Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Schiff ending his time tonight with an appeal to senators to show the same courage that Yovanovitch and Vindman have shown was pretty rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Yeah, no way the GOP doesn't pull a bait and switch with Biden/Bolton.

Bolten isn't going give up anything

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1220170720988274694

backroom deals. gently caress if i know.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It's weird that we have all these rules and these assholes can just ignore them for no apparent reason without consequence.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

It's weird that we have all these rules and these assholes can just ignore them for no apparent reason without consequence.

yeah pretty much.

as i said. i suspect backroom dealing is happening. but gently caress if i know.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah pretty much.

as i said. i suspect backroom dealing is happening. but gently caress if i know.

Likely dealing for witnesses.

gently caress I hope they push the giant 'throw Biden under the bus' button with zero loving hesitation the way they should have to Clinton all those years ago.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Wishing Dems luck with prying Republicans heads out of the sand.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

gently caress I hope they push the giant 'throw Biden under the bus' button with zero loving hesitation the way they should have to Clinton all those years ago.

they might. depends how many witnesses.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they might. depends how many witnesses.

I think if they can get mulvaney bolten and parnas it's worth it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

For what and for what? Clinton sat for the 13 hr Benghazi nonsense and they got nothing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think if they can get mulvaney bolten and parnas it's worth it.

hopefully. sometimes i worry that the anti trumps of this country are the minority. i dont think they are but i live in a reddish/purple area with a big boomer population in a blue/purple state. so idk.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

bird cooch posted:

For what and for what? Clinton sat for the 13 hr Benghazi nonsense and they got nothing.

You poor sweet child

I'm talking about Bill

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Biden knows that he's lost a step mentally.... or twelve. Him testifying wouldn't be a good look.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Biden knows that he's lost a step mentally.... or twelve. Him testifying wouldn't be a good look.

Who cares, if he can't withstand one testimony without making GBS threads his pants then that's on him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Who cares, if he can't withstand one testimony without making GBS threads his pants then that's on him.

I don't care at all but the Senate D's look like they are trying to protect him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

i feel like it could go either way. personally i feel like biden(either of them) would do fine against the GOP stuff.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that if Joe Biden can't survive a day of Congressional testimony, he can't survive the Presidency.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that if Joe Biden can't survive a day of Congressional testimony, he can't survive the Presidency.

He can't survive the campaign against Trump so I doubt he'll have to worry about that.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

You poor sweet child

I'm talking about Bill

Oh you poor sweet shutthefuckupnerd.

Bill is a piece of poo poo (who also was deposed)

And also why would you let them the defame the Guy for 8 hours just because they say they want to? We know the stories bullshit, the story has proven to be bulshit, why on Earth would you give them their way? Why let the muddy the waters just because you don't like the guy?

Biden for Trump? Sure.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 23, 2020

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like it could go either way. personally i feel like biden(either of them) would do fine against the GOP stuff.

Are you sure about Joe?

https://twitter.com/cancel_sam/status/1220060413309616129?s=21

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Quote is not edit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

idk. i feel like this would matter more in his wormbrain. his old collegiues are attack him and his son to defend some criminal gently caress. maybe he lets fury mode take over. dudes gonna burn out soon anyway, id rather have him do it in some noble last stand than poo poo himself to death fighting a better cooler older dude.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

There is no reason to concede the GOP making a circus out of the Senate trial. I mean if they are determined to do so they have the numbers but it will be entirely on them rather than being able to say the Dems were complicit in doing it.

I feel there should be no horse trading over Biden testimony regardless of how one feels about Joe as a candidate.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

That's irrelevant at this point.

bird cooch posted:

Oh you poor sweet shutthefuckupnerd.

Bill is a piece of poo poo (who also was deposed)

And also why would you let them the defame the Guy for 8 hours just because they say they want to? We know the stories bullshit, the story has proven to be bulshit, why on Earth would you give them their way? Why let the muddy the waters just because you don't like the guy?

Biden for Trump? Sure.

Yeah, the D's should have dumped him when they had the chance. For some reason you seem to disagree

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That's irrelevant at this point.

Yeah, the D's should have dumped him when they had the chance. For some reason you seem to disagree

Where. Where do I disagree other than with you.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 23, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

impeachment status: trump allies trying to throw the republican lawyers under the bus

quote:

Trump ally Rep. GAETZ praised Dems' use of multimedia, which he said gave their trial presentation a "cable news" feel ...

