Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

The worst thing about John Bohrer is that he claims one of the pseudonyms he used for games he designed is "Martin Wallace". As if there's no difference between making up fake personas and claiming the work of a real, well-known designer is actually his.

Not only that, he apparently claims that he did it with Wallace's knowledge and approval. That's beyond plagiarism and directly into defamation and libel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Jedit posted:

Not only that, he apparently claims that he did it with Wallace's knowledge and approval. That's beyond plagiarism and directly into defamation and libel.

Wallace and Bohrer reached a settlement over it, so it can't be that egregious

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
How big was the settlement?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The End posted:

Wallace and Bohrer reached a settlement over it, so it can't be that egregious

Bohrer posted the claim yesterday:

John Bohrer posted:

I have been asked by a friend to say a little about my pseudonyms. OK, here goes…

For my first few train games I used my own name. Then, the Train Gamer’s Association, headed by Heather Barnhorst and bankrolled by Mayfair Games, namely Darwin Bromley, worked to suppress my games, going so far as to create a RESTRICTED LIST with my games on them. Simply put, my games could not be played at TGA Tournaments.

Well, then, I started using my Martin Wallace pseudonym, right up through Age of Steam. Martin was happy about it, rave reviews in SUMO helped. He wanted to be a famous game designer, I did not care for any of that ilk.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Quackalope posted their second Oath PnP game. I like their style, really enjoyable to watch.

Here's the first one. They make some rules mistakes which they address in the second video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD8P9H3oTIA

And the second one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ruvok9pQdA

edit: This was meant to go in the TG Kickstarter thread, oh well

Ogdred Weary fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 23, 2020

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My brother and I have been having decent fun playing through the D&D Adventures Temple of Elemental Evil game, but we find ourselves wishing there was a little more depth and decision-making. We'll finish up the thirteen adventures in here for sure, but then we're on the hunt for something a bit more substantive. I'm pretty sure Gloomhaven is what we actually want to play - am I right?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Bardeh posted:

My brother and I have been having decent fun playing through the D&D Adventures Temple of Elemental Evil game, but we find ourselves wishing there was a little more depth and decision-making. We'll finish up the thirteen adventures in here for sure, but then we're on the hunt for something a bit more substantive. I'm pretty sure Gloomhaven is what we actually want to play - am I right?

This thread has been know to recommend Gloomhaven as a portable party game, so I think it is safe to say that of you want a more involved dungeon crawler to play long term with a fixed group, it is a sound choice.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Gloomhaven having "a little more depth" is definitely a tremendous understatement. It's absolutely what you are looking for.

If you play one mission a week on average, the base game with no expansion is 2 years of content.

Add in Forgotten Circles, Frosthaven, and replaying campaigns with different characters, and I'm pretty sure we all could play Gloomhaven until we die.

I haven't gotten burned out on it yet and I'm ~25 missions deep with a 4 player group over 6 months or so.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
What are the odds that Frosthaven is a refinement on Gloomhaven, the stuff that didn't make the cut for Gloomhaven or indulgent extra bells and whistles that add needless extra complexity to Gloomhaven?

Maybe a mix of all 3?

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

CaptainRightful posted:

The worst thing about John Bohrer is that he claims one of the pseudonyms he used for games he designed is "Martin Wallace". As if there's no difference between making up fake personas and claiming the work of a real, well-known designer is actually his.

His story is that Martin Wallace, at the time, wanted to be a famous game designer but couldn't hack it, so John Bohrer just made games under his name to get some design credits for Martin.

Kinda weird.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lord Of Texas posted:

Gloomhaven having "a little more depth" is definitely a tremendous understatement. It's absolutely what you are looking for.
I haven't gotten burned out on it yet and I'm ~25 missions deep with a 4 player group over 6 months or so.
We are about 45 sessions in, and same. I look forward to it every time we bring it to the table.

Redundant posted:

What are the odds that Frosthaven is a refinement on Gloomhaven, the stuff that didn't make the cut for Gloomhaven or indulgent extra bells and whistles that add needless extra complexity to Gloomhaven?

