Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I've always wanted a WSM but always struggle to justify one because the Kettle is like 90% as good at smoking stuff and is also a great grill and also my wife will kill me if I buy another smoker/grill.

Basically if you want a do-it-all thing get a Kettle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've got both, the WSM can take a while to get set up and running. It's also quite a consumer of charcoal if all you want is like wings or something. Whenever I fire mine up I make at least 10 pounds of meat because that's around where it becomes practical and cost effective.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

um excuse me posted:

I've got both, the WSM can take a while to get set up and running. It's also quite a consumer of charcoal if all you want is like wings or something. Whenever I fire mine up I make at least 10 pounds of meat because that's around where it becomes practical and cost effective.

This is why I like the knockoff kamado grill, it does double duty as a high-temp grill and a low and slow smoker, but it's super efficient with the charcoal.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

um excuse me posted:

Same. I was trying to convince the wife that we should get a WSM and she thought I could smoke things on the grill just fine so she said no. My father-in-law visited for Christmas and said he wanted ribs AND brisket and bought us the 22” WSM. He got what he wanted!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have any tips on doing a whole short rib plate? The ribs themselves are long so my first instinct is to cut them across the ribs with a saw into smaller pieces, but not sure how that would hold up or if that's the best approach. Otherwise could keep them whole and then slice off the bone to serve, but I imagine part of the fun is the rib too. Any ideas would be great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Alright I removed one of the gaskets on my Egg and scraped it with a Pumie scouring stone. I think I went over it twice with the stone.

Before I go on, does this look clean enough to put the new gasket on without any problems?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
The only thing I can see is the lotus seed pod

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Goddamn I did some 3/2/1 ribs today and I went to unwrap the foil after the 2 and they were already falling apart. It was basically a pile of meat and bones when all was said and done and it tasted phenomenal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I. M. Gei posted:

Before I go on, does this look clean enough to put the new gasket on without any problems?

Assuming you’ve wiped all the dust off with a damp rag and let it then dry, it’s probably cleaner than it was during original application! Godspeed!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Goddamn I did some 3/2/1 ribs today and I went to unwrap the foil after the 2 and they were already falling apart. It was basically a pile of meat and bones when all was said and done and it tasted phenomenal.

Very nice. If those are baby back ribs instead of spare ribs that might be why they are falling apart, since they need less time than spare ribs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

Alright I removed one of the gaskets on my Egg and scraped it with a Pumie scouring stone. I think I went over it twice with the stone.

yeah. wipe down with a wet rag, let it dry and then a final wipe of iso alcohol just to be sure there's no residue

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well my masterbuilt finally poo poo the bed. The control panel is pooched and Masterbuilt doesn't make that panel anymore.

Before I get another masterbuilt, there are some other local options as well. Traeger has some dealers here including costco. Also there is a dealer that sells Pit Boss smokers.

I'm leaning towards another electric smoker just because I do most of my smoking while its very very cold out (-30 and below) and the larger gas jobs tend to struggle at those temps (or just burn 2x the fuel)

Anyone have opinions on pit boss smokers ? Anything else I should look at that can do electric heating ?

Also until now ive done wood chips, what are pellets like ?

Edit: Oh I'm a dummy, the pellet smokers use the pellets as fuel. I thought they used gas and just burned some pellets for flavour.

How are the pellet smokers for longer cooks, like a 15lb 13 hr brisket, what kind of pellet usage will I see ?
Kinda interested in this one: https://pitboss-grills.com/Shop-Pit-Boss/Grills/wood-pellet/1000sc-wood-pellet-grill

jonathan fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 22, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
The Weber pellet smokers look interesting. If you have the cash to get one, I'd hold off on a Pit Boss and wait until spring. The reviews seem good, but they're pre-production units sent to mostly BBQ blogs for early (paid?) reviews.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Aren’t the Weber pellet smokers gonna be super expensive?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

Aren’t the Weber pellet smokers gonna be super expensive?

Says the owner of a BGE...

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Canuckistan posted:

Says the owner of a BGE...

