Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i almost carried smite exhaust garen + cleanse ghost alistar botlane with nunu mid. i have no clue why i didnt dodge. whats wrong with me?

dodge chicken gone wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Whoever posted that support tip video, thanks, the triangle visualisation has been really helpful to give my movement purpose and a way to tell when I'm in danger outside of instinct from painful experience. I feel there's a lot of practice from that 5 minutes video.

pog boyfriend posted:

listen, i love volibear, and if i can beat diamond/plat opponents on volibear in my weakened state you can too. volibear has a lot of room for skill expression, just not necessarily mechanical execution. love the bear

But it's not the weekend?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I loving hate Sett, he counters Volibear top pretty hard since he tends to activate shield when he is low at health, which is when I want to use W to end him. Also, if I ban Fiora I get Urgot, I ban Urgot I get Fiora. Life is hard. At least with Darius I can punish them if they play bad, but those champs are just insta win lane most games.

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 21, 2020

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
cant volibear flip him mid w so you dodge the damage?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Slaapaav posted:

cant volibear flip him mid w so you dodge the damage?

it's like xerath Q where it always goes off no matter what, in the original pattern, iirc

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Better to be dodged, but not always easy if standing in minion wave

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Midig posted:

Better to be dodged, but not always easy if standing in minion wave

eagerly awaiting the second draft of this post

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

He stands still during cast, so you can literally walk past him to avoid damage. The problem is the shield mostly.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Stuff It, I'm in the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6LTkhoCOqg

This game was bad. I was flustered, I CS'd like poo poo and died multiple times where I shouldn't have. We surrendered at 15 and 20 but neither went through. But my big focus and what I'm worried/looking for advice on is my decision making. Did I make calls that were bad inherently, or were they just bad in the moment?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Shen top.

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020

I CANT RESIST SHITTING UP THE BIG BOOBS THREAD WITH MY RANDOM FUCKING MONKEY CHEESE BULLSHIT! IF YOU SEE ME, FUCK ME UP.
you spent a lot of time moving into enemy spells in the first 5 minutes that resulted in losing like half your health to grab a minion that could have waited, and you didnt really harass the enemy laner much. A lot of your movement was oddly linear too even throughout the game where you'd back yourself up against a wall or between the wall and turret

very nice i like
Jan 8, 2020

I CANT RESIST SHITTING UP THE BIG BOOBS THREAD WITH MY RANDOM FUCKING MONKEY CHEESE BULLSHIT! IF YOU SEE ME, FUCK ME UP.
also the rumble gank was telegraphed and putting the trap down was only going to guarantee your death. Since you were in his attack range and outside your trap range I would have just kept walking and blown e/flash as desired. in general i'd try to be more aware of my positioning as it relates to enemy spells

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Pre 1:30, either sit in a river bush or near entrance to blue, no need to waste your ward. If you want to invade just walk with them.

When you're leashing, if you're walking the safe way, may as well stand in the bush to charge headshot.

Early laning Veigar being gone/having no flash is a problem, but the enemies aren't punishing you. Starting at 2:10 you can and should be autoing the wave, especially when Veigar is sitting in the bush zoning. 2:16 especially is a good example of a time when you're under no threat and should be pushing - now is the time to auto minions/q the wave freely.

2:20 is too late, you walk up (further than you need to to hit that ranged minion) while MF is walking up. This means she can hit you while you're csing, and then, since you have no wave, while she does, and you just used your damage ability, while she has two, she can just free hit you all the way back to tower.

At that point, the minions are hitting tower anyway, if you just walk to tower you can cs no problem. Also part of why it's better not to q, because you don't want to mess up the minion hp.

Basically, level 1 bot lane you want to push the wave for level 2. If that's not an option, you have to back off the wave if they hit it first - it will hit tower, so you shouldn't lose xp. In this case it even stopped outside tower range, mostly -- this means you can push just enough to keep it there, which makes the enemy team vulnerable to ganks and means you don't have to even worry about csing under tower.

In general, use your q's more deliberately - a lot of the time it seems like you're either going for kind of random harass, or trying to kill minions that you could just auto down later.

You want to harass the enemy AD when they're about to cs - they're going to stand still to auto, and can't hit back immediately. As Cait, you should also look to harass when your headshot is up -- it's a v foolproof way to win an auto trade. More generally, you want to trade when you have more minions than them, esp more casters.

On Cait in particular, you can use your traps to funnel them into position to get hit - ie, along a wall, next to tower, etc.

Just going through in order, at 2:50 for example you q a cannon at your tower for no reason -- you're going to get it either way, you're just wasting mana/cd!

At 4:50 similarly by q'ing the wave you deny yourself a set of casters by qing them before they hit tower.

