Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I found doing physical things and being fairly good at physical stats pretty funny, because the protagonist usually feels pretty physically fragile from all the substance abuse and exhaustion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Night10194 posted:

I found doing physical things and being fairly good at physical stats pretty funny, because the protagonist usually feels pretty physically fragile from all the substance abuse and exhaustion.

Turns out the rampant drug abuse is Raphael's version of weighted clothes, the man would be a fitness god if he was ever at 100%.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Raphael is in surprisingly good shape all things considered.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Lena did say he's a good looking dude.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also, there's no stamina meter on your 'sprint'.

ENDURANCE : Medium Success You don't want to see your stamina meter, man.
INLAND EMPIRE : Easy Success It is vast, like your soul.
ELECTROCHEMISTRY : Trivial Success It's 'for the ladies'!

- "Shut up, brain, that is gross and not funny"
- "Shut up, brain, that is gross and not funny" (Lie)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tylana posted:

Also, there's no stamina meter on your 'sprint'.

ENDURANCE : Medium Success You don't want to see your stamina meter, man.
INLAND EMPIRE : Easy Success It is vast, like your soul.
ELECTROCHEMISTRY : Trivial Success It's 'for the ladies'!

- "Shut up, brain, that is gross and not funny"
- "Shut up, brain, that is gross and not funny" (Lie)

SUGGESTION: [Trivial: Failure] DO THE HELICOPTER METER

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

BisbyWorl posted:

Turns out the rampant drug abuse is Raphael's version of weighted clothes, the man would be a fitness god if he was ever at 100%.

Also detective god, and Raphael does not want to put other cops out of their jobs before the communist revolution is achieved :colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've honestly been kind of disappointed in the politics part of the writing so far. Every so often you suddenly get a dialogue prompt where you have to pick one of a few cartoonishly oversimplified political statements that are always just the most braindead slogans that have no interaction with the rest of the game at all. We got asked what we thought about Evrart and now it's time to forget everything about the actual interaction with the guy and say Oh he's TRULY a HERO. You can practically smell the Communism variable incrementing in the background. When the game came out I read a bunch of goon posts saying FINALLY a game that isn't afraid to talk about politics! Maybe those posts were all being sarcastic or maybe it gets (a lot) better later, but so far it's been a disappointment on the level of HATE NEWSPAPER.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'd say, generally, your reactions are mostly goofy and over the top. This might be to protect against players complaining at being made something they didn't want to be. The situations and NPCs have more nuance though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also Raphael is recovering from a recent total annihilation of his sense of self which makes his responses to situations very odd, especially in the early days of the game.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Addendum IV: Botchcop Knows Karate

Content warning: censored homophobic slurs

Botchcop is back, and sexier than ever!

Still not that sexy, though.

Talking to the Racist Lorry Driver:

Botchcop is actually the Civility Police. Shameful.

RACIST LORRY DRIVER: “I haven’t learned anything I didn’t know before.” The lorryman shakes his head with indignation.

RACIST LORRY DRIVER: “People who’ve studied these things say that *you* and *me* are superior by design.” He glances at Kim. “So, naturally, we Occidentals should be in charge. Obviously you can see the merits in that.”

Botchcop is too cowardly to denounce racism. Tsk tsk.

RACIST LORRY DRIVER: “Go right ahead.” The man scratches his heavyset stomach. “You may be a cop, but that won’t help you avoid the calamity to come.”
KIM KITSURAGI: Lieutenant Kitsuragi’s stern expression remains unchanged—but you sense something there. Below…

RACIST LORRY DRIVER: “Yeah, apples… I take it you had other questions?”

RACIST LORRY DRIVER: “No.”

RACIST LORRY DRIVER: “I bet.” His cool gaze pierces deep, with noxious effluence wafting in the surrounding air.

We then enter Frittte.

Worth noting: we lack the necessary Interfacing to even get the option to steal a raincoat.

Hobocop gets us more money for recycling tare!

And now Electrochemistry wants us to spend it on vice!

FRITTTE CLERK: The clerk looks at the wall of goods behind her. “Um… Sure. If you want something, I can get it for you. Just let me know and pay and stuff…” She adjusts her hat. “But I’m obliged to inform you that both alcohol and cigarettes damage your health. But I guess you already know that.”

FRITTTE CLERK: She stares at you, unsure. “I mean, I already said it’d hurt you? I don’t know what else they do.”

FRITTTE CLERK: “No.” she fixes her hair underneath her cap. “Frittte only sells legal drugs, like the law says.”

Next, we investigate the locked trash container.

TRASH CONTAINER: It’s a giant rifle and it’s very expensive. Not as expensive as that fat string of pearls snaking among the rotten banana peels however…

We get a new thought from this conversation:

Botchcop is now DOOMCOP

When investigating the Racist Lorry Driver’s lorry:

When talking to the Scab Leader:

When talking to Mañana:

CALL ME MAÑANA: “Good one, officer.” He grins. “Don’t worry, we here have solidarity with the RCM.”

