Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That sounds sane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
Speaking of sanity checks... I've been having an idea to move the basement laundry to the first floor, and everyone I've talked to agrees it'd be a good idea, but I want to verify with The Internet that I won't be tanking the already fairly low value of the house further.

House is 2 story colonial with unfinished basement, 120 years old. Washer and dryer in the basement. There's a first floor bathroom with small stand up shower, with all bedrooms and full bath upstairs. We haven't used the shower since we moved in 5 years ago when I was doing a little work in the upstairs shower. I'm thinking of removing the shower, removing a small closet, and there's a bulkhead that runs up the wall with all plumbing and the main waste stacks. I'm hoping when we break that open we can make the main part of the bathroom a little bigger, and then get the W&D side by side, maybe put some cabinets above it. I'm thinking removing a 1st floor shower for 1st floor W&D would be the better move? Anything I'm not accounting for?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Are there any bedrooms on the first floor?

Old homes are a crap shoot since they were designed so long ago. My sister has a 1916 house so I feel your pain.

It's your house, and putting them back in the basement and putting a shower back in wouldn't be the end of the world, so I guess if it improves your quality of life it might be worth the hassle.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
MY WIFE and I have been thinking about replacing the bushes/shrubs in our back/side yard, maybe moving the hedges in our front yard a bit. Are there any quick ways to tell a bad landscaping company from a good one? Does anyone have suggestions on things they wish they did/didn't do? Do I just contact a few companies that neighbors recommend and see what quotes they give us?

Is this something I can do for cheap?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would be pretty cautious about winnowing down the number of bathrooms you have, old houses already tend to have fewer than the preferred number. How many bedrooms is the house? We have a 2 story with 4 bedrooms and 1.5 baths, and our long term plan is to put a shower/bath into the first floor half bath. If its a smaller house maybe that's less of a concern.

One thing to consider is that having a full bathroom on the first floor is important if anyone living there has mobility issues and may be restricted/unable to use stairs easily. You'd still have the toilet at least, but it's something to think about. This also kind of depends on if the first floor is viable as a living space at all (ie, not if its all open plan common rooms) or if the house itself would exclude someone (ie, you have flights to even get in).

If I were you I'd try to figure out if there was a way to get the laundry in without losing the shower, but maybe it's not possible. If not I'd rather keep the bathroom and the laundry in the basement, but there are a lot of variables going into that.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I love basement bathroom shacks like you see in post war boom houses. You can just absolutely destroy the shitter and no one cares.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Ashcans posted:

I would be pretty cautious about winnowing down the number of bathrooms you have, old houses already tend to have fewer than the preferred number. How many bedrooms is the house? We have a 2 story with 4 bedrooms and 1.5 baths, and our long term plan is to put a shower/bath into the first floor half bath. If its a smaller house maybe that's less of a concern.

One thing to consider is that having a full bathroom on the first floor is important if anyone living there has mobility issues and may be restricted/unable to use stairs easily. You'd still have the toilet at least, but it's something to think about. This also kind of depends on if the first floor is viable as a living space at all (ie, not if its all open plan common rooms) or if the house itself would exclude someone (ie, you have flights to even get in).

If I were you I'd try to figure out if there was a way to get the laundry in without losing the shower, but maybe it's not possible. If not I'd rather keep the bathroom and the laundry in the basement, but there are a lot of variables going into that.

3 bedrooms upstairs, no bedrooms on the first floor. ~1700sq ft, and there's steps to get into the house no matter where you come in from, 4-5 steps on each door. There's the family room in the back open to the kitchen, formal dining room open to the front living room in the front of the house. Could probably do a makeshift bedroom, but it'd be pretty inconvenient for all involved I think. My parents are getting up there, so this is probably a valid concern. However, the shower is only about 30"x30", which I'd expect would cause a problem since you can't really wheel in or sit in the thing to shower. The bathroom overall is about 6'x6'.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

A lot of the decision could also come down to what are you plans for the size of your family and how long you plan on staying in the house. If this is your forever house and laundry is a common annoyance, this could be a smart move for you.

If you plan on having a kid of two however, you may want that second shower just to keep them out of your space as they get older.

