Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would go with envelopes.

For the savings I would put it in an online only account with no atm/debit card. Make sure he understands you only can take money out 6 times per month. If he has to transfer it to chase or whatever it will take a few days and he can think of it is still money worth spending. Setup an auto deposit from his check if possible for $200 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I like the envelopes idea. Need to talk with him to understand how he gets his paycheck and what he uses to pay for things like rent. Not sure if he has a bank account or if it's straight cash homie.

Just to be clear, I fully understand that this is probably futile, and that he has problems that are beyond my ability to solve. I'm just taking a shot here and hoping at least some of it sticks.

Thanks for the advice!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dy. posted:

I like the envelopes idea. Need to talk with him to understand how he gets his paycheck and what he uses to pay for things like rent. Not sure if he has a bank account or if it's straight cash homie.

Just to be clear, I fully understand that this is probably futile, and that he has problems that are beyond my ability to solve. I'm just taking a shot here and hoping at least some of it sticks.

Thanks for the advice!

To be clear, by doing this you are very likely to be blamed for the inevitable failure of such an endeavor.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

dy. posted:

maaaaaaaybe he will be one step closer to being able to consistently feed himself.

This is none of my business and I don't know your relationship at all, but has he ever actually reached the point of Empty Stomach, Empty Bank Account or is that when he typically gets a family bail out?

I had a family member who always needed Emergency Money until we stopped giving it to her and suddenly she learned how to budget.

I'm not saying you're an enabler, just that a rumbling stomach can be a GREAT economics instructor.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This is none of my business and I don't know your relationship at all, but has he ever actually reached the point of Empty Stomach, Empty Bank Account or is that when he typically gets a family bail out?
He has lived in a truck under a bridge for a year or so, amongst other things. Untreated mental health and drug issues abound. My parents sometimes, but not always, bail him out (likely more than they should). I do not. He has definitely reached the point of Empty Stomach many times in his life.

It's fair to question whether this effort is worthwhile at all, but I don't think helping him build a budget is enabling him.

This is the first time in his life that he's shown really any serious effort to start his own independent life (move to Florida, the best place to make smart life decisions). He doesn't really have the life skills to do it right now. I'm trying to help him build those life skills. This particular thing lands in the middle of the venn diagram of "things that might possibly help" and "things that he is at least somewhat willing to try" so I want to at least give a shot. I don't have a lot to work with here.

I understand that there are many other things that he should do to make his life better and I only wish there was a way for me to make him do them.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 23, 2020

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Maybe he'll get the Jesus bug and onea them 'Financial and Spiritual Wellness' churches will take him in and set him straight?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dy. posted:

Untreated mental health and drug issues abound.

Narrator's voice: they were related

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I think a big question would be does he want to get financially healthier and on a budget? Envelopes and YNAB are great for people who want to get better at managing their money, but some folks are just content with drifting paycheck to paycheck.

You can buy someone a weight set, but if they don't want to get in better shape it'll sit unused.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

:allears:

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Congratulations on your house, I hope!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

drive me nuts to school posted:

Congratulations on your house, I hope!

If a house looks like a used GT3 Cup car, ya

It was a house :smith:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

drive me nuts to school posted:

Congratulations on your house, horse I hope!

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

I wouldn't wish a horse on my worst enemies.

BlackMK4 posted:

Welcome to the shackles homecarownership! Please enjoy constant homecar improvement projects you were never planning on and frustrating, surprise maintenance issues for the rest of your life!

Fezziwig fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 13, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BlackMK4 posted:

you can live in a gt3 cup but you can't drive a house, checkmate house-havers

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

BlackMK4 posted:

Those money pits look nice at the end of a driveway, but the maintenance is insane and you don't know what kind of abuse it suffered from the previous owner.

Should've bought the used GT3 instead.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Those money pits look nice at the end of a driveway, but the maintenance is insane and you don't know what kind of abuse it suffered from the previous owner.

Should've bought the used GT3 instead.

I've observed a shitton of crossover between AI DIY and BFC, so this isn't new to a lot of folks, but one need look no further than kastein's House of Theseus

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Otis Reddit posted:

Maybe he'll get the Jesus bug and onea them 'Financial and Spiritual Wellness' churches will take him in and set him straight?

Picking up on this idea that this is about motivation more than math...

It might be worth sending him some Dave Ramsey or similar call in clips of people in desperate straights to help him understand why this is worth doing. If he wasn’t computer illiterate I’d have him read old zuarg threads or something. Even if he’s not likely to use YNAB, some of the YNAB tutorials on what life is like with a budget might help create a picture of why this is worth aspiring to.

