's back; now briefly slows foes instead of staggering them

Foes & Encounters
📢 Thanatos: reduced maximum number of waves of foes in encounters with him in Elysium and Styx; slightly reduced total enemy counts in those encounters
📢 'Trial of the Gods': reduced radius of Demeter's attack if you spurn her
📢 Wave-Maker: reduced appearance rate in Asphodel
📢 Splitter: reduced appearance rate in Elysium
📢 Reduced damage rate of Poison effects in the Temple of Styx *
📢 Final Boss: toned down a particular combo attack...

Keepsakes & Items
• Evergreen Acorn (Eurydice): increased instances of damage absorption *
• Lucky Tooth (Skelly): fixed an issue causing this to restore less health than intended

Pact of Punishment
• Convenience Fee: reduced effect on shop prices (making this somewhat less punishing than before)

Rod of Fishing
• Fixed an issue causing Fishing Points to appear more often than intended in Tartarus
📢 Fish in the Temple of Styx now net you a tidy sum of Gemstones
📢 Increased how often fishing opportunities occur in the main hub in the Temple of Styx
📢 The Gameplay Timer and Tight Deadline (Pact) Timer pause while fishing ("Relax, boyo!" --Skelly)
📢 Taking damage now interrupts any fishing attempts ("Have you tried NOT standing in lava?" --Hypnos)
• Fish fake-out jukes are harder to detect
• Additional adjustments to timings trying to catch those blasted little...

Art & Visual FX
• Added reveal animation in the Weapon Aspects screen for the Aspect of Guan Yu
• Added unique icon for Demeter's Keepsake (note: this was included as part of a hotfix yesterday)
• Updated visual effect for Aspect of Guan Yu's Moon Cutter Spin attack
• Slightly reduced visual effect for Bloodless Burn-Flinger bomb blast
• Minor updates to some Elysium chambers and artwork
• Minor updates to the recently added chamber in Tartarus
• Minor updates to Charon's Shop in Tartarus
• Minor art fixes in the House of Hades
• Minor art fixes to visual effect for Mistral Dash (Demeter)
• Minor art fixes to Keepsake icons

Voice & Narrative
• Fixes to narrative scripting to some new events
• Fixed Inspect Point for the new Massive Weights decoration appearing prematurely
• Moved an Inspect Point about decorative pillars to a more appropriate-looking set of pillars
• Fixes and tuning to various contextual voice events

Miscellaneous
📢 Added mouse-wheel scrolling to the House Contractor screen
• Added simple interaction to Intricate Contraption and Bloodless Sculpture
• Small adjustment to gameplay timer formatting
• Minor text changes, clarifications, and fixes

Bug Fixes
📢 Fixed a progression blocker opening the Codex or Boon Info screens while fishing
📢 Fixed a progression blocker renovating Zagreus' bedchambers after a character conversation
📢 Fixed some House Contractor decorations being unavailable after deactivating the Scrying Pool
• Fixed Eternal Spear (Guan Yu) causing your burst-damage shield to activate more often than intended
📢 Fixed Crush Shot (Aphrodite) not destroying some obstacles as expected
📢 Fixed Atrophic (Chaos) curse removing more health than intended
• Fixed an issue causing Demeter Duo Boons to only show up from her, not her extended family
📢 Minor fixes to Cluster Bomb (Daedalus - Rail) blast preview
📢 Fixed Dusa's conversation indicator sometimes remaining visible after she bails on you
📢 Fixed Dusa sometimes not being visible after using Companion Fidi
• Fixed Skelly Codex entry showing incorrect unlock conditions in some cases
• Fixed Cursed Slash (Blade) stealing life from urns or even poor Cerberus in the Temple of Styx

Quote of the Patch
'Demeter's true concerns were not on Olympus, but on the earth. She presided over the crops, and over the grains in particular. For some reason she held the bean in contempt as impure.' ~Crowell's Handbook of Classical Mythology (E. Tripp)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Guessing they had a lot of feedback to use, and probably had already been workshopping stuff.
Still useful to have the patchnotes, though.
[edit=ninja'd]

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Liking the sound of that Wave Pounding boon from Poseidon, though.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Poseidon didn't need the buff, but hell, I'll have fun with that one.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Did they nerf the sword heal proccing on pots? I was hoping I could snatch an easy game before they did that.
Unfortunately so, and they changed it to heal 1 HP per hit instead of percentage healing.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Trying out the blitz disc. It's mostly underwhelming, but it does have a neat interaction with the explosion on shield catch hammer upgrade.
(Being able to recall the shield means the explosion can be easily spammed over and over again.)

RE: Patchnotes, wonder if they also fixed Guan Yu's aspect from getting health out of pots, or just cursed blade.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Loads of changes!