Now for Measurehead:

All right, fucker. Let’s do this.

MEASUREHEAD: The man is reeling, gasping for air, time stands still around you. In the distance the sounds of the harbour are falling silent.
PERCEPTION (HEARING): [Easy: Success] All you hear is a small gurgling sound as a trickle of blood appears on the man’s lip.

Wait, really????

FUCKIN’ A

MEASUREHEAD: As you slam your fist on the button the man collapses entirely, his head rolling to the side…
MEASUREHEAD'S BABE: “Looks like you’re the new Measurehead now.”

Botchcop is officially a superstar.

In the office:

Outside after picking up our cloak, we decide to open the Damaged Ledger:

DAMAGED LEDGER: If you *want* it to be kitchen tissue, it can be kitchen tissue.

KIM KITSURAGI: “Okay. Okay.” He nods. “It’s a good name, but it has *one* problem—this case has nothing to do with the setting sun. At all. It has nothing to do with that. So…”

KIM KITSURAGI: “Ha! Yes.” He isn’t actually laughing. “I have to tell you officer, I don’t appreciate *ironic* titles. Other officers will have to use this as reference. If it’s ‘IDIOT’, or ‘COCK FINGER’…”

Boo.

DAMAGED LEDGER: Who do you think?

SHIVERS: And above the distant streets and the 8/81—even above the old dish market and the church. Its material existence is lost. This great city will pocket it for you. For your own sake—forget about it.
ELECTROCHEMISTRY: [Medium: Success] Synapses can be rerouted. The mind takes a new shape.

The Damaged Ledger is now the Ledger of Oblivion. Its associated stats changed as well.

We put a point into Savoir Faire.

NIGHTWATCHMAN’S BOOTH: It’s a black and white photo of a young couple out in a street fair. The man—René—is dressed in a Royal Carabineer uniform. The girl is young and very pretty. She is smiling playfully at the camera.

Now, let’s talk to Leo.

KIM KITSURAGI: You see disdain in the lieutenant’s dark eyes when they meet your for a moment. He does not approve of you ridiculing this little man.

Finally, let’s head in and talk to Evrart:

KIM KITSURAGI: “Don’t be dramatic. I can see your condition isn’t terminal.”

EVRART CLAIRE: “Okay, Harry, you got me,” he says, grinning. “This is from the Census Bureau, not the RCM. Those Census Bureau people are absolutely *corrupt*. You should do something about them.”
KIM KITSURAGI: “He got the name from the Census Bureau and everything else from your actions here in Martinaise.”
EVRART CLAIRE: “Yes, yes, Mr. Kitsuragi, from the Census Bureau, like I said.” He looks annoyed. “Now I’m actually a very busy man, so is there anything else I can do for you, Harry?”
LOGIC: [Easy: Success] That means he doesn’t *really* know anything about you.

EVRART CLAIRE: “Am I going to ask?” Hell, Harry—you *spin-kicked* my strongest man in the face. I saw it from my window!”

Don’t praise Botchcop, it goes to his head.

We get Evrart’s help with the gun and corpse to finish this one off.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 22, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Of course it would be Botchcop who believes he is actually some kind of superstar person.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

I've honestly been kind of disappointed in the politics part of the writing so far. Every so often you suddenly get a dialogue prompt where you have to pick one of a few cartoonishly oversimplified political statements that are always just the most braindead slogans that have no interaction with the rest of the game at all. We got asked what we thought about Evrart and now it's time to forget everything about the actual interaction with the guy and say Oh he's TRULY a HERO. You can practically smell the Communism variable incrementing in the background. When the game came out I read a bunch of goon posts saying FINALLY a game that isn't afraid to talk about politics! Maybe those posts were all being sarcastic or maybe it gets (a lot) better later, but so far it's been a disappointment on the level of HATE NEWSPAPER.

give it a second, we're still in the setup phase. the first very good bit is shortly to come, when we decide to chat with the nice lady about history.

Raphael is an amnesiac drunk who seems to have lost his inner filter in recent events, and most people are too worried about actively antagonizing him to treat him as the depraved mess he is. his politics are almost exclusively played for laughs. as Botchcop demonstrates those laughs can be REAL FUCKIN' ROUGH, but they are there. no matter what political angle he takes, he ends up a grotesque caricature of that political angle, because, i mean, look at him.

the rest of the world is where the political writing really, really shines.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Night10194 posted:

Of course it would be Botchcop who believes he is actually some kind of superstar person.
We love drugs and Dunning-Kruger is one hell of a drug.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hoped botchcop would agree with Measurehead, not spin kick him

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You don't take a 6 Phys and NOT spin kick Measurehead.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Night10194 posted:

You don't NOT spin kick

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC going with the sensible move instead of spin kicking actually loses you the fight.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

anilEhilated posted:

IIRC going with the sensible move instead of spin kicking actually loses you the fight.