If you do go envelope, a simple paper worksheet will help.

Ramsey has one. You might need to adapt it, print it off and mail it.
https://cdn.ramseysolutions.net/media/pdf/forms/fpu-budgeting-forms.pdf
Here’s another.
https://www.vertex42.com/Files/pdfs/2/zero-based-budget-worksheet.pdf

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Beach Bum posted:

I've observed a shitton of crossover between AI DIY and BFC, so this isn't new to a lot of folks, but one need look no further than kastein's House of Theseus

Dear god, I've never seen this thread before. :lol:

Y'all are right, shoulda bought the car. :rip:

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I have a dumb question. I'd like to buy a house in the next 9 - 12 months, but I'm not 100% set on it. I have half a years gross pay sitting in my 0.01% savings because I'm lazy. What should I do with this? Money market savings account?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Canna Happy posted:

I have a dumb question. I'd like to buy a house in the next 9 - 12 months, but I'm not 100% set on it. I have half a years gross pay sitting in my 0.01% savings because I'm lazy. What should I do with this? Money market savings account?
High yield savings account like Ally or Marcus or one of those. Extremely easy to set up and have it transferred over. Interest rates are 1.6%+.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is there a thread where I can ask how to deal with having my business close and/or go bankrupt?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

taqueso posted:

Is there a thread where I can ask how to deal with having my business close and/or go bankrupt?

A business you own, or a business you work for?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I own it. I want things to go smoothly, I want to make sure my employees can get unemployment etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

taqueso posted:

You just need an attorney to walk you through the wind down procedures in your corporate documents. It shouldn't cost too much, but they will want payment in advance. :v:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Not sure where I should ask this, so if there's a better spot, yell at me. The other disclosure is there might not be a tidy answer to this question.

Any recommended etiquette and ethics on accepting a contract extension at a future date, but then ultimately giving notice and quitting before the extension kicks in? Outside of the contract specific stuff, I guess.

Details: My work has been jerking me around with four month contract extensions and I want out for a job that 1) sucks less and 2) let's me plan my life a year at a time. My current contract ends at the end of April, and my new one would be for the May-August months. My deadline for accepting it is tomorrow. Ideally, I would like to not be doing this loving job over the summer, but also I like not being broke, so I'd do it in a pinch if I couldn't find other acceptable work. The contract specifies giving a month notice if you want to quit, but I found the language relating to that section as assuming that the contract had already started (as opposed to cancelling it before the start date), so I was kinda confused about what would happen if you wanted out before that.

My parents advised me to just accept it and then continue to look for work and give notice as usual if if I found something. That would be the most convenient for me, but my (possibily overly worried intuition) is that it would be a mega dick move. I don't wanna burn bridges and sometimes my parents give bad advice cause they're out of touch boomers used to being in jobs higher on the totem pole than me. On the other hand, my direct boss was pretty supportive of me taking a while to get back to them on whether I accept it or not -- we had agreed that I could give her a commitment sometime in mid-March, then the earlier deadline thing was imposed by outside powers.

Mid-post update: while I was writing this, I went to look at the contract details to double check em and it looks like the offer actually expired today. FFS. My interpretation of "expires Feb 23" would be that the online portal to accept would still be active on the 23rd, but I disgress. Anyways, so now I'm in the position of having to ask them to resend the offer, accepting it, and then knowing that the only reason I would actually still be around by then would be because of a worst case scenario in my job hunt. Sick.

Any thoughts? I figure I'm mostly just venting here.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

CRISPYBABY posted:

Not sure where I should ask this, so if there's a better spot, yell at me. The other disclosure is there might not be a tidy answer to this question.

Any recommended etiquette and ethics on accepting a contract extension at a future date, but then ultimately giving notice and quitting before the extension kicks in? Outside of the contract specific stuff, I guess.

Details: My work has been jerking me around with four month contract extensions and I want out for a job that 1) sucks less and 2) let's me plan my life a year at a time. My current contract ends at the end of April, and my new one would be for the May-August months. My deadline for accepting it is tomorrow. Ideally, I would like to not be doing this loving job over the summer, but also I like not being broke, so I'd do it in a pinch if I couldn't find other acceptable work. The contract specifies giving a month notice if you want to quit, but I found the language relating to that section as assuming that the contract had already started (as opposed to cancelling it before the start date), so I was kinda confused about what would happen if you wanted out before that.

