Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
The Maga Trump libtard poo poo that is spewed on there is fascinating. Why bother saying that stuff to your team. If anything, I'll be more likely to note who you are and not help you? Strange people on there. But then I liked the internet much better before it was easy to get on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Because racists live sad lonely lives thinking they can't be punished by shouting racist poo poo in an online game.

I do my part by reporting them following up with anice ram to their rear end. gently caress them.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

airfield is a piece of poo poo.

i've actually warmed up to prok, as long as there's 1 arty or less and everyone's not setting up a tank parking garage the the bottom of the 1 line

i think mines would own if it were like twice the size

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

only time airfield owns is when your arty and get to stay alive the whole game and do 5,000 damage

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Prok is a perfectly reasonable map that is totally ruined by artillery.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Hellsau posted:

Prok is a perfectly reasonable map that is totally ruined by artillery.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Why can't they limit arty to just 1 or 2 per team? 3 is soooo asss.

When did they put in the three per team limit? Or has it always been that way?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

moolchaba posted:

Honestly, it's probably due to people actually wanting to play an SPG instead of sit in a queue for ages.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
why cant they remove it from the game instead?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Slaapaav posted:

Seriously save me before I go down that road. :(

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Slaapaav posted:

This would be best

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Honestly, it's probably due to people actually wanting to play an SPG instead of sit in a queue for ages.

if this were the case maybe they would stop playing and we would naturally get the above

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Having to wait 2 minutes for a battle instead of 30 seconds should be the price you pay if you want to freely click on tanks with no repercussions

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Slaapaav posted:

Because more people play arty than want it completely banned.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

moolchaba posted:

It used to be unlimited, and there were occasionally hilarious games with 13-14 arti and 1-2 other tanks per side. Then it was limited to 5 per side, then 3 per
side.

Artillery needed to be removed from the game in 2013 when it was clear it could not be balanced.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

probably the 2nd best thing armored warfare did with arty was the pinging system they added. The best thing they did with arty was just removing it from the pvp game and keeping it to pve. Probably the only two good decisions they ever made.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

That was actually a terrible decision - AW also needed to just remove it, because it was not able to be balanced. In PvP, you would light up for enemy artillery when you fired, meaning the correct play was to wait to CB, kill the enemy artillery, and then your team got all the advantages. Obviously that's stupid, so they pushed artillery into PvE only, which was terrible because PvE was 5 players versus a bunch of AI, and artillery was terrible meaning it was just automatically 4 players versus the same number of AI.

e: oh wait, wasn't there like a series of equipment/skills/boosts that just allowed your arti to fire like every 2 second or some poo poo? lol what a shitshow of a game

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Hellsau posted:

It used to be unlimited, and there were occasionally hilarious games with 13-14 arti and 1-2 other tanks per side. Then it was limited to 5 per side, then 3 per
side.

Artillery needed to be removed from the game in 2013 when it was clear it could not be balanced.

FV304 is unironically the only balanced arty in the game. Having to actually move around the map to get in range of people while trying to stay unspotted is much better gameplay for everyone involved than the current sitting in the corner thing they all do.

Edit: Alternatively the way it's done in frontlines is pretty good, just have it as a consumable you can buy for like 20k.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Hellsau posted:

e: oh wait, wasn't there like a series of equipment/skills/boosts that just allowed your arti to fire like every 2 second or some poo poo? lol what a shitshow of a game

You could stack reload bonuses with equipment and one of the commanders I think and then one of the arties had some crazy rate of fire so it was basically a leFH (But with huge splash)

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Mesadoram posted:

How in the gently caress did they let this slip by?

Yeah really. Game just doxx'd my first name. Thanks WG. :rolleyes:

On another subject: Im about to go back into low tiers to try and grind out an Arty. Was really leaning on Germany so I can give it really obnoxious paint jobs as I click on people. I know Arty is hated and believe me I do too. But what are some of your recommendations besides 'dont'.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

USA has the best T9 arty and UK has the best T10 arty imo

with proposed changes of adding AP back to arty maybe the russian one will be gibbing people again.

I personally love the french arty but everyone hates it and the german one is like trying to be some weird middle ground but doesn't work out.

2Jets
Apr 25, 2010

You're gonna get no tip
The first time I played arty I didn't know about the shift key to enter overhead view. I wouldn't have ever played it again if the missions didn't reward it. If you're doing missions the tier 6 and tier 9 American SPGs are the easiest ones to use. The 279e missions probably require a German and Russian SPG.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Yeah I was hoping I could lean away from USA as my brother already has the tier 9. And I like to be different. Not saying I will not consider USA, it's my own game and I can do whatever I want but I also like variety.

E- I also want to avoid U.S.S.R for obvious reasons. I have way too many soviet tanks.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
As badlama stated, I would avoid the german line entirely. The gwpanther used to be an amazing piece of work but then wargaming added the 53/55 which does the gwpanther's gimmick but with an actual gun attached to it.

The brits match the US at t10 with similar splash so the splash multiple tanks missions are easier to do with it. However, you also have that long reload to work with. And besides that, the brits bounce around a bit on being fun and a slave work on a tier by tier basis. For example, depending on your view, the fv304 is both an amazing vehicle and also a painful vehicle due to the very short range of its shells. But also amazing because that reload will absolutely hammer and destroy people if left to its devices (and also nearly drops the shells vertically).

The french arty is my personal favorite as well, but I'm going to acknowledge here that it is definitely a more advanced play arty compared to the others. This is because they have the smallest guns at tier with the gimmick being rapid mobility. Something that seems pointless with arty until you get into advanced game play where you realize it allows you to relocate more forward as the front pushes up on a specific flank giving you shots into the sides of the other flank breaking the stalemate or slowing down the enemy push there.

