Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

....downloading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Racing Stripe posted:

Okay, I might look into getting one of the Necromunda boxes. There's a $300 one (Dark Uprising, I think?) and a $100 one. Does that more expensive one really provide an extra $200 in value?

You could just grab the Necromunda Comprehensive Rulebook which is a fan compilation pdf which has everything.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
For a very light take on Mordheim et al, you can try this:
https://onepagerules.com/portfolio/age-of-fantasy-skirmish/

It even has campaign rules!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Gate posted:

Definitely breaking the standard naming convention to name all of my Tempestus titans after Culture ships, though. Machine's Decision is Final, indeed.

Heretic Says What
Give Me The Gun And Ask Me Again
What Are The Civilian Applications
I Brought Enough Plasma For Everyone
Death To Those Guys Over There
Xenos ? I Hardly Knew Her !

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Racing Stripe posted:

Okay, I might look into getting one of the Necromunda boxes. There's a $300 one (Dark Uprising, I think?) and a $100 one. Does that more expensive one really provide an extra $200 in value?

Here you go:

NM Underhive - $125 MSRP

This box was the first starter to be released. It's got a 10-strong Goliath and a 10-strong Escher gang. There are also dice, counters, cards, templates, door/barricade sprues, a rulebook, and Zone Mortalis board sections.

Breakdown:
You're going to need counters and templates for this game - you can buy 3rd party, but they are going to cost you
The gangs are going for $25 each on Ebay.
The door/barricade sprues go for about $20
The floor tiles go for about $25, and you cannot buy them separately (outside of Ebay)
The rulebook is outdated, and pretty much worthless (you could use it to learn, as the core rules are pretty much the same, but there have been updates)

NM Dark Uprising - $290 MSRP

The second starter to be released. It's got a 11-strong Palanite and 15-strong Corpse Grinder Cult gang. There are also dice, counters, cards, templates, a rulebook, a paper mat, and a lot of terrain sprues.

Breakdown:
Same as above re: counters
The gangs are going for around $50 each on Ebay at this point - this is likely to change as they go on pre-order this weekend
The rulebook is updated and has an exclusive campaign that is only available in this set (how much that's worth to you is your call)
Paper mat - meh
Terrain - you get a LOT of sprues, but, IMO, not a lot of coverage

Analysis
NM Underhive: If you can get the box for around $100 or under and you want to play either Goliath or Escher, I'd say it's a pretty decent value. You get the tiles you can't get anywhere else, and that's substantial, since you can play immediately and don't have to worry about filling a 3x3 or 4x4 table with terrain. If you don't want the gangs, you might be able to pawn them off to other players in your group, still making this a good value.

NM Dark Uprising: Here's where I make the unpopular call - I don't think it's worth it, IMO. The terrain, while incredible looking, doesn't give enough coverage (IMO you'd need at least two sets) so you're looking at $290 for the NM:DU box and $185 for the upcoming NM: Hive Warzone in order to cover a decent-sized space. MDF bulkheads are far less expensive and cover far more area - granted, they don't look as pretty, but the majority of us have a limited hobby budget and can't spend $500 on what we hope is enough terrain for a game.

Final Thoughts:
Core sets notwithstanding, there are other considerations - there is a separate core rulebook, a gang book, and a couple of expansion books (not required to play the game though.) There is an unofficial collection of all of the rulebooks (which is actually legible and fairly well edited) floating around the Internet, but its not the easiest thing to get a hold of, and GW has shut it down before.

My recommendation is this - if you're just starting out, buy the original Underhive core box. It's got everything you and a friend will need to play NM. Once you get the basics down, maybe spring for the core rules and Gangs if the Underhive book (or the PDF if you can find it.) If it blows up in your group, and you're super into both gangs and the terrain and have money to spend, then look at NM:DU.

Hope that helps.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

berzerkmonkey posted:

NM Dark Uprising: Here's where I make the unpopular call - I don't think it's worth it, IMO.

I think once that got out in the wild and people saw what they are getting, that was a pretty common response. You don't see much push on it because people that bought it don't want to be reminded how much they spent on it.

It doesn't help that the gangs that came with it are rather divisive as well.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Robert Facepalmer posted:

I think once that got out in the wild and people saw what they are getting, that was a pretty common response. You don't see much push on it because people that bought it don't want to be reminded how much they spent on it.

It doesn't help that the gangs that came with it are rather divisive as well.

Respectfully disagree, I think it's a great yet expensive set and people have convinced themselves it's not worth it cause most cannot afford it. Here's mine.

https://yaktribe.games/community/media/opposite.43111/full

Link in case I break the tables.

It lacks the tubes but I placed a container and some boxes I had around.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I think both sets have their merits, but both obviously include some stuff you may not want, notably the rules are outdated (in NMU) or a partially incomplete/partially expanded set of core rules (in DU).

The great advantage of the original box set, which I got a copy of (sans gangers) when it came out, is you can just play Necromunda out of it. It's portable and easy. The DU set, you can also do so although assembly is extensive and a 2x2 board is imo too small for the majority of scenarios with full size gangs (typically 10 models a side).

