Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Where is that economist posting about idiots like Ghostyy making a gamble for status?

Found it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Ghostty if I'm still posting in my retirement then I've already won. If Bitcoin and monero were really going to become the norm, then retirement would never occur for anyone, since a person who does not contribute societal value (such as running their PC 24/7) does not deserve to have access to Real Money

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
man that cryptowaifu is the most superfluous thing I've ever seen. Crypto users are already getting hosed constantly

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

mmj posted:

man that cryptowaifu is the most superfluous thing I've ever seen. Crypto users are already getting hosed constantly

shes actually very pretty, and real, and my girlfriend

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Play posted:

shes actually very pretty, and real, and my girlfriend

you too!?

but i thought the key was private... :(

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

"After the world collapses I'll be fine because I did XYZ and you'll all be sorry you didn't listen to me!" continues to be the saddest fantasy. Not only because it will never happen and even if it did you wouldn't actually want it, but because it's essentially an admission that you've given up on being happy and fitting in to the present world.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Goodpancakes posted:

Where is that economist posting about idiots like Ghostyy making a gamble for status?
This is probably in the top 5 smartest things an economist has ever said.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

is pepsi ok posted:

"After the world collapses I'll be fine because I did XYZ and you'll all be sorry you didn't listen to me!" continues to be the saddest fantasy. Not only because it will never happen and even if it did you wouldn't actually want it, but because it's essentially an admission that you've given up on being happy and fitting in to the present world.
Normie spotted. Who would want to fit into the present hellscape we call a world?

Serious post: To me it's understandable that so many choose to engage in fantasy, when most of them have been beaten down and made to feel less-than for their entire lives. It's a decent psychological survival strategy, as much as it is an awful investment strategy.

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"
-Jiddu Krishnamurti

Crypto Cobain fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 23, 2020

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Khorne posted:

This is probably in the top 5 smartest things a capitalist economist has ever said.
FTFY. Marxist economists exist.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

:shobon::coffee:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
seed Ur own butt

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

seed Ur own butt

way ahead of you

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nessus posted:

Personally, when I construct fantasy visions of my own total vindication and the humiliation of my enemies, I do it the old fashioned way - with religion!

Goodpancakes posted:

Found it:

excellent one-two combo

people used to just sit around and imagine how sweet it would be when they were in heaven looking down at everyone they hated get raped by fiery demon cock. because of course they were good & virtuous and all the other assholes were gonna be sent to hell.

now they have to come up with apocalyptic scenarios to imagine a world that's been turned upside down hard enough that they're on top, and buy bitcoins / gold / guns to keep the fantasy real.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Klyith posted:

now they have to come up with apocalyptic scenarios to imagine a world that's been turned upside down hard enough that they're on top, and buy bitcoins / gold / guns to keep the fantasy real.
"it is easier to imagine an end to the world than an end to capitalism"
*sniff*

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mmj posted:

she also doesn't look very enthused about monero or her mascot job

monero: for guys who can't even make eye contact with their anime waifu

Fleetwood Crack posted:

"it is easier to imagine an end to the world than an end to capitalism"
*sniff*

marxists should come up with some more plausible fantasies I guess

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Bitcoin: honest seed > costly pin

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have only seen incels use this word this way. Although, now that I think about it, I guess the Venn diagram of buttcoiners and incels probably has a lot of overlap.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have only seen incels use this word this way. Although, now that I think about it, I guess the Venn diagram of buttcoiners and incels probably has a lot of overlap.
it forms... a butt

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

it forms... a butt

:aaaaa:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shumagorath posted:

it forms... a butt

if it did they would gently caress it, instead of being hosed by it.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if you think any of the bubbles are actually over in anything speculative investment based.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Don't bring Mark into this. Mark did nothing wrong.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

To help anyone wanting to google it, the correct terminology for bank accounts etc. being closed after a period of inactivity and the money being held in trust by goverment in case of a claim is dormancy.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/dormant-account.asp

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Klyith posted:

When you really read into the diatribes that a lot of the cryptocurrency enthusiasts keep repeating about the centralized banking system controlling fiat currency, buried within the claim that they want a more fair libertarian economic system is actually an aching belief that they are in on the ground floor of being the new global elites.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

They don't really hide it, half the conversations in various crypto forums ends up being fanfic about being that new global elite while Beth from high school who turned him down for the prom is sucking him off for a few satoshis to feed herself.

The buttcoin experiment was originally a libertarian screed so the toxic selfishness bubbles out from the artificial turf of philanthropy like discount developers trying to build on a Superfund site.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

kw0134 posted:

being that new global elite while Beth from high school who turned him down for the prom is sucking him off for a few satoshis to feed herself.
You make that sound pretty good actually, I might look into getting some cryptocurrencies now

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

that's a lot of debt

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You make that sound pretty good actually, I might look into getting some cryptocurrencies now
If you need wank material there's a lot out there that doesn't immediately put you on watch lists

Fried Watermelon posted:

that's a lot of debt
ghostty here to drop meaningless charts into the thread like he's making any statement besides he's a moron

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

kw0134 posted:

ghostty here to drop meaningless charts into the thread like he's making any statement besides he's a moron

From what they have posted it looks like griftocurrency is basically an inefficient and unintentional gold sink.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_sink

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
So who is using DeFi in a big way in their operations besides money launderers, and, those who cannot take on debt in USD due to United States OFAC sanctions?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RE: 50 foot block chain

I had no idea that Mondex was a thing. I thought it was just Octopus. You probably couldn't get something like that started as you can use things like Pay Wave. Octopus time period, location and RFID tech was very fortunate for MTR.

In a funny parallel I still use the stripe instead of the chip on a Debit Card as I would without fail "Swipe" the chip instead of leaving it inside the reader.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

oohhboy posted:

In a funny parallel I still use the stripe instead of the chip on a Debit Card as I would without fail "Swipe" the chip instead of leaving it inside the reader.

Where do you live that has readers that don't immediately tell you to insert your card when you swipe something chipped?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

nnnotime posted:

So who is using DeFi in a big way in their operations besides money launderers, and, those who cannot take on debt in USD due to United States OFAC sanctions?

What kind of interest rate do you get with "your" savings account?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ghosTTy posted:

Can you pull your money out of that ? If not, then that is just a big interest rate to lure in rubes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ghosTTy posted:

The kind that is in instantly spendable and withdraw-able actual money. Both the interest and, more importantly, the principal.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NZ. I should clarify a little. I carry both C+S card and a stripe card. The chip card stays in the thin side of the wallet(Penetration range) like an Octopus would which is slightly less accessible than where the stripe card is. Tiny inconveniences changes a lot. I will have to double check to see if I can swipe a C+S card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Sickening posted:

Can you pull your money out of that ?

They say the older you get the quicker time seems to pass, but still believing crypto fud from 2011? Wow, it stinks of mothballs in here