Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Have you contacted them? They are very responsive. I had a bag that i had some issues with and they had no problems replacing it.

Yeah, I did a volley back and forth with them on it, ended up returning both ones they sent out. I’m not saying it was a “oh it is slightly misaligned”, it was straight up not in the correct spot, even after double checking it was the right model and what not. A+ customer service, but just not my speed for a case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yo does anybody use a Bluetooth speakerphone in their car, like the kind that clips on the sun visor? My old Jabra worked with an iPhone 7+, and Android 10, so not sure why it doesn't work with an 11 pro. It just disconnects and reconnects randomly. Same thing happens with a no-name "Nugalaxy" I bought off Amazon. Like no actual brand name actually makes these things anymore.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just had a bizarre issue where my iPhone would say it was connected to WiFi networks in the settings but the WiFi icon would not show up and would use cellular data. At the same time, I couldn’t connect to WhatsApp. Tried all the usual refreshing/ disconnecting from WiFi networks, closing apps, and restarting the phone.

Went to bed, woke up and still didn’t have access to WiFi or WhatsApp. They both now just started working and all the messages sent to me on WhatsApp over the last 12 hours got pushed through to me.

Anyone else had something similar?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Sounds like typical iOS 13 flakiness. I had the same thing a few times but restarting the phone always resolved it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there a way to share an iCloud folder with my WIFE? Google says it was removed...

Weedle
May 31, 2006

kri kri posted:

Is there a way to share an iCloud folder with my WIFE? Google says it was removed...

It's listed on Apple's website as "coming this spring." Makes sense. It's a really hard problem that definitely wasn't solved years ago by every other cloud storage provider.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Had a lovely bug today. Was looking at a potential house to buy, went to go call my wife and... no bar to swipe at the bottom of the screen. Ended up having to reboot the phone. :shrug:

House likely has a bad foundation that they conveniently didn't mention so it didn't matter anyway.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Weird question. My mom needs a printer. We thought about buying a chromebook and a printer because she likes her mother in law's. Then she realized she still has her old iPad from like 2013. What do I look for when buying a printer that'd connect to it? Is it too old for this?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Weird question. My mom needs a printer. We thought about buying a chromebook and a printer because she likes her mother in law's. Then she realized she still has her old iPad from like 2013. What do I look for when buying a printer that'd connect to it? Is it too old for this?

Just buy something with built-in AirPrint support and it’ll be great.

If she doesn’t need color, I’d get a laser for the lower maintenance.

Quick glance example https://www.officedepot.com/a/produ...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So it should be an iPad 4 which has iOS10 on it which does have the airprint ability. So in theory a wifi printer should do it.

Edit: What the dude above me said.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Even if she needs color get a laser.

The only exception is for printing a LOT of photos where you want a bottle-based inkjet. Never ever get a cartridge-based inkjet for printing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Thanks guys. I never printed on my old iPhone so I never paid attention to when AirPrint happened

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I hate that when you click an email from a mail notification, it doesn’t go straight to the message. It just goes to your list of inboxes (and locks up briefly to boot!).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

illcendiary posted:

I hate that when you click an email from a mail notification, it doesn’t go straight to the message. It just goes to your list of inboxes (and locks up briefly to boot!).

Outlook does this and it pisses me off to no end. It makes no drat sense.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

illcendiary posted:

Spark does not do this. It opens to the email. Just an alternative.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Has anyone else dealt with spontaneous iPhone restarts? I'm on an 11 Max pro with the latest iOS13 installed. I already reformatted my phone and didnt go to a back up but instead started fresh as I suspected the backup could have kept whatever issue this is going forward. Phone worked fine for a day or so, but then it went back to restarting on its own at random. I could just been innocuously using the chat app and it'll restart out of nowhere. I can't replicate this issue at will, even if I try and just jump from app to app, take screen shots and have music playing in the background with bluetooth and wifi going all at once. so it's tough to demonstrate or even grasp what could be causing it. Maybe someone else has an idea?

The phone is also the 256GB model.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Take it to the apple store, if possible.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

astral posted:

Take it to the apple store, if possible.

dang. was hoping it wasn't gunna come to that, but I'll make an appointment for this weekend.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Weird problem and I think I vaguely remember people talking about it awhile ago, but here we go.

I got my mom an iPhone from Ebay which turned out to be a massive mistake. When I got the phone for her, it worked fine, but then a day or so later, it was blacklisted, etc etc. In any case, she was able to sign up and login to her Apple ID, pair it with her phone number, and keep it moving. Now, normally, when you do this, it makes it so all iPhone/macOS messages sent to that number are sent as iMessages.

