Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Witcher 3 runs on the switch

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That seems pretty much like a non-story. You make games and then you optimize them. The delay may have been to give them more time to optimize it, but that's not really out of the ordinary.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I mean I'm keen on the game but I'm not seeing it doing anything that we haven't seen done at 1080p30 locked on a base PS4, I'm sure it'll optimize and run just fine.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Tei posted:

The Witcher 3 runs on the switch

Have you seen it in person

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RBX posted:

Have you seen it in person

Yeah it owns. Playing it on the bus is really good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cdpr had 3 years post launch to get it ready for switch. They needed a year just to get the bog zone to run smooth on ps4.
Im skeptical that cp77 will be stable on current gen consoles but i think i argued with tei about this in another thread and i dont want to be annoying so ill defer to the hype until launch

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Does stadia play within a Tesla?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
All this tells me is to wait until the next-gen version to release.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think you'd be out of your mind getting CP77 on this gen. when they did the reveal video a few years ago, I was 100% certain it was gonna be revealed as a next gen title so when I saw it marketed as a PS4 title I was mega sceptical

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CDPR always made it clear their main platform is PC, really committed to those eurojank roots

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wondered if this was going to end up being an issue

https://twitter.com/pushsquare/status/1219990639653392384?s=21

death stranding runs on ps4 and its almost certainly more interesting, well made and better looking than 2077, the real reason is theyve been crunching their devs non stop and it kills productivity and theyre solving it with [checks notes] more crunch

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
wait nm

quote:

This is probably one of the reasons why CD Projekt Red decided to delay the game but according to Polish insider Borys Niespielak, current generation consoles are actually the main problem for the developers.

Speaking in a podcast, which you can watch below, Niespielak says that the original Xbox One console is not powerful enough to run the game properly and apparently, Cyberpunk 2077 performance on the console is "extremely unsatisfactory".

Borys' sources confirmed that if "this problem with Xbox has not been solved by January 2020, the release date must be postponed."

yeah this makes sense

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
who cares just abandon the non pro xbox no one gives a poo poo just like how people stopped giving a poo poo about big rear end installs at the end of last gen.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

There are millions more Xbox One S than X. Please think outside the bubble.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
So? they all have ps4's too so just buy it on that.

Edit: or just put out the bad xbox version and cest la vie

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

RBX posted:

There are millions more Xbox One S than X. Please think outside the bubble.

theres like 10 of each. just 10 not 10 million.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Cyberpunk, Doom and Dying Light 2 all looked far too good in their gameplay reveals for current gen consoles (except maybe the One X) so I hope they just delay them for next gen instead and we get to play way was originally shown. The Cyberpunk downgrade we've already seen is really disappointing, it would suck if Doom and Dying Light 2 ended up the same way. Next gen is nearly here, just spend a little extra time polishing and rake in that launch window cash because there won't be much competition.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Just lol at thinking Death boredom is a game let alone one worth playing lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

BrownieVK posted:

Just lol at thinking Death boredom is a game let alone one worth playing lol

lol sick slam dude

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

SUNKOS posted:

Cyberpunk, Doom and Dying Light 2 all looked far too good in their gameplay reveals for current gen consoles (except maybe the One X) so I hope they just delay them for next gen instead and we get to play way was originally shown. The Cyberpunk downgrade we've already seen is really disappointing, it would suck if Doom and Dying Light 2 ended up the same way. Next gen is nearly here, just spend a little extra time polishing and rake in that launch window cash because there won't be much competition.

the downgrade happens anyway

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

You're probably right but that first gameplay video of Cyberpunk 2077 looked so freakin' good :negative:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
yeah thats called marketing, its an ad

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im gonna get the gog version and probably rate it an 8

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Every reveal at E3 or anything is on a PC.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

RBX posted:

Every reveal at E3 or anything is on a PC.

uc4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It was funny when his controlller didnt work

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Stux posted:

death stranding runs on ps4 and its almost certainly more interesting, well made and better looking than 2077,

DS is mostly a "Planet Mars renders screensaver" it only have to render a static map and thats easy-mode for a game engine

77 will have to dynamically create and render trafic and peasants - many sound sources and their occlusion. This is much more busy on the CPU and more dynamic changes on textures and models

is the difference between rendering a spaceship vs rendering a animated character

Edit
DS is a very interesting game, but the interest come from the game design imo

Tei fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 23, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

The problem is that they've pre-sold tons of copies for those older platforms now. I fully agree that the game looked far too ambitious to run smoothly on base PS4/XB1 hardware but that was the promise CDPR made to people. See here:

quote:

A lot of people, after seeing last year's debut gameplay demo and the hardware it was running on, have become a bit wary of how Cyberpunk 2077 could look and run on consoles and low-end PCs. Is that a challenge in terms of optimization for lower-end hardware?