Basically, if you're in a spot where you have to play defensively, 1) make sure you don't mess up the cs under tower 2) use abilities intentionally 3) don't fight into minion waves, let them crash and I guess 4) you can still play up when they walk back for no reason etc.

This was going to be a pretty tough early lane either way ofc, and I'm sure there's a lot more later on, but there's a lot to work on just in the first few levels/with basic laning. Definitely work on trap usage to make space, it's a huge part of playing cait effectively.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

foutre posted:

Pre 1:30, either sit in a river bush or near entrance to blue, no need to waste your ward. If you want to invade just walk with them.

When you're leashing, if you're walking the safe way, may as well stand in the bush to charge headshot.

Early laning Veigar being gone/having no flash is a problem, but the enemies aren't punishing you. Starting at 2:10 you can and should be autoing the wave, especially when Veigar is sitting in the bush zoning. 2:16 especially is a good example of a time when you're under no threat and should be pushing - now is the time to auto minions/q the wave freely.

2:20 is too late, you walk up (further than you need to to hit that ranged minion) while MF is walking up. This means she can hit you while you're csing, and then, since you have no wave, while she does, and you just used your damage ability, while she has two, she can just free hit you all the way back to tower.

At that point, the minions are hitting tower anyway, if you just walk to tower you can cs no problem. Also part of why it's better not to q, because you don't want to mess up the minion hp.

Basically, level 1 bot lane you want to push the wave for level 2. If that's not an option, you have to back off the wave if they hit it first - it will hit tower, so you shouldn't lose xp. In this case it even stopped outside tower range, mostly -- this means you can push just enough to keep it there, which makes the enemy team vulnerable to ganks and means you don't have to even worry about csing under tower.

In general, use your q's more deliberately - a lot of the time it seems like you're either going for kind of random harass, or trying to kill minions that you could just auto down later.

You want to harass the enemy AD when they're about to cs - they're going to stand still to auto, and can't hit back immediately. As Cait, you should also look to harass when your headshot is up -- it's a v foolproof way to win an auto trade. More generally, you want to trade when you have more minions than them, esp more casters.

On Cait in particular, you can use your traps to funnel them into position to get hit - ie, along a wall, next to tower, etc.

Just going through in order, at 2:50 for example you q a cannon at your tower for no reason -- you're going to get it either way, you're just wasting mana/cd!

At 4:50 similarly by q'ing the wave you deny yourself a set of casters by qing them before they hit tower.

Basically, if you're in a spot where you have to play defensively, 1) make sure you don't mess up the cs under tower 2) use abilities intentionally 3) don't fight into minion waves, let them crash and I guess 4) you can still play up when they walk back for no reason etc.

This was going to be a pretty tough early lane either way ofc, and I'm sure there's a lot more later on, but there's a lot to work on just in the first few levels/with basic laning. Definitely work on trap usage to make space, it's a huge part of playing cait effectively.

In general it is important to understand how much a level makes in the difference between your power and the enemies'. Having access to Q W and E is hugely important in actually winning fights, so much so that it's important to keep track after level 3 of what cooldowns your opponents used so you know if you have an advantage if you engage a fight onto them.

very nice i like posted:

also the rumble gank was telegraphed and putting the trap down was only going to guarantee your death. Since you were in his attack range and outside your trap range I would have just kept walking and blown e/flash as desired. in general i'd try to be more aware of my positioning as it relates to enemy spells

this is off topic but i love your avatar, i was recently re-watching JJBA Part 4 and I forgot how much I love Okuyasu

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

what’s the ideal cs for ten minutes? got 89 on my first try on Kled so i think i’ve found a new main (if that’s good. kled is fun)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

what’s the ideal cs for ten minutes?

More than the other guy.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

what’s the ideal cs for ten minutes? got 89 on my first try on Kled so i think i’ve found a new main (if that’s good. kled is fun)

80 cs/10 is the benchmark but in practice it depends on the game economy, in high econ games where you have like shen and sion farming while occasionally slapping each other for 1% of their health before retreating... probably higher. in high kill slugfests, who cares really. compare your wealth relative to the game

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

focus less on farm per minute and focus more on farming correctly, and the farm per minute will follow

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

First promo mid laner leaves right when laning phase starts, doesn't get level 2. We cannot rematch. Second game I lane against a Vladimir and their team has a proactive Xin and we have a farming attack speed (note, not actually good like AP) Shyvana. What can I do solo vs. a Vladimir? I feel like he can dodge all my all ins, harass me to no end, farm even close to my turret etc. I feel quite helpess. Is there some way to punish him in laning phase?

I went PRA, Triumph, Coup, Second wind, Demolish. Attack speed, MR and MR.

EDIT:

Honestly, Could I lose a little less than 40LP at next run if my teammate left before 5 minutes in one of my games? So harsh.