Unlike the Trump team, whose presentation Gaetz said felt like “an 8th grade book report.” "Actually, no, I take that back,” Gaetz added, "because an 8th grader would actually know how to use PowerPoint and iPads."

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1220176832613552131

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the thing that enthuses me most is the hints of an intra GOP revolt over Mitch trying to avoid calling witnesses

it won't lead to removal, but if it leads to a public and, crucially, entertaining showcase of The Crimes, that's a win for the good guys

Still catching up, but seriously would like to know of the hints.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

eke out posted:

impeachment status: trump allies trying to throw the republican lawyers under the bus

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1220176832613552131

No poo poo captain obvious, the only real effect impeachment is going to have is on the public at this point. This is Cillizza level analysis here.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Dapper_Swindler posted:

hopefully. sometimes i worry that the anti trumps of this country are the minority. i dont think they are but i live in a reddish/purple area with a big boomer population in a blue/purple state. so idk.

In an election with a lovely candidate that made Democrat voter turn out nose dive he still lost the popular vote by 2.9 million votes. The GOP rat loving democracy with voter suppression tactics, the Democrats running a poo poo right of center candidate, and our lovely electoral college system is what gave us Trump, not the majority of the country

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 23, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

No poo poo captain obvious, the only real effect impeachment is going to have is on the public at this point. This is Cillizza level analysis here.

okay thanks

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

eke out posted:

okay thanks

I was responding to the last tweet, not trying to attack you personally.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://twitter.com/nvuono/status/1219828601853444097?s=21

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Otteration posted:

If Joe/Hunter Biden did hinky things they should be prosecuted. As should Bernie, Warren, Pete, or anyone one else, including the orange fecal smear.

As of this moment, everyone previous to trump in the above sentence is irrelevant.
I don’t want you guys using words around me that have no meaning. I’m taking the stairs and walking.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Toobly posted:

I apologize if this has been brought up already (probably a while back or in another thread) but I was reading conflicting things so I was just hoping to clarify it.

Can the Supreme Court Justice say “The Dems make a good argument for witnesses, therefore I’ll allow witnesses”?

One thing I read said “Yes, absolutely.” and the other said “Yes, but the Senate can overrule it.” I’m guessing the latter but that it’d also look really bad for the Senate if they did that?

The senators can always overrule the judge on anything. Roberts is there to do nothing of any substance.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lambert posted:

The senators can always overrule the judge on anything. Roberts is there to do nothing of any substance.

He's there to provide an air of legitimacy using the reputation of the third estate as an independent power. A reputation which is not based on fact in the first place, obviously. More useless decorum.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

"I did very little, and I did it well"

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

So two things with regard to this proceeding being a trial:

1. Isn't it the job of the judge to determine if evidence is admissible? Why are a majority of jurors allowed to say what they will and will not pay attention to?
2. It seems like a pretty big deal for jurors to not listen to arguments whenever they want. Why isn't the judge doing something about it? The supreme court is supposed to be a co-equal 'apolitical' branch last I checked.

e:typos

syntaxrigger fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 23, 2020

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

syntaxrigger posted:

So two things with regard to this proceeding being a trail:

1. Isn't it the job of the judge to determine if evidence is admissible? Why a majority of jurors allowed to say what they will and will not pay attention to?
2. It seems like a pretty big deal for jurors to not listen to arguments whenever they want. Why isn't the judge doing something about it? The supreme court is supposed to be a co-equal branch last I checked.

Its not a real trial. Its a wacky senate party that has the word 'Trial' in its label.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

syntaxrigger posted:

So two things with regard to this proceeding being a trial:

1. Isn't it the job of the judge to determine if evidence is admissible? Why are a majority of jurors allowed to say what they will and will not pay attention to?
2. It seems like a pretty big deal for jurors to not listen to arguments whenever they want. Why isn't the judge doing something about it? The supreme court is supposed to be a co-equal 'apolitical' branch last I checked.

e:typos

It's a trial where the jury both has a vested interest in the outcome and gets to vote on every rule in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
It's a trial where co-conspirators get to sit on the jury and pick the rules.