It does. Measurehead just gets back up, grabs your hand mid-punch, and makes you regret your previous life choices.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Is it just me, or does rhetoric look like it's giving head?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

anilEhilated posted:

Electrochemistry is an irresponsible nutter, but it will accomplish its goal of getting you high as gently caress if you listen to it.

Half-Light is the actual dumbest skill, because if you listen to the terrified voice in your head you will usually just botch-cop harder than you knew it was possible to botch. Half-Light telling you NOT to 360 spin kick is precisely why it should never be given too much consideration.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Night10194 posted:

Half-Light is the actual dumbest skill, because if you listen to the terrified voice in your head you will usually just botch-cop harder than you knew it was possible to botch. Half-Light telling you NOT to 360 spin kick is precisely why it should never be given too much consideration.

Nah. The dumbest skill is volition. It keeps suggesting you to be as bland and by the books as possible.
Half-light would argue against spin kicking, because the ways it might go wrong. Volition just wouldn't want to cause a fuss.
Seriously, high volition actually takes choices away from you. Some other skill has an original idea and volition just shuts that down and doesn't let you pick that option.

I played with one volition and only regretted it at the start when I didn't have any medicine yet and randomly committed suicide, because Raphael touched a car. That is really a weird first death, because you don't even realize why any of this is happening.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 23, 2020

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

If I transcribed it right, here's what Google translate thinks of those Greek bits:

First
Second
Third

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Botchcop is a disastrous human being, but an excellent weapon.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 17: 17:13-17:58: Show Me The Goods

You ignore the vendor for the moment to collect some of these juicy thoughts.

BOX OF SUNGLASSES: Abort! These are hideous. What’s more, they don’t even fit your face. You can feel them pinching your nose and chafing against your brow.
SIILENG: “drat, officer, you look like a mega-secret spy, very secret,” the man nods eagerly. “They’re practically made for you. I’ll let you have them for… two reál and fifty cents!”
COMPOSURE: [Medium: Success] It’s going to be very difficult for anyone to take you seriously with these things on your face.

Listen to Kim. This sycophantic consumerist agent means only to deceive you.

We rummage through the box.

BOX OF SUNGLASSES: These are all boring. Boring third-rate ho-hum sunglasses made of cheap Seraise plastic. The kind of plastic that melts in the sun.
DRAMA: [Easy: Success] Those UV-stickers are almost certainly just there for show. If anything, these lenses probably direct more UV light *into* your pupils—a UV magnifier.

CONCEPTUALIZATION: This is how a sea monster sees the world. You’ve become a sea monster, Harry—giant, hidden, and… strangely tender at heart. All is blue.
PERCEPTION (SIGHT): [Medium: Success] Alright, but these actually make your vision worse. It’s like literally being underwater.
INLAND EMPIRE: [Medium: Success] Yes, but they also make your soul quiver like jello. So deep.
SIILENG: “Wow, officer, you look so cool,” the street vendor has picked up his pace again, as you observe the world through deep sea-tinted lenses.

KIM KITSURAGI: The lieutenant tilts his head and steps back, eyes narrowed in a thorough examination. It’s a case to him.

Nah.

PERCEPTION (SIGHT): [Easy: Success] The name “Siileng” is embroidered over his breast pocket.

SIILENG: “*Everything’s* cool. The goods are cool, the customers are cool, the place is cool—and one more thing, officer…”
SHIVERS: [Medium: Success] ...from out on the bay a cool wind gathers. It sweeps into the city, tugging at the textiles hanging around the stand. Some distance away the sound of a tin can clattering across the street can be heard…

SIILENG: “Oh yes! You got style, you got *personal* style. You know what you like.” He surveys his consumerist kingdom with an air of satisfaction. “You like premium menswear! Look around and browse, everything looks cool on a guy like you. Take your time.”

SIILENG: “Good joke, officer! Here we don’t have permits, just economic freedom. Take a look around…” He takes a deep breath.
PERCEPTION (SIGHT): [Easy: Success] You glance around the decrepit buildings, the miserable weather, the sidewalks strewn with sunflower seeds and the dust-choked air…

KIM KITSURAGI: “It is, yes. Anyone can set up their shop whenever they feel like it.”

KIM KITSURAGI: “If you wanted to be *cynical* about it you could say we’re here to protect the interests of property holders. I’m not, however.”
SIILENG: “My man, officer, *you* make all this possible! Without you, this climate would be extremely bad for business. You’re part of the gossamer state!”

SIILENG: “Yeah—*cool* ruins,” he agrees. “I get to sell quality goods like these by cutting out the middleman. *You* don’t have to rebuild your house. Live in a crater! Or in a tree!” He points to a tree. “*Where* can you do that? Only in here.”

SIILENG: “No need for discounts at Siileng’s, officer. Everything’s already on sale.” He nods towards the crates. “Anything you want, 50% off!”

There’s something almost charming about this dude’s brazen disregard for your basic intelligence.

SIILENG: “You mean these *delicious* pre-packaged, shelf-stable meal kits? Really easy to cook, no hassle, *really* cheap too—buy some, try them out!”

