Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I am going to go on a bit of a tangent here....

What kind of chemical reactions can you usefully get out of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) or Methane (CH4?)

Like what can you to actually get it to react as a solid?
Or react to say a less agressive green house gas?
(I know CH4 if combusted will result in CO2, so let's go with something a little less obvious.)

How hard is it to convert Methane/Natural gas to say Propane?
(Since Propane is heavier than air, I assume it does adversely contribute to global warming, but maybe I'm mistaken.)

TLDR:
What exactly can you do with Carbon Dioxide or Methane available in the atmosphere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
You have to expend energy. As much energy as can be gotten from burning the propane, theoretically. There's other stuff, but that's the biggest current issue imo

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Trabisnikof posted:

(You should really stop commenting so much on energy or climate policy if you don't even have a cursory understanding of the topic at hand.)

No one, not a single individual has presented anything persuasive that dispute Momjeans420 earlier natural gas argument.

My comments are not meant to be taken as literal truth but me thinking out loud trying comprehend a complex topic. I’ve been wrong more than once. I would hope that my time spent posting especially on a Sunday Night would be seen in the absolute least a sign of willingness to learn.

After all, this is the Debate and Discussion sub-forum.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

In response to me saying "if we use natural gas as a stopgap, then we need a plan to quickly transition off of it". That kind of response suggests that you don't already have any alternatives in mind, which would mean just using natural gas forever. That's apparently not what you meant, but it's a straightforward interpretation of what you wrote

You’re telling me the reason there’s this skepticism of my posts because I haven’t presented a plan to transition off of Natural Gas? The original post I quoted was the topic of Natural Gas use in China which they’re using as a transition energy source.

My alternatives, would renewables with nuclear. Along with a massive sustainability urbanization build out kept under the current carbon budget then massive drop in consumption or the end of consumerism. And then the sole task of humanity would be solving or adapting to climate change.

Or the Green New Deal.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Tab8715 posted:

No one, not a single individual has presented anything persuasive that dispute Momjeans420 earlier natural gas argument.

My comments are not meant to be taken as literal truth but me thinking out loud trying comprehend a complex topic. I’ve been wrong more than once. I would hope that my time spent posting especially on a Sunday Night would be seen in the absolute least a sign of willingness to learn.

After all, this is the Debate and Discussion sub-forum.

Side note but it's really annoying to me for some reason that somebody dropped "go read Momjeans420's post in energy gen" on you in the climate thread, as a rebuttal for your nonsense, and then you popped up in here and have ever since been namedropping Momjeans without displaying any comprehension.

"somebody show me China has nuclear baseload" SMDH. Do you think nuclear is an intermittent power source? That's the degree of ill-informed posting that people here are taking umbrage with. You're trying to sound smart by using the correct terminology and looking like an idiot in the process.

Post less and study more, unless you have an agenda to push in which case carry on my wayward goon.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Rime posted:

Side note but it's really annoying to me for some reason that somebody dropped "go read Momjeans420's post in energy gen" on you in the climate thread, as a rebuttal for your nonsense, and then you popped up in here and have ever since been namedropping Momjeans without displaying any comprehension.

A poster(s) from this thread brought the earlier conversation of natural gas as a transition fuel into the global warming thread during completely a entirely different discussion. I find this completely inappropriate as it is confusing to cross thread post and rather rude.

I found his argument persuasive. I find his post a source as much as anything else. No one is disputing it or than repeating “We can build renewables and nuclear.” and Nuclear was disputed in detail by that same poster as well but was glossed over.

Rime posted:

"somebody show me China has nuclear baseload" SMDH. Do you think nuclear is an intermittent power source?

No, nuclear isn’t a intermittent power source.

I looked before posting if China had a plan for Nuclear Power as a base load and I didn’t really find anything definitive. And even if it was, it’ll be decades before that occurs from technical, economic and political challenges. And that still doesn’t answer what we’re suppose to do in the interim.

Hence, my question.

