Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I didn't say GOOD, but yeah I find it more interesting to follow the villains than the generic protagonist team. I wasn't thinking of the personalities of the royal family at all, though, I didn't have a lot of time for either on either playthrough. Making Nohr a weird blighted hellscape whose people live underground whenever possible and have secret sewer communities to escape the oppressive eyes of their ridiculously, comically evil leaders is marginally more interesting to me than 'feudal Japan but more perfect'. At least conflict exists.

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
They'd originally promised a 'morally grey' for both sides, so at least the intent was there. If I give them benefit of the doubt, my personal theory is that Nohr was meant to look evil on the outside but there's actually beacons of good within (e.g. the siblings), and Hoshido was supposed to appear perfect, but lots of shady evil poo poo goes on if you looked more closely (Yukimura orchestrating the kidnapping, Mikoto's mind control field, etc.).

But yknow, they kinda failed at the writing, the pacing, and like all of the nuance. So in the end, none of the 'if you looked more closely' part actually came through, and we're just left with a conflict between 'perfect' and 'comically evil'.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Not only it it a bizarre sunless wasteland, but it’s plagued by disease and natural disasters. It’s the least hospitable place on the planet and there is no explanation on why it’s this way or how anyone could settle this godforsaken place, let alone build a massive country.

Meanwhile, it’s counterpart is a land of perfect beauty and endless natural bounty where basically nothing bad happens unless Nohr caused it. It also just so happens to be culturally identical to an idealized version of Japanese history.

Yeah, this isn’t a game interested in decent worldbuilding. It just wants to ensure that you never forget which side is good and which is bad.

As I said in other threads, it's interesting to compare to Awakening, where the good guy country was the bad guys in the last war, and the big villains for the first two arcs had conversations revealing the noble ends they were aiming for without pretending that justified their actions.

Meanwhile, Fates, the game that sold itself on moral ambiguity, did... this.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
fremblem is a land of contrasts

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

capitaldelendaest posted:

Making Nohr a weird blighted hellscape whose people live underground whenever possible and have secret sewer communities to escape the oppressive eyes of their ridiculously, comically evil leaders is marginally more interesting to me than 'feudal Japan but more perfect'.

Tbh the main thing Fates has accomplished with Nohr and Hoshido is making me want to side with Nohr out of sheer spite against magic perfect Japan.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Hard same, I always assumed it was a case of terminal contrariness and am glad not to be alone.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Thirded here. The more I saw of Hosido in my first playthrough, the more I resented it. The fact that everyone there is so boring didn’t help matters.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I do like how Azama is such a shithead. I guess he just learned Zen wrong?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Cythereal posted:

Tbh the main thing Fates has accomplished with Nohr and Hoshido is making me want to side with Nohr out of sheer spite against magic perfect Japan.

Same here.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

HitTheTargets posted:

I do like how Azama is such a shithead. I guess he just learned Zen wrong?

Reina is also interesting, since she's the closest thing the series has to an old, playable woman since Niime, and she's noticeably older than Titania. And she doesn't have the typical mother figure personality you'd expect from a older anime woman. Instead, she's the Hoshidan counterpart to Peri.

Between Takumi, Azuma, and Reina, it almost looks like Hoshido has interesting flaws. Almost.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the most frustrating thing is that it's so easy to make hoshido actually shades of grey

but no, the lord with ninjas as his aides had no idea that the country was starving because they couldn't grow food

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Reina is also interesting, since she's the closest thing the series has to an old, playable woman since Niime, and she's noticeably older than Titania. And she doesn't have the typical mother figure personality you'd expect from a older anime woman. Instead, she's the Hoshidan counterpart to Peri.

Between Takumi, Azuma, and Reina, it almost looks like Hoshido has interesting flaws. Almost.

Flavia is 40+. (And Tiki is 3,000+, but... hardly counts.)

She's a hard drinking mercenary-turned-monarch whose primary interest in a military campaign is the cash payouts at the end, which doesn't exactly fit the archetype either.

Once again, Awakening beats Fates. Not even a surprise at this point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Well you've already hit the nail on the head. I forgot that I wanted to say that Peri is a worse version of Reina.

Reina and Scarlet are so good, it's a shame that they're main character only. If there were ever characters I want to double converse with one person its the two of them and Felicia Mozu.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

Flavia is 40+. (And Tiki is 3,000+, but... hardly counts.)

She's a hard drinking mercenary-turned-monarch whose primary interest in a military campaign is the cash payouts at the end, which doesn't exactly fit the archetype either.

Once again, Awakening beats Fates. Not even a surprise at this point.

