Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

Waroduce posted:

I dont think there is a huge difference just cause your Aussie. All my benefits are global just like everyones..there are hiltons and priority pass etc etc everywhere

Unfortunately most of the big sign up bonuses on cards and cards with outsized benefits are US only. Many (most?) other countries regulate swipe fees so they don't get the same kind of cards as the ROI isn't there for banks. Europe sucks for churning, for example. I seem to remember hearing that there's a bit fat bonus for the AUS version of the Amex Plat, but it's not something I've looked into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Small White Dragon posted:

- CSR earns faster for most people (3x dining/travel) than Amex (5x flights and prepaid hotels).
- They both transfer to partners, but CSR lets you redeem as cash towards travel for 1.5cpp. (Note the Business Amex Plat has a similar benefit, but only for flights).
- They both have Priority Pass, although Amex excludes participating airport restaurants now.
- Amex Plat includes Centurion Lounge access and SkyClub access when flying Delta. CSR has no equivalent benefit.
- Amex Plat gives Hilton Gold and Marriott Gold status. CSR has no equivalent benefit.
- CSR's travel credit is way easier to use (and larger) than Amex's airline incidental credit.

In a sense, they're sort of complementary because the Plat is a great card to hold for the benefits but not the most rewarding for spend, while the CSR is the other way around.

FYI there's another no-AF Wells Fargo card you can pair it with to get a 50% bonus when redeeming towards flights (so an effective 4.5% just like the CSR).

Thanks for this, this is very helpful. I keep on meaning to reevaluate our credit cards, since I have a CSR and my wife has an Amex Plat. Most of our travel spending goes through the CSR, which sounds like the way to go.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
CSR just bumped their annual fee and added some negligible (and seemingly temporary) benefits with DoorDash and Lyft.

Personally, I always thought the CSR was always such a good value due to the $300 travel credit which essentially made the net annual fee of only $150; or $55 more than the CSP. Given that the CSR earned 3x points on travel/dining versus the 2x points on the CSP, this was easily made up with moderate spending; even without the consideration of the 1.5x redemption rate through their travel portal.

I think they left the card so overvalued to draw in customers, but are now trying to capitalize with the added $100 annual fee and some added benefits which are likely little cost to them and probably won't be around in a couple years. That being said the card is still a good value if you spend enough. Most competing premium cards have you eat the $450 annual fee outright. The CSR is now essentially a $200 annual fee unless you dont use your card for anything but groceries and gas. If that is the case, why do you have it to begin with.

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
I just got my CSR a month ago. Chase is definitely losing money on me this year.

DoorDash does group ordering, which is a good way to go if you want to maximize your $60 credit. Start a group lunch order at work, have your coworkers pay you back, pocket the cash. We were already doing this at my office, so I'm probably keeping this card next year.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

CSR just bumped their annual fee and added some negligible (and seemingly temporary) benefits with DoorDash and Lyft.

Personally, I always thought the CSR was always such a good value due to the $300 travel credit which essentially made the net annual fee of only $150; or $55 more than the CSP. Given that the CSR earned 3x points on travel/dining versus the 2x points on the CSP, this was easily made up with moderate spending; even without the consideration of the 1.5x redemption rate through their travel portal.

I think they left the card so overvalued to draw in customers, but are now trying to capitalize with the added $100 annual fee and some added benefits which are likely little cost to them and probably won't be around in a couple years. That being said the card is still a good value if you spend enough. Most competing premium cards have you eat the $450 annual fee outright. The CSR is now essentially a $200 annual fee unless you dont use your card for anything but groceries and gas. If that is the case, why do you have it to begin with.
The card was reportedly not profitable. This seems like an easy way to charge more but also provide benefits with heavy breakage.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My problem with those benefits are that Door Dash and Lyft aren't really necessary services. Door Dashing food has a big over head, so in order to recoup the money you have to waste money on food deliveries/fees/tips. Travel is one thing, since you can shop around for a travel deal, but the others just have no value.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

My problem with those benefits are that Door Dash and Lyft aren't really necessary services

I know ride share is losing money on every ride because X and they're ruining everything because Y but I just did the math and we live near a major city and we would save somewhere between $200-350 annually, even factoring in the $550 CSR annual fee, with the lyft pink membership. Just because it doesn't make sense for your situation doesn't mean there's a bunch of people out there who depend on it near-daily. I save a couple hundred bucks each month in my city using uber rather than owning a car once you break out the costs.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Tryke posted:

I just got my CSR a month ago. Chase is definitely losing money on me this year.

