Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Is this a re-enactment of Pompeii using Great Stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

a lot of atomz stupidity in the comments (or is that the joke / thread content?)

jfc people are stupid and just want to bark their inane thoughts out.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

PhazonLink posted:

Welcome to social media

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

foam party getting lit

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Where's the Brazzers logo?
https://i.imgur.com/UxW71m0.mp4

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Brute Squad posted:

foam party getting lit

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Where's the Brazzers logo?

In the post in the page before yours that shared the same thing

At first I was like "aw the pipe is being helpful and cleaning the train!!!" and then it started hitting open doors and windows and :cawg:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Detecting CO2 pockets with a flare

https://giant.gfycat.com/ColdBestCapeghostfrog.webm

Memento fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 23, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PhazonLink posted:

a lot of atomz stupidity in the comments (or is that the joke / thread content?)

In contrast, this seems relevant, even when you subtract the normal amount of media overreaction to anything nuclear:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oil-gas-fracking-radioactive-investigation-937389/

quote:

Tanks, filters, pumps, pipes, hoses, and trucks that brine touches can all become contaminated, with the radium building up into hardened “scale,” concentrating to as high as 400,000 picocuries per gram. With fracking — which involves sending pressurized fluid deep underground to break up layers of shale — there is dirt and shattered rock, called drill cuttings, that can also be radioactive. But brine can be radioactive whether it comes from a fracked or conventional well; the levels vary depending on the geological formation, not drilling method. Colorado and Wyoming seem to have lower radioactive signatures, while the Marcellus shale, underlying Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and New York, has tested the highest. Radium in its brine can average around 9,300 picocuries per liter, but has been recorded as high as 28,500. “If I had a beaker of that on my desk and accidentally dropped it on the floor, they would shut the place down,” says Yuri Gorby, a microbiologist who spent 15 years studying radioactivity with the Department of Energy. “And if I dumped it down the sink, I could go to jail.”

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Queen Combat posted:

Well yeah it's gonna be like that on contact, the ranges are for open air.

Exactly. In radiation protection a 30cm distance reading is the real one you use to estimate deep dose. "Extremity" dose to fingers can be much, much higher than the whole body dose and you aren't going to be sucking on fiestaware with your lips all day.

Now, if you collect them, and keep a shitload close to you.....

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

https://twitter.com/Marshall_Audrey/status/1219787425318305797?s=20

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Phanatic posted:

In contrast, this seems relevant, even when you subtract the normal amount of media overreaction to anything nuclear:

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/oil-gas-fracking-radioactive-investigation-937389/

Incredible article and a must-read for anyone seeing this thread.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Dominic, you rat!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

pmchem posted:

Incredible article and a must-read for anyone seeing this thread.

Parts of it (not by any means all or even most of it, just parts) are literally incredible.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Phanatic posted:

Fracking turns out to be even worse than previously thought.

Maybe I will buy that dosimeter from amazon.com

quote:

“They’ve known about this since the development of the gamma-ray log back in the 1930s,” says Stuart Smith, referencing a method of measuring gamma radiation. A New Orleans-based lawyer, Smith has been trying cases pertaining to oil-and-gas radioactivity for 30 years and is the author of the 2015 book Crude Justice. In Smith’s first case, in 1986, a six-month-pregnant Mississippi woman was sitting on the edge of her bathtub and her hip cracked in half. Tests showed the soil in her vegetable garden had become contaminated with radium from oil-field pipes her husband had cleaned in their yard. “They know,” Smith says. “All of the big majors have done tests to determine exactly what risks workers are exposed to.”
Jesus.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
These future superfund sites are what your tax dollars will be spent on after the industry has made their money and moved on.

quote:

The first state to enact any protections at all was Louisiana, in the late 1980s. “It was the only environmental issue in Louisiana anyone ever sprang on me I didn’t know anything about,” says chemical physicist Paul Templet, who as the state’s lead environmental regulator at the time ordered a study on oil-and-gas radioactivity. The results horrified him.

The levels of radium in Louisiana oil pipes had registered as much as 20,000 times the limits set by the EPA for topsoil at uranium-mill waste sites. Templet found that workers who were cleaning oil-field piping were being coated in radioactive dust and breathing it in. One man they tested had radioactivity all over his clothes, his car, his front steps, and even on his newborn baby. The industry was also spewing waste into coastal waterways, and radioactivity was shown to accumulate in oysters. Pipes still laden with radioactivity were donated by the industry and reused to build community playgrounds. Templet sent inspectors with Geiger counters across southern Louisiana. One witnessed a kid sitting on a fence made from piping so radioactive they were set to receive a full year’s radiation dose in an hour. “People thought getting these pipes for free from the oil industry was such a great deal,” says Templet, “but essentially the oil companies were just getting rid of their waste.”