To a lesser extent there's Catherine and Manuela in Three Houses - both are in their thirties after the time skip, which is pretty drat old for playable JRPG characters. Manuela makes a big deal out of being older than the cast, but Catherine doesn't really outside of her supports with Dimitri where she remembers him when he was little, and by personality she's a certified amazon who enjoys drinking, eating, and fighting, is blatantly bisexual, and is fanatically loyal to one particular cause and person because it means she doesn't have to think about why she's fighting.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Manuela is the best character in Three Houses and you could make her sixty and I'd still love that singing trash raccoon.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Cythereal posted:

To a lesser extent there's Catherine and Manuela in Three Houses - both are in their thirties after the time skip, which is pretty drat old for playable JRPG characters. Manuela makes a big deal out of being older than the cast, but Catherine doesn't really outside of her supports with Dimitri where she remembers him when he was little, and by personality she's a certified amazon who enjoys drinking, eating, and fighting, is blatantly bisexual, and is fanatically loyal to one particular cause and person because it means she doesn't have to think about why she's fighting.

Also, given Manuela's backgroud is a woman in the theatre in a medieval setting, being so concious about her age makes sense, likewise Catherine dgaf because it's hardly a concern for a fighter as long as she's in shape.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

capitaldelendaest posted:

woman in the theatre in a medieval setting
I am not sure this is a thing that exists or existed (e: unless you go for very specific Japanese drama forms, I guess?).

From what I've seen of LPs of that game, Manuela just came as creepy... Admittedly, nowhere near as bad as most characters in this game, but it was still there.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 15, 2020

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

anilEhilated posted:

I am not sure this is a thing that exists or existed.

From what I've seen of LPs of that game, Manuela just came as creepy... Admittedly, nowhere near as bad as most characters in this game, but it was still there.

I don't know enough about rl medieval theatre, but I'm pretty sure you are correct. But the setting is medievalish, which tends to imply a patriarchial society even moreso that we have today, and being a woman in the performing arts comes with hyperscrutinization about losing your looks in every time period, so it seems pretty logical that the two of those combined informs Manuela's perspective on aging.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

anilEhilated posted:

I am not sure this is a thing that exists or existed (e: unless you go for very specific Japanese drama forms, I guess?).

She's just anime Edna Krabappel and she's incredibly insecure.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frog: new video
Ep 87 - Chapter 26 - Xander (part 2)

you love to see it

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cythereal posted:

It's why half the reason I only bought Conquest on release.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
I for one respect Kuvo's dedication to the LP format,

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
it's way funnier than making it the start of a longer video

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That was the best episode yet!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
rip xander, despite being in the middle of the most bafflingly horny nation on the face of the planet, he never scored

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, that's the face of a guy trying to, and failing to process that:
A: He has a niece
B: His niece is almost as old as her father
C: At some point, Chome had a daughter
D: His niece is many times stronger than him, even without the benefit of a legendary weapon like his
E: Chome and someone had a child together
in the split second before he's struck down.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Meanwhile Kana's thought process in that picture is

A: is there an even realer sword out there?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So this LP made me want to dive into Fates since I'd avoided it, though I added the LGBT patch for full shipping action. Just want to echo that while the game really wants you to side with Hoshido super loving bad, the Hoshidan siblings are such nothing assholes that even if I wasn't planning to do Conquest I'd pick it anyway since I at least kinda like the Nohrian siblings. That the game even tries to explain why they are all hosed up is a step up from Hoshido. Also it might be me going in with bottom barrel expectations but I'm sorta treating the game like DA2. I know it's trash but it's trash I can kinda like. Also found families are better than bloodlines even if Corrin is stuck a princess.

I at least like most of the Conquest crew as much as if not more than Awakening's cast which I struggle to remember beyond the big names.

(I am really thankful 3H cut down on the amount of units because both games just have way too loving many)

Eimi fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 23, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Eimi posted:

So this LP made me want to dive into Fates since I'd avoided it, though I added the LGBT patch for full shipping action. Just want to echo that while the game really wants you to side with Hoshido super loving bad, the Hoshidan siblings are such nothing assholes that even if I wasn't planning to do Conquest I'd pick it anyway since I at least kinda like the Nohrian siblings. That the game even tries to explain why they are all hosed up is a step up from Hoshido. Also it might be me going in with bottom barrel expectations but I'm sorta treating the game like DA2. I know it's trash but it's trash I can kinda like. Also found families are better than bloodlines even if Corrin is stuck a princess.

I at least like most of the Conquest crew as much as if not more than Awakening's cast which I struggle to remember beyond the big names.

(I am really thankful 3H cut down on the amount of units because both games just have way too loving many)

You're in for horrible gimmick maps and the dumbest plot ever.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I vaguely remember a terrible map where it had snowed over, and you had to very very very slowly fight your way through it, while you had no idea where enemies might pop up. And you of course had to spend actions digging through the snow.

(I think you used one action to clear one tile of snow, and there were random pockets of enemies strewn about the map?)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SubNat posted:

I vaguely remember a terrible map where it had snowed over, and you had to very very very slowly fight your way through it, while you had no idea where enemies might pop up. And you of course had to spend actions digging through the snow.