Finally, the russians have this weird gambit for going 203mm early and sticking to it. Then dropping off a notch to a smaller gun at t10. It is decently accurate, but not as accurate as the french. Like wise, the chassis is fairly mobile, but not french mobile. But your gun is still able to work against the front of tanks which the french struggle more with. Prior to the addition of the french and brit arty, the 261 was considered the rapid move and rapid fire option. The gw-e100 was the middle ground but used to have sideskirts that allowed it to weather near misses from counter battery better than the other arty. Meanwhile, the t92 was the fairly mobile (more than the gw-e100 anyway) slow reload, high alpha and splash option. Note that the gw-e100 was implemented into the game BEFORE the e-100 was actually implemented. Why it never got the full e-100 hull upgrade after all these years to help it stand out some, I'll never know. Including I don't think it has the skirts gimmick anymore.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

russian arty is a easy grind if you already got a KV-2 but american is the way to go cause you can stop at tier 9 and have the Best Arty, also you get to play the M44 which is disgusting

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Fat Jesus posted:

russian arty is a easy grind if you already got a KV-2 but american is the way to go cause you can stop at tier 9 and have the Best Arty, also you get to play the M44 which is disgusting

This is what I'm using, the one after the kv2. It's awful to drive around but I've had fun making other tanks stop for minutes at a time.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BadLlama posted:

Having to wait 2 minutes for a battle instead of 30 seconds should be the price you pay if you want to freely click on tanks with no repercussions

honestly salty whining like this just makes it more appealing lol

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've always found artillery incredibly boring to play as well as compete against, which makes having it in the game a lose-lose scenario. The only arty I've ever really loved is the British Fv304, which is a weird mix between arty and tank hunter. Fingers crossed for the tier8 premium version (Fv305) to be on sale soon...

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Flayer posted:

I've always found artillery incredibly boring to play as well as compete against, which makes having it in the game a lose-lose scenario. The only arty I've ever really loved is the British Fv304, which is a weird mix between arty and tank hunter. Fingers crossed for the tier8 premium version (Fv305) to be on sale soon...

I had to look this up. This is a premium on the console version of the game. There are many tanks they have that either has never (and will never) be added to the pc version. Or have been removed because of how straight up broken they are.

Examples: https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/encyclopedia/vehicles/germany/G98_Waffentrager_E100/
That tank was straight removed for the grille 15. And will never come back. I'm sure someone here will gladly show off the gif of one killing a full health maus with one clip. This was in the days when armor still had some value and maus had the highest hp in the game.

https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/encyclopedia/vehicles/usa/A801_PzVIB_Tiger_II/
This is a tier 7 on pc.

https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/encyclopedia/vehicles/usa/A12_T32/
If upgraded to the t32e2, the 105mm gun has a pen of 218mm. Every pc player will tell you that is exactly what that gun needs for the t32. Because it currently still has 198mm pen just like the t29. Which is not fun for a tank that regularly sees t10s.

https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/encyclopedia/vehicles/merc/
And then there is this mess. Like, https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/encyclopedia/vehicles/merc/MRC53_Trinity_MKII/
wtf (it is a t-44-100 with the t26e4 turret installed)

Edit: Just to clear up here, I WANT a t8 premium arty for frontlines. That is why I looked it up as this was the first mention I'd seen of such a thing.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 24, 2020

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Holy poo poo, the console devs sure smoke the good stuff.

Like, can we get some of this too?

https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/1-1-matchmaking-loaded-dice-event/

Crazyeyes24 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 24, 2020

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Holy poo poo, the console devs sure smoke the good stuff.

Like, can we get some of this too?

https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/1-1-matchmaking-loaded-dice-event/
Haha, that is awesome. Time to roll out the Super Pershing, park it face first at the reds and laugh at people firing infinite rounds into the spaced armour at the front because it shows up as penetratable.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

1v1 lets go

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

bring back all chat

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Wow that is actually kind of off the rails for WG status quo

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
1 on 1

Artillery knife-fight.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Sexton 1's only

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
My favorite knife fight is the one where you're rolling around in a kv2 with the derp and you see...

*SPOTTED*

You lurch out of the way from the corner you were approaching.

A Kv-2 rumbles forward, blows his wad, and you give chase.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Gah. Got a lot of mixed reactions from the feedback. At least I still have time to decide. I do appreciate everyone's knowledge so I am definitely not going down Germany and France. USA and U.S.S.R is back on the menu, and I am still hating myself on wanting to play Arty.

At least we will be seeing more double barrels very soon. My Obj 703 II is hungry for them. :getin:

E- Oh TS-5 and LT-432 are on sale with some cool as hell looking camo from the event. Both tanks I praise highly on the vehicles being pay to win. TS-5 you can play crazy Ivan and push hard in a front only position while rapid firing shells. And the LT-432 can spot and see like an eagle. If you do not have those tanks and have money burning a hole in your wallet the $54 dollar price of admission is, like always, up to you. Just keep in mind doing crazy poo poo on those tanks happen a lot more than it's tech tree counterparts.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 25, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

http://wotreplays.eu/site/5200845#serene_coast-mariuslecter-progetto_m35_mod_46

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BadLlama posted:

1v1 lets go

theres no arty on blitz and i dont have console anymore or a pc at all

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

also yeah the console has all kinds of cool poo poo that got tantrumed out of the pc game

e: although bear in mind the stats on those are probably not the same as they were in the pc game at the time they got axed. the console devs seem more dedicated to keeping & rebalancing stuff instead of dropping it

the captured kv1 hasn't been on sale for a real long time though iirc

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 25, 2020