I grew up in a 1000 sq ft house with a single bath off of the kitchen, so my tolerance is a little higher. Though now I own a 3200 sq ft house with 2.5 bath and our master bath is exclusively for us.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jealous Cow posted:

I love basement bathroom shacks like you see in post war boom houses. You can just absolutely destroy the shitter and no one cares.

:lol:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dunno if it's at all feasible but have you considered your options for putting the laundry up on the floor where the bedrooms are? Noise issues are low given nowadays you can get super quiet washers and driers, and depending on where you like to fold, it can be really nice not having to carry laundry up or down the stairs at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Dunno if it's at all feasible but have you considered your options for putting the laundry up on the floor where the bedrooms are? Noise issues are low given nowadays you can get super quiet washers and driers, and depending on where you like to fold, it can be really nice not having to carry laundry up or down the stairs at all.

Yeah, this. All of my dirty clothes are on the second floor. All clean clothes need to go to the second floor. We have the technology (water pans, water sensing shut offs, etc) to make this no big deal. I don't know why so many new homes (at least around here) are still being built with a first floor laundry.

If I'm even doing a major reno on this house part of it will be to figure out how to put the laundry up here.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

MY WIFE and I have been thinking about replacing the bushes/shrubs in our back/side yard, maybe moving the hedges in our front yard a bit. Are there any quick ways to tell a bad landscaping company from a good one? Does anyone have suggestions on things they wish they did/didn't do? Do I just contact a few companies that neighbors recommend and see what quotes they give us?

Is this something I can do for cheap?

It's not exactly rocket science to remove/plant some shrubs and bushes, but sometimes they don't take to kindly to being moved. You may end up needing to replace them if the moved bushes fail to thrive.

Be prepared for costs to do this to be more than you might think. Good landscape labor is going to be $15+/hr/man, and then you add on all the business overhead. Unlike other home improvement work, you could reduce the cost significantly if you do most of the dumb manual labor yourself (like removing the bushes), and the only difficulty there is putting in the work.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Our master bath is directly above the laundry room in our house and I've seriously considered putting a laundry chute in so many times.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

I'd like to put them on the 2nd floor, but it just doesn't work. The rooms are fairly small to start with, and the closets are 1900s tiny. The main bath upstairs is maybe 15'x6'? It'd take some major reno and lopping off half a bedroom to get laundry up there.

It's just me an the wife, and there will be no children. We've been here 5 years already, and I honestly don't see us moving for a long while, if ever, unless I need to move to Chicago or something for work.

I appreciate everyone's input!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Our house went from four bedroom to three bedroom when the laundry came upstairs. Clothes only leave upstairs if I'm wearing them or on a trip. Could have easily gone to the basement, but it's much more convenient.

Still don't do laundry past bedtime but I get a lot of loads in and keep the hamper low.

Only regret is I didn't put a utility sink in there, as it would have been a lot more work. I could have done it easily in the unfinished basement.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Only regret is I didn't put a utility sink in there, as it would have been a lot more work. I could have done it easily in the unfinished basement.

I installed a laundry sink in our laundry room earlier this year (ran plumbing and drain.) In my opinion, you can never have too many sinks, and the laundry sink serves a specific purpose for pre-soaking stained clothes or hand washing.

Draining the washer into the laundry sink has another huge benefit in allowing a reservoir to buffer the massive amount of water dumped by the washer. I never had an overflow of my standpipe when it drained directly, but I've heard of people that had slow draining/clog in a standpipe, and the washer just DGAF and pumps 20+gallons of water all over the floor. Even if the drain is totally clogged, the deep laundry sinks can hold an entire washer drain dump. Also, you can put those filter nets on the discharge hose to catch lint (it's amazing how much they catch), which prevents clogs and really helps septic systems.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Any horror stories/cautionary tales/encouragement regarding heated tile floors in a kitchen? Our EIK's dining area was an addition, which was just built over a crawlspace so it's mighty cold in the dining space during the winter months. It'd have a thermostat to control it, so hopefully once the floor gets into the 70s it'll be closer to the house-wide thermostat temp of 68 at face level.

The contractors I've talked to have said there'd be no problems, but it never hurts to check.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MJP posted:

Any horror stories/cautionary tales/encouragement regarding heated tile floors in a kitchen? Our EIK's dining area was an addition, which was just built over a crawlspace so it's mighty cold in the dining space during the winter months. It'd have a thermostat to control it, so hopefully once the floor gets into the 70s it'll be closer to the house-wide thermostat temp of 68 at face level.

