Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

FirstAidKite posted:

Isn't L99 supposedly working on a Seventh Cross game or was Exceed Season 2 meant to be that Seventh Cross game?

Yeah, they're still working on the actual Seventh Cross Game. Here's the most recent project status chart.

As far as I know This podcast from 3 months ago is the most recent information on what exactly Seventh Cross will be like.

Amcoti fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I am incredibly impatient for the Seventh Cross game. Bah.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah, Exceed is its own thing. It scratches a different itch than BCon for sure. Closer to an M:TG game than a chess match like BCon. I like both for different reasons.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I don't think it was ever meant to be a successor to BattleCON :v:

Whether they meant it to do that or not doesn't matter; it's replacing BattleCON as the flagship L99 product line, and BattleCON is being sunset.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 22, 2020

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lemon-Lime posted:

Whether they meant it to do that or not doesn't matter; it's replacing BattleCON as the flagship L99 product line, and BattleCON is being sunset.

It's being sunset with the biggest release since Devastation, so it's not a total downer.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Getting BattleCON Unleashed done and out is absolutely our main focus at the moment. The amount of focus we've put into revising all the core BattleCON games can't really be understated, and hopefully trying out the dozens upon dozens of rebalanced and revised characters will hopefully keep folks busy for a good long awhile until we revisit it.

Seventh Cross: Hunters of the Church is on hold until we get our existing Kickstarter projects out the door, but the plan is to have it much closer to complete when the Kickstarter hits, so there isn't as much of a wait as there's been for BattleCON Unleashed or Millennium Blades: Collusion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Plus haven't there been quasi-announced plans to release the occasional standalone single fighter for battlecon?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jivjov posted:

Plus haven't there been quasi-announced plans to release the occasional standalone single fighter for battlecon?

The current BattleCON plan is "no more boxes, and if anything else is released, it will be individual fighters." There aren't any standalone fighters currently planned (that anyone is aware of at this point) other than Oriax, who is coming out at the same time as Unleashed.

And honestly, it's not a question of whether BattleCON is ending on a high note or not, or whether or not it will continue to receive a little bit of support in the future - the point is that it's essentially over, and Exceed is replacing BattleCON both as the "face" of L99's games and as "the L99 fighting card game that gets regular new releases."

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 22, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Do we even have any idea what Seventh Cross will be? I know some of its cast through the Exceed stuff but I'm not sure if they've put out any notes on what the game itself is.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

We don't have specific plans to announce, but singletons for BattleCON are definitely a possibility.

Seventh Cross: Hunters of the Church has been covered in a lot of places; it's intended as a dungeon coop with detailed tactical combat against boss monsters and a unique aesthetic (like a stand-up, "platforming" play board). A lot of the early dev was covered on our blogs, but it's undergone a lot of changes in terms of focus and scope since then. Things have been quiet for awhile on it as we focus on getting our current obligations out the door, but once that's done it'll be coming up once more.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I know it may not necessarily be a fair comparison, but how does Seventh Cross stand up against current dungeon crawl king Gloomhaven?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The plan is for it to be more episodic, making it easier for people to drop in and out over the course of playing through it, and with a core emphasis on fighting unique, dramatic bosses over grinding through dungeon mobs. There's also just the whole transformation mechanic (as seen in the Exceed season), and how that ties into character growth and choice over the course of a castle is pretty cool.

Existing dungeon games are definitely being kept in mind, and we're looking to offer something more mid-weight that rewards continued play without necessarily being a "lifestyle game".

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Having battlecon be "done" so that I don't have to explain to people I want to buy into it that, no, there will be some rules revisions in the near future so don't worry please buy this and play with me.... would be good. There's so much content in it right now I could play it for years without getting bored anyways. I'm pretty sure there's an entire character cycle I haven't played a single match with.

Also I am extremely hype for Seventh Cross and I can't wait to see how the game develops, all of the articles and podcasts about it have been wonderful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One of these days I should finish of those BattleCon Smash rules I made and run an actual PbP game to completion.

Edit: These ones.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 22, 2020

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I would argue that just because we're not producing big boxes ad infinitum doesn't mean a game is "over", I feel that's overly reductive. We'll still be supporting organized play for BattleCON, and as far as that goes, the revisions are better for long-term competition. It's probably not ideal for pure profit, but we want BattleCON to be a pillar of the fighting boardgame genre that'll last for years to come. There are more ways for a game to "live" than just having new product drop.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
Anyone received their copy of Empyreal and had a chance to try it out yet? Seems fun from the Kickstarter information but worried the mechanics would be too abstracted compared to other train games.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There are more ways for a game to "live" than just having new product drop.
:yeah:

There's a finite amount of design space for characters, but organized play could keep things going for years.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How is battlecon online doing?