DoorDash does group ordering, which is a good way to go if you want to maximize your $60 credit. Start a group lunch order at work, have your coworkers pay you back, pocket the cash. We were already doing this at my office, so I'm probably keeping this card next year.

Are you the guy I worked with as a teenager who clipped coupons then dropped by to see if I wanted to buy Mach 3 razors for $2 off?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Is there a specific card I should be aiming our business for just straight cash back rewards? We have a 25k limit on our Discover It 1.5%, we do anywhere from 75k to 150k a year in purchases on it, usually gas, materials, restaurants, etc. Hotel or Travel rewards aren't really a bonus since we don't fly and rarely sleep at hotels.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Are you looking for just a straight percentage for all purchases or do you not mind one that focuses on certain categories or rotates quarterly? AF or no AF?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

Is there a specific card I should be aiming our business for just straight cash back rewards? We have a 25k limit on our Discover It 1.5%, we do anywhere from 75k to 150k a year in purchases on it, usually gas, materials, restaurants, etc. Hotel or Travel rewards aren't really a bonus since we don't fly and rarely sleep at hotels.

Citi Double Cash card is 2% cash back on all purchases. No AF.

Another alternative is the Costco Anywhere Visa Business.

4% cash back on gas up to $7,000 annually
3% cash back at restaurants and travel
2% cash back on Costco purchases
1% cash back on anything else

The catch is that the cash back is in the form of a Costco certificate. This can be exchanged for either cash or used as payment at Costco. So if you don’t have a Costco nearby this wouldn’t be a great option. PBUC.

AF is $55, which also covers your Costco membership.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I can’t figure out how to enable DashPass on my CSR. I signed up and added the card to my payments but it still wants me to pay for DashPass.

Edit: I had to delete the CSR card from the website (because the app doesn’t let you delete the only card), then go back through the activation flow from the email to add it, and it worked.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 18, 2020

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008

smackfu posted:

I can’t figure out how to enable DashPass on my CSR. I signed up and added the card to my payments but it still wants me to pay for DashPass.

I think you enable it through the Chase app or website, much like the Priority Pass membership.

Vomik posted:

Are you the guy I worked with as a teenager who clipped coupons then dropped by to see if I wanted to buy Mach 3 razors for $2 off?

Ha! Our office bills by the hour, and there are limited options within a short drive. We'll do group orders to get some variety without taking a long lunch.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

halokiller posted:

Are you looking for just a straight percentage for all purchases or do you not mind one that focuses on certain categories or rotates quarterly? AF or no AF?

I tried categories but they were generally unhelpful, when you buy 8000 worth of used highway W beams or 12k worth of concrete block it doesnt help if theres a quarterly double return on amazon or whatever. AF is fine

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Sock The Great posted:

The catch is that the cash back is in the form of a Costco certificate. This can be exchanged for either cash or used as payment at Costco. So if you don’t have a Costco nearby this wouldn’t be a great option. PBUC.

No AF on the Citi Costco Visa, but you have to have a Costco membership. Which has a $55-110 membership fee.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

thatguy posted:

I tried categories but they were generally unhelpful, when you buy 8000 worth of used highway W beams or 12k worth of concrete block it doesnt help if theres a quarterly double return on amazon or whatever. AF is fine

Uhh just hold on that project until best block or nucor comes up as a category? The LDs are worth it when you get that sick 5% back.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Anybody have personal experience with the double cash card? To really max out the use I'm gonna need at least a 20k+ limit when I have large scale materials or equipment purchases. My personal credit is in the low 700s, my partner's is higher but our business has stellar history and been in business since 2004. If they just plop me with like a 5k max or something won't be nearly as useful

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

FYI 4% on gas is only the first year. After that it’s 1%.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Josh Lyman posted:

I think this is incorrect. My account, opened in 2016 received 4% on fuel last year, and the Your Rewards Details page says:

quote:

4%

Cash back on eligible gas worldwide including gas at Costco.

For the first $7,000 per year and then 1% thereafter

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

On year 3 of the Costco CC and gas is still 4%

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

thatguy posted:

Anybody have personal experience with the double cash card? To really max out the use I'm gonna need at least a 20k+ limit when I have large scale materials or equipment purchases. My personal credit is in the low 700s, my partner's is higher but our business has stellar history and been in business since 2004. If they just plop me with like a 5k max or something won't be nearly as useful

You could try applying for the Alliant CU card. It has a $99 AF, but the cashback is 3% first year and 2.5% the following years and I've read the initial credit limit starts at 15k.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

I think this is incorrect. My account, opened in 2016 received 4% on fuel last year, and the Your Rewards Details page says:
Apologies, you’re right. I somehow misread that.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Is there a limit to how many times you can do the Hyatt $5k spend and get the two qualifying nights per $5k spend?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Insane Totoro posted:

Is there a limit to how many times you can do the Hyatt $5k spend and get the two qualifying nights per $5k spend?
Nope! You can spend $150k (or whatever it is) and get Globalist status if your heart really so desires.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
At the rate work is sending me out this year.... Why not?