Rime posted:

That's the degree of ill-informed posting that people here are taking umbrage with. You're trying to sound smart by using the correct terminology and looking like an idiot in the process.

Have you ever been in the capacity of teaching anyone? Or ever asked a dumb question? People ask questions that may seem off, make mistakes but people will make mistakes. It is the humanity in all of us and personally I find this “perfection” standard absolutely so high it’s taken to a literally fault.

I don’t know how better to convey myself. In my view, we want people to be engaged because even with mistakes the cost of not engaging far outweighs it entirely.

Edit - I find the climate advocate community extremely hostile to nearly everyone who doesn’t meet X, Y and Z standard. We want to pull people up, not push them down. Climate change is as much as political problem as it is a environmental one. We have to win peoples hearts and minds. You do that by building a big tent and being inclusive.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 20, 2020

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Tab8715 posted:

I looked before posting if China had a plan for Nuclear Power as a base load and I didn’t really find anything definitive. And even if it was, it’ll be decades before that occurs from technical, economic and political challenges. And that still doesn’t answer what we’re suppose to do in the interim.

Could you please define base loading please? I'm very curious about what you think it means.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Pander posted:

Could you please define base loading please? I'm very curious about what you think it means.

Baseload usually implies being a significant portion of the power mix. Nuclear in China is less than 5% of electrical generation - just above mild curiosity into useful demonstration/feasibility plant scale level.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If you google the term, or just ask, you'll find that a base load power plant is used to describe any plant that mostly operates at a constant rate. These are your hydro electric dams, you big coal power plants, and your nuclear power stations. Base load plants are ones made to run as close to 100% capacity as possible.

This oposite of this is intermitent generation, peaker plants, gas turbines and the like.

edit: Also to the post about reacting methane, this is actually what happens naturally. Methane reacts in the atmosphere to make water and co2. So if we stop releasing it then it will eventually be worked out of the system. We just have to stop first.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 20, 2020

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

If you google the term, or just ask, you'll find that a base load power plant is used to describe any plant that mostly operates at a constant rate. These are your hydro electric dams, you big coal power plants, and your nuclear power stations. Base load plants are ones made to run as close to 100% capacity as possible.

This oposite of this is intermitent generation, peaker plants, gas turbines and the like.

edit: Also to the post about reacting methane, this is actually what happens naturally. Methane reacts in the atmosphere to make water and co2. So if we stop releasing it then it will eventually be worked out of the system. We just have to stop first.

There are specific definitions of base load that all get confused with each other - but in general terms it is the minimum level (ie, MW, not MWhrs) of power consumed over a reasonable period of time. So you can use wind power by itself for base load power if you have enough capacity such that even when it (the wind generation system as a whole, not individual units) is generating at its minimum the wind power system would still be providing that minimum "baseload" of power.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think the confusion ends up being the difference between the base load, and a base load power plant, whos meaning can be confusingly contradictory.

You can supply base load with any source, if you want, but not every source is a base load plant. Probably because having entire production methods becoming and unbecoming base load plants as your nations power make up changes would also be confusing.

In this case, a nuclear reactor that is in france, or china are both base load plants, even though france has 70 percent nuclear and china five. This would hold true for a big coal powerplant as well.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I think the confusion ends up being the difference between the base load, and a base load power plant, whos meaning can be confusingly contradictory.

You can supply base load with any source, if you want, but not every source is a base load plant. Probably because having entire production methods becoming and unbecoming base load plants as your nations power make up changes would also be confusing.

In this case, a nuclear reactor that is in france, or china are both base load plants, even though france has 70 percent nuclear and china five. This would hold true for a big coal powerplant as well.

I imagine if China's nuclear reactors stopped tomorrow, the idle capacity in its coal fleet, plus hydro / wind etc would make up the difference. In France if the nuclear was shut off, it is brown out time. That is the difference in the usage that Tab was using it as (my understanding of the context anyway). Baseload power is the power source that you use to provide the baseload (ie, approximately all of it). In France it is Nuclear, China it is coal+hydro.

