Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New job had me get:

Credit check
Background check (no theft, assault, or firearms charges)
5 panel drug screen
Physical
Up to date on immuniziations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Brace yourselves O365 admins. (via IT Goon Slack)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/microsoft-search-bing

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lol, what the hell is wrong with you Microsoft.

Do they auto install the Bing Toolbar(tm) too?!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

New job had me get:

Credit check
5 panel drug screen
Physical

So I take it you got the job because you were the only qualified applicant in Michigan :v:? no shade, Sirotan

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

lol, what the hell is wrong with you Microsoft.

Do they auto install the Bing Toolbar(tm) too?!

Release Notes: Clippy will appear on every query and add helpful suggestions to refine your searches. If necessary, this can be disabled by editing multiple registry entries. Be aware these entries are restored on every boot.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So I take it you got the job because you were the only qualified applicant in Michigan :v:? no shade, Sirotan

Hey like two-thirds of us here are not gun-toting rednecks ok <:mad:>

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sirotan posted:

Only if you live in Detroit, Lansing, or Grand Rapids.

So yeah, about 2/3rds.

Edit*
Although the chance of being a gun-toting redneck goes up the more west you go in central Michigan.
South and north Michigan it's drat near a guarantee.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

New job had me get:

Credit check
5 panel drug screen
Physical

$Job has annual background and credit checks on me, actually.

Though my company is under both "Healthcare" and "bank" regulations so I can't even blame them for making sure I'm not a blackmail/fraud target.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

gently caress off Bing nobody likes you

oh looks like I was already beaten to it in this thread

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I (sadly) don't see anything legally actionable there. I would have to choose my words carefully in that meeting because it's unwise to tell a VP "I drive a 20 year old car because I like it and don't give a gently caress about your stupid status symbols" but there's nothing illegal there as far as I can tell.
Yeah, it's not against the law to fire someone for driving an older car. In the U.S., you can generally be fired for any reason, aside from being in a "protected class," which is mostly (aside from religion) immutable things you cannot change (race, ethnicity, national origin, biological sex, etc.). Even age discrimination is fine, as long as you're discriminating against someone under 40 (because LOL gently caress young people), and it's legal in most states to discriminate on the basis of gender identity and sexuality, because gently caress you.

Each day I am more and more disappointed in us for not taking to the streets. The French would never tolerate this bullshit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

$Job has annual background and credit checks on me, actually.

Though my company is under both "Healthcare" and "bank" regulations so I can't even blame them for making sure I'm not a blackmail/fraud target.

Yeah, when I worked in the global security department for $INTERNATIONAL_BANK, we had regular background and credit checks, as well. They also had a policy where we had to take at *least* one vacation each year of two consecutive weeks which as a way for activity analysis to more easily pick out if any regularly detected anomalous activity goes away while you aren't at work.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Sheep posted:

Not to mention that espionage (industrial and otherwise) and bribery are valid concerns. All federal IT staff in positions beyond entry helpdesk that I know are credit checked.

In dutch we have a saying “as the pub landlord is, he thinks his guests will be”, so I assume any company that thinks I’m going to steal everything not bolted down and sell company secrets is pretty much doing it themselves.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sirotan posted:

It's okay Sirotan, we agree, just please stop waving that gun at us...:stare:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Dangit why must we insist on creating all AD users display names in the "Surname, Forename" format. Every now and then I trip up and message someone and call them the wrong name, and its not helped when all systems dont play by the same rules (Slack: Forename Surname, good! Jira Servicedesk: Surname, Forename... boo!) especially with people who have "regular" surnames.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm late the to fire chat game, but when I worked for a hedge fund they used to do group firings, five or six people at a time.

They'd call me up to the floor, hand me an envelope and then call the people into a conference room. I'd open the envelope and their name would be on a car, like they won an Oscar. Then they'd send them out one at a time fired. I'd sit at their desk, lock their PC and disable their phones/emails and wait for them to come back. I'd hand them whatever personal effects they'd left behind (wallet, keys, after taking any thumbdrives off) and send them on their way.

A few times the guys would nearly be in tears, and I'd be the first one they saw. It was not a pleasant experience.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, when I worked in the global security department for $INTERNATIONAL_BANK, we had regular background and credit checks, as well. They also had a policy where we had to take at *least* one vacation each year of two consecutive weeks which as a way for activity analysis to more easily pick out if any regularly detected anomalous activity goes away while you aren't at work.

I'm a contractor for several $LARGE_NATIONAL_FINANCIAL FIRMS and they all do this, but commonly it's last minute. Like Friday you get an email saying to stay home for a week. I assume during this week they search all your stuff and see what you are up to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My last day here. I leave you with this excerpt from a few days ago:

quote:

Tonight was the 2nd time in the past 2 weeks that I have smelled a strange almost burning smell of either plastic or rubber in the B-A12 server room. The 1st time I had maintenance look at the room with me and we were unable to track down anything daunting. Oddly enough the AC unit in the server room failed around this time and I thought maybe it had been the culprit. Smelling it again tonight I grabbed the FLIR from the Remstar in maintenance. The only thing that I could find to be questionable was the power cable for the western most server cabinet. The power cable goes to a red outlet on the back wall of the server room and the plug was running about 130 degrees Fahrenheit. The power cable itself was roughly 100 degrees Fahrenheit all the way to the server cabinet. I could be smelling this cable getting hot and the rubber coating giving off a sweet burnt smell. Not totally sure on this just wanted it reported. Maintenance is aware of this as well.

