Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

how do people even find webcomics these days

I'm wracking my brain because post-project wonderful I can't find any way to get eyes on poo poo without paying in blood

it's 2020 and for the second time in my life I'm trying to cope with dominic deegan pulling bigger numbers than me

There is a replacement for project wonderful that sprung up recently: https://www.comicad.net/

It's not nearly as big yet, but it's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grantaire
Jul 16, 2009

oh what a world

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Post them in this thread.

oh yeah that's the ticket

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think the current method of getting traffic is to say something scathing on Twitter and pray the algorithm gods bless you with attention.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Post them in this thread.

I mean, I definitely have, but I'm scared of being That Guy Who Won't Shut Up About His Thing

comicad is good but it doesn't yet have the size and variety project wonderful had, it has made me some money but it's still really weak as an advertising method

edit: specifically, so I'm not just taking a vague poo poo on comicad: project wonderful worked with a lot of webcomics but also a lot of game and game adjacent sites. My comic's some of that interactive homestuck style bullshit that, for marketing purposes, historically resonates better with people looking for games than with those looking for webcomics. My absolute beeest results was targeting various video game forums and poo poo on project wonderful. Comicad has a faint whiff of a couple of those types of sites (like Improbable Island, who I've basically been trading money with) but it's 95% webcomics

which is fine, but it lightly kicks me in the dick

but I also can't market to traditional gaming outlets because it's not, in a way that matters, a game

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 20, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't really know how actually effective it is, but this:

Bongo Bill posted:

Post the comics directly on social media and make them hashtag relatable.

Definitely seems like the strategy a lot of content creators are taking. Make an account on tumblr or twitter that advertises updates and funnels people to the website, and then a cross between algorhythmic schenanigans and users of that social media site sharing your work with their followers draws people in.

I don't really know the specifics, but I've been given the impression that a lot of the wide open web of the 2000s has been compressed into these content aggregation sites.

If you have a specific target audience of people who you think will like your work, you could even dive in directly to sites that have a community that you think will be receptive and do things like posting in their forums or subreddits, although that may get hairy between individual sites' posting policies and having to deal with communities.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
In the Monster Pulse death watch we've reached the point of ether understanding or all hell breaking loose.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

In the Monster Pulse death watch we've reached the point of ether understanding or all hell breaking loose.

i love how blunt ayo is in her hate of ayo in comparison to Bina who does feel a kind of guilt about the feelings

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Given Ayo’s hatred of Bina as a representation of weakness, which Ayo is tied to and endangered by, its kinda ironic that they’re both dying because Ayo got stabbed in a way that has nothing to do with Bina’s own frailty or strength.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

rannum posted:

i love how blunt ayo is in her hate of ayo in comparison to Bina who does feel a kind of guilt about the feelings

Well, we're privy to seeing the whole picture of Bina because she's the protagonist, but from an outside perspective she's kind of a really lovely person, so it's not surprising that Ayo is also a reflection of that aspect of her. It's one of the reasons I really like Bina as a character. She's said and done so much stuff over the course of the comic that would make her a horrible person but at the end of the day her heart is in the right place, no pun intended, and it shines through in other ways.

Also lol if the thing that pulls Ayo and Bina back together is their mutual selfish hatred of one another :buddy:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
I guess I can talk about my comic here a bit. I've been doing "The Fuzzy Princess" for over 3 years now (I started it in late 2016), with more on the way. I realize the rather newspaper comics-ish drawing style might be a turnoff for some people, although I'm having fun with it, either way.

I had a successful Kickstarter last year for the first book, which collected the first year of the comic. I'm gonna do another one in the coming weeks for the second book. I'm pretty excited about it because I think the comic really improved in the 2nd year. Also it has an introduction by Dana Simpson of "Phoebe and Her Unicorn" fame, which really made my day when I got it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sleepless Domain: :frogsiren:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

Sleepless Domain: :frogsiren:

For the love of god, Undine, take the L.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The Skybox is over. I thought the final arc was a bit anticlimactic, but not too bad.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ConanThe3rd posted:

For the love of god, Undine, take the L.

Wait so what is Undine hiding? I thought she was reasonably upfront. Or is this just Cassidy being a paranoid jerk?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
She hasn't told anybody but Kokoro about Goopy, which is actually important information that nearly got Rue killed.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Rand Brittain posted:

She hasn't told anybody but Kokoro about Goopy, which is actually important information that nearly got Rue killed.

This.

And this development could lead to them forming a team of magical girls with the secret mission of ruining Goopy's day, which would be awesome.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Telling people at her school wouldn't have helped Rue, but yeah the secret is Goopy.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Maybe, but there are probably better ways of doing that, like having a frank confrontation, instead of basically doing it at gunpoint.

