Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

The_Doctor posted:

Janet made a bag of cocaine for Mindy,

Maybe this is how we got Disco Janet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

swickles posted:

That's kind of in the direction I thought they were gonna go. I thought the Bad Place would argue that if humans can get better, then it stands to reason they can also get worse, and that people in the Good Place should also have to undergo testing to make sure paradise hasn't killed their sense of right and wrong.

But the new test isn't explicitly in the Good Place, it's in a balanced place designed by Good and Bad architects. The argument was not that people already placed should face a test, but that new arrivals should be evaluated before placement.

The_Doctor posted:

People have lived their good life on Earth and now they get consequence-free pleasure in eternity. Janet made a bag of cocaine for Mindy, so there’s clearly no limits on what a Janet will provide.

1) You're applying an external morality to "providing MINDY (who is explictly separate from Good/Bad) with cocaine"
2) We haven't seen consequence-free pleasure in The Good Place, we've only seen something similar in the faux-Good Places. If the Good Place workers are anything to go by, it's a sickly saccharine paradise, hardly the place where people decide to constantly do bumps for fun. If anything, I'm more interested in the overly forced positivity and supposed "good" and its effects on how the Cockroach Gang function (remember the Good Place folk agreed to the new plan without even being told what it was)

Synonymous fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jan 23, 2020

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
It seems to me to be very likely that eternal pleasure is seen as as empty as eternal damnation. If there’s nothing to strive for then what’s the point? I see it quite likely they decide eternal anything is pointless and instead work on a system that transcends that somehow.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

swickles posted:

Simone is helping someone into/out of the MRI when cowboy boots guy pops in, the MRI magnet rips the spurs off turning them into projectiles. Chidi is ultimately responsible and gets a stomach ache when he learns.

lol, that would be amazing.

Velius posted:

It seems to me to be very likely that eternal pleasure is seen as as empty as eternal damnation. If there’s nothing to strive for then what’s the point? I see it quite likely they decide eternal anything is pointless and instead work on a system that transcends that somehow.

I will never have an idea where they are going in this show, but my guess would be reincarnation. Maybe forever? The Bad Place sucks, what with the penis flatteners and all, and if the Good Place sucks too because it's ran by the neo-liberals, maybe they just say do Earth over and over and over and end the afterlife all together. It's a bit of a dark ending because no one will ever get their "moral desserts", but it would hopefully eventually make everyone on Earth their best version of themselves and maybe, eventually, Earth would end up being the Good Place itself.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

1glitch0 posted:

I will never have an idea where they are going in this show, but my guess would be reincarnation. Maybe forever? The Bad Place sucks, what with the penis flatteners and all, and if the Good Place sucks too because it's ran by the neo-liberals, maybe they just say do Earth over and over and over and end the afterlife all together. It's a bit of a dark ending because no one will ever get their "moral desserts", but it would hopefully eventually make everyone on Earth their best version of themselves and maybe, eventually, Earth would end up being the Good Place itself.

Their current system essentially is reincarnation anyway, only it's constantly recycling through the afterlife rather than Earth. The main reason it even works in the first place is because all the desires and compromising situations you face in life are no longer present in the afterlife and so you can concentrate on improving yourself since you're no longer coming in to conflict with other people or causing them inadvertent suffering just by living your own life. If you constantly reincarnated on Earth then that no longer applies and while a small percentage of people might eventually improve enough to get in to The Good Place, the majority never would and instead you'd just have them spinning their wheels for a while as mostly similarly moral people and ending up in the Bad Place anyway because the choices they had to make to ensure a life for themselves on Earth damned them for eternity.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I think they'll land on "What's the point of being good if you aren't still able to do good."

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
If I had to guess, which is a bad idea honestly, I think the issue with the good place is what's the point of it. It's hollow and empty. You play basketball, opposing team misses all shots, you make all shots even when blindfolded and throw it in the opposite direction. It'd be pointless.

It's like the idea of heaven being this thing where you are just blissed out all the time by proximity to his holy light. What's the point of it, why bother, and why want that?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I bet Mike Schur is all read-up on both John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think that's probably a bit much to be tackling in two episodes (or three, since I think the finale is double length?). In that same vein though I'd wonder what's the point of being judged at all? The only reason to set up a system that judges people's lives in that way is for some kind of higher purpose and eternal damnation or gratification doesn't really seem like it's worth doing it for. It's basically a self-fulfilling system where people are judged so that they can be punished or rewarded, but not to serve any further purpose beyond the idle whim of demons. Who seem to only exist to punish those people in the first place. More than that, what's the purpose of Earth in a system that actively acknowledges that living on Earth is kind of poo poo and is instead going to push you through dozens or even hundreds of afterlives to test you without any real goal or motive? Why not just have everyone live in the afterlife forever?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

tsob posted:

Their current system essentially is reincarnation anyway, only it's constantly recycling through the afterlife rather than Earth. The main reason it even works in the first place is because all the desires and compromising situations you face in life are no longer present in the afterlife and so you can concentrate on improving yourself since you're no longer coming in to conflict with other people or causing them inadvertent suffering just by living your own life. If you constantly reincarnated on Earth then that no longer applies and while a small percentage of people might eventually improve enough to get in to The Good Place, the majority never would and instead you'd just have them spinning their wheels for a while as mostly similarly moral people and ending up in the Bad Place anyway because the choices they had to make to ensure a life for themselves on Earth damned them for eternity.

I mean if I was in charge I'd just put all souls in heaven, because why not? If Earth is just where you make sucky decisions, why not just throw everyone into the Good Place immediately. I don't think that's where they're going, but the concept of the afterlife is so idiotic it's tough to write yourself out of it. Like why would there even have to be test at all?

I wonder if the cockroaches meet God. If they do I hope it'd be Bill Murray.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What if it is revealed that the Good Place is just a temporarily holding station before being reincarnated back on earth because the real Good Place is the journey, not the destination.

It ends with Chidi and Eleanor preparing to get reincarnated "When you're ready..." and then it turns out that it is all just the ending of What Dreams May Come.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Alternatively, this episode and next weeks double length episode combined are just a shot for shot recreation of Koreeda’s After Life.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Oh my gosh, superpuppy :3:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I know that bedpan!!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The shrimp machine!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

what the gently caress

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Well that was unexpected

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That went better than I expected it would.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

A little heart over the "i". :3:

e: wait what

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Not quite the twist I was expecting.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Lisa Kudrow!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
There's math on my shirt!

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Is it a S or a math?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

There's math on my shirt!

Is it an S or a math?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Okay, this is the twist I was expecting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Go-karting with monkeys got boring really fast.

It did?!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

This is great

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Honestly was not expecting the actual good place.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

"We've invented cosmic Coachella"

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I kind of like the memory wiping thing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god, I LOVE where this just went

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Heaven can be improved with a suicide door.

Who knew?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

NEXT WEEK IS GOING TO BE SO GOOD AND ROUGH IF IT'S A ONE HOUR GOODBYE :derp:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pinwiz11 posted:

NEXT WEEK IS GOING TO BE SO GOOD AND ROUGH IF IT'S A ONE HOUR GOODBYE :derp:

Oh god, they're going to go full Six Feet Under finale aren't they, christ

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Holy poo poo that went quick.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
drat I’m so not ready

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

That was :allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

drat I’m so not ready

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No clue what they're going to do for an hour finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

muscles like this! posted:

No clue what they're going to do for an hour finale.

Are they just going to...kill themselves?

I can't seem them doing that, it's not the kind of thing that would get past S&P.