In any event outside the delicious taste of language semantics, the point remains that the scale of China's nuclear power is interesting but otherwise unimportant for the Chinese power system except in terms of potential. 35 GW currently installed and only another 945 GW to go to replace coal (assuming no increasing electrical demand).

Australia installed 0.1 GW of battery storage good for four hours and it made international news, imagine how much noise it is going to make when Elon does a 100 GW in a 100 days deal for China? It would still take years to cover off what is required there.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

A quick Wikipedia search shows that China barely has any Nuclear Power but I’m still completely lost if they are intended to use it has a base load. A few article sort of allude to it but the complexity behind such a plan is extreme.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There aren't many nations that don't use it for base load? Like france does more load following because it makes up such a large portion of the power grid, but if it's only 5% then why the hell wouldn't they use it as base load? You do your load following with the plants best suited for that, not the other way around on a lark.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Speaking of... how did France end up with Nuclear as a base load in the first place? How the hell are they the only one?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Tab8715 posted:

Speaking of... how did France end up with Nuclear as a base load in the first place? How the hell are they the only one?

They wanted energy Independence and Nuclear was the best way to get there for them. They just went whole hog on it.

We really should all have done the same 30 years ago but oh well.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

They wanted energy Independence and Nuclear was the best way to get there for them. They just went whole hog on it.

It was the 1970s oil crisis that did it. France was highly dependent on oil and had none of its own.

Note that their reactors are aging and they haven't exactly been building a bunch of replacements.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Phanatic posted:

It was the 1970s oil crisis that did it. France was highly dependent on oil and had none of its own.

Note that their reactors are aging and they haven't exactly been building a bunch of replacements.

Yeah, that was the time to go full in on nuclear. Now it's not economic compared to renewables. We still need to build a few but not more than enough to maintain current baseload generation without dipping into fossil fuels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

France has largely said they plant to expand the fleet and their fuel reprocessing is still top notch.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

France has largely said they plant to expand the fleet and their fuel reprocessing is still top notch.

God I wish we reprocessed fuel for our non-existent gas cooled Fast Neutron Reactors. I think there's one in the planning stage, but it will never break ground :smith:

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tab8715 posted:

A quick Wikipedia search shows that China barely has any Nuclear Power but I’m still completely lost if they are intended to use it has a base load. A few article sort of allude to it but the complexity behind such a plan is extreme.

Yeah, I'm confused too. Earlier in this thread, it was commonly posted that China is more committed to nuclear power than the US. And that the US is ignorant & backwards when compared to China & other Asian countries for not learning to love the atom.

China only being 5% nuclear powered is not really a big commitment. Maybe this is hinting at the idea that nuclear power might not really be the slam dunk technology this thread thinks it is?

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 22, 2020

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

silence_kit posted:

Yeah, I'm confused too. Earlier in this thread, it was commonly posted that China is more committed to nuclear power than the US. And that the US is ignorant & backwards when compared to China & other Asian countries for not learning to love the atom.

China only being 5% nuclear powered is not really a big commitment. Maybe this is hinting at the idea that nuclear power might not really be the slam dunk technology this thread thinks it is?

To be fair, negligible/minor for China is enough to now make it third world wide in nuclear electrical generation fleet and without really thinking about it has enough in construction and planning to make it the worlds largest nuclear power generator.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

silence_kit posted:

l Maybe this is hinting at the idea that nuclear power might not really be the slam dunk technology this thread thinks it is?

This kind of idiocy is what got us into this mess.

"If nuclear power is good, why aren't I already supporting it. Checkmat"

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 22, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't looked too hard into that before but my impression was that China wasn't that China has a lot of nuke plants, it was that they were building more new ones. Unlike pretty much everyone else.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

50 reactors are under construction worldwide, 11 of them in China. China is also working on moving to a closed nuclear fuel cycle, gen IV projects and thorium.