Remember, this is still someone who is still trying to get over their survivors guilt.

What I am saying is there was probably better ways of going about this.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 22, 2020

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Does Undine know if Goops is special or important and not just a particularly deadly monster?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

Does Undine know if Goops is special or important and not just a particularly deadly monster?

She has strong theories that there is something special and different about Goo yes

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Unlucky7 posted:

Maybe, but there are probably better ways of doing that, like having a frank confrontation, instead of basically doing it at gunpoint.

Remember, this is still someone who is still trying to get over their survivors guilt.

What I am saying is there was probably better ways of going about this.
True, but without knowing what Undine is withholding, Cassidy has no way of knowing how serious it is. She's absolutely not going about this the right way, but I guess this means she tends towards quietly gathering information and snooping and then jumping into big confrontations instead of, as you said, having a frank private conversation that doesn't involve drawing weapons.

On a side note, it's interesting to consider how Undine could even fight Cassidy, since her power isn't very well suited to deflecting slashes and stabs, and while she knows she can theoretically safely take out one of the clones and have Cassidy be fine, I feel like it would be pretty upsetting to drown or crush a girl even if she gets up after.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

SardonicTyrant posted:

For one thing, Goops is the only monster we've seen talk intelligibly, and Undine is under the impression she summons or controls other monsters. The second might just be a particularly dangerous monster, the second combined with the first is a pretty dang good clue something else is going on. Add that to Goops being able to call Kokoro in the middle of the day before the inner barrier went up and monsters came out, and there's no reason for Undine to think Goops is a 'normal monster'.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Straight White Shark posted:

The Skybox is over. I thought the final arc was a bit anticlimactic, but not too bad.

is there any way to read this more than one panel per click because absolutely the gently caress not

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SardonicTyrant posted:

I don't get the feeling that ordinary monsters are recurring. Each night has different themes and shapes for the monsters.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

I don't get the feeling that ordinary monsters are recurring. Each night has different themes and shapes for the monsters.

Also they dont talk and this one has what seems to be specific vendettas
There are a lot of valid reasons to think for her to think this is weird and personal, especially since Undine isn't aware of Goop interacting with Rue and possibly other girls. Especially when Kokoro went from knowing nothing to getting calls after Undine told her about it.
Kokoro never heard anything and its possible most girls haven't and the ones who did probably died or didnt even notice. Rue only noticed the goop hand by happenstance, even

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Cassidy is definitely going about this the wrong way, but she has every right to be concerned. She doesn’t know right now why she should be concerned, but her suspicions are justified.

I’ll bet Gabby shows up and knocks one of them out.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
This doesn't read like concern to me.

- She (likely) has been spying on Undine and Kokoro
- Gabby (Sorry, was that her name?) outright says to be careful with her
- Jumps at the chance to train with Undine on the night Kokoro is away
- Basically forces Undine into a duel

This is not going to be friendly.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rand Brittain posted:

Meanwhile in Cagletown, Thirteen jumps in partly to save Jones from her own stupidity, but mostly to save Benzene from becoming a killer.

I appreciate that he clearly would have killed Jones if she hadn't intervened.

Yeah that shot was going clean through center mass but for android intervention. Jones you are too dumb to live.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I'm holding out for the roguelike dungeon crawler about the Quest for the Cocaine Skull.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah that shot was going clean through center mass but for android intervention. Jones you are too dumb to live.

Like I've said before, being dumb is what makes her dangerous, because she'll do things a smart person wouldn't.

In the last 24 hours, Jones has:

double-crossed her boss and took over
started killing members of the organization she figures liked him better than her, but not nearly enough to constitute an effective purge
kidnapped the richest man in town with no plan
kidnapped a cop, who is the police chief's son, with no plan
stole a giant friggin' mech she doesn't know how to use and honestly has no use for, and has all its settings in German, basically jsut because it was there

Then when people point out that her "evil plan" is stupid, she starts throwing a tantrum about how kids don't know how the "real world" works because that's easier than admitting she doesn't actually have a plan at all.

Jones has always been going to die; it's just a question of how many teenagers with anime haircuts she was going to take with her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Like I've said before, being dumb is what makes her dangerous, because she'll do things a smart person wouldn't.

In the last 24 hours, Jones has:

double-crossed her boss and took over
started killing members of the organization she figures liked him better than her, but not nearly enough to constitute an effective purge
kidnapped the richest man in town with no plan
kidnapped a cop, who is the police chief's son, with no plan
stole a giant friggin' mech she doesn't know how to use and honestly has no use for, and has all its settings in German, basically jsut because it was there

Then when people point out that her "evil plan" is stupid, she starts throwing a tantrum about how kids don't know how the "real world" works because that's easier than admitting she doesn't actually have a plan at all.