'Demeter's true concerns were not on Olympus, but on the earth. She presided over the crops, and over the grains in particular. For some reason she held the bean in contempt as impure.' ~Crowell's Handbook of Classical Mythology (E. Tripp)

lol gently caress you Demeter, no one even gives a poo poo about Greek grains but everyone loves hummus

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, they walked back or nerfed a lot of the changes I was having trouble adapting to. I'm guessing they want us to use the Acorn for Hades.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty sure Poseidon's popularity will skyrocket. He was already good and a Poseidon build completely annihilates Styx, which is a lot more dangerous than before.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 23, 2020

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Eraflure posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Poseidon's popularity will skyrocket. He was already good and a Poseidon build completely annihilates Styx, which is a lot more dangerous than before.

It makes up for Poseidon's major weakness but you still have to be lucky enough to run into Poseidon again after already having some of his boons, be offered the new bonus damage against bosses as one of the three options, and that still means having to take it in place of something else. I like that they chose to do it this way instead of just making bonus damage to bosses a baseline aspect of all Poseidon's abilities.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Eraflure posted:

A major contributor to my recent Poseidon clear was Tidal Dash + Breaking Wave + Greatest Reflex, letting me fling huge numbers of dudes into corners and get like ten chain water bursts on them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
That patch sounds good. I'm actually in the middle of a run pre-newnew patch with Zag Spear from last night. Did they rework it, then rework it back to how it was?

quote:

📢 Eternal Spear (Zagreus): reworked; now gives bonus damage, range, and speed to Skewer special

Also looks like they just walked back two of the 'nerfs' entirely to Artemis?

quote:

• Support Fire (Artemis): increased damage; increased power level at higher rarity
• Deadly Strike (Artemis): increased Critical chance; reduced damage to compensate *

Are prices also back to what they were?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Instincts after getting a round in post-patch:

- Game balance generally feels mostly back to what it was pre-update, though some things still feel kinda wonky.
- I can use it, but Demeter's cast is still not my favorite. At least I only have one more boon to go to complete the prophecy.
- Styx remains way more dangerous than it was pre-update.
- Having lost on the final boss, i'm not sure if it's legitimately gotten harder to win this fight than before the update or I just had a bad boon setup (and experimenting with Eurydice's Acorn probably didn't help either).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Xaris posted:

That patch sounds good. I'm actually in the middle of a run pre-newnew patch with Zag Spear from last night. Did they rework it, then rework it back to how it was?

Anything marked with an asterisk is a full walkback; the other changes are just partial reversions.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How do you unlock the last aspect for all the weapons?

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Timetravel to the future when they have been released.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
lol they added a 10 second internal cd to Broken Spearpoint, no wonder out of 3 or 4 attempts I only made it past Elysium once yesterday

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

The nerfs to Support Fire were really strong. At heroic it did like 13 damage, down from 24 or something, and each Pom only gave it +1 damage. I haven't tried this patch yet but I'm guessing they made it better but not as strong as it was on Monday.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kill All Cops posted:

lol they added a 10 second internal cd to Broken Spearpoint, no wonder out of 3 or 4 attempts I only made it past Elysium once yesterday
Yeah it's basically dead. Myrmidon, although down from 40 to 30% seems to be a solid choice which I what I just used. If you get lucky, the Well of Charon one could be good going into Hades iwth +casts, +speed, +attack, etc on you. I should try the Eternal Acorn thing since they seem to really want you to be using it more.

I just beat Hades with Zag Spear pre-new patch on Heat 5. Theoretically nothing that I was using before was exactly nerfed, at least according to the patch notes, but it felt a lot harder, like I was getting smashed by his spin way more, and his first adds took way longer to kill than before. Weirdly it felt like my invuln-frames were less or dash or something wasn't as responsive, idk hard to explain but there was something 'sticky/janky' feeling about the whole thing.

Keeping my distance just spamming Blizzard Shot seemed to be welll enough and let me beat it while blowing all 3 of my Death Defiances, but I'd really get wrecked anytime I went in for a Spin-dash (even with Faster Spin hammer upgrade + Spin Area upgrade along with +10 damage from Zag Spear. Surprisingly that combo was good, but even going all-in not as good as I expected and ended up relying on my Cast for Styx and Hades). Going to update and see if it feels different with the new patch.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 23, 2020

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

just completed a 5 heat run with the post new patch Guan Yu spear

the new special is good and I got lucky and got both spin attack upgrades so it just blended enemies into a fine paste

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there anyway to revert an update? The masochist in me kind of wants to win with the old Spear before using the new one.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
I've not played post 'hotfix' patch, but initial impressions with a fully-upgraded guan yu spear (so, 40hp total) were pretty negative; kiting enemies to get off more spin attacks to recover HP slows the pace, while standard gameplay is designed to be pretty hectic. In general, standing still charging an attack (like the bow) really doesn't sit well with me; I think it ruins the flow of the game.

