Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

I'd rather watch attack of the clones than nemesis.

I'd rather watch AOTC a dozen or more times than Nemesis.

As evidence I submit the fact that I have, in fact, already done exactly this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I actually quite enjoyed AOTC more or less because it has the most big action sequences of the prequels that I can recall. It's fun watching the clone troopers in action.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just watched Attack of the Clones on Saturday and actually liked it a lot. The Anakin/Padme stuff I hated before I really liked this time around because it was so reminiscent of old screwball romantic comedies from the 1940s I've really grown to enjoy watching in Turner Classic movies. And Anakin is such an insufferable little poo poo it actually wrapped back around to charming for me. Padme has the best wardrobe in the whole series and it's not even close and Natalie Portman just looks god drat amazing. Dooku easily kicking the poo poo out of Anakin and Obi Wan ruled, he told them exactly what was happening, tried to warn them he would really beat the poo poo out of them, and then did. All the C-3P0 stuff was hilarious.

Also Anakin is so loving emo it's impressive a 60 year old billionaire wrote him. He's the most emo character, more emo than anything in Twilight.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 23, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I actually quite enjoyed AOTC more or less because it has the most big action sequences of the prequels that I can recall. It's fun watching the clone troopers in action.

Just watch the clone episodes of Clone Wars instead of something bad.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The droid factory/3PO capers is probably the worst part of the movie for me, it feels like it goes on forever and the best joke (“machines making machines!”) is right at the start so it’s all downhill. All the same,

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'd rather watch AOTC a dozen or more times than Nemesis.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I enjoyed the first episode of Picard more than I did both seasons of Discovery combined. I'm hoping that despite it being on the same network and having the same showrunner they will avoid all the mistakes that made Discovery absolute garbage.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

HD DAD posted:

Nemesis, but they drop the whole Tom Hardy young clone thing, and have Patrick Stewart play his own clone.

That alone would have bumped it up a few points. And I like Tom Hardy.

Tom Hardy would also prefer this. His experiences on Nemesis almost made him quit acting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kibayasu posted:

Just watch the clone episodes of Clone Wars instead of something bad.

I watched a bunch of those back in the day, shortly after watching AotC, and i'm happily not revisiting either.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Doctor posted:

Tom Hardy would also prefer this. His experiences on Nemesis almost made quit living.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Dammit I wasn't trying to start a Star Wars derail, the line must be drawn here!

Just pretend I said some other dumb movie you hate

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

HD DAD posted:

Nemesis, but they drop the whole Tom Hardy young clone thing, and have Patrick Stewart play his own clone.

That alone would have bumped it up a few points. And I like Tom Hardy.

It's weird, how when Hardy's character first appears, they do a big dramatic stepping out of the shadows moment, like it's going to be a big reveal - but, of course, they have to then explain in dialogue what's meant to be going on because he doesn't actually look like a young Patrick Stewart.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

*music swells*

"It is I... Uh... Who am I playing again?"

*the director frantically leafs through the script*

"Uh... Wait, we figured this out last rewrite. Riker, junior I'm pretty sure is where we landed."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's a whole subforum to post about Star Wars that ain't our precious Star Trek thread :qq:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

skasion posted:

The droid factory/3PO capers is probably the worst part of the movie for me, it feels like it goes on forever and the best joke (“machines making machines!”) is right at the start so it’s all downhill. All the same,

That entire sequence was written, as I recall, because they were around two weeks ahead of schedule, so Lucas wrote it in. I know a lot of Star Wars works well as a video game, but holy poo poo did that scene really feel like I should had had a manual steering column controller in my hand.

SCheeseman posted:

If they bring back John de Lancie it'll be on the last episode where Picard dies.

Q: We're getting too old for this, mon capitaine.
Picard: I'm not a captain anymore, and I thought you said you were immortal.
Q: Don't ruin the moment, Jean-Luc.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sticking by my suggestion that it turns out Q just casually hangs out with Picard all the time now, drinking wine and shooting the poo poo.

And/or turns out they're married.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

I'm sticking by my suggestion that it turns out Q just casually hangs out with Picard all the time now, drinking wine and shooting the poo poo.

And/or turns out they're married.

Turns out, he’s married to a Q, played by Ian McKellan, and DeLancie Q is livid.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Angry Salami posted:

It's weird, how when Hardy's character first appears, they do a big dramatic stepping out of the shadows moment, like it's going to be a big reveal - but, of course, they have to then explain in dialogue what's meant to be going on because he doesn't actually look like a young Patrick Stewart.

I had a good laugh at the part where Dr. Crusher is scanning whatever it was that the super weapon had.

Paraphrasing:

Someone: What did you find doctor?

*Operatic music rising with tension *

Crusher: I've analysed the sample Jean Luc....

*Music rises and hits crazy crescendo as we are prepared for a big reveal*

Crusher: it's thanian radiation.