My parents advised me to just accept it and then continue to look for work and give notice as usual if if I found something. That would be the most convenient for me, but my (possibily overly worried intuition) is that it would be a mega dick move. I don't wanna burn bridges and sometimes my parents give bad advice cause they're out of touch boomers used to being in jobs higher on the totem pole than me. On the other hand, my direct boss was pretty supportive of me taking a while to get back to them on whether I accept it or not -- we had agreed that I could give her a commitment sometime in mid-March, then the earlier deadline thing was imposed by outside powers.

Mid-post update: while I was writing this, I went to look at the contract details to double check em and it looks like the offer actually expired today. FFS. My interpretation of "expires Feb 23" would be that the online portal to accept would still be active on the 23rd, but I disgress. Anyways, so now I'm in the position of having to ask them to resend the offer, accepting it, and then knowing that the only reason I would actually still be around by then would be because of a worst case scenario in my job hunt. Sick.

Any thoughts? I figure I'm mostly just venting here.

“poo poo, Sandra, I forgot to hit the accept button in the online portal, can you put the offer back up?”

Also if you’re in the US you can walk away from work any time you feel like. What are they gonna do, fire you?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

“poo poo, Sandra, I forgot to hit the accept button in the online portal, can you put the offer back up?”

Also if you’re in the US you can walk away from work any time you feel like. What are they gonna do, fire you?

Contracts are different. We have a liquidated damages clause if one of our contractors decides to skip without giving s 30-day.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah I'd still be giving notice regardless so it's not like I'd be up and leaving.

I'm probably just overthinking the poo poo outta this and I'll ask em to sign it tomorrow.

If/when I walk I'm gonna laugh when they put up a job posting for a year long position to replace me. gently caress em.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I assume both contracts have the same 30 day notice period and it doesn't say it is from the start of the contract. Give notice and spell out it's for both contracts.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I lurk a lot of BFC threads, and it’s funny to see the huge spike in posting when there’s a downturn. Meanwhile, I’m chillin in my index funds not giving a gently caress. Cheers to the rest of the bogle bros.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

DNK posted:

I lurk a lot of BFC threads, and it’s funny to see the huge spike in posting when there’s a downturn. Meanwhile, I’m chillin in my index funds not giving a gently caress. Cheers to the rest of the bogle bros.

Indeed. I actually bought more.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

Indeed. I actually bought more.

Me too, topped off the last bit of my 2019 IRA this morning. Feeling really good about it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Apples and oranges, but three last three posts could be from a Bitcoin forum and nobody could tell the difference. :v:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Haha. Well I didn't buy Bitcoin.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

Apples and oranges, but three last three posts could be from a Bitcoin forum and nobody could tell the difference. :v:

Right you are. In my defense I top off the previous year’s IRA every year after I get my tax refund, which happened to come in Tuesday.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
Company offered me a job on Monday, but they said its pending HR approval, and they need 3 references. I start in two weeks.
I said I accept, here are the references. My references let me know they got called. Its now about to be Thursday and I haven't heard from the company. I haven't given my 2 weeks notice to my current job yet, because I never received an official job offer.

Should I email them asking if they will send offical offer letter... or what do I do now? Just continue to wait?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Yes. Communicate. Make sure the hiring manager knows what’s up. Call / email them directly.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

SA Forums Poster posted:

Company offered me a job on Monday, but they said its pending HR approval, and they need 3 references. I start in two weeks.
I said I accept, here are the references. My references let me know they got called. Its now about to be Thursday and I haven't heard from the company. I haven't given my 2 weeks notice to my current job yet, because I never received an official job offer.

Should I email them asking if they will send offical offer letter... or what do I do now? Just continue to wait?
Yeah, they want you. They're not going to tank the deal because you're a little forward in getting the ball rolling.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
So between the corona virus, the 737 max, and the stock market seemingly imitating the latter because of the former there is a non-zero chance that I will be furloughed from my job as a pilot in the next few months. Does anyone have advice for what to do if there's a decent chance you'll be unemployed for 6-12 months? I have enough savings to last 12 months without having to touch my rainy day fund but that's without having to pay for my own health insurance.

For now I'm planning on picking up some extra shifts at work and limiting all unnecessary spending which will have the added benefit of boosting my savings if I manage to keep my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you feel that's a real possibility then yeah, stack in all the cash you can and cut spending as if you've already lost your income.

How severely and soon you need to do this has a lot with how quickly you think you can get replacement income/back off of furlough.