France is actually moving away now - kinda - from nuclear power. After Fukushima and the 2016 Framatome scandal, the populace is still positive on nuclear power, but a lot less than before. And the government does not really see a big future on nuclear power.

The idea is to reduce nuclear power in the energy generation mix from 72% that it is today to 50% by 2025 (although the phase-out might be postponed to 2035 in the end).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dante80 posted:

50 reactors are under construction worldwide, 11 of them in China. China is also working on moving to a closed nuclear fuel cycle, gen IV projects and thorium.

France is actually moving away now - kinda - from nuclear power. After Fukushima and the 2016 Framatome scandal, the populace is still positive on nuclear power, but a lot less than before. And the government does not really see a big future on nuclear power.

The idea is to reduce nuclear power in the energy generation mix from 72% that it is today to 50% by 2025 (although the phase-out might be postponed to 2035 in the end).

As of October, they are reversing course and actively looking for new sites, especially as France exports a lot of nuclear generated power. They don't have funding or sites locked in yet, but I suspect they are going to keep/expand/upgrade the current fleet:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/614579/why-france-is-eyeing-nuclear-power-again/

Meanwhile in the US: NIMBYism haunts Nuclear Power, but Coal, Oil, and Gas apparently has a radioisotope problem:

https://twitter.com/JustinNobel/status/1219605764462874625?s=20

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Senor P. posted:

I am going to go on a bit of a tangent here....

What kind of chemical reactions can you usefully get out of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) or Methane (CH4?)

Like what can you to actually get it to react as a solid?
Or react to say a less agressive green house gas?
(I know CH4 if combusted will result in CO2, so let's go with something a little less obvious.)

How hard is it to convert Methane/Natural gas to say Propane?
(Since Propane is heavier than air, I assume it does adversely contribute to global warming, but maybe I'm mistaken.)

TLDR:
What exactly can you do with Carbon Dioxide or Methane available in the atmosphere?

ignoring all practical concerns both CO2 and CH4 can be reacted into methanol without requiring anything else besides energy. CO2 can be reacted with Magnesium and Calcium bearing minerals to produce solid carbonates. This pathway is one of the ways in which carbon is naturally sequestered in the oceans via rock weathering.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Meanwhile in the US: NIMBYism haunts Nuclear Power, but Coal, Oil, and Gas apparently has a radioisotope problem:

This is loving terrifying, because they were spraying that highly radioactive brine on roads as far away as Missouri to deice roads and in the summer on dirt roads in rural areas to 'keep the dust down' (hint: it doesn't) and ALSO selling it in bottles as liquid de-icer YOU COULD PUT ON YOUR PORCH AND WALK AND DRIVEWAYS.

quote:

Brine-spreading is legal in 13 states, including the Dakotas, Colorado, much of the Upper Midwest, northern Appalachia, and New York. In 2016 alone, 11 million gallons of oil-field brine were spread on roads in Pennsylvania, and 96 percent was spread in townships in the state’s remote northwestern corner, where Lawson lives. Much of the brine is spread for dust control in summer, when contractors pick up the waste directly at the wellhead, says Lawson, then head to Farmington to douse roads. On a single day in August 2017, 15,300 gallons of brine were reportedly spread.
The oil-and-gas industry has “found a legal way to dispose of waste,” says Lawson, 65, who worked as a horse trainer but is no longer able to ride professionally because of her illnesses. Sitting in her dining room, surrounded by pictures she has taken to document the contamination — brine running down the side of a road, an Amish woman lifting her dress to avoid being sprayed — she tells me the brine is spread regularly on roads that abut cornfields, cow pastures, and trees tapped for maple syrup sold at a local farmer’s market.