Actually no, we have a very custom engine, the RED Engine. And actually, we’re targeting consoles as first-class platforms and it looks amazing there. So obviously, if you spent, you know, $2,000 building your PC rig, it’s going to look better on that. But the graphics are quite amazing for what you’re going to get from Cyberpunk 2077 on consoles and low-end PCs.

They made the original demo PC build and then tried to hammer it later into a shape that would work on those platforms - they're now realizing that no matter how hard they try it's just not gonna work like they hoped. The CPU and RAM bottleneck is too much.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hot take

The dungeon parts of 2077 will look and play almost exactly like the last Deus Ex you played

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tei posted:

Hot take

The dungeon parts of 2077 will look and play almost exactly like the last Deus Ex you played

Hell yeah, more turn based grid movement puzzles

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cyberjunk Plenty of 77s on Metacritic more like!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Tei posted:

DS is mostly a "Planet Mars renders screensaver" it only have to render a static map and thats easy-mode for a game engine

77 will have to dynamically create and render trafic and peasants - many sound sources and their occlusion. This is much more busy on the CPU and more dynamic changes on textures and models

is the difference between rendering a spaceship vs rendering a animated character

Edit
DS is a very interesting game, but the interest come from the game design imo

yeah can you imagine a game on ps4 or xbox one doing that? it would certainly be impossible on 360 as well.

ErrEff posted:

The problem is that they've pre-sold tons of copies for those older platforms now. I fully agree that the game looked far too ambitious to run smoothly on base PS4/XB1 hardware but that was the promise CDPR made to people. See here:

They made the original demo PC build and then tried to hammer it later into a shape that would work on those platforms - they're now realizing that no matter how hard they try it's just not gonna work like they hoped. The CPU and RAM bottleneck is too much.

the actual problem here is that theyve already been crunching, and now they are death marching, and pushing people to work harder ruins productivity and causes huge problems but the people in charge of studios dont believe in ideas like "vacations" and "having reasonable breaks from work to recuperate" and the game will probably get delayed again and also not be anything close to the adverts they showed way before they had anything concrete but people will blame hardware rather than awful labor practices both ruining the game and treating the devs like garbage.

and also anything any studio shows before the game is anywhere close to done should be assumed to be complete nonsense and unrealistic because its literally marketing material that they had to make up because the game isnt even close to showable yet.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Stux posted:

yeah can you imagine a game on ps4 or xbox one doing that? it would certainly be impossible on 360 as well.

plenty of games have busy cities with traffic and peasants

the people that have seen 2077 describe the game like that but to another level where the traffic and peasants are life-like and interesting instead of generic npc's with very short routines (like in GTA)

my point was the rendering static terrain is easier for the GPU than a city with npc's

GPU's have api with array commands and caches if the terrain don't change can be uploaded by one of these array command and leave there making full use of the GPU---- if something need to be uploaded anyway is probably predictable

where in a environment where new npc's are created maybe you have to upload new textures and models all the time it can be harder on the whole system

my theory anyway

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 23, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Tei posted:

plenty of games have busy cities with traffic and peasants

the people that have seen 2077 describe the game like that but to another level where the traffic and peasants are life-like and interesting instead of generic npc's with very short routines (like in GTA)

yeah and oblivion has radiant ai

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

So radiant it hurts to look at it

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tei posted:

That does sound cool and interesting, but while this sounds complicated to implement and code for, I don't think it's actually resource intensive, at least not any moreso than what we're already seeing in the newer Hitman games and the bulk of open world games from the past like 4 or 5 years that work fine-ish on a base Xbox One.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
cdpr arent the best at optimal coding in the first place and their devs are being crunched to death thats really all there is to it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Stux posted:

and also anything any studio shows before the game is anywhere close to done should be assumed to be complete nonsense and unrealistic because its literally marketing material that they had to make up because the game isnt even close to showable yet.

That's not true. There are some extreme examples like the Killzone 2 CGI reveal and the Anthem reveal (which is noteworthy because the developers themselves were shocked by it since development was nowhere near there yet somehow there was gameplay that looked incredible and the dev team were utterly blindsided by it) along with others but the vast majority of game reveals are actually vertical slices of the game that are being played. Most studios do this and even in the case of Cyberpunk, I have no doubt that what we saw was something real, it's just very likely that it was separate from the actual game and has since been scrapped or heavily downgraded (I'm guessing the latter, judging by more recent gameplay videos).

