Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

I only have a Kiss On Sight list, so I know who to give sweet smooches to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larz
Jul 29, 2011
So seriously, whats up with the refunds subreddit. Did Beet shut it down as a joke? Did the cultists hack into it to shut down the mean people saying mean things? Did we really commit hate crimes? Do I need to be on the watch-out for the hate crime police? I NEED ANSWERS!! I do miss reading it, though, I guess it's use as an information source for refunds no longer applies because NO REFUNDS.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Larz posted:

So seriously, whats up with the refunds subreddit. Did Beet shut it down as a joke? Did the cultists hack into it to shut down the mean people saying mean things? Did we really commit hate crimes? Do I need to be on the watch-out for the hate crime police? I NEED ANSWERS!! I do miss reading it, though, I guess it's use as an information source for refunds no longer applies because NO REFUNDS.

It got bought out by "Big Publishing" and is being restructured to be more effective at shutting down the most disruptive video game paradigm that will put them all out of business in the year 2020.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The Reddit admins probably were convinced to hand control of it over to some people from the main SC subreddit because that is a thing that occasionally happens on Reddit for some bizarre reason. Either that or someone with top mod powers decided to demod everyone else and hand it over to them.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Are seriously none of you guys subscribed to that subreddit? It's just gone private lol. People are saying the mods did it for a joke and it'll revert back Monday.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Off topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mue4NdSWSfU&t=71s

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

UnknownTarget posted:

Are seriously none of you guys subscribed to that subreddit? It's just gone private lol. People are saying the mods did it for a joke and it'll revert back Monday.

I was subscribed and I still get that screen. It seems like I was automatically unsubscribed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You bunch of filthy leavers.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

spacetoaster posted:

You bunch of filthy leavers.

They obviously didn't virtue signal strong enough for the invite.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

UnknownTarget posted:

Bitch!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Direct Unequivocal Facts!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Man, it's a shame sci-fi concept art has gone from cool paintings and drawings to photos of military poo poo spliced together and painted over. Even good games are resorting to turning their art teams into photobashing factories.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Patch is going well then...

BUG GRAPHIC GENERAL

quote:

When I walk in the station, I have effects of change of atmosphere as in silent hill and sometimes strange graphic behavior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSDzQeld5wk

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Inside Star Citizen — Sounds of Sirens

Hey, it’s another session with the sound designers. Big news week. Listen as Lando frames the massive challenge facing the team — get Microtech’s 3 moons done within the quarter. It sure doesn’t sound like it’s gonna happen.

It’s okay man. Stanton’s only 3 years behind schedule. No cause for worry. The journey of a thousand miles...

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF posted:

Hey, it’s another session with the sound designers. Big news week. Listen as Lando frames the massive challenge facing the team — get Microtech’s 3 moons done within the quarter. It sure doesn’t sound like it’s gonna happen.

It’s okay man. Stanton’s only 3 years behind schedule. No cause for worry. The journey of a thousand miles...

Seems like a nice distraction for anyone interested in Squadron FU2. I wonder when and if they will announce a delay.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

My favorite part of the Star Citizen universe is there's apparently no such thing as modular design. If you want a fast ship with missiles you need to design a fast ship with missiles. You can't just put a missile pod for something on a fast ship with lasers.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Elderbean posted:

Man, it's a shame sci-fi concept art has gone from cool paintings and drawings to photos of military poo poo spliced together and painted over. Even good games are resorting to turning their art teams into photobashing factories.

https://twitter.com/JadoreReyBen/status/1217696999350267905

I dunno about that. For as trash garbage as tros and tlj were, the concept art books (film the treverrow version you cowards) are full of really cool stuff

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

G0RF posted:

What about Microtech? Is this going to sunset into "it never was promised" revisionism?

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Bofast posted:

If 1 doxxing warlord is bad and 5 dancing cats :pgabz: is good, I'll rate this joke 3 Javelins and 1 Carrack.

High praise indeed.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:
You don't seem to understand the basic concept of safe spaces. A safe space is a place where people aren't allowed to challenge you, and where you are shielded from any controversial opinions and ideas. Doxxing and harassment isn't and shouldn't be allowed regardless.