“There is nothing to remediate it with,” says Avner Vengosh, a Duke University geochemist. “The high radioactivity in the soil at some of these sites will stay forever.” Radium-226 has a half-life of 1,600 years. The level of uptake into agricultural crops grown in contaminated soil is unknown because it hasn’t been adequately studied.
But the new buzzword in the oil-and-gas industry is “beneficial use” — transforming oil-and-gas waste into commercial products, like pool salts and home de-icers. In June 2017, an official with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources entered a Lowe’s Home Center in Akron and purchased a turquoise jug of a liquid de-icer called AquaSalina, which is made with brine from conventional wells. Used for home patios, sidewalks, and driveways — “Safe for Environment & Pets,” the label touts — AquaSalina was found by a state lab to contain radium at levels as high as 2,491 picocuries per liter. Stolz, the Duquesne scientist, also had the product tested and found radium levels registered about 1,140 picocuries per liter.

CPI Road Solutions, an Indianapolis-based snow- and ice-management company, sells hundreds of thousands of gallons of AquaSalina each winter to the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission and Ohio Department of Transportation, says Jay Wallerstein, a company VP. Supporters tout that the product has been approved by Pacific Northwest Snowfighters, the nation’s most-respected organization for evaluating de-icing products. But Snowfighters official Jay Wells says, “PNS has not tested AquaSalina for radioactive elements” and that “radium-226 is not a standard test for de-icing products.”
Yeah eating all that organic Amish-raised food at the farmer's market? Good luck with that.

In Louisiana they also donated used pipes to schools and parks to make into fences, benches and PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT. FOR CHILDREN. Sitting on a fence for an hour would give a kid a year's worth of radioactive dosage. Jesus H. Christ.

quote:

The levels of radium in Louisiana oil pipes had registered as much as 20,000 times the limits set by the EPA for topsoil at uranium-mill waste sites. Templet found that workers who were cleaning oil-field piping were being coated in radioactive dust and breathing it in. One man they tested had radioactivity all over his clothes, his car, his front steps, and even on his newborn baby. The industry was also spewing waste into coastal waterways, and radioactivity was shown to accumulate in oysters. Pipes still laden with radioactivity were donated by the industry and reused to build community playgrounds. Templet sent inspectors with Geiger counters across southern Louisiana. One witnessed a kid sitting on a fence made from piping so radioactive they were set to receive a full year’s radiation dose in an hour. “People thought getting these pipes for free from the oil industry was such a great deal,” says Templet, “but essentially the oil companies were just getting rid of their waste.”

Jesus, seriously, go read this article then light up your goddamn reps' phones, this is horrific.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 23, 2020

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oracle posted:

This is loving terrifying, because they were spraying that highly radioactive brine on roads as far away as Missouri to deice roads and in the summer on dirt roads in rural areas to 'keep the dust down' (hint: it doesn't) and ALSO selling it in bottles as liquid de-icer YOU COULD PUT ON YOUR PORCH AND WALK AND DRIVEWAYS.
Yeah eating all that organic Amish-raised food at the farmer's market? Good luck with that.

In Louisiana they also donated used pipes to schools and parks to make into fences, benches and PLAYGROUND EQUIPMENT. FOR CHILDREN. Sitting on a fence for an hour would give a kid a year's worth of radioactive dosage. Jesus H. Christ.

Jesus, seriously, go read this article then light up your goddamn reps' phones, this is horrific.

This does not seem ideal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Oracle posted:

:stare: The flaring is radioactive. The processing flaring is spreading radioactivity....

The natural gas burnoff is RADIOACTIVE!!!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

As of October, they are reversing course and actively looking for new sites, especially as France exports a lot of nuclear generated power. They don't have funding or sites locked in yet, but I suspect they are going to keep/expand/upgrade the current fleet:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/614579/why-france-is-eyeing-nuclear-power-again/

Holy loving hell this is really bad.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Beyond lying about Climate Change for over 40 years, the Oil and Gas Industry work TIRELESSLY to find new ways to kill us all.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CommieGIR posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/fra...t-idUSL8N1PH4D6

quote:

Under the previous government’s 2015 energy transition law, France needs to cut the share of nuclear energy in its power mix to 50 percent by 2025 from about 75 percent today.