Midig fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 23, 2020

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Midig posted:

First promo mid laner leaves right when laning phase starts, doesn't get level 2. We cannot rematch. Second game I lane against a Vladimir and their team has a proactive Xin and we have a farming attack speed (note, not actually good like AP) Shyvana. What can I do solo vs. a Vladimir? I feel like he can dodge all my all ins, harass me to no end, farm even close to my turret etc. I feel quite helpess. Is there some way to punish him in laning phase?

Vlad has extremely high cooldowns, every time he uses Q understand that he's vulnerable for about 8 seconds and use that time to take a trade or at least zone him off CS. Also when you're about to get a gank try to bait out his pool before the jungler comes because they will invariably throw their engage tool on him immediately and let him get away for free if you dont

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Problem is that Voli also has long QDs unfortunately. Upon looking at that game. I got MR boots thinking that would solve the issue. I honestly think either going spectre cowl before boots or executioners would have been more successful. Maybe even ignite to increase kill pressure. Even if I got no kills I could at least have zoned him out of CS and gotten a lead that way.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I'm a fan of specter's cowl into those kind of matchups but you're more or less conceding winning the lane if you buy it (with the tradeoff of making it very easy to go mostly even) but I feel like voli should be able to win that matchup? Like I don't play voli at all so maybe I'm totally off-base here but the similar champs I play (garen, darius, etc) are either skill matchups or favored vs vlad. I hate to say Get Good but my gut tells me you should be able to beat him just building normally

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Never get hit by the empowered Vladimir Q (when his bar is full)

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Monicro posted:

I'm a fan of specter's cowl into those kind of matchups but you're more or less conceding winning the lane if you buy it (with the tradeoff of making it very easy to go mostly even) but I feel like voli should be able to win that matchup? Like I don't play voli at all so maybe I'm totally off-base here but the similar champs I play (garen, darius, etc) are either skill matchups or favored vs vlad. I hate to say Get Good but my gut tells me you should be able to beat him just building normally

Yeah. I will probably review that game, I just can't tell if it was lack of aggression or too much that lost me the game. That being said I didnt get ganks and their top did and it was a Xin nontheless. That is the nature of top though, sometimes you get really good ganks and you can spread your lead and other games you don't and you got to create pressure anyways.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

pog boyfriend posted:

80 cs/10 is the benchmark but in practice it depends on the game economy, in high econ games where you have like shen and sion farming while occasionally slapping each other for 1% of their health before retreating... probably higher. in high kill slugfests, who cares really. compare your wealth relative to the game

i’m just doing the training tool cs practice so i need a benchmark for how much i should be getting under no pressure. i realize in real games it can depend

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

i’m just doing the training tool cs practice so i need a benchmark for how much i should be getting under no pressure. i realize in real games it can depend

https://leagueoflegends.fandom.com/wiki/Farming (scroll down a bit)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

The blitz app allows you to put a cs overlay on that benchmarks you against a chosen division of play (I think by default its the one above yours)

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Legends of Runeterra beta is up now

edit: I guess if you got your invite from a Rioter? Otherwise tomorrow

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 23, 2020

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Legends of Runeterra beta is up now

Only if you pre-registered, it's still tomorrow if you didn't.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

njsykora posted:

Only if you pre-registered, it's still tomorrow if you didn't.

i preregistered and still no email :argh:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Its not an email now you just download the game and login with your Riot account.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

rabidsquid posted:

i preregistered and still no email :argh:

Try logging in anyway. My account went live before the e-mail came in.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

man, tried to play skarl tonight but three games in a row i get auto filled to jungle or support. so annoying

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

man, tried to play skarl tonight but three games in a row i get auto filled to jungle or support. so annoying

You wouldn't get autofilled three times in a row if you didn't keep dodging, hth :ssh:

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Ornn is so tanky its dumb and my opponents don't all in level 1 for pressure so I just insta win lane.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Monathin posted:

You wouldn't get autofilled three times in a row if you didn't keep dodging, hth :ssh:

what?? i’m not dodging!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

what?? im not dodging!

I mean you literally cannot get autofilled three times in a row if you play out your autofilled game. You literally get a thing that says 'Autofill Protected'.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Midig posted:

Ornn is so tanky its dumb and my opponents don't all in level 1 for pressure so I just insta win lane.

With orn at my terrible ELO (And skill) i've found he can push matches into wins due to the sheer gold advantage and always having an OK lane, I do feel anytime I do amazing on him it's a little harder to capitalise like fiora tho

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Midig posted:

I've been playing some toplane while I get my enthusiasm back for ranked and am blown away by how much damage he does for a tank.

Why doesn't he get taken support? Knock up too unreliable without any other utility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Played some educational normals last night, even if we lost. Thank you Mikujin and pls no bm for teaching me new things every game!