Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Whoops. Turns out playing a duplication potion on an "end your turn" attack isn't actually a clever way to squeeze in an extra attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
So sharp you cut yourself, huh ? :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Straight White Shark posted:

Whoops. Turns out playing a duplication potion on an "end your turn" attack isn't actually a clever way to squeeze in an extra attack.

It won't give you two turns from Vault, either.

One interesting effect of Vault is that if you use it as the 12th card against Time Eater, he doesn't buff his strength but the counter still resets.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

rabidsquid posted:

i meant omnipotence into wish, i forgot where they moved the armored plating to

I’ve won several runs with this + a bunch of draw and pressure points. Who needs much block when you have 16 plated armor.

Combining this with the card that gives weak when you gain block is also a pro-move because both plated armor and armor from calm proc it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I started a Defect game without cracked core and decided to try a claw run. Found relics that increased strength and defense on every three attacks, so I just went all in on claws and draws. All for One (put all 0-cost cards from discard into hand) was the MVP. Probably the easiest deck I've played so far, but I'm still pretty new.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I started a Defect game without cracked core and decided to try a claw run. Found relics that increased strength and defense on every three attacks, so I just went all in on claws and draws. All for One (put all 0-cost cards from discard into hand) was the MVP. Probably the easiest deck I've played so far, but I'm still pretty new.

that is legitimately one of defect's good strats (though it may not work as well on higher ascensions)

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Claw works, but that's mostly because frost orbs are dumb and break everything if you can get some focus.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Having a a few good 0 cost cards can be great in Act 1, but they start to antisynergize later unless you build in enough draw to use all your energy and have a way of scaling (which having both shuriken and kunai provides). Without anything else claw is an card that only attacks, and usually it doesn't scale fast enough to justify it.

Meanwhile an orb-heavy deck just needs biased cognition and it's good to go for both offense and defense.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, I imagine there's more to think about, but I was basically shuffling through multiple hands of 0-cost cards every turn and dishing out 30-damage claws in boss fights.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The problem is you're putting multiple cards that do nothing the first few times you play them into your deck. This will bleed you to death in non boss fights on higher ascensions.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

As far as I'm concerned "That doesnt work on higher ascensions" doesnt mean "Dont play that deck" it means "Try that now, because its fun and it probably wont work later". If you are on low ascension, play the fun thing. It might not work when you have played more and the difficulty has cranked up, so play it while you have a chance. There's 20 ascensions, you'll have loads of time playing the reliably good stuff, but a relatively short period where the shonky gimmick deck will be viable.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I was going to add some more but got caught up in work stuff. Like how you can go with less claws and add more useful cards that bounce or cycle to get the same effect as more claws while being alot better and more versatile.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nrook posted:

Of course, in the end, I think we all know what the best mantra card is.

victory or death

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Klaus Kinski posted:

I was going to add some more but got caught up in work stuff. Like how you can go with less claws and add more useful cards that bounce or cycle to get the same effect as more claws while being alot better and more versatile.

Yeah, Hologram+ is amazing in 0-cost decks. Worst case scenario it's a Defend that gives you another Claw, best case scenario it's a Defend that gives you another All For One.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ugh I had a good snecko eye deck going on the silent, but I forgot to take the key at the last fireplace... The heart will have to wait for another time. This was the third run in a row I got offered snecko eye after the first boss. It was pretty fun with a bunch of 2-cost cards.

Is there weird math that goes on for transient and poison? I swear I had it arranged so that the poison should have dropped the rest of its strength but I took damage during 2 turns. It's possible I just did the math wrong though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Remember that if the transient is Weak, damage is less effective than it looks. That’s what typically mixes me up.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Transient fight is really weird in that regard, isn’t it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nrook posted:

Remember that if the transient is Weak, damage is less effective than it looks. That’s what typically mixes me up.

Oh yeah that must have been it. Oh well, it didn't matter in the end.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Nothing special about this run, except I don't think I have picked up so many relics before.