Fishing is another odd choice too - the standard gameplay loop seems to be about pace, when fishing deliberately stops that. Maybe I'm just angry that my fish always get away. When are you supposed to reel them in!?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Krazyface posted:

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there anyway to revert an update? The masochist in me kind of wants to win with the old Spear before using the new one.

the duality of man

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

buildmorefarms posted:

I've not played post 'hotfix' patch, but initial impressions with a fully-upgraded guan yu spear (so, 40hp total) were pretty negative; kiting enemies to get off more spin attacks to recover HP slows the pace, while standard gameplay is designed to be pretty hectic. In general, standing still charging an attack (like the bow) really doesn't sit well with me; I think it ruins the flow of the game.

Fishing is another odd choice too - the standard gameplay loop seems to be about pace, when fishing deliberately stops that. Maybe I'm just angry that my fish always get away. When are you supposed to reel them in!?

fishing is simple, you just press the button once the fish actually bites, signifed by the float going under the... liquid. It's mostly just a nice source of easy gems I think. You'd need them to get through the drat contractors list.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Played with new spear and won on the first try. Unsurprisingly, vampirism is a broken effect when you have enough HP to not die in 1-2 hits.

Honestly the spin and special are cool but the HP steal is just lame. It breaks a lot of the game's balance. Giving you an HP pool that can endure more than one attack made the weapon swing from incredibly bad to laughably broken. You can just stay topped off for the entire game and breeze through everything. Bosses are the only issue but everything else is so easy you should be able to take them now that you won't be oneshot.

Would rather them just cut out the HP mechanic entirely.

buildmorefarms posted:

You reel them in once the bobber goes under the water. Its just like Animal Crossing fishing.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I finally got to the last boss on an Artemis/Ares Hera Bow run and thought I won! And then I hadn't actually won and died immediately like a complete scrub. I'm sad now. :(

Demeter will not pop for me I've been playing all drat day and have done like 6 runs through Elysium and ain't seen that lady once. Hoping that bitching about it online will make her show up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Krazyface posted:

Honestly that wasn’t even the broken part, it was the percentage-based heal that meant you finished every fight on 100% so you didn’t even need to abuse healing on pots to top up after

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oh i wondered why the run seemed so gentle. I'd heard about how much harder the earlier patch made it, did a run and it wasn't so bad, then found out about the un-nerfs. The screen got zoomed out, right? That's the part I had the most trouble adapting to. The demeter +30% damage to everything when you're out of gems is theoretically nuts but wow I kept forgetting to use it.

The final boss was noticeably harder, I had a very strong build with privileged status active the whole time and he still did a good 360 damage to me over the course of the fight.

Also what does "disciple of hermes" mean? I had the same text when I finished my run (which had nothing in common with yours).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 23, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Could be related to clear speed? Like if you clear it really fast maybe you get Champion of Hermes or something

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope

No Wave posted:

Also what does "disciple of hermes" mean? I had the same text when I finished my run (which had nothing in common with yours).

Willing to bet it's a title based on your clear time; there's likely more flowery ones the faster you go.

^^^^CURSE YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

buildmorefarms posted:

Willing to bet it's a title based on your clear time; there's likely more flowery ones the faster you go.

^^^^CURSE YOU

Looks like I’m Hermes’ Champion today :agesilaus:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

buildmorefarms posted:

^^^^CURSE YOU
I'd considered it but I had a 25 minute clear and was also a disciple of hermes which seems off (not that 25 minutes is impressive, but you'd think there would be some difference between 25/36 unless they were both the lowest rank).

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'd like to state for the record Demeter showed up in the very next run as a forced pop in the first room even though I had the Artemis trinket equipped. Based off the dialogue it looks like she won't show up until you reach the surface and feel the cold winds there. Don't have to kill the end boss though because I ain't done that yet.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
A completely unrelated question; do the god-specific-boon keepsakes work more than once? Or is there zero reason to leave them on after you've completed an act?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

how do i unlock new spear aspect? is it just usual titan blood? asking because the option didn't appear when i popped it open earlier, though that might be a bug

EDIT: afaik, god boon trinkets are once a run

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I had one run earlier featuring the title "Poor as a Pauper" as well as a title-less one, so it looks like it's not (necessarily) related to clear speeds. Maybe it's just based on some particular element of the run, like having extremely much/little gold, a lot of boons from a particular god, and so on?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

buildmorefarms posted:

A completely unrelated question; do the god-specific-boon keepsakes work more than once? Or is there zero reason to leave them on after you've completed an act?

I think the rarity boost stays active but the forced spawn only happens once. So not quite zero reason, but you probably don't want to keep it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I wish I could get Zeus or Demeter to talk about each other because her trash talking the other Olympians about how easily she could ruin them at anytime has been pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I greatly appreciate all the dialogue added for the sole purpose of loving with Orpheus.