Boggles my mind they consider a Hyatt Place equivalent to a Park Hyatt in terms of qualifying nights.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to book an AirBNB stay. Does anyone now if the Uber card will still give me regular cashback points or the new Uber credits?

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 23, 2020

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I just cashed out my remaining points.... Looks like my account is still generating dining points at 4% as of Monday. I'm not sure if points earned will show up before your next statement date though? Pretty sure the changeover will happen Feb 1.

I could deal with the Uber credits deal, but knocking my dining rebate down to 3% is really annoying.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I just cashed out my remaining points.... Looks like my account is still generating dining points at 4% as of Monday. I'm not sure if points earned will show up before your next statement date though? Pretty sure the changeover will happen Feb 1.

I could deal with the Uber credits deal, but knocking my dining rebate down to 3% is really annoying.
Your changeover will happen the day after your statement closes in February, though if you got the card in the last 12 months it may not be until April I think.

My changeover date is Feb 4 but I’ve already switched my spending to the Savor.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Figured I'd float this again. I got a couple referrals this month, so it's nice to see it getting some use. Any other goon success stories?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Goon Credit Card random referral page:
:siren:https://goo.gl/aA5mzH:siren:

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Figured I'd float this again. I got a couple referrals this month, so it's nice to see it getting some use. Any other goon success stories?

It works! I've had a couple referrals from Chase. Thanks a bunch for putting this thing together.

I would recommend everyone recheck their links, though. It seems a lot of them have expired.

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Haven't gotten any myself, but I'm glad it's working for others!

Could we add a Southwest card page? It's prime Companion Pass season, one of my favorite values in points/miles travel. It's a general landing page where people can pick whichever of the 5 cards they want.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

lgcty5 posted:

Haven't gotten any myself, but I'm glad it's working for others!

Could we add a Southwest card page? It's prime Companion Pass season, one of my favorite values in points/miles travel. It's a general landing page where people can pick whichever of the 5 cards they want.

Done.

squirreltactic posted:

It works! I've had a couple referrals from Chase. Thanks a bunch for putting this thing together.

I would recommend everyone recheck their links, though. It seems a lot of them have expired.

Probably a good idea. Thanks!

EDIT: I checked and a lot have infact expired. Maybe take a pass on any you have and see if they are good. I can add whatever pages people what, just let me know.

Super-NintendoUser fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 24, 2020

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Not yet I don't think, but I went ahead and updated my links just in case.

Small White Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 25, 2020

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

I'm interested in getting a new credit card. I already have an account at Alliant, so I was looking at their 2.5% cash back card. The cash back looks pretty nice and it's low maintenance, since I don't have to worry about points or anything. However, I'm also interested in some of the hotel credit cards. For example, it seems like the 100,000 points bonus with the Marriott Bonvoy card would be good for ~3-10 free hotel nights. Is that right? I don't really like dealing with points, but traveling more might be fun. Any opinions on hotel credit cards?

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009

DorianGravy posted:

I'm interested in getting a new credit card. I already have an account at Alliant, so I was looking at their 2.5% cash back card. The cash back looks pretty nice and it's low maintenance, since I don't have to worry about points or anything. However, I'm also interested in some of the hotel credit cards. For example, it seems like the 100,000 points bonus with the Marriott Bonvoy card would be good for ~3-10 free hotel nights. Is that right? I don't really like dealing with points, but traveling more might be fun. Any opinions on hotel credit cards?

There's a $99 annual fee on that card after the first year and with the $10,000 cap on cashback ($250 cashback) you'd only get halfway to covering the annual fee from the addition 0.5% vs a non-fee card like Citi's Double Cash of the Fidelity visa which gets 2%.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess the cap is monthly, not annually. So if you plan to put over $20,000 on it a year it may actually be worth it.

I personally would still look at category specific cards which may earn you more for regular spending and see if you still would cover $20,000 afterward for non-category purchases. Or if you don't want to deal with multiple cards then this may be a good choice for thin wallet types.