33 relics and only 25 cards!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Just played this for the first time after buying it during the winter sale. Didn't stop playing it for four hours until I beat it as the Ironclad:

My main tactic was getting Firebreathing as quickly as possible, then hitting myself with as many status cards as possible until every turn was just my relics and my festering wounds and diseases exploding enemies over and over :v:

Awesome game, I don't even really like card games that much but man it's just so satisfying

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Songbearer posted:

Just played this for the first time after buying it during the winter sale. Didn't stop playing it for four hours until I beat it as the Ironclad:

My main tactic was getting Firebreathing as quickly as possible, then hitting myself with as many status cards as possible until every turn was just my relics and my festering wounds and diseases exploding enemies over and over :v:

Awesome game, I don't even really like card games that much but man it's just so satisfying

Lol that's cool, until the update like a week ago firebreathing was a completely different card (deal 1 damage to all enemies at the end of turn for each attack you played) and it was trash -- the new version sounds way more fun and as somebody with like 100 hours logged im as excited as you are to play around with it :cheers:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
It's great. My biggest gripe with the Switch version right now is that it still has the old Firebreathing :argh:

Can't wait to have Watcher on Switch. She's all I'm playing on PC for now. So much fun poo poo in that deck.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shine posted:

It's great. My biggest gripe with the Switch version right now is that it still has the old Firebreathing :argh:

Can't wait to have Watcher on Switch. She's all I'm playing on PC for now. So much fun poo poo in that deck.

Me too, the Watcher has completely spoiled me.

I'm sure I'll go back at some point to enjoy the more common/cheaper relics with the other characters at some point, but it won't be the same. The Watcher's deck is just delightful, bad draws practically don't exist.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Deal 18 damage 12 times

Gosh, the Watcher is pretty fuckin absurd sometimes

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Sockser posted:

Deal 18 damage 12 times

Gosh, the Watcher is pretty fuckin absurd sometimes

I love when I can turtle long enough to make this kind of poo poo happen :allears:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Shine posted:

I love when I can turtle long enough to make this kind of poo poo happen :allears:

I had the suicide card + Necronomicon, wasn't even really a turtle. Was running a serious glass cannon build.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

SiKboy posted:

As far as I'm concerned "That doesnt work on higher ascensions" doesnt mean "Dont play that deck" it means "Try that now, because its fun and it probably wont work later". If you are on low ascension, play the fun thing. It might not work when you have played more and the difficulty has cranked up, so play it while you have a chance. There's 20 ascensions, you'll have loads of time playing the reliably good stuff, but a relatively short period where the shonky gimmick deck will be viable.

correct this is what I meant by it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I am the final boss now.

Climb my spire, stupid Heart.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Goes perfectly with your 3 energy/turn!

Just had a fun watcher run where I got to the act 1 boss with a relatively thin deck, relic options sucked so I picked astrolabe, got Blasphemy + Signature Move + Scrawl. Holy poo poo that was a lot of fun, came up cold against the heart but things were pretty silly up until then.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I had a similar thing happen when I had a mummified hand :swoon:

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

Goes perfectly with your 3 energy/turn!

Yeah, that looks like a loss to me. I can't even imagine there's enough block left in the deck to get any use out of the barricade.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
day9 is streaming this right now and he's decent at it.

update: well, he's okay at it.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 23, 2020

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The box is good enough to win with especially with the great relics you've picked up, but how the hell do you have a deck with 9 strike/defends, 1 bash, and 2 cards you actually picked up going into the A1 boss? Or do the cards being boxed not show up in the deck list in the corner until after you leave that screen?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Impermanent posted:

He passed up a floor 2 Genetic Algorithm to take a Storm. When he didn't have any powers in his deck.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

He passed up a floor 2 Genetic Algorithm to take a Storm. When he didn't have any powers in his deck.

update update: he's like..... capable of doing some ascension runs.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Impermanent posted:

I watched him play this like a year and a half back. He wasn't exactly great at it (is he at anything but starcraft?) but it was very entertaining.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Ultima66 posted:

The box is good enough to win with especially with the great relics you've picked up, but how the hell do you have a deck with 9 strike/defends, 1 bash, and 2 cards you actually picked up going into the A1 boss? Or do the cards being boxed not show up in the deck list in the corner until after you leave that screen?

Then the question becomes how you manage to add 11 cards to your deck in act 1.

This could win (almost entirely due to meat on the bone) even on higher ascensions if you get good encounters and some block cards. Or reaper.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

Yeah, the screenshot is at a transition period where it deleted all the strikes/defends but hadn't added those new cards in yet.

pyromance posted:

Yeah, that looks like a loss to me. I can't even imagine there's enough block left in the deck to get any use out of the barricade.

It ended up doing pretty alright. Yes I got the 5x apparition midway through A2, what of it? :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

looks good

e: scrolled down, I was right