Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Lizard Combatant posted:

He's definitely lost that reserved front he had, but whether that's an intentional progression of the character or not I'm not sure yet.

I'm pretty sure Picard seemily to be so old is due to Picard's reaction to having his life long love with Starfleet being fundamentally broken so he doesn't seem a vibrant as Sir Patrick is IRL. Acting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
You could also make a good argument that it's kind of extra devastating considering "All Good Things..."

I was wary of seeing Picard as a loner at the vineyard again, but it's actually kind of interesting. Picard really did change his future, making sure he did not separate himself from the world and live a lonely life.

The tragedy is that despite his efforts at self-improvement, Starfleet broke his heart regardless albeit in a different context.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was very good, I enjoyed it a lot.

And my wild theory from the trailer that mystery girl was Lal somehow wasn’t that far off the mark.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I know he wasn’t 100% spot on, but the CGI work on Data is kinda impressive.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

He was channeling the old Picard during the interview. Especially the start of it.

But the character has had a lot happen to him in nearly 2 decades. It would be weird if he was the same man

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm pretty sure those two are from the prequel comic series, and are former Tal Shiar agents who were assigned to a colony, fell in love with each other, and went native. They helped then-Admiral Picard when the local governor tried to steal the ship he arrived in to help evacuate the colony.

I just checked and they are. Notably: Their cover was that they ran a vineyard on the colony, using native sapient beings as slave labour. But part of establishing them as good guys is that they are secretly working with the native people's resistance to Romulan oppression. Explaining why Picard is down with hanging out with Tal'Shiar agents and why they can work at the chateau. It also kind of explains why they could get him out of SF instead of an ambulance.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That was WAY better than any Disco episode, despite some clunky exposition and so-so dialogue and a surprising reliance on Nemesis. Might still collapse but they did some good work for themselves here.

I was a little surprised at how normal the Romulan servants/renters/aides/whatever were. It’s an interesting and imo good choice to portray average-Joe Romulans rather than the military men and women that have made up so much of their image. A lot of this depends on the two actors though who are both charming.

Alison Pill’s character seems like she could get lame fast.

Personal tiny nitpick: how is Dahj watching a live broadcast at night in Boston, of something happening during the day in France

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

skasion posted:

That was WAY better than any Disco episode, despite some clunky exposition and so-so dialogue and a surprising reliance on Nemesis. Might still collapse but they did some good work for themselves here.

I was a little surprised at how normal the Romulan servants/renters/aides/whatever were. It’s an interesting and imo good choice to portray average-Joe Romulans rather than the military men and women that have made up so much of their image. A lot of this depends on the two actors though who are both charming.

Personal tiny nitpick: how is Dahj watching a live broadcast at night in Boston, of something happening during the day in France

An 8 am interview in rural France would be like 3 in the morning in Massachusetts. Depending on the time of year, could be plenty dark.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Was the interview not in the morning? 3 AM in Boston and 9 AM or 4 AM in Boston and 10 AM in France would work.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

skasion posted:

It's a live interview of probably the most famous man in all of Star Fleet after his seclusion for a decade.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was it a live interview? It could just have been reaired at night.

Also, do we need to do spoiler tags? It's not like this was all dumped at once, it's a weekly show. If you haven't seen the week's episode, don't read the thread.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Also, do we need to do spoiler tags? It's not like this was all dumped at once, it's a weekly show. If you haven't seen the week's episode, don't read the thread.

Someone complained about it because they live in Canada where it hasnt aired or something. idk

Also if it wasn't a live interview I assume they wouldn't have aired to the whole galaxy the part where Picard schooled the reporter and told her to get the gently caress out

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I have no trouble buying the positronic neuron thing.

It's not too hard to believe Soong would be crazy enough to make the positronic brain somehow fractal. Maybe he or one of his ancestors who laid the groundwork for the project got sick of forgetting to save their work. A fractal brain would at least be easy to back up, hence the current plot.

Edit: Why didn't they just ask Data's mom? She was still around last we knew.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

It still hasn’t aired in Canada and parts of Europe yet. 48 hours for spoiler tags is pretty common in threads.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It still hasn’t aired in Canada and parts of Europe yet. 48 hours for spoiler tags is pretty common in threads.

In what threads? For all the shows I follow on SA, as soon as it airs somewhere, it's fair game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Armack posted:

I have no trouble buying the positronic neuron thing.

It's not too hard to believe Soong would be crazy enough to make the positronic brain somehow fractal. Maybe he or one of his ancestors who laid the groundwork for the project got sick of forgetting to save their work. A fractal brain would at least be easy to back up, hence the current plot.

Edit: Why didn't they just ask Data's mom? She was still around last we knew.

She was programmed to die (because she thought she was human) and was pretty old when we first met her. not gonna spoiler this because it aired 25 years ago

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

skasion posted:

She was programmed to die (because she thought she was human) and was pretty old when we first met her. not gonna spoiler this because it aired 25 years ago

Fun fact, I didn't see this episode until someone mentioned it a few years ago. Don't know how I skipped over it. It was cool to have a brand new TNG episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have no issue believing Maddox finally cracked it. The idea that Maddox created a race of super-terrorists, then disappeared, then cracked it for real and secreted two amnesiac androids on opposite sides of known space -- that's harder to accept.