But Hulot said late last year that while the government remains committed to reducing the share of nuclear to 50 percent, it may take ten more years to get to that level.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/france-nuclear-energy-emmanuel-macron-reactors-environment-global-warming-a8654371.html

quote:

French President Emmanuel Macron has said the country will move more slowly than promised to cap the amount of energy it derives from nuclear energy.

Amid daily protests about high energy prices, Mr Macron said France will shut down 14 nuclear reactors by 2035 out of 58 now in order.

He said France would cap the amount of electricity it derives from nuclear plants at 50 per cent by 2035, which is a delay compared with the goal of 2025 set by his predecessor Francois Hollande.

Not cutting it as fast as the previous guy is not the same thing as an expansion.

(Fuel reprocessing really doesn't matter, either. Fuel contributes so little to the cost of operating a nuclear plant that even with a once-through fuel cycle it's a rounding error, fractions of a cent per kWh on the end-user's bill.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Not cutting it as fast as the previous guy is not the same thing as an expansion.

(Fuel reprocessing really doesn't matter, either. Fuel contributes so little to the cost of operating a nuclear plant that even with a once-through fuel cycle it's a rounding error, fractions of a cent per kWh on the end-user's bill.)

I never claimed it was a cost, its more that it eliminates what normally would be waste and turns it back into usable fuel.

Its worth noting that you are quoting an article that is a year PRIOR to the one I shared.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I never claimed it was a cost, its more that it eliminates what normally would be waste and turns it back into usable fuel.

Its worth noting that you are quoting an article that is a year PRIOR to the one I shared.

Hadn't read to the end of the thread before I posted. From that article, though:

quote:

France intends to shut down about 15 aging reactors before 2030, says Jessica Lovering, a nuclear researcher at Carnegie Mellon. So building six reactors wouldn't necessarily increase the share of electricity produced by nuclear plants across the nation, particularly as demand increases in the coming years.

I don't think this supports your claim that France is looking to expand, rather than reduce, nuclear power.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CommieGIR posted:

I saw this earlier in the OSHA thread and I'm still trying to process it.

The US is just broken. Fundamentally and irretrievably broken.

This could be the current generation's version of leaded fuel, only instead of crime and diminished intellect, it's everyone getting cancer in the early 2040s and dying en masse.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I saw this earlier in the OSHA thread and I'm still trying to process it.

The US is just broken. Fundamentally and irretrievably broken.

This could be the current generation's version of leaded fuel, only instead of crime and diminished intellect, it's everyone getting cancer in the early 2040s and dying en masse.

It's already happening now. Coal often includes radioisotopes like thorium that just get blown out the stack or sits on open hills of fly ash along with heavy metals.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Lurking Haro posted:

It's already happening now. Coal often includes radioisotopes like thorium that just get blown out the stack or sits on open hills of fly ash along with heavy metals.

Its been happening since the 90's. At least with fracking. Coal its been going on for as long as we've used coal. Those cancer causing numbers are baked in I'm assuming.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Germany had a decrease in coal power production of 20%+ last year. The resulting reduction in emissions has put the 2020 Paris goal into theoretical reach again(lol, it's not gonna happen)

https://www.smart-energy.com/renewable-energy/germany-renewables-up-to-43-coal-emissions-down-in-2019-report/

Interestingly, the main reason for this is the EU carbon emission certificate scheme. It made coal power uncompetitive with basically everything less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GABA ghoul posted:

Germany had a decrease in coal power production of 20%+ last year. The resulting reduction in emissions has put the 2020 Paris goal into theoretical reach again(lol, it's not gonna happen)

https://www.smart-energy.com/renewable-energy/germany-renewables-up-to-43-coal-emissions-down-in-2019-report/

Interestingly, the main reason for this is the EU carbon emission certificate scheme. It made coal power uncompetitive with basically everything less.

Yeah, 42% how often and how long, that almost sounds like they are padding their numbers...