The contractors I've talked to have said there'd be no problems, but it never hurts to check.

They're awesome, but electric is really expensive. If you already have a hot water source for heating use that.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We have natural gas forced air heating. I'm guessing that a water-heated floor from just a normal household hot water heater is not the best option?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MJP posted:

We have natural gas forced air heating. I'm guessing that a water-heated floor from just a normal household hot water heater is not the best option?

No, that won't really work out well.

But a natural gas tankless heater could be a good option for you, either specifically for the floor or one of the DHW/comfort heat dual units if you're anywhere close in in need of replacing your (presumably tanked) water heater.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We just replaced our heater with a new conventional one last year. I'm a bit gun-shy about upgrading it to tankless.

How much does it cost to buy and have a tankless heater installed, anyway?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'd be looking at insulating the floor via the crawl space rather than floor heating. A few inches of closed cell foam down there should help out a ton. Improving the insulation of the building envelope is a better solution than throwing expensive heating/cooling at the situation.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

I'd be looking at insulating the floor via the crawl space rather than floor heating. A few inches of closed cell foam down there should help out a ton. Improving the insulation of the building envelope is a better solution than throwing expensive heating/cooling at the situation.

We had this looked at some time ago when we insulated the attic. I forget the reasoning, but our contractor - who's actually trustworthy - had some good logic as to why we shouldn't do it. The one big thing was that the entrance to the crawlspace was only a 12"x12" square in the basement, and there wasn't any insulation he'd trust that could get in there. He was referring to batting, mostly, but I don't recall if the vendors and contractors mentioned throwing closed-cell foam in there. Since we have a basement that gets moist in the summer, even with a dehumidifier I think the issue was that there'd be some kind of moisture and mold problem down the line.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Re: insulating your crawlspace, here is a post I made awhile back on that topic.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I'm going to be silly and answer my own question. I spent the last 24 hours researching this question and came upon a lot of analysis back and forth on how crawlspace insulation should work. The best site to summarize the whole thing is this one: https://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-009-new-light-in-crawlspaces?topic=resources/cond-crawlspaces

The short summary of that page is that old-style vented crawlspaces are working as intended when they are left uninsulated since warm humid air entering the colder crawlspace is going to condense somewhere. Uninsulated the joists and subfloor of the crawlspace will always be significantly warmer than the soil of the ground, so moisture will condense on the soil rather than on the wood. Since the actual air movement into crawlspaces is relatively low, most heat transfer going on in there is through radiation and conduction through the wood of the floor, so even on hot days the crawlspace will be cooler than the outside air (thus leading to condensation no matter what), but more importantly on cooler days the subfloor should be warmer than the soil (because the subfloor is being warmed by conduction from the warmer home).

This all goes to poo poo the moment you slap insulation batts on your subfloor. Now the warmth from your home is not making it's way down into the joists below the subfloor, which might seem good since that's kind of the point of insulating it, but now the bottom of the insulation and any wood sticking out below where the insulation stops is going to be significantly colder and will likely be closer in temperature to the soil floor. Moisture entering the crawlspace will now condense both on the soil as well as on the bottom of the insulation and that colder wood. If the insulation is cellulose or fiber this moisture will start loving it up and making it moldy, and your wood will also start to get moldy. Even worse, since the wood higher up in the house (above the insulation) is warmer it will also be dryer which will basically cause the moisture below to wick up into the protected wood, and onto the bottom of your floors.

So essentially the price you pay for a properly dry crawlspace is both cold floors in the winter and loosing a lot of heat/cold from ductwork that is in the crawlspace.

The take-away is that at the minimum to properly insulate your crawlspace you actually need to put up batts and then spray foam a thick layer over the the batts AND the wood so that moisture cannot access it (a moisture barrier), or use an insulation system that covers the wood and is not susceptible to being degraded by moisture (there is a suggestion of the type of insulation to use on that site). The actual no-poo poo best path seems to be completely encapsulating your crawlspace with the help of real professionals that will install sump pumps and proper sheeting to wick moisture out of the crawlspace. Ideally you want to insulate the WALLS of the crawlspace and not the floor.