It’s not mine, remember? My dad bought it, I just cook on it.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 22, 2020

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of ceramic cooking, anyone ever try making a DIY pottery smoker/grill? It's just cheap enough where I'd give it a shot if people can vouch for it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

But yeah, the Weber SmokeFires are gonna start out at $1,000, as opposed to a Pit Boss which starts at $400.

The SmokeFires are supposed to go up to 600° though, and Weber is a great company that makes really awesome grills, so it might be worth it. I’d consider getting one for my next apartment if I have an extra grand I can afford to burn.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
those are bge priced

um excuse me posted:

Speaking of ceramic cooking, anyone ever try making a DIY pottery smoker/grill? It's just cheap enough where I'd give it a shot if people can vouch for it.

alton brown did one a long time ago and it looked like a stupid mess

just buy a used one, they're so cheap

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I’m stressed and anxious to spend (as of January 1st this year) $350 on a pit barrel cooker :sigh:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BraveUlysses posted:

those are bge priced

alton brown did one a long time ago and it looked like a stupid mess

just buy a used one, they're so cheap

The smoker he recommends is made of a cardboard box. Hotplate, cast iron pan, wood chips, box.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Carillon posted:

Anyone have any tips on doing a whole short rib plate? The ribs themselves are long so my first instinct is to cut them across the ribs with a saw into smaller pieces, but not sure how that would hold up or if that's the best approach. Otherwise could keep them whole and then slice off the bone to serve, but I imagine part of the fun is the rib too. Any ideas would be great.

Can you post a pic of what they look like? Maybe with a scale to properly show off the size.

I've always served my ribs on the bone. It's less mucking around, gives you something to hold on to while you're eating, and makes you feel like the top dog. The last time I cooked ribs, they were in a plate of 6, so I just cut them into 2 rib servings before seasoning and adding to the smoker

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

um excuse me posted:

The smoker he recommends is made of a cardboard box. Hotplate, cast iron pan, wood chips, box.

Pretty sure he's referring to an episode where Alton uses ceramic potting plants to make a ceramic cooker.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fall Dog posted:

makes you feel like the top dog

this is an underrated element. CONQUERING your food is way more satisfying than merely consuming it

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
That's why I keep a knife block full of machetes around for steak night

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whenever I do short ribs I cut them ahead of time so that each rib has it's own 4oz strip of meat still attached. I don't do the entire rack all together. If you pre cut them (or have the butcher do it) you'll get more surface area for flavour. They basically remind me of extra flavourful strips of brisket. I just toss em in and set a timer for 6 hours @ 225F

Never failed me yet. Oh and I only give them smoke for the first couple hours. A simple pepper and garlic rub and a couple hours of smoke seems to do well, these are a less is more type meat when it comes to seasoning.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

jonathan posted:

Whenever I do short ribs I cut them ahead of time so that each rib has it's own 4oz strip of meat still attached. I don't do the entire rack all together. If you pre cut them (or have the butcher do it) you'll get more surface area for flavour. They basically remind me of extra flavourful strips of brisket. I just toss em in and set a timer for 6 hours @ 225F

Never failed me yet. Oh and I only give them smoke for the first couple hours. A simple pepper and garlic rub and a couple hours of smoke seems to do well, these are a less is more type meat when it comes to seasoning.

I smoke them in 8 lbs slabs.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I smoke them in 8 lbs slabs.

And then? Some of those ribs seem pretty big for one person.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carillon posted:

And then? Some of those ribs seem pretty big for one person.

everyone gets their hands tied behind their backs and the slab is thrown into the middle of the table as the cook yells “devour!”

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Subjunctive posted:

everyone gets their hands tied behind their backs and the slab is thrown into the middle of the table as the cook yells “devour!”

It’s the best way to see who is the strongest

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I finally finished changing out the gaskets on my Egg a couple of days ago. Do I need to run it at a low temperature for a few hours to cure the new gaskets like I did the old ones?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I just went crazy and ordered a Weber Summit Charcoal and a new Guru CyberQ.

My gas grill died (thanks loving rat family) and my WSM and old school BBQ Guru Competitor is going on 15 years old.