Also BC ends when I can't fit any more characters in the unleashed box.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
How is indines pronounced?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

How is battlecon online doing?
i've tried to play every now and again and end up just sitting in queue for a couple minutes until I give up. So, probably not dead, but it's not where it used to be where you could always find a game within a minute.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

FirstAidKite posted:

In-deens.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Un-der-oos

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Ine-dinesh

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Went out as a Kickstarter update, but in case you don't read those, pledge manager for BattleCON locks at the end of this month

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Got Shovel Knight EXCEED, the production quality on this season is incredible. All of the different characters have different card-backs which are character appropriate, as well as having different backgrounds for the normals as well. Looks really good!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Tekopo posted:

Got Shovel Knight EXCEED, the production quality on this season is incredible. All of the different characters have different card-backs which are character appropriate, as well as having different backgrounds for the normals as well. Looks really good!
Did you get it with the playmat? I'm just wondering how it looks, I think the one on the website was a preliminary one.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I got the playmat and it looks pretty good in terms of the art, but the spaces on the tracks are harder to make out, although that doesn't really detract that much. My friend commented that he really liked the look of the mat.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Hackjack posted:

Anyone received their copy of Empyreal and had a chance to try it out yet? Seems fun from the Kickstarter information but worried the mechanics would be too abstracted compared to other train games.

I've gotten two plays (two and five players) in and had a blast. The rules are delightfully simple to teach and everything moved quickly. I'm not sure precisely what you mean by abstracted, but I didn't feel it was, as unhelpful as that statement is.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
The playmat isn't bad but I think I would have preferred the art from this season's space cards to be the playmat art.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
gently caress me i missed that shovel knight was getting an exceed set. That's pretty much THE way I want to try out exceed as a system. - how does it compare to BattleCON, btw.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It’s quicker and easier to get into than BattleCON, but does so at the expense of being more random, since you don’t know the exact options that your opponents has. You draw your attack options from your own deck, which you reshuffle once per game (usually), and you only select one card when you attack, and that card has similar stats to BattleCONs style + base. The only triggers usually are before/hit/after, so the strategy is based on what is called the range curve, where you are trying to get out the fastest attack at a specific range.

Each character has a deck of 30 cards, in which 16 cards are the normals (which every single character shares), 10 cards are supers (specific to the character) and 4 are ultras (also specific). Cards can be played for its attack or boost, with the latter either giving you a bonus now or until the next attack. Characters also have a unique ability that can be augmented by EXCEEDing.

Overall I really like the game: it plays a little bit like a mixture of Yomi and BattleCON. Season 3 (Street Fighter) and 4 (Shovel Knight) are great since the characters really feel close to what they do in their respective games. Season 2 (7th across) is good and has pretty technical characters that tend to try to win in alternative ways. Season 1 is best avoided though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The core mechanics are a lot like BattleCON except:
- all attacks are a single card rather than a style/base pair
- you draw your hand randomly from a face-down deck of your cards (2 copies of each card, everyone has the same "normals" but character-specific specials/ultras)
- cards can be played as boosts, which doesn't usually attack with the card but instead uses it to buff your next attack
- specials/ultras and their boosts normally cost gauge to play, and you mostly gain gauge when you hit the opponent or choose to discard cards
- moving or drawing cards are actions that everyone has access to
- each season has a unique mechanic (Tansform for s2, Critical for s3)

You can view the rulebook online like you can for BattleCON: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nki2s702qxc2f5m/exceed_street-fighter_rulebook.pdf?dl=0

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Attention! The BattleCON Unleashed pledgemanager is closing up sometime this Sunday evening, so if you've got an order to make or need to lock in, now's a good time to get on top of that. There are some exclusive items like the storage box we won't be reprinting, as well.

We have a good number of holdouts out there in the wild, so be sure to spread the word and double-check if you're uncertain at all.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Overall I really like the game: it plays a little bit like a mixture of Yomi and BattleCON. Season 3 (Street Fighter) and 4 (Shovel Knight) are great since the characters really feel close to what they do in their respective games. Season 2 (7th across) is good and has pretty technical characters that tend to try to win in alternative ways. Season 1 is best avoided though.