Also I'm kinda disappointed they went this way when holograms and computer cores are gaining sentience left and right. A decent line to pick up but it felt like AI was just around the corner, not a tightly held secret.

I did really like the archive computer avatar. It felt like a natural evolution of technology from the 2370s.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 24, 2020

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012
Was I only one kind of annoyed that one of the first things the show does is kill off the only black man in the entire episode?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh and it was very restrained of them to wait a full 53 minutes before bringing the Borg back.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Also I'm kinda disappointed they went this way when holograms and computer cores are gaining sentience left and right. A decent line to pick up but it felt like AI was just around the corner, not a tightly held secret.

I'm glad because it allows them to ignore all the stupid hologram stuff from Voyager, using the EMH as miners etc.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wonder what the Doc is up to. If the Federation has gone all out against artificial intelligence then having him walking around probably gets a lot of backlash.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

marktheando posted:

I'm glad because it allows them to ignore all the stupid hologram stuff from Voyager, using the EMH as miners etc.

Oh yeah yikes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Horrible Taste posted:

Was I only one kind of annoyed that one of the first things the show does is kill off the only black man in the entire episode?

Or how there are no Okinawans on Okinawa?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What's the significance of Data having five queens of hearts in the poker game? Has he been cheating this whole time?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

What's the significance of Data having five queens of hearts in the poker game? Has he been cheating this whole time?

Just a tip to Picard/viewers that something’s wrong. Five of a kind is also the best possible poker hand though obviously normally you could only get that with a wild card

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's some general weird writing notes throughout the episode, like how Picard is injured in Paris(?) and wakes up at home, or why Allison Pill's first reaction to meeting an idol who worked with giants in her field would be to laugh in his face.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Arglebargle III posted:

There's some general weird writing notes throughout the episode, like how Picard is injured in Paris(?) and wakes up at home, or why Allison Pill's first reaction to meeting an idol who worked with giants in her field would be to laugh in his face.

Yeah I had to remember this wasn't GOT for a second and they did have transporters, but this was super jarring. Could it have killed them to show them walking into a Sheetz and get teleported for 20 seconds, and how Picard wasn't in a Starfleet hospital to explain gunfire and explosions at their HQ?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

skasion posted:

Just a tip to Picard/viewers that something’s wrong. Five of a kind is also the best possible poker hand though obviously normally you could only get that with a wild card

Or a hint as to the true mastermind behind these events, the cards all read Q :tinfoil:

ghostinmyshell posted:

Yeah I had to remember this wasn't GOT for a second and they did have transporters, but this was super jarring. Could it have killed them to show them walking into a Sheetz and get teleported for 20 seconds, and how Picard wasn't in a Starfleet hospital to explain gunfire and explosions at their HQ?

The lack of footage suggests the bad guys either had some help from the authorities or used some kind of tech to conceal the scene.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I'm on board so far. I love the idea of the Romulans on the Borg Cube. Shades of the ST: Countdown comic from 2009

marktheando posted:

Or a hint as to the true mastermind behind these events, the cards all read Q :tinfoil:

:aaaaa:

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 24, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cojawfee posted:

In what threads? For all the shows I follow on SA, as soon as it airs somewhere, it's fair game.

Is it really that big a deal to just extend the courtesy for people who can’t watch the show immediately? Two days isn’t that long.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'm on board so far. I love the idea of the Romulans on the Borg Cube. Shades of the ST: Countdown comic from 2009

:aaaaa:

And new frontiers of evolution and possibility, like bio-droids, is exactly the kind of thing Q wanted Picard to explore in All Good Things...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm re-watching now, I love how Picard is like a proud uncle when Dahj says she was accepted into the Daystrom institute.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

marktheando posted:

:eyepop:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Still calling my original theory that Starfleet is secretly making hybrid databorgs as an army or to man ships.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

And in order to keep them a secret they staged the Mars attack to make their army illegal. Starfleet did Mars 11. Very plausible.

I mean this is a Kurtzman joint right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It would be Alex kurtzman's ultimate homage to Gene Roddenberry if Picard had to go back in time and do 9/11.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

And in order to keep them a secret they staged the Mars attack to make their army illegal. Starfleet did Mars 11. Very plausible.

I mean this is a Kurtzman joint right?

Bob Orci is the 9 / 11 truther, not Kurtzman. Orci and Kurtzman had a falling-out several years ago and don't work together anymore.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timby posted:

Bob Orci is the 9 / 11 truther, not Kurtzman. Orci and Kurtzman had a falling-out several years ago and don't work together anymore.

Yeah, Orci got pissed that people hated Into Darkness and left the Bad Robot/Star Trek production posse in an angry huff. Luckily, between him and Kurtzman, Orci was the one who knew jack poo poo about Star Trek while Kurtzman has at least journeyman's knowledge. So if you HAD to pick between one or the other, the right one got the gently caress out.

Show really good though. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was Orci with the Star Trek 3 script that had Vulcan terrorists trying to time travel, right?