Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Thanks to Twitter I’m watching Asian people eat live baby rats, bats in soup, etc.

The rat says squee posted:

Wuhan Flu Ain't Nuttin ta gently caress Wit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bat soup huh.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
looks yum

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Fluhan Clan coming to get you

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Bardeh posted:

looks yum

That bat looks smug.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Washington Post posted:

As the uncertainty continued, Guan, the virologist who identified SARS, offered a chilling perspective on the outbreak.

“I’ve seen it all: bird flu, SARS, influenza A, swine fever and the rest. But the Wuhan pneumonia makes me feel extremely powerless,” he told Caixin. “Most of the past epidemics were controllable, but this time, I’m petrified.”

Hmm.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Rad-daddio posted:

That bat looks smug.
It shut down a city of eleven million, it's got the right to be smug.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I’m excited for Crawfish season which is basically the same thing as what’s grossing out you guys.

Though I haven’t heard of any virus jumping from boiled ditch lobster to humans.

Edit: I hope those videos are just drunks. Jesus.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

christmas boots posted:

I'm not going to burn down a Chinese dude's house because he might carry the mysterious Asian virus. If I'm going to die at least I'll die not-racist.

You are a brave, and not racist, person.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

christmas boots posted:

Yesterday morning I saw my neighbor outside the building unloading luggage from a taxi. He goes to China on a semi-regular basis so he may have just been there. China's pretty decently sized and I don't remember which part he goes to so it's possible he's not infected, but realistically how much time to I have to live?

You're on the Something Awful forums.

You've been dead for years. Weighed down by the very posts you forged in life.

gluehuffer69
Jan 16, 2020

by Lowtax
What are Chinese people doing to birds and pigs that other countries are not for things like this to always originate there.

I mean you can't even say third world hygiene standards because this doesn't originate in India, South America, or African countries.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Bukkake

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1220476358826119168?s=20

It’s NBD don’t worry.

Ignore the people dropping dead in the streets.

Honestly though how much pressure do we think China has over the WHO? There is no way China wants this blowing up so it’s absolutely in their best interest to do everything they can do downplay it.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

It shut down a city of eleven million, it's got the right to be smug.

8 cities now...and about 35 million?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

gluehuffer69 posted:

What are Chinese people doing to birds and pigs that other countries are not for things like this to always originate there.

I mean you can't even say third world hygiene standards because this doesn't originate in India, South America, or African countries.

Google each place 'X outbreak'.
There was an outbreak of the Nipah virus last year in India that killed a few hundred.
Remember the Zika Virus from South America 4 years ago.
And Ebola in Africa just before the Zika one.

This is the quinquennial (word for once every 5 years) OMFG FREAK THE gently caress OUT the media does to keep bums on seats watching them.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 24, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My concern is Ebola and a lot of the other poo poo was in smaller population areas, and did Bird flu have people dropping in the streets and this reaction from China? I got my vaccinations so I’m good I hope.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
it's worth noting that one of the only ways you get admitted to the hospital without having to bribe half of the staff in China is to fall over and cause a scene like that so while I don't doubt that these people are very sick it's important to remember there's a reason why they're not just walking to the hospital before they fall over.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Burt Sexual posted:

My concern is Ebola and a lot of the other poo poo was in smaller population areas, and did Bird flu have people dropping in the streets and this reaction from China? I got my vaccinations so I’m good I hope.

scuttlebutt i keep hearing is that this particular virus jumped from snakes so i seriously doubt any vaccinations would be effective against it if that's true.

that said, this is still a very low-lethality disease by all measures that have been coming out. the deaths are among the very young, very old, and immunocompromised.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1220476358826119168?s=20

It’s NBD don’t worry.

Ignore the people dropping dead in the streets.

Honestly though how much pressure do we think China has over the WHO? There is no way China wants this blowing up so it’s absolutely in their best interest to do everything they can do downplay it.

A lot. The WHO had a bunch of positive stuff to say about traditional Chinese medicine last year. TCM is, at best, placebo. At worst, it’s straight up poison. Most of it isn’t even traditional, it’s a bunch of stuff that was made up in the 50s.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

A lot. The WHO had a bunch of positive stuff to say about traditional Chinese medicine last year. TCM is, at best, placebo. At worst, it’s straight up poison. Most of it isn’t even traditional, it’s a bunch of stuff that was made up in the 50s.

Yeah that is what I figured. I remember them endorsing the TCM poo poo too.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Rad-daddio posted:

That's scary. Hope it's not real.

The ambulance says Suizhou City which is 100 miles from Wuhan, and the red decorations on the overpass look pretty chinese new years-y to me.

An ambulance later in the same video says Wuhan.

I dunno if it helps if you cant read any chinese but the characters for WUHAN are kind of distinctive and simple, especially the second character HAN

It's got a lot of white space, no dense strokes or grid-looking elements, no parallel lines.

If you're trying to figure whether a video on twitter or something is actually Wuhan, look for that character.

Chinese syntax is similar to english in that the name of a place comes at the start, like "Wuhan No1 Hospital" as opposed to "N1 Hospital of Wuhan" so you'll always see the 武汉 characters at the start of names for things.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 24, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hakimashou posted:

The ambulance says Suizhou City which is 100 miles from Wuhan

Wtf it can drive now??

We are hosed.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
number go up

https://twitter.com/BBCBweaking/status/1220507308683296769

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
You know Stephen King is going to rake it in.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

That's a really dumb gimmick.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

3% fatality rate

If one billion people catch it, 30 million will die.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

i am harry posted:

8 cities now...and about 35 million?

That's like quarantining Canada lmao

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
it's like they never watched the crazies

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

If I took off their mask, would they die?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1220...ve-news-updates

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Oh poo poo, first bat soup and now the isopods

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hakimashou posted:

The ambulance says Suizhou City which is 100 miles from Wuhan, and the red decorations on the overpass look pretty chinese new years-y to me.

An ambulance later in the same video says Wuhan.

I dunno if it helps if you cant read any chinese but the characters for WUHAN are kind of distinctive and simple, especially the second character HAN

It's got a lot of white space, no dense strokes or grid-looking elements, no parallel lines.

If you're trying to figure whether a video on twitter or something is actually Wuhan, look for that character.

Chinese syntax is similar to english in that the name of a place comes at the start, like "Wuhan No1 Hospital" as opposed to "N1 Hospital of Wuhan" so you'll always see the 武汉 characters at the start of names for things.

Thanks for a legitimately useful post!

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."

Charlz Guybon posted:

3% fatality rate

If one billion people catch it, 30 million will die.

The fatality rate is probably closer to 5 to 10%, basically SARS. 3% is just what's been tracked but doesnt follow full lifecycle of disease and deaths are lagged due to incubation period. Basically its SARS but spreading orders of magnitude faster

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zHNfzXSqLQ

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
The anarcho-primitivists were right all along.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Global organizations that bend over and pander to China are scarier than any viral outbreak.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Will China, in another fit of pique, block Taiwan from using WHO resources and block doctors from visiting it like they did during the SARS outbreak? (You already know the answer to this.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yaldabaoth posted:

Global organizations that bend over and pander to China are scarier than any viral outbreak.

Isn’t that every us corporate entity? Imagine if they all gave 1% of yearly revenue to eliminate disease.