Maybe a mix of all 3?
So far, from the new class previews, it seems to be a mix of the first and third, with more emphasis on the first. They look solid, but also definitely fiddlier than the basic GH classes like Brute, Scoundrel, etc. It's definitely aiming for a more 'advanced' experience than the basic box, and it seems like improving your settlement and collecting resources will be a high-priority undertaking. I haven't seen much sign that the increased complexity will be 'needless' as opposed to 'giving experienced players some new buttons to press' but time, as always, will tell.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Redundant posted:

Maybe a mix of all 3?

It's going to be Gloomhaven but blue instead of brown.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

We are about 45 sessions in, and same. I look forward to it every time we bring it to the table.

So far, from the new class previews, it seems to be a mix of the first and third, with more emphasis on the first. They look solid, but also definitely fiddlier than the basic GH classes like Brute, Scoundrel, etc. It's definitely aiming for a more 'advanced' experience than the basic box, and it seems like improving your settlement and collecting resources will be a high-priority undertaking. I haven't seen much sign that the increased complexity will be 'needless' as opposed to 'giving experienced players some new buttons to press' but time, as always, will tell.

Gloomhaven with settlement building? Welp, time to make some more space in my collection.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, just wondering: Do any of you have ideas for a good solo-able game? Preferably it can also be played with at least one other person too, but I mostly want something that's not SUPER hard OR super long. So ideally something medium-difficulty that takes maybe ~45min to play. (Shorter is definitely welcome)

Now, I actually have Zombicide which I'll likely solo now and again in the near future, (forgot about its solo-ability until now, tbh) but sometimes games can take a long time, in that.
Legendary is also on my radar - but a friend has the Marval version and another has the Legendsry Encounters Predator version (plus the 'Encounters' ones seem to rely on multiple people cooperating more, from what I've seen? Compared to the original Legendary, which is purely multiple people competing against one another for the points. Could be wrong though.) so if I get that, I'd like to get a different theme, if there are any highly regarded variants of the game.

So yeah, if any of you have other ideas about some solid solo games I can play now and again (especially since I need to up my play count, as I'm recording plays this year and a friend mentioned the 365 challenge :D ) I would greatly appreciate it!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 23, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Spirit Island might be pushing it for time but once you're past the learning phase you should be able to do a solo game in 45 minutes.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Major Isoor posted:

Legendary is also on my radar - but a friend has the Marval version and another has the Legendsry Encounters Predator version (plus the 'Encounters' ones seem to rely on multiple people cooperating more, from what I've seen? Compared to the original Legendary, which is purely multiple people competing against one another for the points. Could be wrong though.) so if I get that, I'd like to get a different theme, if there are any highly regarded variants of the game.

While Legendary DOES have a points system, I don't know anyone that actually plays it as a competitive game rather than just straight up cooperative; it's an optional thing as far as I am aware.

My friends and I play the poo poo up out of it and it DOES have solo options, so it's a good solo game with some variety.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'll put in another vote for Spirit Island, but I don't know if you can do a game in 45 if you're including setup and teardown.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

Hey guys, just wondering: Do any of you have ideas for a good solo-able game? Preferably it can also be played with at least one other person too, but I mostly want something that's not SUPER hard OR super long. So ideally something medium-difficulty that takes maybe ~45min to play. (Shorter is definitely welcome)

Now, I actually have Zombicide which I'll likely solo now and again in the near future, (forgot about its solo-ability until now, tbh) but sometimes games can take a long time, in that.

So yeah, if any of you have other ideas about some solid solo games I can play now and again (especially since I need to up my play count, as I'm recording plays this year and a friend mentioned the 365 challenge :D ) I would greatly appreciate it!

Marvel Champions. It'll be hard to find anything other than the base game right now but it fits your description pretty well. I've been playing it solo a lot lately and the good thing is that you can adjust the difficulty based on whether you want to play a long or short game, whether you want to try out a new deck, etc. Plus, if your friends like Legendary, you'll be able to get it on the table with them regularly. Champions is really fun and I'd recommend it. Very little set-up time and it can be as easy/hard or short/long as you want it to be.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

If you're just looking to pad your numbers, Friday is cheap, quick, and pretty solid until you solve it.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

True solo Marvel Champions is very swingy. You can have a more even game by playing two decks at once which isn't as daunting as it sounds. Though I guess you can turn any game into a solo game by playing two players at once.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Straight White Shark posted:

Spirit Island might be pushing it for time but once you're past the learning phase you should be able to do a solo game in 45 minutes.