That's my professional assessment from 24 hours of reading the internet. Take it with a grain of salt.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Has anyone here ever installed their own water heater in an existing house? I have an electric one so my main concern is how much of a bitch copper pipe soldering will be.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I replaced the water heater in my house when I moved in. It's a two-person job to install the heater though, and the exact rules for how it needs to be installed / secured and where its emergency drainage goes varies by location.

Soldering copper pipe isn't hard. Scour the pipe, apply flux, join the two pieces, heat with a torch, and feed solder into the gap. The main way I would screw up is by overheating the copper and burning the flux, which prevents the solder from adhering everywhere and results in leaky pipes. So just don't do that and you're fine. If you do end up with a leaky joint, you can reheat it, pull the pieces apart, clean them, and try again. You'll have to get the water out first though; you can't heat copper very well if it has water to dump heat into.

I did all of my copper work with 45 and 90 degree fittings and straight pipe. It works, but does add extra soldering that you could avoid if you have (and know how to use) a pipe bender. I have no experience there but I doubt it's all that hard. The big problem is that if you screw up you can ruin the pipe by creasing it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I replaced the water heater in my house when I moved in. It's a two-person job to install the heater though, and the exact rules for how it needs to be installed / secured and where its emergency drainage goes varies by location.

Soldering copper pipe isn't hard. Scour the pipe, apply flux, join the two pieces, heat with a torch, and feed solder into the gap. The main way I would screw up is by overheating the copper and burning the flux, which prevents the solder from adhering everywhere and results in leaky pipes. So just don't do that and you're fine. If you do end up with a leaky joint, you can reheat it, pull the pieces apart, clean them, and try again. You'll have to get the water out first though; you can't heat copper very well if it has water to dump heat into.

I did all of my copper work with 45 and 90 degree fittings and straight pipe. It works, but does add extra soldering that you could avoid if you have (and know how to use) a pipe bender. I have no experience there but I doubt it's all that hard. The big problem is that if you screw up you can ruin the pipe by creasing it.

My plan is to pre-solder a vertical copper pipe stem, ball valve, and attachment for the expansion tank on the cold side, then solder a threaded connection to where the old valve is and run a flexible copper fitting to form a heat trap between them. The hot end will just be a short pre-soldered stem with ball valve and flexible copper fitted to the hot line.

I just am unsure how good a job I can do on the blind side of the fittings, but I suppose even though it's cramped I can do that after I remove the hot water tank.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

one caveat to pay attention to, particularly in older homes: sometimes the cold water pipe is being used as a ground for your household wiring. If you have removed an old water heater and that involved removing a grounding clamp, you may have just un-grounded your outlets.

Also pay attention to e.g. dielectric joins if you are joining copper to old galvanized (which you shouldn't, it's better to rip out old galvanized, but you may not have a choice if for example the galvanized is embedded in your concrete slab foundation and doing foundation work is outside your budget).

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

one caveat to pay attention to, particularly in older homes: sometimes the cold water pipe is being used as a ground for your household wiring. If you have removed an old water heater and that involved removing a grounding clamp, you may have just un-grounded your outlets.

Also pay attention to e.g. dielectric joins if you are joining copper to old galvanized (which you shouldn't, it's better to rip out old galvanized, but you may not have a choice if for example the galvanized is embedded in your concrete slab foundation and doing foundation work is outside your budget).

Nah all the piping is all copper and I recently did electrical work including new grounds/clamps. The main annoyance is the space (72" tall and with only 2" of lateral play for the water heater).

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

one caveat to pay attention to, particularly in older homes: sometimes the cold water pipe is being used as a ground for your household wiring.

Cross posting:

Sirotan posted:

Anyway, things are continuing to go great. My electrical panel is grounded to the water line, and while the plumber was cutting out the damaged section of pipe this morning he found the pipe started arcing across the cut sections. :stare: Consequently, I'm now sitting here in my house that has no water or power.

Sirotan posted:

Sorry the quality is poo poo because dude couldn't figure out how to send this to me any way but via MMS:

https://i.imgur.com/0MYChVK.mp4

:tif:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so we realized that the whole radiant floor heat thing was just out to accomplish a goal: get that part of the kitchen warmer. My contractor said we can easily install a register in the floor or wall. However, that part of the kitchen is over a crawlspace - and I mean CRAWLspace. I don't know how a human can get into it seeing that the only opening is a 12"x12" hole from the basement. The contractor doesn't think it'll be a problem but how in the hecking heck is that going to work? Plus there's an intake register in the same area, wouldn't that just suck in the heat?