SIILENG: “No problem here, officer. I get all this from one of my suppliers, an extremely reputable guy.”

It literally fell off the back of a truck.

SIILENG: “What?” The street vendor looks over his left shoulder and stares at the lorry—as though he’s never seen a lorry in his entire life.
DRAMA: [Medium: Success] A convincing performance, bravo!
SIILENG: “Look, officer. I’m just the retailer. You’d have to talk to my supplier if you got questions about the supply chain. That’s how the game works.”
KIM KITSURAGI: “Interesting.” The lieutenant whips out his blue notebook and makes a note.
ESPRIT DE CORPS: [Medium: Success] We’ll need more if we’re going to pin this one down, he thinks—good questions, though. Sharp eyes, officer.

Wait, no, I told you not to do this!

SIILENG: “Me? It’s a boring story, officer. Who cares about the past? I’m all business now—all Revachol.”

And this is why!

SIILENG: “An investment?” He raises a brow, intrigued, “What kind of investment?”

FALN SNEAKERS ON A PEDESTAL OF SPEAKERS: A pair of FALN ‘Ultras.’ The design is impossible sleek and simple—a futuristic silhouette with a sleek monochrome colorway, a jet black upper, and a silver-lined midsole.
SIILENG: “Those sneakers, mister…” the street vendor intones. “Those sneakers are the latest FALN sneakers. Super-rare, super-fine, super-cool—only 50 reál!”

Can’t afford these, darn.

FALN SNEAKERS ON A PEDESTAL OF SPEAKERS: These once-respectable speakers have been conquered, reduced to a mere prop by the indomitable FALN ‘Ultras’ atop them.
PERCEPTION (SIGHT): [Medium: Success] A small heat emboss on the veneer reads: “Solidarity Aid from the People’s Republic of Samara.” The speakers themselves don’t seem to display any magical qualities.

SIILENG: “Well, if you *want* them…” He pauses for a moment, calculating. “But see, they are the pedestal for my sneakers. If I let go of the speakers, where will the sneakers go? I can’t leave premium lifestyle sneakers on the *ground*… If, on the other hand, you wanted to buy the *sneakers*, too, I could maybe throw in the speakers for a little extra—50 cents.”

gently caress this.

SIILENG: “Don’t be shy, these are premium-class clothes! Good quality fabrics, best retro design! Save the economy with your style, officer!”

SIILENG: “Look around, officer! You see all these premium goods, just sitting there, *not* getting bought? We’ve got to keep the flow of goods moving!”

PILE OF CLOTHES: You find your hands deep in tattered and faded garments made from weird polyester blends that make your body itch and sweat in all the wrong places.
PERCEPTION (SMELL): [Medium: Success] The box smells like cat piss—or like an old person with no money.

COMPOSURE: They itch. Like hell. Like an itch-pit in hell.

No thanks.

Well, that’s all we can do with Siileng.

Let’s head back over to the Whirling-In-Rags and finally talk to the Hardie Boys.

Hey, it’s the gardener!

ELIZABETH: “Detective Disorientated.” She smiles coldly. “Are you still wondering where you are? This is Martinaise, in case you’ve forgotten. I advise you not to overstay your welcome.”

ELIZABETH: “That’s right, I’m not a gardener, I’m a legal counselor for the Dockworkers’ Union.” She crosses her arms. “So let’s get to it—you’re looking for Titus Hardie. You think he has information that will help you. Maybe he does.” She points to the man on her right. “That’s Titus. Talk to him. But know this: I’ll be keeping an eye on you. No strong-arming, nothing official. The district of Martinaise does not recognize your authority to make arrests.”
KIM KITSURAGI: “It doesn’t matter if you recognize our authority. We will make an arrest if we have to.”
ELIZABETH: She says nothing; her glare speaks for her.

ELIZABETH: “I suggest not wasting time on trivial pleasantries and focusing on why you are actually here—Titus Hardie,” she points to the tall man by the table.
COMPOSURE: [Easy: Success] Even though she has excellent control over herself, something moved behind her eyes, in the way she stands, in her face…

ELIZABETH: “You’re not here to chat up the legal council, you’re here to question these men.”
AUTHORITY: You set the pace and the topic of these conversations here. Establish that.

ELIZABETH: “I represent the Union and these men here.” She points to the crew around the table. “Don’t make this personal.”

(I ended up misreading the Drama line before and went weak where I should have gone strong. Oh well, we still got something out of it)

ELIZABETH: “What you want is of no significance, *officer*. Don’t test your authority—in Martinaise you are no one.”
AUTHORITY: [Medium: Success] I saw what you were thinking. You want to say ‘what are you going to *do* to me?’ Don’t. Just because it’s in your head doesn’t mean you have to say it.

Fine, geez. We won’t say it.

