Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Aidan_702 posted:

Irish election debate for those interested

https://youtu.be/GUGzDxbRIlo

It is definitely entertaining. Especially Leo having to awkwardly admit to taking drugs at the end of a question about what they would do re middle class cocaine users

It's a joke of a debate. It be like if Clegg and Cameron were the only ones in a leader debate after their coalition.

Edit: 109 years ago in 1911 Jim Larkin published the first issue of the Irish Worker on behalf of the Transport & General Workers Union. It was suppressed in 1914 for promoting the idea that the Irish shouldn't go fight in WW1 for the British.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can't make out who is accusing who of what here! (Went to the tweet threads).

Sarah Owen seems to say that it is far right doing it?

Yeah sorry.

Some clarity:

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Sugarman/status/1220075713010847745?s=20

https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1220112950662434822?s=20

https://twitter.com/Conservative_JA/status/1220008687185682432?s=20

https://twitter.com/c21stprimitive/status/1220109045069176837?s=20

https://twitter.com/JackHanlon__/status/1220107886812106752?s=20

E: Oh, and this one:

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1220051646669033476?s=20

This Ayesha Hazarika seems like a bit of a poo poo. Former adviser to Ed Milliband and Harriett Harman, now seems to be trashing the left and RLB a lot. She's showed up on my TL quite a bit recently.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 23, 2020

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

is there a way to do the hardest brexit possible but only for these people specifically and everyone else continues to live in a working society

absolute vermin, jfc

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

RottenK posted:

is there a way to do the hardest brexit possible but only for these people specifically and everyone else continues to live in a working society

absolute vermin, jfc

Antiracist activists "vermin", say multiple hard-left momentum thugs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
:smdh:

https://twitter.com/KateThea3/status/1220125074465968128?s=20

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

kustomkarkommando posted:

He's still running... And so is his brother who'll win a seat as well... hell they could probably field a third family member and get another seat if they wanted (there's three more nephews and nieces who are all councillors in the same seat)

Kerry is just going to return Healy-Raes from now on.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Anyone else noticed that there seem to be like 10000 twitter bots searching for people posting about Meghan or Harry to then copy paste emote ridden sensationalist articles about them?

I tried to pin one down to use some written English words but all they produced was some severely broken English where they didn't know a single thing about the royal family even when googling and throwing wiki articles.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/gadyepstein/status/1219841290906558465?s=09

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope one year a glacier just decides to give up and wipes out the whole thing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I knew Trump had spoken I didn't realise anyone had actually been polite to him about it.

Jesus gently caress the new axis is old white and saggy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/HywelRoberts2/status/1220255389054271488?s=20

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Is this a reverse psychology thing? Maybe if everyone started publicly thanking Trump for all he's done to fight racism & climate change he'll have to go along with it because nothing is more important to him than his ego.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the convention for the literal gazillionaire illuminati, their idea of promoting unity is killing all the non white rich people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

killing all the non white rich people.
If A is rich and B is white, who are they killing here, because I just read this about three different ways.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Wait Jose do you also know Hywel?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Are people at Davos calling for the billionaires to pay their taxes again, or did they successfully weed all those types out?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

xtothez posted:

Is this a reverse psychology thing? Maybe if everyone started publicly thanking Trump for all he's done to fight racism & climate change he'll have to go along with it because nothing is more important to him than his ego.

It didn't work when they gave Obama a preemptive peace prize, I doubt it'll work here

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

If A is rich and B is white, who are they killing here, because I just read this about three different ways.

Sorry "non white-rich-people"

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
[very, very, quietly] birb?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Dwarfbeardbird

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Solidarity Fund Update

Just a few quick notes at this point:

- The fund committee has still not got together to discuss what factors we will use as basis for choosing an account holder. We have decided that committee communication will be done by Signal, unfortunately the delay is because I am still without a phone. Junior G-man has very kindly sent me a handset today so once that gets through the post we'll be off and running. In the meantime if anyone else would like to add their name to the list of nominees for account holder then just contact a committee member

- Due to recent events on the site (ie. what's come out about Lowtax's abuse of his wife and the admin team's inadequate response to transphobia and other bigotry) Captain Fargle has chosen to leave SA, although he is still an active member of the UKMT Discord. He appreciates this may make people feel uncomfortable about him being a committee member and is willing to step down if people think that would be appropriate. If anyone has an issue with this then please let us know either in thread, in the discord channel or privately. In the event Fargle steps down we would ask Bundy to join the committee as the next highest vote-getter in the election, assuming he still wants to do it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Comrade Fakename posted:

Are people at Davos calling for the billionaires to pay their taxes again, or did they successfully weed all those types out?

Nothing will top John McDonnell going there and telling them that everyone hated them imo

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

MikeCrotch posted:

Nothing will top John McDonnell going there and telling them that everyone hated them imo

Post links!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently there was an earthquake this morning? I didn't feel anything.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently there was an earthquake this morning? I didn't feel anything.