I think the DU terrain package is good and dense for a 2x2 but a bit sparse for a 3x3 which is my preferred size for necromunda. I think that is acceptable given that most serious enthusiasts will have some use able other scatter terrain already or will be keen to acquire some to add variety. Example, I have 12 Munitorum Containers (40k shipping containers) and a haemotrope reactor. With those added, plus scatter, I'd say one of the new terrain sets will fill a 3x3 nicely.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

mllaneza posted:

Heretic Says What
Give Me The Gun And Ask Me Again
What Are The Civilian Applications
I Brought Enough Plasma For Everyone
Death To Those Guys Over There
Xenos ? I Hardly Knew Her !

These are all great!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Notably, the cops are already out. What's coming out now is a pig upgrade set and the chaos cult.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Depending on where the ZM battle zone MSRP ends up (and what terrain you already own,) the $300 box is a variably good deal for what you get. I picked one up because I had an excess of both FOMO and store credit.

While I don't regret the purchase, I can't recommend it for everyone.

What I would recommend for everyone is the fan-curated comprehensive rulebook, some templates of eBay, a gang and dice, and MDF or recycle-bin terrain.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

moths posted:

Depending on where the ZM battle zone MSRP ends up (and what terrain you already own,) the $300 box is a variably good deal for what you get. I picked one up because I had an excess of both FOMO and store credit.

While I don't regret the purchase, I can't recommend it for everyone.

What I would recommend for everyone is the fan-curated comprehensive rulebook, some templates of eBay, a gang and dice, and MDF or recycle-bin terrain.

I do know that the Hive Zone set (which appears to be all the terrain from DU except for the 'Necromunda barricades' sprue is £110. It seems a better value than either the separate walls/doors or steps/walkways sets.

Yeah, Necromunda can be very economical to play. It is well adapted to print-pattern mats provided they have sufficient obstacles drawn on. The comprehensive rulebook online is far better than the official ones as a reference. Templates can be homemade, or the old Warhammer 40k ones are very common and are the same. Even the special dice can be proxied by regular d6s: firepower dice is 1-ammo check, 2-3 normal, 4-5 is 2 hits, 6 is 3 hits. Injury, 1-2 are flesh wound, 3-5 are seriously injured, 6 is OOA.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

Even the special dice can be proxied by regular d6s: firepower dice is 1-ammo check, 2-3 normal, 4-5 is 2 hits, 6 is 3 hits. Injury, 1-2 are flesh wound, 3-5 are seriously injured, 6 is OOA.

I don't know how I missed this, but the firepower die is just the old sustained fire / jam die but prettier. Anyone who played 2e 40k probably has a few they'd be willing to spare.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Here you go:

Lots of info

Hope that helps.

Yes, that's very helpful. Thanks! You and a few others have referred to "MDF" terrain. What is that?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Racing Stripe posted:

Yes, that's very helpful. Thanks! You and a few others have referred to "MDF" terrain. What is that?

That's medium-density fiberboard. Many companies make terrain that's laser-cut from the material, with varying levels of complexity in the kits. MDF usually comes in flat-packed "sprues" that you punch out and assemble with wood glue or PVA.
Death Ray Designs is one company that produces this type of terrain (including a kit that pretty much covers everything you'd need for Necromunda Underhive), but there are other companies like TTCombat, 4Ground, and Sarissa, each with their own advantages, disadvantages, and price points.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Speaking of, TTCombat’s white box offer is still running but ends on the 26th. Pretty sizable bundles and good quality stuff. You can get a crap ton of zone mortalis stuff for £70. https://ttcombat.com/collections/white-box-bundles

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Unfortunatelly, mdf looks like mdf.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JcDent posted:

Unfortunatelly, mdf looks like mdf.

Looks pretty good to me when painted :shrug:

https://community.ttcombat.com/2019/12/23/year-end-motivation-part-1/#more-3636

moths
Aug 25, 2004

MDF looks infinitely better if you use filler on the seams and add some textures.

It also helps if the kit is designed well. A lot of MDF terrain looks like a bad N64 polygon level, but good MDF looks great.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

Looks pretty good to me when painted :shrug:

I think this is the important part of MDF. If you only ever look at pictures on the store website of the kits unpainted, yeah, it kinda just looks like piles of cardboard. But I think you could say that about GW terrain or scratch made stuff too.

I think some of that is on manufacturers for just posting pictures of assembled, unpainted kits.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

moths posted:

MDF looks infinitely better if you use filler on the seams and add some textures.

It also helps if the kit is designed well. A lot of MDF terrain looks like a bad N64 polygon level, but good MDF looks great.

This is absolutely true, and is proven by Ilor in the Terrain making thread.

Ilor posted:

Assembled:

Ilor posted:

The (almost finished) stairway for the Sicilian farmhouse:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, that's the thing: you can't just paint it, you have to go in with some preparation to un-mdf it.

I have a secret santa kit from years prior that I haven't finished partially because I'm scared of having to paint it.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Dark Uprising is stellar if either you want both the gangs or want to offload them for £25-30 each (inc cards).
I sell DU for £140. One of my customers got a second box and sold both gangs for £30, meaning they had all that terrain for £80.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Gate posted:

These are all great!