(I think you used one action to clear one tile of snow, and there were random pockets of enemies strewn about the map?)

That is Revelations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ah, that would be it yeah.
Sorry, Conq + Rev just kind of gooped together as one in my head.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frog: new video
Ep 88 - Chapter 27 - King Garon

usurper chat, fan fiction, horse mugging, matching gimp costumes, moms are tough, fierce, teenspeak, (laughs evilly)

we've finished recording everything so i dont know why i havent just dumped the rest of these videos

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I'm on chapter 14 so waiting for the madness to kick in, and thus far just like why hasn't anyone just thought "yes let's kill our obviously evil father, there's five of us and one of him"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eimi posted:

I'm on chapter 14 so waiting for the madness to kick in, and thus far just like why hasn't anyone just thought "yes let's kill our obviously evil father, there's five of us and one of him"

Because they're stupid and poorly written.

One of the things that eventually completely broke Conquest's plot for me was realizing that the characters... weren't.

Beruka was where it really came through for me. Initially, I was interested in her. Assassin girl with a Solid Snake look and a Mikazuki Augus attitude? Yeah, that sounds like a fun member of the army, especially if you're playing as the more morally questionable faction.

And the first supports were ...fine. I guess. Then I noticed how nobody had a distinct speaking style. Like, Beruka's this terse assassin, right? Not big on interpersonal, big on the stabbing. She even has a full on "..." conversation, like Rei and Heero in Super Robot Wars. So it was weird she had so many supports where she was providing most of the dialogue. Kind of a step down.

And then I looked at the details and realized that there was no coherent personality for Beruka. Her supports made her a different person in each. Like, sometimes she was emotionless, and sometimes she was just emotionally repressed, and sometimes she was just a bit weird. Sometimes she killed without any consideration, and sometimes she was a loyal retainer, and one time she got hired to kill Xander while working for the army, and it's just...

empty. It's the revelation that Fates doesn't have characters, as much as it has art and a vague outline of what that character "type" would say, maybe.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Eimi posted:

Because the writers needed to make about 20 more maps, and didn't want another "attack the villain, fail, and spend the rest of the game on the run, building up your forces until you can actually oppose him" plot since they'd already done that in Birthright. Or maybe just to go "you are a bad person and deserve to feel bad" because GROLIOUS NIPPON!

But then, these are the same guys who made Xander 100% loyal to Nohr in defiance of all reason, so maybe they're just incompetent, like chiasaur said.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
In what probab,y shouldn’t come as a shock, the other two Yato gems come from the Nohr brothers. Which means you can only get all four in Rev.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Eimi posted:

Or even Hans and Iago. They're backstabbing us at every turn, and it's a miracle Leo doesn't stealth murder these fucks and blame it in Hoshidan ninja.

The dread power of inept writing.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I really liked Conquest maps. :( Like, it kept the boyfriend and I obsessively engrossed for 3 months. Strategizing how to start off a map, etc. was all we ended up talking about all day during those months. There were so many situations that felt impossible at first, but the game gave you just enough tools (rescue/switch/transfer shenanigans, working out a perfect series of pair attacks, or hitting the guard meter on pairup just right) to let us eke through. That tension followed by the final 'solve' felt satisfying and made us feel clever for getting through them.

We had a fantastic time until the ninja map broke my brain and Percy's paralogue (he kept trying to optimize for 'one turn better') broke the boyfriend's. We really needed a break, but never picked it up again.

Meanwhile he bought 3H on launch day, the monastery (and really the entire game) started feeling like a slog about... 3 months in. We finally hit timeskip two weeks ago. He's trying to finish it out of obligation more than anything now and I couldn't really care to follow along. Recycled maps and units seemingly randomly placed around the map (instead of the deliberate unit placement in Conquest that you unravel one layer at a time) were just killers. For some folks, a bad story and a bad cast gives them no motivation to continue playing a game. For us, bad maps and busywork inbetween maps actively stop us from wanting to play the game.

Different strokes, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Because they're stupid and poorly written.

One of the things that eventually completely broke Conquest's plot for me was realizing that the characters... weren't.

That is absolutely a causality of having gods know how many writers writing the same character. I would not be surprised if each support chain had it's own writer or something else as horribly stupid given this games development. :v:

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Or even Hans and Iago. They're backstabbing us at every turn, and it's a miracle Leo doesn't stealth murder these fucks and blame it in Hoshidan ninja.

The dread power of inept writing.

And it seems it'd be an easy thing to hand wave if they put a tiny bit of effort into it. Oh Nohr is a black barren desert maybe Garon found a spell that lets you grow food so even though he's a horrible murderous tyrant a lot of people still love him. Or he has a magical maguffin that prevents you from just stabbing him so you have to find a way to stab him.