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
gonna by some This American Life episode of some small fracking towns in PA, people are gonna defend it till they die and be extremely angry at any one that rocks the the cancer actual still cancer boat

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So because my current crane operator certification company is owned by lunatics jeopardizing its continued existence, I've been developing my own company with some of our board members and customers to expand outward into all other equipment. In particular, we're looking at providing forklift certification that requires more serious knowledge and skill (including a practical operating exam) to hopefully push back against all the 4-hour certification courses that people keep marketing. If all goes well we should start getting some safer people out there who don't provide us with amusing/horrifying videos of avoidable accidents.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
chitoryu you're an expert, what would be the Sickest Stunts Possible to accomplish with a crane?

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Have you considered the ethical implications of depriving goons from content?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/1yGb23x.mp4

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Are there enough smart contractors who understand that an $X course from chitoryu12's company will eventually pay off with $Y less dollars paid out in damages?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

chitoryu you're an expert, what would be the Sickest Stunts Possible to accomplish with a crane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy4EUdStL4U

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

EssOEss posted:

Have you considered the ethical implications of depriving goons from content?

If you try to idiot-proof something then nature will just build a bigger idiot.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

So because my current crane operator certification company is owned by lunatics jeopardizing its continued existence, I've been developing my own company with some of our board members and customers to expand outward into all other equipment. In particular, we're looking at providing forklift certification that requires more serious knowledge and skill (including a practical operating exam) to hopefully push back against all the 4-hour certification courses that people keep marketing. If all goes well we should start getting some safer people out there who don't provide us with amusing/horrifying videos of avoidable accidents.

So your business plan relies on companies that will pay more to safeguard their employees, rather than do the bare, legal minimum?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

Oh gently caress, I spent years working in that specific industry, exposed to brine every day. Driving down dusty dirt roads and breathing it in, too.

:tif:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Fly Molo posted:

Oh gently caress, I spent years working in that specific industry, exposed to brine every day. Driving down dusty dirt roads and breathing it in, too.

:tif:

Look at this ghost, posting

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

That clip might be a bit old as the vessel is now the LILA LONDON: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:460261/mmsi:9293454/vessel:VECCHIO%20BRIDGE

Still pretty wild.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

This is a gif that just keeps on giving :allears:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqWpmZRgG2M

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Isn't this what using hemp rope is supposed to avoid?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Isn't this what using hemp rope is supposed to avoid?

You mean they're not making taffy?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

visualization of pain after stepping on a lego

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Are there enough smart contractors who understand that an $X course from chitoryu12's company will eventually pay off with $Y less dollars paid out in damages?

Yes, but profits that quarter will drop

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shut up Meg posted:

So your business plan relies on companies that will pay more to safeguard their employees, rather than do the bare, legal minimum?

We're doing a wide variety of equipment certification (including scaffolding, diggers, pile drivers, etc.) but there actually is a market for that. Employers will often do the bare legal minimum, but not all of them. Insurance companies in particular are pressing for verifiable certification instead of just 30 minutes of instruction to a kid right out of high school, due to the obviously liability issues when they crash into something or someone and fingers get pointed. There's likely to also be a push in coming years for OSHA to start regulating it more strictly like they do with cranes now, and it'll be better if we're ahead of the curve.

We're also going to be taking advantage of this by forming an association that trainers can join to get access to resources and workshops. Ideally we'll expand into every piece of industrial equipment we can get subject matter experts for.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

azurite posted:

Dominic, you rat!

I appreciate this post

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

RedSnapper posted:

This is a gif that just keeps on giving :allears:

Given India's climate and how hot it gets in rail cars in summer, I would welcome this brief shower as a passenger. People don't travel on bus and train car roofs for nothing there.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Fabulousity posted:

Always be suspicious of "antique" dinnerware that's bright orange/red.

You can still find a lot of old red/orange Fiesta Ware products that used uranium oxide for the color. In the early 1940's they briefly stopped using uranium oxide not because they found out it was bad, but because WW2 needed all the uranium that was available. Once that was over they used depleted uranium instead until the 1970s. But boy howdy does it look purdy! :pseudo:

You just reminded me I wanted to order one of those plates as a decoration, so thanks!

(https://unitednuclear.com has large and small plates plus coffee cups in case anyone else is interested.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Oddhair posted:

You just reminded me I wanted to order one of those plates as a decoration, so thanks!

(https://unitednuclear.com has large and small plates plus coffee cups in case anyone else is interested.)