Thanks ! Two of them are actual Culture ships from the books. They just fit too well not to include.

#s 2 and 3

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Counterpoint to "MDF looks like MDF." Yeah, it isn't loaded with fiddly details like plastic, but if you take the time to do a decent job painting it, even with simple techniques, it's going to look amazing. Case in point, Crab-stuffed Mushroom's incredible MDF NM terrain, which is just spray painted, and sponged weathering.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

mllaneza posted:

Thanks ! Two of them are actual Culture ships from the books. They just fit too well not to include.

#s 2 and 3

Yeah I've been looking at that and the @CultureShipName Twitter account for ideas.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

berzerkmonkey posted:

Counterpoint to "MDF looks like MDF." Yeah, it isn't loaded with fiddly details like plastic, but if you take the time to do a decent job painting it, even with simple techniques, it's going to look amazing. Case in point, Crab-stuffed Mushroom's incredible MDF NM terrain, which is just spray painted, and sponged weathering.

I saw these on Insta and loved them, this guide is like Christmas again.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Me, Ghazk and Olloth ran an epic armageddon Istvaan V scenario at LVO today. A huge loyalist force had to live as long as possible- whenever traitor units were destroyed or broken they could come in off reserves as an activation the subsequent round. It ended up being pretty epic.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My Solaria babies changed the course of history. :911:

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I am just setting up the territories and campaign rules for our new Necromunda Campaign, which is going to be Law & Misrule and which we want to have go fairly by the book (in order to make things simple for new players). Holy poo poo, rackets are a lot more powerful than territories. There's some stuff in here which is absolutely bonkers. Re-rolling priority. Gaining free Combat skills on a leader/champ. Two separate ones give you re-rolls to all failed ammo checks. Loads of them give D6x10 income, 2D6x10 if a 'linked' racket is controlled. At least a couple give you 2D6x10 to start! Absolutely nuts. I already thought that gangs shot up in rating fairly quickly in Necromunda.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Me, Ghazk and Olloth ran an epic armageddon Istvaan V scenario at LVO today. A huge loyalist force had to live as long as possible- whenever traitor units were destroyed or broken they could come in off reserves as an activation the subsequent round. It ended up being pretty epic.

Mayhaps you have an imgur album with those?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Warmaster related because Vampire Count armies go for a fortune- Cromarty Forge, who ran a very successful 10mm rat men kickstarter, have launched another one but this time the owner has units that can be used in a re-imagined Warmaster Vampire Count list as undead vikings. It looks pretty great and fulfillment last time was super fast.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1680063643/cromarty-forge-10mm-vampire-vikings?ref=26rzd3

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone have any alternate rules for playing Necromunda? We tried playing and after failing to have any fun we figured we would watch a few videos on other people playing.

What a slog! Just waaaaaaay too much crunch for my group.

So yeah, any alternative play styles to the game?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Pastry Mistakes posted:

Anyone have any alternate rules for playing Necromunda? We tried playing and after failing to have any fun we figured we would watch a few videos on other people playing.

What a slog! Just waaaaaaay too much crunch for my group.

So yeah, any alternative play styles to the game?

Sorry, was it the in-game play or the campaign rules which you struggled with? If the latter, you could always play what are essentially a series of skirmish games, perhaps with one person who directs the narrative and hands out missions/describes scenarios/alters the terrain setup. If the former, I really don't know what to tell you, it doesn't seem too crunchy a game system.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

It was the former.
I guess crunch isn't the way to put it, I mean combat was quick and the character by character play was fast and easy, but the back and forth with the modifiers was a bit much. And for a world with so much lore and characterization it really seemed to lack any personality during the game play.

This is the video we watched to see how everything works turn by turn:
https://youtu.be/kxeuCrrZCpc

Maybe that video wasn't the best choice.

Either way I definitely plan on using the terrain and models for DnD, Dark Heresy, and Wrath and Glory when it's re-released so there's no real loss here purchase wise.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
When skills and weird equipment get added Necro gets a lot more interesting. That sense of "your guys" really kicks in.

That said, Frostgrave is a far lighter fantasy-themed version of the same thing from Osprey.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Or, just Warcry for the fantasy option?

(God I wish Necromunda played as slickly at it does, despite the randomness.)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

One Page Rules' Grimdark Firefights has rules for Necromunda gangs!
https://onepagerules.com/portfolio/grimdark-future-firefight/

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

JcDent posted:

One Page Rules' Grimdark Firefights has rules for Necromunda gangs!
https://onepagerules.com/portfolio/grimdark-future-firefight/

That's pretty cool. How does the gameplay stack up against normal Necro/40k? I'd rather carry around a 5 page printed pdf than 4 rulebooks, if the play is passably similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

thocan posted:

That's pretty cool. How does the gameplay stack up against normal Necro/40k? I'd rather carry around a 5 page printed pdf than 4 rulebooks, if the play is passably similar.

It's a lot lighter in most if not all aspects. Campaign rules come separately, dunno how long they are.