ELIZABETH: “Aggressive? You make your living enforcing violence. These people are just *dock workers*.”
KIM KITSURAGI: “Hmm. So you were spying on us. And now you represent murder suspects—*just dock workers*.”
ELIZABETH: “Listen, you Moralintern lackeys. You’re a mob, enforcing the unlawful privatization of Revachol. Twenty fat men in the Occident are stealing it all—and you’re their bodyguards.”

Sorry, I need to stop for a moment. I honestly have no idea why I picked this option, to be frank. I think I just didn’t understand it in the heat of the moment, maybe? It’s also vaguely sexist, so that’s fun.

Next time, we’re going to interview Titus Hardie.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
that last Authority check right there is one of my favorite ones in the game

hi, this is your ability to read power dynamics checking in: do not dare the woman who has made a total 180 in presentation, from helpful and quiet to openly hostile, to show you what she can do to you. in front of an audience, of very large, hostile men, who outnumber you. the best case scenario is you are merely humiliated.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I gotta say, you were fumbling your choices quite a bit this update. Is Botchcop slowly taking over? By the end of the game, this guy will be a total wreck, while Kim manages to reform Botchcop.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

that last Authority check right there is one of my favorite ones in the game

hi, this is your ability to read power dynamics checking in: do not dare the woman who has made a total 180 in presentation, from helpful and quiet to openly hostile, to show you what she can do to you. in front of an audience, of very large, hostile men, who outnumber you. the best case scenario is you are merely humiliated.

Authority is significantly more useful for knowing when you shouldn't push your luck and picking out who's in charge than trying to assert yourself.

It's the irony of Authority: It wants to push people around but its best trait is telling you when to back down.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Huh, playing along on my own run I figured out early the gardener was keeping tabs on me but kept the knowledge to myself instead of confronting her about it. Wasn't expecting her to go so overt all of the sudden, I guess the only benefit to that will be my character not being as surprised by the change in demeanor.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

cant cook creole bream posted:

I gotta say, you were fumbling your choices quite a bit this update. Is Botchcop slowly taking over? By the end of the game, this guy will be a total wreck, while Kim manages to reform Botchcop.
You've heard of bimboification? Get ready for botchcopification.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

All cops are botchcops, haven't you heard?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Fish Noise posted:

You've heard of bimboification? Get ready for botchcopification.

It starts off with an interest in dick mullen novels and by the end of it you're hanging off a flagpole in nothing but your shoes (no socks) screaming about how a duck stole your respect.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

That seems more like the work of a perfidious goose.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Quicksilver6 posted:

That seems more like the work of a perfidious goose.

:honk:

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
If the goose was wearing the tie it'd be :perfect:.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

:five:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 18: 17:58-19:22: Why Won’t These Cops Go Away? A Hardie Boys Mystery

Content warning: mentions of rape

We don’t really need to know about “Monica’s titties.” Let’s just talk to Titus.

GLEN: “Hey rear end in a top hat, up here! We’re talking to you!”

TITUS HARDIE: “Oh, this is about him?” He looks around. “A real looker, that one…”
SHANKY: “You sure took your time, huh?” He looks to Titus for approval. “Waited for him to get real ripe and pretty for you?”
GLEN: “Oh, he was a real pretty boy, hanging up there… Letting out that *pretty-boy smell*.”
TITUS HARDIE: “I can’t for the life of me understand why you did it.” He spreads his arms. “I mean… I would have just left him up there. You must really like cleaning up other people’s poo poo.”

PERCEPTION (SIGHT): [Easy: Success] The emblem on his vest says ‘Rowing club’. A little patch below it reads: ‘T. Hardie, Captain’.

EUGENE: On his neck. Forget it. It’s not important.

VISUAL CALCULUS: Exactly. You’ve stood there for about four seconds, not saying anything. Hit them with questions—where’s the eighth Hardie?

TITUS HARDIE: “The Pretty Boy?” He takes a sip from his can. “You guys really love talking about that Pretty Boy…”

TITUS HARDIE: “Because we took it,” he says, “from the harbour where we work. Then we went out back and used it to *hang* him. We did this,” – he looks you dead in the eye – “together. All of us. Until he was dead. That’s why there’s a container belt around his neck.”

TITUS HARDIE: “How many people have you sent to the *chaise*? Ever felt remorse for them?”
ENCYCLOPEDIA: [Medium: Success] Chaise électrique is the method of capital punishment in Revachol under the Coalition. During the Suzerain’s reign it used to be the firing squad.

ELIZABETH: “Are you deaf? There will be no singling anyone out. You can’t arrest *a* Hardie boy without arresting *all* Hardie boys.” A shadow of a smirk passes her lips, as she tilts her head. “Do you think you could do that? Do you think you could arrest them all?”

ELIZABETH: “That’s for the courts in LE Jardin to decide, not for the officer making an arrest. Which we all know you won’t be.” She sounds almost helpful: “What you *can* do right now is go back to your station and write a *report*.”

ELIZABETH: “You don’t have to keep answering his questions,” the Fixer turns to remind Titus.