I can see 45 minutes if you're playing single-spirit/single-board, but I always play with two spirits or more (the superior experience I feel) and that is definitely much more than 45 minutes.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
One Deck Dungeon is a great game to play solo, but is also fun with 2. If you buy a second copy (or a copy of the standalone expansion) then you can play it up to 4. Plays in about 30-45 mins. Open a door to reveal a monster or trap, then roll dice and figure out where to use each die most effectively to kill the monster or disarm/move past the trap.

Lost Expedition is a fantastic solo game that plays well with 2 (don't recommend going higher than that, but it can play more). It's all about surviving a gauntlet of jungle hazards on your way to finding a lost city. Very thematic, with huge cards that have awesome art. Easy to learn and teach but still lots of hard decisions to make. Plays in about 45 mins. There is a Judge Dredd version of the game that plays very similarly but with completely new artwork/theme.

Space Hulk: Death Angel is a solid coop game that really shines as a solo game. It's got very unique gameplay with a column of cards representing your space marine terminators as they stomp single-file through narrow corridors and fight back against genestealer attacks. Out of print and relatively hard to find, but sometimes people put copies on ebay for a fair price.

I'd say One Deck Dungeon is the easiest of the three, but it still provides a challenge. Lost Expedition is hard, but there are alternate starting conditions that make it easier. Death Angel veers into "holy hell this game is hard wtf" territory. I think it takes longer to play as well, probably closer to 1 hour. Still lots of fun to play and lose, though.

Also +1 vote for Friday, it's a great little solo game that rewards repeat plays.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 23, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GrandpaPants posted:

I'll put in another vote for Spirit Island, but I don't know if you can do a game in 45 if you're including setup and teardown.

You absolutely can, although you'll probably have to resign yourself to not doing higher level adversaries other than Brandenburg-Prussia. Although if you're looking for mediumish difficulty you probably won't be looking at the highest difficulty levels anyhow.

Lord Of Texas posted:

I can see 45 minutes if you're playing single-spirit/single-board, but I always play with two spirits or more (the superior experience I feel) and that is definitely much more than 45 minutes.

True. I think single spirit solo still has a lot to offer, though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Sylvion is a neat little tower defense card game designed for solo play. It’s a bit of hand management and pseudo deck construction with some included expansions to up the difficulty. The art style is really charming too. It also has a 2 player coop that works well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Solo gaming has made gigantic leaps in the last couple of years. Before, a solo mode seemed optional. Now, no AAA board game is launching without one. I gave up on solo gaming many many years ago because there were very few choices, and now I'm addicted to video games (albeit euro-y ones) for my solo gaming. At some point I need to try some of these multiplayer games with solo modes but it's hard to get away from the instantaneous video games :).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bottom Liner posted:

Sylvion is a neat little tower defense card game designed for solo play. It’s a bit of hand management and pseudo deck construction with some included expansions to up the difficulty. The art style is really charming too. It also has a 2 player coop that works well.

You also need a lot of space. I was surprised how much room it took when I tested it out.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Solo gaming has made gigantic leaps in the last couple of years. Before, a solo mode seemed optional. Now, no AAA board game is launching without one. I gave up on solo gaming many many years ago because there were very few choices, and now I'm addicted to video games (albeit euro-y ones) for my solo gaming. At some point I need to try some of these multiplayer games with solo modes but it's hard to get away from the instantaneous video games :).

Yeah - there's a lot of good options for solo boardgaming now, but I go for them very rarely these days. It used to be board games were the only place to get solid mechanics and design. Now, boardgame-y video games (and direct boardgame ports) have really taken off. Compared to playing a board game solo, the video game just has too many advantages - AI, no setup, no upkeep, easy resumability, portability. Some also have human competition (at any hour of the day, from anywhere), if I'm in the mood for that.