Jones has always been going to die; it's just a question of how many teenagers with anime haircuts she was going to take with her.

Don't forget her purge of her own organization left her with nothing but z-tier talent who all get worked over effortlessly save for 1 guy... who she constantly insults and treats like a joke.

Poor Lupus, he deserves a better boss.

E: Oh, she also lazily emotionally and psychological manipulated her own cousin in such an easily refutable way it guaranteed she'd turn against her on the slightest prompting from an outside source.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 23, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

What did anyone really expect from the villain named for a bonobo?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
My sleepless domain prediction:

Cutty: Alright, I win! Now talk!
Undine: Ok, ok.. The truth is... I'm straight! I'm not going to be kissing any main characters!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Mister Beeg posted:

I guess I can talk about my comic here a bit. I've been doing "The Fuzzy Princess" for over 3 years now (I started it in late 2016), with more on the way. I realize the rather newspaper comics-ish drawing style might be a turnoff for some people, although I'm having fun with it, either way.

I had a successful Kickstarter last year for the first book, which collected the first year of the comic. I'm gonna do another one in the coming weeks for the second book. I'm pretty excited about it because I think the comic really improved in the 2nd year. Also it has an introduction by Dana Simpson of "Phoebe and Her Unicorn" fame, which really made my day when I got it.

Thanks for posting your comic. I'll give it a read this weekend.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Unlucky7 posted:

This doesn't read like concern to me.

- She (likely) has been spying on Undine and Kokoro
- Gabby (Sorry, was that her name?) outright says to be careful with her
- Jumps at the chance to train with Undine on the night Kokoro is away
- Basically forces Undine into a duel

This is not going to be friendly.

Either she thinks Undine was responsible for Team Alchemical dying (which isn't helped by an unknown, intelligent monster being the real cause that Undine doesn't want to burden others with because survivor's guilt sucks) or she thinks she is moving in on Kokoro and wants the juicy details.

This feels personal more than anything, and she can't outright accuse either way because bullying someone with clear survivor's guilt is terrible, and flat-out asking when HP is there would lead to questions why she cares.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

Either she thinks Undine was responsible for Team Alchemical dying (which isn't helped by an unknown, intelligent monster being the real cause that Undine doesn't want to burden others with because survivor's guilt sucks) or she thinks she is moving in on Kokoro and wants the juicy details.

This feels personal more than anything, and she can't outright accuse either way because bullying someone with clear survivor's guilt is terrible, and flat-out asking when HP is there would lead to questions why she cares.

I don't think anyone would blame the former on Undine (okay, well, im sure SOMEONE but i doubt a fellow magical girl, especially with the fallout of Tessa giving up her powers to save undine). Cassidy probably has been snooping on a lot of Undine & Kokoro's interactions, at least enough to figure out Something is off and Undine herself probably acts weird about it beyond the "your team died" aspect.

so it probably is the kokoro thing, it's what the chapter's been about so far, with the goop being what undine thinks about and goes all out for.

e: Gabby, latter: "Yeah she's just an INTENSE rumormonger, even worse than Bud. Gives me the creeps. Total blabber mouth, and you can take that from someone called Gabby!"

e2: I'm rereading the first part of the chapter and i forgot about Kokoro's manager wanting new footage so they're going to get a camera man they have to protect. I sense GREAT drama in the works

rannum fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 23, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

How much do you reckon the hazard pay is for being a magical girl camera person.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Enough that someone not familiar with the job thinks it's a good idea, not enough to cover dental

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Elfface posted:

My sleepless domain prediction:

Cutty: Alright, I win! Now talk!
Undine: Ok, ok.. The truth is... I'm straight! I'm not going to be kissing any main characters!

*entire comic implodes*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

rannum posted:

I don't think anyone would blame the former on Undine (okay, well, im sure SOMEONE but i doubt a fellow magical girl, especially with the fallout of Tessa giving up her powers to save undine). Cassidy probably has been snooping on a lot of Undine & Kokoro's interactions, at least enough to figure out Something is off and Undine herself probably acts weird about it beyond the "your team died" aspect.

so it probably is the kokoro thing, it's what the chapter's been about so far, with the goop being what undine thinks about and goes all out for.

e: Gabby, latter: "Yeah she's just an INTENSE rumormonger, even worse than Bud. Gives me the creeps. Total blabber mouth, and you can take that from someone called Gabby!"

e2: I'm rereading the first part of the chapter and i forgot about Kokoro's manager wanting new footage so they're going to get a camera man they have to protect. I sense GREAT drama in the works

You know what? I think you convinced me it is "Cassidy thinks Kokoro and Undine are an item" and Cassidy is just being unusually aggressive about finding out. But Undine (and by extension the audience) thinks she is talking about Goops. It certainly feels anime enough misunderstanding for this comic. We shall see.