I'd be amazed if a 2.8 magnitude quake would wake you up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was already awake. But apparently it was centered on stockton.

I've felt them before over here. Dunno what causes them. Other than possibly god's displeasure at us returning a tory.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Rarity posted:

(ie. what's come out about Lowtax's abuse of his wife and the admin team's inadequate response to transphobia and other bigotry)

wait what

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Which part would you like explained first?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Stormgale posted:

Which part would you like explained first?

I heard there had been some mod drama but thought it had been pretty much resolved and most of the trash swept out. Then there was the whole (connected) FYAD thing, but again I thought that had all been sorted. Didn't realise there were ongoing issues that would make someone want to leave, most mods seem to come down on transphobia pretty hard.

The Lowtax thing is new to me though, it's a big accusation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Wait Jose do you also know Hywel?

I just follow him on twitter

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

I heard there had been some mod drama but thought it had been pretty much resolved and most of the trash swept out. Then there was the whole (connected) FYAD thing, but again I thought that had all been sorted. Didn't realise there were ongoing issues that would make someone want to leave, most mods seem to come down on transphobia pretty hard.

I know one of the transphobic FYAD mods was quietly unbanned without any discussion amongst mods/admin. The Lowtax thing is news to me though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume it's something to do with the thread in gbs

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/EyesLeftPod/status/1220222227263574016

(Click through for the thread it's well worth it)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ThomasPaine posted:

- FYAD is closed and a lot of the mods are great at handling bigotry but there's still plenty who aren't and this is being enabled by the admin team. Probations and permabans for bigotry are regularly being overturned with no explanation of discussion among the mod team and minorities are being probated in equal measure for speaking out.

- A GoFundMe has been posted which is allegedly from Lowtax's wife detailing emotional and financial abuse which matches up to Lowtax's version of events pretty neatly

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The guy on the right runs the forgotten weapons youtube channel.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Venomous posted:

That's the thing though: 2004 was John Kerry, ie. your bogstandard neoliberal, against the man who bravely united the country after 9/11 and all that bullshit. Mark Blyth said John Kerry was 'what everyone in the Democratic Party thought everyone who was not a Democrat would like for President. Nobody actually voted for him because they were like, JOHN KERRY WHAT A GUY, they were like, we need to beat Bush, so who's someone that we think other people think would beat Bush?' That's why John Kerry lost, and that's why anyone who isn't Bernie will lose, because they're just another bunch of John Kerrys. Bernie is actually trying not to be a John Kerry, and he has a solid chance of pulling in Gary from Gary, Indiana who couldn't stand yet another John Kerry in the White House.

I mean, you say you were being dumb, but they didn't have a Bernie in the race that year. We didn't have Obama showing us just how bad John Kerry would have been. We didn't know any better. Now we do.

And no, I guarantee the #resistance will turn on the Dems in an instant if Bernie gets the nomination. Bloody numpties.

Yeah GW Bush was in solid double digit net approval for most of his term (even before 9/11) and even as that narrowed to fluctuate around 0 as the election approached and everyone got partisan the worst score he ever got was around -6 whereas trump has been steady at around -10 for pretty much his entire term. Trump's approval rating is unusual in that it's been very stable and always low, see here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 23, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

I assume it's something to do with the thread in gbs

So obviously I dont have the full background to Lowtax's family dispute.

But in my experience as a lawyer, two points come to mind.

1) Family Law disputes are very often super bitter and emotionally charged. Even more so than murder cases.
Every single minor thing from the past can get dragged up and almost nothing is agreed. Even the lawyers can be swept into it and mirror their clients emotions.
The best description I heard for it is "In criminal cases you have the worst people on their best behaviour. In family law you have the best people on their worst behaviour. "

2) That being said the best lawyers are able to remain even tempered and come across as logical. Lowtax's approach of "I will listen to my lawyer and say nothing" is the best way of handling things.
His wife's decision to (supposedly) make a number of allegations on a GoFundMe Page is almost certainly against any legal advice and is not a good way of handling things.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Im just gonna say that chiding a woman for pointing out someone abused her is a bad look.

Also Lowtax has literally done facebook rants on "Crazy stuff my wife has done" so go off

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Was the chiding before or after this became a court case? Because if it's after then it's valid as she can only harm her case.

I'd also say there's a difference between supporting women who come forward with accusations of abuse and just outright declaring it as factually correct i.e saying 'due to lowtax's abuse of his wife'. That's too far. There's no need to rush to that level of judgement.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Question IRL posted:

2) That being said the best lawyers are able to remain even tempered and come across as logical. Lowtax's approach of "I will listen to my lawyer and say nothing" is the best way of handling things.
His wife's decision to (supposedly) make a number of allegations on a GoFundMe Page is almost certainly against any legal advice and is not a good way of handling things.

It's completely anonymous, dude. Hence why I said allegedly cause it's not fully confirmed that this is her.