GLEN: “*Known* him?! We don’t associate with scum like that, rear end in a top hat!”
SHANKY: “Yeah, who do you think we are?”
TITUS HARDIE: “Quiet!” Titus gives Glen a stern look. “He came around ‘bout three weeks ago, when that *Pines* cow first sailed into town. Happy?”
KIM KITSURAGI: “By the ‘Pines cow’ you mean Joyce Messier, the representative for Wild Pines?” The lieutenant pretends to check his notes. “The same company you’re striking against?”
TITUS HARDIE: “No,” he stresses, “I mean *the Pines cow*. The stupid-rear end cow they sent in to gently caress us over. But you know what…” He rubs his chin, pretending to mull it over. “Why don’t you ask *her* about the Pretty Boy? I’m sure she has interesting things to say—when you ask her *hard* enough.”

TITUS HARDIE: “*And* he stepped out of line,” he repeats, jaw clamped shut like a vice.
KIM KITSURAGI: “What kind of mercenary?”
TITUS HARDIE: “The kind that shows up when you start a strike. The *experienced* kind, too. Had Li Shmin and Seminine written all over him—ex-Oranjese special forces.”
EUGENE: “A live grenade.” The man spreads his arms. “Right here in *our* bar!”
EMPATHY: [Medium: Success] This one has a special gripe with him coming here.

EUGENE: “Cause one night he walked straight up to the mic and said: I’m Oranjese goddamn Special Forces and I’m gonna gently caress you all.”
KIM KITSURAGI: “Really?”
EUGENE: “Yeah—really. Had a gin and tonic up there, sang some Oranjese paratrooper song, and said he’s gonna gently caress everyone.”
SHANKY: “We couldn’t believe it either. But he loving did. Right there,” he points at the stage, “like some kind of animal.”
DRAMA: [Medium: Success] Sire, the tale is true.

TITUS HARDIE: “Wrong?!” he roars. “He harassed women. Raped one. Harassed workers. Threatened to kill some as a *warning*…” He wipes spittle from his mouth--
RHETORIC: [Medium: Success] From rape—to harassment—to threats of violence—why the strange de-escalation?
EMPATHY: [Easy: Success] He regrets mentioning it, hopes you didn’t notice.
TITUS HARDIE: “…to kill us all if we don’t open the gates, if we don’t let the scabs in. If we don’t bend over.” He cracks his knuckles. “And that was *before* he started coming *here*.”
EUGENE: “Yeah, he said it was his ‘favourite joint’ now, started coming here every night! Drinking, grabbing girls—grabbed one of ours mid-karaoke. Right there on the stage!”
KIM KITSURAGI: “He grabbed someone?” The lieutenant is trying to make sense of this floodo of information.
EUGENE: “Yeah, this girl’s on the mic, a beautiful girl, young. Gets into the second verse of ‘Lover Lake’. The fucker grabs her legs, starts screaming…”

TITUS HARDIE: “Aren’t you loving listening? My man is talking to you. He took *care* of it. They got the girl out before anything else could happen.”
SHANKY: “Yeah, me and Eugene got her out. Aren’t you loving listening?!” he repeats like a parrot.
DRAMA: [Medium: Success] There’s something odd here.

Fiiiiiiiiiiine.

TITUS HARDIE: “We hanged him up by his neck until he got real still. Wasn’t that obvious, copper?”
SHANKY: “Didn’t they teach you *anything* at the cop school, idiot?”
AUTHORITY: [Medium: Success] You’re pretty sure you’ve had at least two years of *cop school* and many more of active service.
KIM KITSURAGI: “The autopsy showed there were no ligature marks. His hands were not tied. Can you explain that?”
REACTION SPEED: [Medium: Success] The lieutenant goes in for the leg sweep—Titus does not see it coming.
TITUS HARDIE: “Uh… we, huh…” He looks even more irritated that before. “Look, I’m not gonna play Twenty Questions with you, coppo. I’ll say it again: we killed him.”
ALAIN: “Yeah, *I* knocked him out.” The tattooed one speaks up, banging on his chest. “Came up behind him and clubbed him in the back of the head. He went down like a sack of sand.”
TITUS HARDIE: “That’s right, lawman.” He spits through his teeth. “And then we hanged the gently caress.”

ALAIN: “My loving elbow, copper.” He looks you straight in the eye. “Samaran boxing style.”
ENCYCLOPEDIA: [Medium: Success] Samaran boxing, or *Sam Bo*, is an eloquently violent set of one-on-one fighting moves originating from the Samaran isola. *Sam Bo style* implies stealth, cleverness, and cool.

ALAIN: “Right loving here.” He spreads his hands. “Eugene already told you that the gently caress had started coming to *our* bar…”

Let’s go for it.

Woohoo, double sixes!

ALAIN: Alain—who looks like he might be Titus’ right-hand man. The least antsy of the bunch; definitely not his first time being questioned by the police.
SHANKY: This little rat-faced fellow is solid, too. Always fidgety, yes—but no change there.