An example of a safe space is what some students demanded in college because the school had invited someone to talk about a topic they found unpleasant.

If I had to explain that to you, I wonder why you even thought it was a good idea to enter this conversation.

Bugger.
I always thought a safe space was an area in a building where a safe was installed.

That's embarrassing.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Agony Aunt posted:

Its an older code sir, but it checks out.

That's how you lose a war.
Older code, NEVER CHECKS OUT!!!!

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Thing is, SC doesn't really have a coherent visual style. There's art design in the sense that like, every Origin ship has to look like an Apple Store or whatever, but there's not really any one defining thing you can say about Star Citizen's art as a whole other than "everything has to look like it has a billion plates and pieces." This is really obvious when you look at their helmets, which almost all look like they were ripped straight from the overly complex and stupid designs that come up when you google "futuristic armor helmet." Like, check this out, it's impossible to know whether or not this is a star citizen helmet concept or some dude's final project for his design class or whatever (or, really, if there's any difference between those two things):

Where that lack of a unique visual style really hurts them, though, is when they try to make "special" helmets. When you look at like.. idk Destiny 2 yeah they have tons of generic-rear end armor, but the exotics are all at least visually interesting and look like they belong, but because CIG doesn't have anything to build off of other than "we picked the coolest google search results, so basically lots of carbon fiber and greebles" they end up with poo poo like this for their super special limited helmets:

which either end up looking sort of cool but like they 100% don't belong in the world CIG has built, or end up looking like some generic poo poo you'd expect to find in that most recent low-budget DOOM movie or something.

I don't know.
I quite like the direction this armour design is going.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dementropy posted:

Seems like a nice distraction for anyone interested in Squadron FU2. I wonder when and if they will announce a delay.

Yeah, Sound guys or lore dudes are Lando’s preferred filler when he’s got absolutely nothing to talk about.

The directors have all had their January planning session. I assume that’s why Papy was in LA last week. They surely worked up their new Squadron narrative during the get together. So it probably won’t be long before they put something out. I wonder if we’ll get it from Chris or Erin, or if they’ll try an alternate approach this time. If it’s another excuse and delay, they might prefer not being on camera to announce it.

“Hey Gamestar, how would you like some exclusive renders from Squadron 42 - you could put Henry Cavill on the cover.”

“Sounds AMAZING - he’s so hot right now with Witcher! Plus HE’S A GAMER! We’ll sell a ton!”

That’s a good, cowardly way to get bad news out (as hype) and it wouldn’t be the first time, and the citizens might be dumb enough to go for it yet again.

monkeytek posted:

What about Microtech? Is this going to sunset into "it never was promised" revisionism?

No not necessarily. Lando just seemed like he was prepping people for the moons to be later than the roadmap target, I think.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

G0RF posted:

Oh drat, Chris is writ right through this. He has to clear all the visuals pre-production. But is also on their backs to actually start the Pyro system.

Enviro lead is proud that they can make moons far faster than three years ago, and is kind of confident they can do 3 in a quarter.

But Chris said man, Chris said...
'An artist should be able to crank out a moon, or even a base planet, in a day or two days.'

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4KHmuHlUMA

:confused: not sure why i expected way more than 8 minutes after a month long hiatus. also why no chris at the end anymore?
:thunk: probably on Holiday drinking expensive cocktails with our money
:argh: OR,... dealing with the Crytek bullshit lawsuit.
:a2m: Apparently he had been working on physics refractor don't take that for true tho just read it somewhere

:colbert: We didn’t learn anything we didn’t know a month ago, so thanks I guess
:colbert: they literally just showed the concept pictures from the moons from the roadmap.
:colbert: We saw screenshots of moons we saw before (on the roadmap) and we saw content of the red which was posted by tactical advance before (good job boy!) and we got them talking about stuff that has been said before about how long they need to build moons and what the red can do (which was also shown in the patchnotes last week). Thank you subscribers, for sponsoring this show.

Quavers fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 24, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Welp, guess we know where Robert's focus is based on the sound show.