I think the problem is they all start development on PC and then have the "Oh poo poo, this will never work on console" and have to go back to the drawing board. The original Dying Light gameplay reveal looked fantastic, but was clearly running on a PC, and when it launched it was vastly downgraded but still had the same areas, so the devs took the real work and hacked away at it until it was stable. CDPR did it with Witcher 3, and now Cyberpunk is getting the same treatment. The gameplay demo for Dying Light 2 looked amazing but again, that was obviously running on a PC and will either need a major downgrade or next gen hardware to run.

That's the problem really, the dev kits for consoles are much more powerful than retail units and because of the new architecture being standardized rather than crazy Cell/Xenon stuff, they can use PC as a base and then modify from there. Take Dark Souls 2 as well, and the famous downgrade that had. People actually got to play the original demo they showed for that and said it was fantastic and looked great, and was really fun as well, they actually got hands-on with it and were just as puzzled as everyone else when the final game came out and was massively downgraded. Sadly Dark Souls 3 had some incredible looking pre-release screenshots and gameplay clips as well, but that got massively downgraded also. It's a shame as well because the original version was oozing so much atmosphere (think Bloodborne) and a lot got stripped back or removed for release.

univbee posted:

That does sound cool and interesting, but while this sounds complicated to implement and code for, I don't think it's actually resource intensive, at least not any moreso than what we're already seeing in the newer Hitman games and the bulk of open world games from the past like 4 or 5 years that work fine-ish on a base Xbox One.

Hitman AI seems much more simple than what was shown in Cyberpunk, the graphics are also nowhere near what Cyberpunk was showing and most importantly, Cyberpunk is an open world game whereas Hitman is level-based. Yes the levels are big but AI takes up a lot or resources. Your typical dumb AI is a huge resource drain, smarter AI that is very rarely seen in games these days takes a hell of a lot of resources and is relegated to games where there's not many of them to encounter at any one time, and AI that's actually somewhat good would be a tremendous resource hog and what CD Project Red described is the latter there. The fact it's both that and they showed streets literally full of them? If they release the game on current gen consoles they are fools. Ease up development, let staff take it slow, and start porting to next gen and just leave current gen behind with a press release apology so people angry can get their refunds or switch their preorder for the next gen version. If they can deliver what was originally shown for next gen in the launch window they will make bank, and even the people pissed enough to cancel their preorders will be falling over themselves to play it.

Also, current gen consoles have really weak CPUs and that's why there's basically been no advancements on the AI front. Next gen will launch with genuinely powerful up-to-date CPUs so we should see some real improvements to AI this time round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
its often not down to hardware issues, its more a realisation that doing that over an entire large game is untenable. also yes most of them are slices of a game running in real time but they are still marketing pieces that are fluffed up to generate hype and preorders. thats literally why you show things off from a game long before its close to shipping. anything shown early should always be assumed to be nonsense. most of the pre-downgrades couldve still been done on the consoles, and i dont really think the "oh wait we cant do this on console!!!" exists given how much you can actually do on them. also that ignores games that literally have settings that dont work on top end PCs when they come out. crysis obviously and infamously, but also the current new RTX stuff like metro and control with everything on at 4k just cant realistically run on any hardware at a steady 60fps let alone higher. also it ignores stuff like mgs5 a big complex open world game being so efficiently made and in such a fantastic engine that it actually ran on last gen hardware unbelievably well, with 256mb of ram.

most downgrades come from them being straight up not real. they might be "real" in that they are running in engine on hardware, but they are not practical for that team to do for the entire game. the dark souls ones especially because the games are already generally worse looking than bigger titles, and even with the early marketing shots it wasnt spectacular, its just not a very big team or budget compared to much larger AAA games. cyberpunk in particular comes from a studio with awful management. t heyve already been crunching and theyve said outright this will be 5 months of crunch from the delay. crunch ruins productivity but its much easier to say "oh yeah itsjust the xbox sucks lol" than "we have mismanaged our dev team and to solve it we will continue to mismanage them for another 5 months in the hope we will get blood from a stone". in the vast majority of cases the downgrades exist because they did a best case for marketing shots, and then when it came time to realistically look at how much time it will take to make those assets for the entire game, it was considered not viable.

the only reveal of note i can remember from this gen where the marketing shots from long before the game was gold matched the release was uc4, and ironically that game was the one that was most pointed at at the time as being nonsense. the difference there is that naughtydog on a technical level are literal wizards.