FAT ANGUS: “No.” He looks up, startled, his forehead shiny from sweat. A few coiled locks are peeking out from under his warm woolen hat.
SHANKY: “Of course he’s having trouble breathing—just look at how loving fat he is!” The man next to the big guy bursts out laughing.
TITUS HARDIE: “gently caress off, Shanky,” the big boss steps in. “Angus is a powerful guy. All muscle.”

TITUS HARDIE: “And gently caress you, too, copper—picking on Angus like this. We’re done with this schoolyard poo poo. And just so you know, he *doesn’t* have trouble breathing.”
EMPATHY: [Medium: Success] His ‘all muscle’ comment wasn’t sarcastic. He’s genuinely trying to look out for Angus.

TITUS HARDIE: “Huh?!” A sip of beer makes the surprise go down easier.
KIM KITSURAGI: “There was a bullet in the dead man’s brain,” The lieutenant checks his notes. “Why was it there, if you hanged him?”
TITUS HARDIE: “How the gently caress do I know? Anyone could have shot him. Target practice maybe?” Another sip. He’s tight-lipped suddenly.
DRAMA: [Medium: Success] Interesting, sire. It’s as if he’s lying—to *protect* someone. He’s not very good at it.

TITUS HARDIE: “Yeah, lawman.” He takes a step closer as well, fixing his ball cap. “Why *don’t* you?”
CONCEPTUALIZATION: [Medium: Success] It’s almost an anthropological sight: watching him try to assert dominance over you.
SHANKY: “Not in the *arresting mood*?” His mean little eyes come alive with hatred.
KIM KITSURAGI: By your side, the lieutenant keeps his hand away from his holster. You hear the nylon of his coat hiss as he steps closer.
ESPRIT DE CORPS: [Medium: Success] Easy. Walk back from the provocation. They’re armed, and they outnumber us. The lieutenant tries to establish eye contact with you.

TITUS HARDIE: “Look, coppers.” Titus opens up his vest, revealing a holstered firearm. “I know you think you’re doing your job here, but there are *seven* of us and two of you.”

TITUS HARDIE: “Am I gonna have to?” He tilts his head like a hawk, eyes narrowing to a mere shadow beneath his ball cap.

Okay, that was a pretty good line.

Well, that went poorly. Just take a breath and step back into the fray.

TITUS HARDIE: “What are you talkin’ about, madman? There’s no eighth Hardie boy. There’s seven of us and we’re all here.” He sizes you up. “Or what-- *you* want to be the eighth Hardie boy? We ain’t hiring!” He shakes his head.
GLEN: “Actually, boss, we’ve been talking and we think she could maybe…”
REACTION SPEED: [Easy: Success] *She*? So there is an eighth Hardie and it’s a Hardie girl? Who might it be, Elizabeth? The gardener?
TITUS HARDIE: “Shut the *gently caress* up Glen!” he roars. “I do the talking here! Now what the gently caress do you want, cop?”
KIM KITSURAGI: “So let me get this straight… there *is* an eighth Hardie boy, it’s a *she* and you don’t like us talking about her?”
TITUS HARDIE: “That’s right, we’re not talking about this. This is a private Hardie boys matter, nothing to do with your poo poo. *And*…” he points at Kim. “You’re not cops here. Don’t go digging around, if you don’t want a bullet in the back of your head. I’m watching you.”
KIM KITSURAGI: “Good—we’re all watching each other.” The lieutenant adjusts his spectacles. “Officer, your question?”

TITUS HARDIE: “You still on about that bullet?” He pats the back of his head. “A bullet in a hanged man’s head. You’re right, copper—that *is* mighty curious.”
KIM KITSURAGI: “Indeed. *Mighty*. How did it get there?” The lieutenant is fixed on Titus.
TITUS HARDIE: He gives you an indulgent look. “Well there are so many bullets in the world and so many heads…” He sighs deeply. “I guess it’s only logical—at some point one of them bullets had to end up in one of them heads…”
ALAIN: “It’s bound to happen again, you know.” He taps on his right temple. “Just statistically speaking, of course.”

SHANKY: “Wow.” The little man leans in to inspect the leaden blossom. “He’s got it in a real evidence bag and all…”

TITUS HARDIE: “You know what I think?” He raises his finger. “I think he was shot in the head as a kid. And his brain grew around the bullet.”
ALAIN: “Around the bullet, man…” Alain pinches the root of his nose. “That’s a good one.”
DRAMA: [Medium: Success] All the goofing around is to avoid lying. It’s a technique.

GLEN: “poo poo!” He throws his head back. “*I* probably did shoot him. I was drunk last night. You guys know me when I’m drunk…”
SHANKY: “Yeah, Glen likes to shoot his guns when he’s drunk.” The little guy looks you in the eye. “Better hope he stays sober.”

”Shanky” can’t get through a single line without threatening you. Keep your eyes on that one.

KIM KITSURAGI: “No, he meant *before* he was hanged. Did you shoot him *before* you hanged him?”