I demoed Ryu vs. Ken at Pax Unplugged and I really was impressed by how it felt like playing as and against those characters.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Attention! The BattleCON Unleashed pledgemanager is closing up sometime this Sunday evening, so if you've got an order to make or need to lock in, now's a good time to get on top of that. There are some exclusive items like the storage box we won't be reprinting, as well.

We have a good number of holdouts out there in the wild, so be sure to spread the word and double-check if you're uncertain at all.

If I already late pledged before and locked in my pledge through the manager, would it have charged me then or would it charge me this upcoming Sunday when it finally closes?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Is there a link to this?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

If I already late pledged before and locked in my pledge through the manager, would it have charged me then or would it charge me this upcoming Sunday when it finally closes?

It would charge you when you lock down your pledge.

Moriatti posted:

Is there a link to this?

The link to the Kickstarter is:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/battlecon-unleashed-the-ultimate-battlecon-edition

If you're a late backer, go here:

https://level99.pledgemanager.com/projects/battlecon-unleashed-the-ultimate-battlecon-edition/participate/

If you're already a backer, log in here!

https://signin.pledgemanager.com/

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013

Rosalie_A posted:

I've gotten two plays (two and five players) in and had a blast. The rules are delightfully simple to teach and everything moved quickly. I'm not sure precisely what you mean by abstracted, but I didn't feel it was, as unhelpful as that statement is.

I’m mostly puzzled by what the action spaces on the player board are supposed to represent. What is it trying to represent when there is one, two, or three developed trains? Or how does having certain train cars thematically translate to the player (executive of the rail company, I assume) having more available actions to develop their rail? What does moving the conductor pawn down the train and the reset actions at the tail of the train supposed to represent?

I think the train car pieces on the map is supposed to represent laid track on the railway map. Seems pretty straightforward. Train engines are probably more visually interesting in plastic than a track piece.

I’m just not sure I understand the player board’s thematic representation is. Especially coming from Argent, where almost every action has a clear, almost Ameritrashy, way of evoking a thematic idea.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Hackjack posted:

I’m mostly puzzled by what the action spaces on the player board are supposed to represent. What is it trying to represent when there is one, two, or three developed trains? Or how does having certain train cars thematically translate to the player (executive of the rail company, I assume) having more available actions to develop their rail? What does moving the conductor pawn down the train and the reset actions at the tail of the train supposed to represent?

I think the train car pieces on the map is supposed to represent laid track on the railway map. Seems pretty straightforward. Train engines are probably more visually interesting in plastic than a track piece.

I’m just not sure I understand the player board’s thematic representation is. Especially coming from Argent, where almost every action has a clear, almost Ameritrashy, way of evoking a thematic idea.

In that case, yeah, there's some unavoidable abstraction. You can fudge something together about how a spellcar tile actually represents adding an entire fleet (or murder or gaggle or whatever the collective for trains is) of train cars to all your trains, but as for how the conductor pawn and spellcar columns map to real life (as it were in a fantasy game) I've got nothing. Same for end of the line deliveries and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rosalie_A posted:

In that case, yeah, there's some unavoidable abstraction. You can fudge something together about how a spellcar tile actually represents adding an entire fleet (or murder or gaggle or whatever the collective for trains is) of train cars to all your trains, but as for how the conductor pawn and spellcar columns map to real life (as it were in a fantasy game) I've got nothing. Same for end of the line deliveries and such.

Think of the trains on the board as your lines and the player board as your train actually going around doing pickups and deliveries. The spellcars are the specialized cars and engines that let you carry various loads and perform various tasks.

It's all somewhat abstracted, as to why lines don't have to be connected, "magic trains". Of course, different lines could have different explanations, like Underlands burrowing or Afterworld's trains leaving the tracks to prowl the land, but the official answer from Trey was "magic trains".

On a different note, in case you didn't see, we've revamped our blogs for this year with two new weekly blog series.

The first is my A Year in Indines, covering various stories and articles on Indines - right now we've been doing interviews with the Argent candidates as part of the Argent: the Consortium reprint. Also in places like Twitter and Facebook, we've been putting out the faculty and staff IDs for various figures at Argent University.

The second is Brad's Blog, which discusses whatever's on his mind, which lately has been a retrospective for 2019 regarding Level 99 Games, and changes going on at the company.

We're looking to be more regular with our blog and social output this year with neat stuff, so take a look!