The only other thing I can think of is that there's some ductwork in the garage for the existing register in the garage, they could probably install duct above the door for the garage and out to the wall for the new reg.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking at buying a condo that as far as I can tell is mostly non structural walls. The plan would be to leave the master bedroom as-is, and then the other bedroom would end up being the kids' bedroom. Since they would not be able to pay rent for at least 18 years, seems like if we want a bigger living room, delete one of their closets, move the shared living room wall back into their room, and then shrink the ridiculous walk in closet down to a normal sized closet to sort of reclaim some of the space.

How insane is this? The current living room is 11' wide, pulling the bedroom wall back would expand it to 13'. Deleting the 2' deep closet on the same plane as that bedroom wall would bring tons of light into the kitchen/entry way, and make a straight line of sight from the front door all the way to the bay windows which makes way more effective use of the space between entry and living room. The walk-in closet is ~5' wide and 6' deep so we'd reclaim 3' and have the closet open towards the window.

End result:

Living room: 11x18 = 198 sq ft -> 13x18 = 234 sq ft
Bedroom: 10.5x14 = 147 sq ft -> 8.5x17 = 144.5 sq ft

Also what would that cost? There's no electrical in any of these walls. I figure we can demolish and paint the new walls ourselves, we just need a bonded guy to install the new walls put up drywall, probably do ~100 sq ft of flooring work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

How insane is this?

That answer depends on why you can't find a home that fits your requirements and/or how far under market you'd be able to buy this one to make these changes worth it.

Based on the fact you're asking about this and a condo I'm going to guess you have no reno experience to gauge how disruptive and expensive this will be.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That’s a terrible idea.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I've never done reno work before but it seems like a three day job max for two people, like it would take more time to get materials in and out of the building than actually build a new straight partition wall and put up the drywall. Looking at zillow at least one other unit in the building has done something similar in the last ten years.

I don't want to say reno cost is not a problem, but the condo is definitely within our budget and meets a lot of other needs/criteria.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

A coworker did something pretty similar last year in order to reorder their living space, but they had already owned the condo for 10+ years and it was explicitly because they could afford to move around some interior walls (they did a lot of the work) but not to buy something that actually met their needs in their neighborhood because all the prices have rocketed in that time.

You would obviously want to get an actual professional to confirm you can move those walls if this is a requirement for you buying the place.

Also from everything I have heard, condo renovations make your neighbors/condo partners hate you and drives everyone nuts, so there is that to look forward to.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I've never done reno work before but it seems like a three day job max for two people, like it would take more time to get materials in and out of the building than actually build a new straight partition wall and put up the drywall. Looking at zillow at least one other unit in the building has done something similar in the last ten years.

lol

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Actually answering your question for real, you are in the SFBA, where the market for renovation work is the most competitive out of any region in the entire United States. The price of a renovation will also be at least 30% above average, and at worst 50% to 100% above average. The quality of workers who are willing to deal with a project of your size is going to be complete and utter poo poo. So unless you already have a GC that you know, you're going to get obliterated by all of the people who will make offers for your project.

Additionally looking into the bay area, it is no longer a sellers market and probably an even market. In bay area terms, this means that condo prices and townhouse prices are probably going down, because the even market is pretty much boosted by SFHs. There is a very large amount of condo/townhouses coming up the market this year, all of which are going to be competing against other sellers. So the risk of your house value dropping if it is a condo is not looking good.

Finally, you are dealing with the CA permitting process in a region that is pretty strict. You are dealing with wall changes, which can drag on the remodel; you need somebody who can do electric work along with framing work and a structural engineer or architect to confirm the load bearing nature of walls before you submit.

So the question: do you have somebody or connection that will help you establish the ins and outs of the construction and material industry, esp in a competitive market like the bay area? Are you good at determining pricing for construction and pricing the value of houses (meaning are you personally a real estate agent)? If no, then holy poo poo you should walk away right now.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hadlock posted:

I've never done reno work before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I've never done reno work before but it seems like a three day job max for two people

lol