TITUS HARDIE: “Never been worried in my life, lawman.” He crosses his hairy arms, having forgotten his beer for a moment.

TITUS HARDIE: “Again? Just get the dead guy’s autograph—since you’re his biggest fan.”

Fuckin’ Shanky! What a tool!

ELIZABETH: “Nothing,” her reply comes sharp. “Your investigation here is done. Leave Martinaise, go back to your stations, where you belong.”
KIM KITSURAGI: “I think we’re going to stick around, thanks. Some things don’t add up here, Titus.” The lieutenant closes his notebook. “I’ve done this job for long enouhg to know that people don’t just confess to first-degree murder. *Even* if it is a group responsibility. We’re going to look into this.”

TITUS HARDIE: He leans in. “You got a problem with *beer* now?”

TITUS HARDIE: “You saying we don’t *help* people?” He puts his beer down. “I’ve been doing this job for *ten years*! Martinaise was a dump before we put this outfit together.”
EUGENE: “They don’t know, man—they weren’t here.” He turns to you. We had three shooting a week, kids dead, fuckin’ *graffito* everywhere—you cops haven’t shown up since the thirties.”
KIM KITSURAGI: “Congratulations on the graffito removal.” He turns to Titus. “All is see is you sitting around talking about *Monica’s titties* – while there’s a rape victim.”
TITUS HARDIE: “So what? What do you want from me? We took care of that gently caress.” He picks the beer back up.

ELIZABETH: “Titus...” He looks at her.
AUTHORITY: She stops mid-sentence. That’s it—you got him. He’s going to give it up, but on his terms.
TITUS HARDIE: “You wanna *help* her, cop? Fine, I’m gonna let you help her—hut you treat her with respect. If you don’t—if you *question* her, harass her…” Titus taps his chin with his fist. “…a freight train of pain, buddy.”
KIM KITSURAGI: The lieutenant takes out his notes. “What is her name?”

INLAND EMPIRE: [Trivial: Success] poo poo! The girl… the girl upstairs?! That can’t be her. She knows you drank so hard you forgot you were a cop…

KIM KITSURAGI: “Nothing.” He gives you a sideways glance. “We just have a *few* more questions—then we’ll be on our way.”

TITUS HARDIE: “Relationship?! There was no loving relationship! He raped her, that’s their relationship!”
SHANKY: “It was like that karaoke incident all over again. Or like some of the other girls he was harassing.”

TITUS HARDIE: “He did it before we killed him. He’s not gonna do it again.” He crushes his half-empty beer can. “So what does it matter?”
KIM KITSURAGI: “It would help if we establish a timeline.”
TITUS HARDIE: “Alright. Two weeks maybe? I don’t know… I need another beer.” He turns to Glen.

TITUS HARDIE: “I know her.” He looks around and an uncommon silence fills the room.
KIM KITSURAGI: “How well do you *know* her?”
PERCEPTION (SIGHT): [Medium: Success] A small twitch in the corner of Kim’s mouth. He has a hunch about what *knowing* means.
TITUS HARDIE: “Well enough, copper. We partied. She’s been here for a few months.” He crosses his arms.

TITUS HARDIE: “You mean Revachol? Nah. Our Miss Oranje Disco Dancer is an immigrant or a drifter of some sort. Been staying here over the winter.”
FAT ANGUS: “Don’t you give her any more trouble!” the fat guy blurts out. “She’s just had some bad luck, that’s all.”
GLEN: “Shut up, Angie!” He slaps his forehead. “She doesn’t need your help…”
TITUS HARDIE: Titus gives them both a look. They fall silent.

TITUS HARDIE: “No. We just hosed, that’s all,” he states matter-of-factly. “I’m not gonna give you any details if that’s what you’re after. So put your dick away.”
SUGGESTION: He really went out of his way to seem comfortable with this topic. That’s all you’re gonna get for now.

Kim has something to say to us.

KIM KITSURAGI: “The victim? Is there something I should know before we talk to her?”

I agree with Rhetoric, for the love of god, DON’T.

KIM KITSURAGI: “So she overheard you? Or did you *party* together?”

INLAND EMPIRE: What if you do—but you just don’t *remember* that you do?

KIM KITSURAGI: He nods. “We’ll be all right, officer. This is nothing.”

Kim believes in us :unsmith:

We might not head straight for the victim, though. We still have some other things to take care of today, especially considering Kim still hasn’t taken the body away. We’ll get to some of that next time.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Authority: Establish you're in charge.

"oh, you ARE the cops! you're ALSO sitting around doing jack poo poo when you could be helping people! greetings, fellow cops!"

thank you Authority

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Wow Authority actually came through. It's been telling us to do stupid self-centered poo poo all game but this was a big breakthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
The thing about authority is that it's.. well, authority. It, like all your skills, wants to be used and to be frank, there has not really been a point up until now where you've been in a situation where understanding a hierarchy and establishing your dominance in a situation has been anything like reasonable or possible.