MSFS released earlier this week a video what they were doing with sound.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beet Wagon posted:

which either end up looking sort of cool but like they 100% don't belong in the world CIG has built, or end up looking like some generic poo poo you'd expect to find in that most recent low-budget DOOM movie or something.

So you're saying Star Citizen is the Birdemic of the gaming world?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Scruffpuff posted:

The procedurally generated planet is changed. I feel it in the water in space. I feel it as I clip through the earth. I smell it in the argon. Much that once worked is lost, for none now work at CIG who remember it. It began with the forging of the Great Code StarEngine. Three DLLs were given to the Original Devs, immortal, wisest and closest to normal of all beings. Seven DLLs to the poo poo lords, great dataminers and craftsmen of the spaceship hallways. And nine, nine DLLs were gifted to the race of recent college grads, who, above all else, desire recognition. But they were, all of them, deceived, for another DLL was made. In the land of Santa Monica, in the bowels of a rented mansion, the Dark Lord Chris Roberts forged in secret a master DLL, to control all others. And into this DLL he poured his fidelity, his vision and his will to render shoelaces and eyelids. One DLL to break them all.

Silly goon, if you're going to post this, at least make sure it's in the original Elvish Xi'an!

I' procedurally generated planet naa changed. Amin tyava ta e' i' alu e' space. Amin tyava ta vee' amin clip imya i' Arda. Amin fira ta e' i' argon. Sai- tanya once moote naa lost, ten' none sii' moota ie' cig ya rina ta. Ta yeste yassen i' forgien en' i' great code starengine. Nelde dlls nae given a' i' original devs, ilfirin, wisest ar' closest a' sanya en' ilya beings. Otso dlls a' i' poo poo lords, great dataminers ar' craftsmen en' i' spaceship hallways. Ar' nine, nine dlls nae gifted a' i' race en' recent college grads, ya, above ilya eile, irma recognition. Nan' ron nae, ilya en' sen, wethrine, ten' another dll nae karne. E' i' ndor en' santa monica, e' i' bowels en' y' rented ilm, i' mori heru chris roberts tamine e' olin y' tura dll, tur- ilya others. Ar' e'a sina dll ro ulue ho fidelity, ho vision ar' ho will a' render shoelaces ar' eyelids. Er dll rusv- sen ilya

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Rugganovich posted:

That's how you lose a war.
Older code, NEVER CHECKS OUT!!!!

The code was refactored. It hasn’t been done before.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

Sounds like the introduction to an episode of something like Scrapheap Challenge.

"On this week's episode Lando challenges the team to fulfil all of Chris' promises in just 24 hours using nothing but a broken game engine! Are the team up to the challenge or will they have to report to Lando their failure? Keep watching to find out!"

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I mean, that's kind of what we're watching. They just removed the time restriction and the sponsors are cultists.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Yeah it really is a shame. Good concept art is so amazing and awesome but it takes a lot of time and photobashing is fast, particularly when the art direction is generic and derivative. Nothing wrong with photobashing as a tool too, but it doesn’t replace ground up original concepts.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:confused: Is this game Pay to Win?
I mean can you buy superior ships, guns and armor and destroy other players that are just using standard equipment?

:colbert: Words "P2W" trigger people here. This topic is complex in nature given the unique situation of this game. You'd better say something along the lines of "pay for advantage" or better wording to have any meaningful responses.

:chef: Yeah and it can be applied to everything. If I buy a kitchen knife that costs 4x more than my old one it doesn't mean I can cook better. But if we're comparing if one knife cuts easier than the other then yeah, sure it can. Quality is better and would probably last longer. But it won't make the food taste any better.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Pay to win? Win what? Define 'gameplay'.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Of course its not pay to win. Chris said it wouldn't be pay to win. Therefore anything that is pay to win can't be pay to win.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Pay2BeEqual WAS NOT A JOKE

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
You can just turn the p2w slider down

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Colostomy Bag posted:

Welp, guess we know where Robert's focus is based on the sound show.

MSFS released earlier this week a video what they were doing with sound.

there's no conceivable 'Verse where sturd citizen can have that level of detail and dedication. dream on, Chris.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

that was a beautiful quote. buying another idris

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Can't be pay to win if there's no game