Frytakemymoney.gif

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

I finally finished changing out the gaskets on my Egg a couple of days ago. Do I need to run it at a low temperature for a few hours to cure the new gaskets like I did the old ones?

So many flash backs.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=202#post481691287

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Got a new grill and figured I'd post a trip report. Do most of my smoking on a Weber Kettle but wanted to have an "easy mode" option when I have less time to babysit. Was considering either a MES or a pellet grill of some kind.

Ended up opting for a Camp Chef DLX24 and was able to find a great sale price. For my first cook I did a spatchcocked garlic and herb chicken, some halved tomatoes, and asparagus. The grill was incredibly easy to use and the chicken was easily the best I've ever made, and maybe the best chicken I've ever had. Nice and crispy on the outside, suuuuper juicy and flavorful on the inside, and even got a lil baby smoke ring.

Planning on doing a whole mess of ribs for the game this weekend, but so far, A++++.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dy. posted:

Got a new grill and figured I'd post a trip report. Do most of my smoking on a Weber Kettle but wanted to have an "easy mode" option when I have less time to babysit. Was considering either a MES or a pellet grill of some kind.

Ended up opting for a Camp Chef DLX24 and was able to find a great sale price. For my first cook I did a spatchcocked garlic and herb chicken, some halved tomatoes, and asparagus. The grill was incredibly easy to use and the chicken was easily the best I've ever made, and maybe the best chicken I've ever had. Nice and crispy on the outside, suuuuper juicy and flavorful on the inside, and even got a lil baby smoke ring.

Planning on doing a whole mess of ribs for the game this weekend, but so far, A++++.

Very nice! Is this a pellet deal? I’ve wondered how those go...

Tomorrow is new grill day for me. I’m nervous!

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

Very nice! Is this a pellet deal? I’ve wondered how those go...

Tomorrow is new grill day for me. I’m nervous!
Yeah, it's my second pellet grill. I had a Green Mountain Grill Davy Crockett, which was a small tailgate-sized model. I bought it used and I'm not convinced it ever really worked right. The temperatures were really inconsistent and it seemed like a lot of direct heat was coming off of the body and overcooking the meat. Very happy with the new one.

Always wondered about those fancy Weber's, I just have the ole kettle that I love.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dy. posted:

Always wondered about those fancy Weber's, I just have the ole kettle that I love.

My old gasser has, over a year and a half, become a rat condo. Nothing I can do keeps them out and enough is now broken that it would be a grand in parts to fix. I paid $1500 for it a decade ago. So good money after bad.

Took me three hours with some interruptions to assemble the Weber Summit Charcoal. Did a 30 minute burn in at 500f and then did some amazing flank steaks at 400f. Was very easy to dial in 400. Seems to be pretty efficient, and I’ve heard low gems can be tough but I’ve got a BBQ Guru to help manage that. The dumb little gas starter for the charcoal is pretty great. Was weird not having to use a chimney starter.

I also have a WSM that’s 12-15 years old, and has been good, but I can see myself using the Summit for smoking and grilling both.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I use my kettle for quick smoke like a small prime rib, wings, etc. If I want to do more then the WSM is king. Much easier to keep dialed in versus the stock kettle.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For Sunday I'm going to smoke either some boneless beef short ribs, or a 2lb brisket. Maybe both. It's just me and my parents, so I don't need to cook a whole lot. Thawing out today, applying rub tomorrow, smoking on Sunday.

I'm using a portable Masterbuilt Electric and I'd love any advice on cooking these. I know the usual advice for brisket is cook at 225 until 203 in the middle - Char-Broil's website says cook until 190. How much different will that be?

As for the short ribs, I found a recipe that seems simple enough: http://tipsforbbq.com/Recipes/Beef/Boneless-Beef-Short-Ribs - but any advice or pointers are welcome.

Here's the brisket - should I trim any of this fat? Doesn't seem like there's much to begin with, but tell me if I'm wrong.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Looks like just the flat? How heavy is that brisket?

Don’t trim it.