The niche for boardgames for me now is all about playing socially at a table.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mayveena posted:

That's my biggest problem. Computer games taking care of handling all the rules fussing and all the setup/cleanup really makes bringing longer solo games to the table pretty hard to stomach. I used to play a lot of solo Mage Knight, Feast for Odin, etc. but I have a much harder time committing to that now when I've gone hard back into PC gaming. And, of course, there are the apps that make the game MUCH more palatable as a solo experience than in meatspace - Sentinels of the Multiverse being chief among them.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

No PC or phone game is as satisfying to me as a giant hex map spread out on a table for weeks on end that I can occasionally push some counters across.

That said, I rarely ever play a non-wargame solo these days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

a giant hex map spread out on a table for weeks on end that I can occasionally push some counters across.

That said, I rarely ever play a non-wargame solo these days.

Can I introduce you to my friends donkey and goose?

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
So that's where the fried geese and donkeys come from in FCM. Gotta respect Splotter's dedication to continuity.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
finally got feast for odin w/ expansion to the table last night. what a great central board makeover. nice redoing of all the action spaces. most spaces got a lot of play although most players shuffled off to a routine. i banked on raiding and bonus tiles from exploration islands and home shed. Did a couple of whaling forays and towards the last couple rounds emigrated my boats out. the inclusion of the single tile boat as emigration is a very nice addition

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 23, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sloober posted:

finally got feast for odin w/ expansion to the table last night. what a great central board makeover. nice redoing of all the action spaces. most spaces got a lot of play although most players shuffled off to a routine. i banked on raiding and bonus tiles from exploration islands and home shed. Did a couple of whaling forays and towards the last couple rounds emigrated my boats out. the inclusion of the single tile boat as emigration is a very nice addition

Norwegians is fantastic and I would say required. Can't wait for the next mini-expansion and the big one (with its super box to fit everything in!).

VVVV Jedit said a while back that apparently they're working on releasing a box that will fit everything in it so that you don't have to play tetris every time you put it away. I just can't wait for the design to be finished so organiser companies know what they're working with and can release a "complete" one and truly it will be a Feast... For Odin.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 23, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

the next mini-expansion and the big one (with its super box to fit everything in!).

whoa, whoa, what?

Also Roads & Boats hack: instead of dealing with baggies for each mine just use a d6 and evens are iron, odds are gold. Track capacity and production on the plastic sheet instead of fussing with chits and baggies. I just roll for each mine and mark I/G beside 1/2/3 etc. If you use tech or build another shaft you can note that as well.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

whoa, whoa, what?

Also Roads & Boats hack: instead of dealing with baggies for each mine just use a d6 and evens are iron, odds are gold. Track capacity and production on the plastic sheet instead of fussing with chits and baggies. I just roll for each mine and mark I/G beside 1/2/3 etc. If you use tech or build another shaft you can note that as well.

Your way has them spitting out each with a 50/50 ratio, when the actual ratio is modified based on the remaining contents of the mine. :gonk:

1 iron and 5 gold remaining has a different ratio to 3 and 3.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

good point, I'll just number the actual slots for i/g and put a d10/12 in as well. either way I wasn't about to deal with 18 baggies :colbert:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Norwegians is fantastic and I would say required. Can't wait for the next mini-expansion and the big one (with its super box to fit everything in!).

VVVV Jedit said a while back that apparently they're working on releasing a box that will fit everything in it so that you don't have to play tetris every time you put it away. I just can't wait for the design to be finished so organiser companies know what they're working with and can release a "complete" one and truly it will be a Feast... For Odin.

i actually got it to all fit in the base box, albeit it is sitting a tad high, but yes, i would love a nicer box built for it

and yeah now that i've played it i cant imagine going back to the basic setup

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

jmzero posted:

The niche for boardgames...now is all about playing socially at a table.

This is very astute.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The Bohrer stuff honestly makes me not want to buy things from Capstone, as I don't know if I can encourage someone to enable such a piece of work. Hey, how about we just have Bezier steal his games instead of ones from Oink? Then everyone wins.