However, we had to switch her back to her old phone (Android) for the time being and now when I send her a message via Messages on macOS or iOS, it sends it as an iMessage. I still get the texts she sends as texts, but outgoing is still iMessage. Essentially, her number is still tied to being on an AppleID/iMessage-capable device. And because of that, she doesn't receive them on the Android phone she went back to using.

There is seemingly no way to make it so I can change this manually, but I have to either disable iMessage entirely for myself so that the message will "fail" and ask me to send it as a text - but there's no way to send it as a text via right click or long tap or anything beforehand. Am I missing something? Does she just have to suffer until the new phone gets here? It's not really a problem for me specifically, but I imagine all of the other people she texts with iPhones will be having the same issue and she'd be missing out on any messages they may be sending.

e: Found this here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

But doing the bottom part gives this error.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 24, 2020

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

Weird problem and I think I vaguely remember people talking about it awhile ago, but here we go.

I got my mom an iPhone from Ebay which turned out to be a massive mistake. When I got the phone for her, it worked fine, but then a day or so later, it was blacklisted, etc etc. In any case, she was able to sign up and login to her Apple ID, pair it with her phone number, and keep it moving. Now, normally, when you do this, it makes it so all iPhone/macOS messages sent to that number are sent as iMessages.

However, we had to switch her back to her old phone (Android) for the time being and now when I send her a message via Messages on macOS or iOS, it sends it as an iMessage. I still get the texts she sends as texts, but outgoing is still iMessage. Essentially, her number is still tied to being on an AppleID/iMessage-capable device. And because of that, she doesn't receive them on the Android phone she went back to using.

There is seemingly no way to make it so I can change this manually, but I have to either disable iMessage entirely for myself so that the message will "fail" and ask me to send it as a text - but there's no way to send it as a text via right click or long tap or anything beforehand. Am I missing something? Does she just have to suffer until the new phone gets here? It's not really a problem for me specifically, but I imagine all of the other people she texts with iPhones will be having the same issue and she'd be missing out on any messages they may be sending.

e: Found this here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

But doing the bottom part gives this error.

Try having her text “stop” to 483-69 to deenroll from iMessage. Old code from when it was first an issue turning off iMessage, so mileage may vary.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

XBenedict posted:

Spark is dope, I just wish I could Archive messages from the notification preview overlay instead of just Quick Reply/Delete/Mark As Read.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Yeah the gmail app opens right into the email. Outlook is the only one that doesn't.

As a matter of fact I think Outlook is the only app that does this. Everything else opens into what you wanted to see.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Try having her text “stop” to 483-69 to deenroll from iMessage. Old code from when it was first an issue turning off iMessage, so mileage may vary.

Looks like that may have worked! It says "iMessage" in the little text box for me, but it's being sent as a text now. So all's good. Thanks for this - it's an invaluable tip.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

LODGE NORTH posted:

Looks like that may have worked! It says "iMessage" in the little text box for me, but it's being sent as a text now. So all's good. Thanks for this - it's an invaluable tip.

Is it possible you were attempting to send to their email address associated with iMessage perhaps?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
God drat it, I wish the inbuilt grammar correction would go the gently caress away. Stop loving changing the words I use! :argh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I love that it somehow decided I want to say “id” far more often than “I’d”

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

XBenedict posted:

Spark would always open into a blank screen from a notifcation for me - had to back out to the thread list and then select the message to actually see it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fallom posted:

I love that it somehow decided I want to say “id” far more often than “I’d”

Frank's "Chilling and Lime" sauce :fuckoff:

It corrected chili after I'd manually typed it in, too!

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 24, 2020

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Frank's "Chilling and Lime" sauce :fuckoff:

It corrected chili after I'd manually typed it in, too!

I assume Chilling and Lime is a U2 song or some dumb poo poo

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Fed up with my (barely a year old in terms of use) iPhone SE's worsening battery drain issues. Despite "healthy" 98% capacity (& no 'peak performance' freakouts, yet) it's able at times to lose, no exaggeration, 10% of battery in 1 minute - lately even on apps I don't expect to incur rapid power draw, like Messages.

Went for a 20min walk the other day playing Pokemon & it went from 78% to 20% :argh:

This is my 2nd SE w/ this problem, so I'm looking at an 8 or an 11 Pro despite new phones being too big for my hands. Ideally I'd wait for the rumored 8-sized SE2 but I'll be traveling a lot Feb-Apr; I'd rather get used to a new size now than babysit this battery (or permanently mate it to an external) while relying on it for navigation etc.