Girbot fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jan 25, 2020

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Girbot posted:

There's a $99 annual fee on that card after the first year and with the $10,000 cap on cashback ($250 cashback) you'd only get halfway to covering the annual fee from the addition 0.5% vs a non-fee card like Citi's Double Cash of the Fidelity visa which gets 2%.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess the cap is monthly, not annually. So if you plan to put over $20,000 on it a year it may actually be worth it.

I personally would still look at category specific cards which may earn you more for regular spending and see if you still would cover $20,000 afterward for non-category purchases. Or if you don't want to deal with multiple cards then this may be a good choice for thin wallet types.

Thanks for the feedback. I looked around more and decided to go with the World of Hyatt card. It's got a straightforward and (apparently) useful reward structure, and more or less fits what I'm looking for.

I'm sure cards with rotating categories or other sorts of reward structures can be useful, but I'd honestly prefer to put as little effort as possible into optimizing reward strategies. World of Hyatt seems like it will give me 3-10 free hotel nights for completing the initial offer, and then I should be able to get a handful of rooms for free each year after that, which seems like fun. A normal cash back card is useful, but I'm starting to feel like it's the difference between getting cash and a gift card for Christmas; the cash may be more useful, but you might just spend it on groceries/rent instead of something more adventurous. Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. Has anyone here had good/bad experiences with the World of Hyatt card?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I currently have a CSP and CFU. All of my spending is on the CFU until May since I’m on the 60k UR points in the first 12 months signup bonus. My next card is likely going to be the Ink Business Preferred, which I had planned on getting the sign up bonus and then canceling after the first year.

However, examining my spending and the bonuses for the IBP, I think it may be better for me to keep the IBP and cancel my CSP. I eat out very infrequently (like $30 a month on lunches with my work colleagues and maybe 2 or 3 $100+ dinners per year).

I do book a couple family vacations per year, which would get me 3x with the IBP instead of 2x with the CSP. I’d also get 3x on my home internet bill with IBP. I spend way more on travel and than I do on restaurants per year.

I’d still keep the CFU for all spending outside my internet bill and travel.

The IBP still has the 1.25x bonus when spending UR through their portal, no foreign transaction fees, and the same AF as the CSP. Is there any other benefit with the CSP that I am overlooking?

This would have the added benefit of me being without a Sapphire product for a couple years and I’d be able to come back for a sign up bonus eventually.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DorianGravy posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I looked around more and decided to go with the World of Hyatt card. It's got a straightforward and (apparently) useful reward structure, and more or less fits what I'm looking for.

I'm sure cards with rotating categories or other sorts of reward structures can be useful, but I'd honestly prefer to put as little effort as possible into optimizing reward strategies. World of Hyatt seems like it will give me 3-10 free hotel nights for completing the initial offer, and then I should be able to get a handful of rooms for free each year after that, which seems like fun. A normal cash back card is useful, but I'm starting to feel like it's the difference between getting cash and a gift card for Christmas; the cash may be more useful, but you might just spend it on groceries/rent instead of something more adventurous. Anyway, thanks again for the feedback. Has anyone here had good/bad experiences with the World of Hyatt card?

There's a World of Hyatt ref page on the Goon Ref Sheet FYI.

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

DorianGravy posted:

I have it and it's one of the few cards I consider a keeper. I usually make Explorist every year, and the 5 qualifying nights the card gives you plus the extras for spend are what allow me to do that easily + travel. I often get upgraded rooms/suites as a result (got some nice perks even just from the Discoverist status that holding the card gives) and I always get outsized value from the annual free night certificate. I'm using this year's in Naples, FL for a room that would normally be $400+. Not bad for the $95 annual fee.

Plus the quarterly promotions they run can be really beneficial. This past year I had a few occasions where paying (reasonable) cash rates for 2-3 nights led to getting a free night plus a bit extra because of the promotion and credit card points combined.

lgcty5 fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

lgcty5 posted:

I have it and it's one of the few cards I consider a keeper. I usually make Explorist every year, and the 5 qualifying nights the card gives you plus the extras for spend are what allow me to do that easily + travel. I often get upgraded rooms/suites as a result (got some nice perks even just from the Discoverist status that holding the card gives) and I always get outsized value from the annual free night certificate. I'm using this year's in Naples, FL for a room that would normally be $400+. Not bad for the $95 annual fee.

Plus the quarterly promotions they run can be really beneficial. This past year I had a few occasions where paying (reasonable) cash rates for 2-3 nights led to getting a free night plus a bit extra because of the promotion and credit card points combined.

Also, if you fly AA, the status that comes with the card qualifies you for the cross-over rewards.

And you can spend towards status if you're close to a tier/milestone.

Glad I got this one before it was covered by 5/24.