*Pregnant pause and general silence as Crusher stares. Eventually the film realises that no one in the audience knows what that means*

Crusher: Oh, It's a compound that could kill everyone on this ship and an entire planet.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
*weary, overwrought sigh*

I wish I didn't remember the film well enough to say this... but it's thaleron radiation. :eng99:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Thanor radiation only kills half of all life in your ship and planet

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I wish I didn't remember the film well enough to say this... but it's thaleron radiation. :eng99:

*sigh of a broken man*

It's ... thalaron radiation.

:suicide:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Why do we do this to ourselves

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I assume that's spelling-- US/UK (United federation of planets/united kingdom of planets)

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's "Hey Dalaron" radiation and it causes Ventrilo Harassments

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

CPColin posted:

It's "Hey Dalaron" radiation and it causes Ventrilo Harassments

This was a deep and good cut, I'm bleeding happily

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Timby posted:

*sigh of a broken man*

Also, it was Geordi, not Dr. Crusher who discovered it :colbert:

drat I've seen that movie way more than I should have. In my defence, it was one of the first DVD's I owned, and we didn't own that many.

It was either that, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, or Mission to Mars.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Tighclops posted:

This was a deep and good cut, I'm bleeding happily

:tipshat: Always feels good when somebody immediately catches a weird reference like that!

For reference (early 2000's gamer slur warning)

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Timby posted:

*sigh of a broken man*

Post your favorite Chakotay quotes ITT.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Haha phew wow I'm so glad the first episode of Picard is good, gently caress I don't have to kill myself and all you now

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

CPColin posted:

:tipshat: Always feels good when somebody immediately catches a weird reference like that!

For reference (early 2000's gamer slur warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AjMfNEp9T4

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

The_Doctor posted:

Turns out, he’s married to a Q, played by Ian McKellan, and DeLancie Q is livid.

*pushes up glasses* uh, excuse me, SIR, but Q would marry Janeway and would keep Picard as his side piece i believe this is Trek CANON, furthermore

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Spoilers, Q is the dog.
End of season cliffhanger has his pitbull turn around and go 'Mon Captain' just seconds before the DataBorg's quantum torpedo hits.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

happyhippy posted:

Spoilers, Q is the dog.
End of season cliffhanger has his pitbull turn around and go 'Mon Captain' just seconds before the DataBorg's quantum torpedo hits.

stop it. i can only get so hard

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Doggles posted:

Post your favorite Chakotay quotes ITT.

"A-koo-chee-moya"

That is all.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

*sigh of a broken man*

This is a... this is a black day for baseball Star Trek trivia, folks.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

Spoilers, Q is the dog.

“Jean-Luc, don’t you see? You never left my, dare I say expertly constricted, heaven. You’re still laying there on Doctor Crusher’s operating table, with her trying jumpstart your artificial heart once again. Oh! I think they’ve got it ticking again. That’s unfortunate - but there will be more opportunities for us to meet. Au revoir!”

*picard immediately gets cancelled*

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So quick googling for what I maybe should watch for Picard that I haven't watched already (I've watched TNG with a viewing guide and started earlier on DS9 but took a break from it):

TNG: Datalore (I guess this introduces Lore?)
TNG: The Offspring

Voyager: Scorpion parts 1&2 and Unimatrix Parts 1&2
Star Trek: Nemesis

I'm honestly thinking of starting with the Voyager episodes just to...see how Voyager is. Is the show impenetrable if I haven't watched any of it before? I only have memories that yes, this is a show that existed when I was a child because I kinda remember the captain existing. I know Nemesis is considered franchise ending or something but, hey, it's a film and I barely remember a single Star Trek film. I'll probably finish with the TNG episodes because honestly I've had my fill of that series for a while after "finishing" it.

I'll continue slowly with DS9 when I'm in the mood. For what it's worth it legimately seems like a better show than TNG from the get-go - I honestly had no idea it was widely considered to be the better show until I was almost finished with TNG - I just knew it was supposedly a Babylon 5 rip-off - which I haven't watched either to be fair.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 24, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dessel posted:

So quick googling for what I maybe should watch for Picard that I haven't watched already (I've watched TNG with a viewing guide and started earlier on DS9 but took a break from it):

TNG: Datalore (I guess this introduces Lore?)
TNG: The Offspring

This is a quick three minute recap:

https://tinyurl.com/y6byxmp8

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It’s not the space show that everyone’s focusing on right now, but Avenue 5 has a plot that’s surprisingly close to Star Trek: Voyager’s, and Ethan Phillips is also in it, and he’s kind of playing a version of what Neelix should have been.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I kinda feel like I’ve missed something. I thought Picard was airing today. I expected reviews galore and certainly commentary by you lot, but all I see is doom-saying by right wing fringe assholes on YouTube. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lordshmee posted:

I kinda feel like I’ve missed something. I thought Picard was airing today. I expected reviews galore and certainly commentary by you lot, but all I see is doom-saying by right wing fringe assholes on YouTube. What gives?

Other thread