:words: aside, my actual questions:
  • Would a new battery help with this issue? Feels like 'no' given its claimed health status, but.
  • What awesome/awful things should I look out for on an upgrade - what did you wish you knew beforehand? What did you not realize you could do afterwards, until someone pointed it out? Etc.
  • PopSockets look like they'd snag easily when taking a phone in/out of pants pockets - y/n?
  • I've heard that the 8 is top-heavy & combined w/ the slippery curved sides, it's real easy to drop/fumble; is this true, and if so has the X form factor mitigated it any?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

bitprophet posted:

Fed up with my (barely a year old in terms of use) iPhone SE's worsening battery drain issues. Despite "healthy" 98% capacity (& no 'peak performance' freakouts, yet) it's able at times to lose, no exaggeration, 10% of battery in 1 minute - lately even on apps I don't expect to incur rapid power draw, like Messages.

Went for a 20min walk the other day playing Pokemon & it went from 78% to 20% :argh:

This is my 2nd SE w/ this problem, so I'm looking at an 8 or an 11 Pro despite new phones being too big for my hands. Ideally I'd wait for the rumored 8-sized SE2 but I'll be traveling a lot Feb-Apr; I'd rather get used to a new size now than babysit this battery (or permanently mate it to an external) while relying on it for navigation etc.

• Would a new battery help with this issue? Feels like 'no' given its claimed health status, but.
  • What awesome/awful things should I look out for on an upgrade - what did you wish you knew beforehand? What did you not realize you could do afterwards, until someone pointed it out? Etc.
  • PopSockets look like they'd snag easily when taking a phone in/out of pants pockets - y/n?
  • I've heard that the 8 is top-heavy & combined w/ the slippery curved sides, it's real easy to drop/fumble; is this true, and if so has the X form factor mitigated it any?

I doubt a battery would help if it's showing 98%...

PopSockets can get snagged, but omfg they make using a large phone so much more secure and easier. There is a otter box case with the pop socket recessed now, but it's expensive and thicccc.

I think the X/Xs/11 pro form factor is more comfortable than the 8 personally.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Is there a way to disable the "embedded" safari feature, where when you open a link in other apps it has the "embedded" instance of swapping over to the full safari app?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Is there a way to disable the "embedded" safari feature, where when you open a link in other apps it has the "embedded" instance of swapping over to the full safari app?

That's up to the app from which you're opening the link. Some of them give you a choice in the app settings between regular Safari and in-app Safari. Reddit and Awful do this, for example.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

bitprophet posted:

I have the same battery issues on my SE and it has less than a 1 year old battery. iOS13 gave it battery cancer.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Same problems with the SE lately.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Problem is the SE is an old phone and even if it's had the battery replaced recently the replacement was probably sitting on a shelf somewhere for years.

As for the battery health percentage in iOS I wouldn't rely on it too much - it can say one thing but the phone will behave in a totally different way.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Two of my family members have the SE and they both have the same issue.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah this isn't old lithium cells or normal behavior, and I've not noticed it being aggressive like this before 13.3.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I had rapid-drain issues on iOS 12, but 13 has absolutely made it far worse and is why I'm in this fix now. Kinda wish I hadn't upgraded. (Counterpoint: telemarketers now gently caress off directly to voicemail...it's so nice...)

ddogflex posted:

I think the X/Xs/11 pro form factor is more comfortable than the 8 personally.
Can you elaborate on this any? Just curious. I'll be trying both in-store this weekend.

dissss posted:

Problem is the SE is an old phone and even if it's had the battery replaced recently the replacement was probably sitting on a shelf somewhere for years.
This factor is also why I'm not bothering trying to dig up Yet Another New SE or get a new battery, I'd rather tear off the "waah new phones too big" band-aid now than spend another $100-200 on something that's likely to only last a few months before I'm back to square one.

Probably going to suck it up and get an 11 Pro, despite the absolutely ridiculous pricetag. I just bought an entire not-cheap PC laptop for very close to what an 11 Pro + AppleCare costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bitprophet posted:

I had rapid-drain issues on iOS 12, but 13 has absolutely made it far worse and is why I'm in this fix now. Kinda wish I hadn't upgraded. (Counterpoint: telemarketers now gently caress off directly to voicemail...it's so nice...)

Can you elaborate on this any? Just curious. I'll be trying both in-store this weekend.

This factor is also why I'm not bothering trying to dig up Yet Another New SE or get a new battery, I'd rather tear off the "waah new phones too big" band-aid now than spend another $100-200 on something that's likely to only last a few months before I'm back to square one.

Probably going to suck it up and get an 11 Pro, despite the absolutely ridiculous pricetag. I just bought an entire not-cheap PC laptop for very close to what an 11 Pro + AppleCare costs.

You can get a refurb X (same size) for $400 less than an 11 Pro: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FQA52LL/A/Refurbished-iPhone-X-64GB-Space-Gray