1/17/2020 JM: Today Anthony from maintenance looked at the power cable in the B-A12 server room. He was able to test the amp draw of the individual breakers in the server room. The breaker #15 that runs the wall outlet that we are seeing get hot is providing 14.2amps. The extension cord is SOOW 16/3 which is only rated for 13amps so we do have an issue with overdraw which is causing that wire to get hot. *Pending Solution*

The solution is 20 amp cables. HOWEVER they can't fit two in a junction box or whatever they are called.
So instead of just having an electrician fix this the right way, they had the design department bang up this fancy faceplate
THEN they're trying to figure out how to jam both of these in there side by side. The current solution is remove the plastic cover on the plug and wrap in electrical tape

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
You should recommend them spacing the holes out a little more, or encourage the electrical tape idea.

Also...do the fire marshals never inspect the facility? We had quarterly inspections at 4 of the manufacturing plants we had. Had a super fun production outage because of a daisy chained power strip in one of the IDFs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

20 amps is still not enough. While 14 amps is below the 80% rule, that's not much headroom and when someone decides to toss another server into the rack they're gonna blow past it again.. this time with plugs where the only shielding they have is flammable electrical tape. Those giant shrouds on those plugs are not decorative!

(a much better fix would be to split the load between two circuits and use the 20 amp cabling)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
When we say 'burn the place down to the ground as you leave', that's just a saying, not a serious suggestion.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, it's not against the law to fire someone for driving an older car. In the U.S., you can generally be fired for any reason, aside from being in a "protected class," which is mostly (aside from religion) immutable things you cannot change (race, ethnicity, national origin, biological sex, etc.). Even age discrimination is fine, as long as you're discriminating against someone under 40 (because LOL gently caress young people), and it's legal in most states to discriminate on the basis of gender identity and sexuality, because gently caress you.

Each day I am more and more disappointed in us for not taking to the streets. The French would never tolerate this bullshit.

Thing to remember about the US though is just because it's legal doesn't mean doing it is free from risk. You can still get your rear end sued in civil court and have to pay damages for wrongful termination or discrimination, even if it was completely legal.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:thumbsup:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We live in an era of trial by social media too, if the company is supported by advertising at all and the story goes viral the internet will crucify them and they could see real financial loss from it.

"Legal" and "getting away with it" are not the same thing. :v:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

At least you've got power now? Unless you meant that metaphorically...

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

LOOK AT MR FANCY loving PANTS WITH WALLS.

OH LOOK, A loving DOOR. WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO CLOSE IT YOUR GODDAMN HIGHNESS????

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

A pair of heavy duty hinges and you've got a hidden door.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sirotan posted:

At least you've got power now? Unless you meant that metaphorically...

I ran power and network cables under the door and into the server room.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I used that same desk in my home office for like 3 years

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Is that really your desk at the end of a hallway?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

How many times per day are you going to bang your knee/elbow/shoulder against the fire extinguisher cabinet?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

MF_James posted:

Is that really your desk at the end of a hallway?

My desk is still in my old office (which is right around the corner), because it was too long and would block part of the server room door. So I brought this plastic table out of the server room to be my desk.

On a related note it has annoyed me for my entire career that my coworkers and bosses never use my title when they introduce me to people. I am always "the computer guy" or "he handles I.T. for us" and many times they don't even use my name, just "this is our I.T. guy." It feels disrespectful and dehumanizing.

This morning they brought the new receptionist by and for the first time I thought "I wouldn't want to be introduced as the VP of I.T." because I'm a weirdo who sits at the end of a hallway like some kind of troll under a goddamn bridge.

EDIT: In case it's not clear yes this really is where I sit now. Sometimes I feel obliged to post proof that I'm not making up the odd stories I post.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 23, 2020

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Is your desk blocking some emergency fire equipment there?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fragrag posted:

Is your desk blocking some emergency fire equipment there?

Not if he's the fire department too! It's for quick access.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Dick Trauma posted:

My desk is still in my old office (which is right around the corner), because it was too long and would block part of the server room door. So I brought this plastic table out of the server room to be my desk.

On a related note it has annoyed me for my entire career that my coworkers and bosses never use my title when they introduce me to people. I am always "the computer guy" or "he handles I.T. for us" and many times they don't even use my name, just "this is our I.T. guy." It feels disrespectful and dehumanizing.

This morning they brought the new receptionist by and for the first time I thought "I wouldn't want to be introduced as the VP of I.T." because I'm a weirdo who sits at the end of a hallway like some kind of troll under a goddamn bridge.

EDIT: In case it's not clear yes this really is where I sit now. Sometimes I feel obliged to post proof that I'm not making up the odd stories I post.

Yeaaaaaaaahhhhh - Dick, we're gonna need to go ahead and move you downstairs into storage B. We have some new people coming in, and we need all the space we can get. So if you could just go ahead and pack up your stuff and move it down there, that would be terrific, OK?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

The Fool posted:

I used that same desk in my home office for like 3 years

Currently using it in my temporary housing! Can't beat the convenience for $40.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 23, 2020

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Assuming there’s little traffic to that door, I’d pick that setup over the open office hellscape my desk is in.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I like to think your real job isn't in IT, DT, but that you're actually a performance artist, doing these pieces as a commentary on our capitalist hellscape.

At least, that's what helps me sleep at night.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

xzzy posted:

We live in an era of trial by social media too, if the company is supported by advertising at all and the story goes viral the internet will crucify them and they could see real financial loss from it.

"Legal" and "getting away with it" are not the same thing. :v:

Yeah and " The Wealthy can keep you in court tied up until you go bankrupt/give up"

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Blue Moonlight posted:

Assuming there’s little traffic to that door, I’d pick that setup over the open office hellscape my desk is in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSY1VnNUJzQ