Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

zoux posted:

The -D had one of these too but they never used it. It was on the very bottom of the saucer

So did Voyager, which blew my mind when I saw the article where they showed the design sketches for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

It was Orci with the Star Trek 3 script that had Vulcan terrorists trying to time travel, right?

Orci with JD Payne and Patrick McKay, yes. Some rogue Vulcans got their hands on some leftover red matter from the Narada (don't ask me what the gently caress) and set about to detonate it, annihilate the alternate timeline and restore the Prime timeline. Kirk & Co. were assigned to take them down. Kirk and Spock both have their own individual crises of conscience--for Spock, it would mean Vulcan is back, for Kirk it would mean he'd get to know his father. ShatnerKirk shows up through time vortex bullshit and tells PineKirk that he needs to ensure that the alternate timeline survived because he already lived his full life.

It was so bad that all three were fired from writing, Orci was fired from directing, and then Doug Jung and Simon Pegg had like two months to write the script for what became Beyond.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Retrowave Joe posted:

So did Voyager, which blew my mind when I saw the article where they showed the design sketches for it.

The Aeroshuttle was the biggest dropped ball in Voyager. It was even designed so they could reuse the Runabout sets from DS9, and it looked cool as hell too. Though if they used it on Voyager we wouldn't have gotten the Delta Flyer.

Or maybe they could have made both work. Who knows.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hate the delta flyer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I hate the delta flyer

I'm sorry that you are wrong :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Aeroshuttle looked cooler than the Delta Flyer and if they really wanted cool interiors they could've just made new sets instead of using the runabout one.

Retrowave Joe posted:

The one on the Enterprise-D and E was meant to be like a special diplomatic shuttle with its own dock. The one on Voyager was like a super-runabout shuttle for if they needed something heftier than a regular shuttle. (The D had runabouts in its main shuttlebay instead but Voyager wasn't big enough for that)

They were going to use the D's captain's yacht once but realised it would cost money so they used a 'diplomatic shuttle' instead.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 24, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm sorry that you are wrong :v:

Now I'm trawling your rap sheet looking for some way to get you banned

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also they did test footage for the aeroshuttle but it was canned because it was too similar to Insurrection using the captain's yacht. (The design you see here wasn't quite final, the FX guy says they would've made the wings a little less blunt if they'd kept going)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhZ6D-PLssQ

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I feel the jarring cut of Picard at Starfleet to him waking at the chateaux along with them doubting what he is saying along with no one else on footage is hinting at something. No way that cut was normal

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

teacup posted:

I feel the jarring cut of Picard at Starfleet to him waking at the chateaux along with them doubting what he is saying along with no one else on footage is hinting at something. No way that cut was normal

It felt really weird just watching it that in the most protected/safe planet in the entire federation - a literal utopia - an attack like that could be carried out.

So someone gets blown up - on earth an actual paradise - and one of the most famous people in existence is badly hurt in the explosion and there's no investigation? Or her boyfriend gets killed and nobody is busy hunting her down to question her? Starfleet and earth authorities are just ignoring this? Something is definitely up.

(section 13, etc)

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

marktheando posted:

What's the significance of Data having five queens of hearts in the poker game? Has he been cheating this whole time?

It's most likely pure coincidence, but I noticed last night when re-watching the episode "Measure of a Man" to prep for the new series that the card Data is holding uncovered in the opening scene poker game is the Queen of Hearts.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
I swore after season 2 of Discovery that CBS was never going to get another penny from me again, but I’ll be damned if I didn’t break out the credit card this afternoon. And you know what, this time it looks like it might actually be worth it.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Just watched it. Solid TV show. Still waiting for the philosophy to kick in, but I am cool with detective Picard.

In that scene when he was telling Dahj her life has value, I was like "yeah, that's the guy I wanted to see back."

The whole thing felt nicely grounded. It's obviously not the same format as TNG, but their matter-of-fact presentation of the 24th setting is a welcome return. I love that it's not overhyped about itself, just diving back into the established setting 20 years later.

I am going to watch this pretending that this was the show that they made right after Voyager.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

TealShark posted:

It's most likely pure coincidence, but I noticed last night when re-watching the episode "Measure of a Man" to prep for the new series that the card Data is holding uncovered in the opening scene poker game is the Queen of Hearts.

I choose to believe this was intentional just because of all the other deep cut, clearly cared for prop references in the episode.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

DaveKap posted:

Finally, I hope this guy dies a horrible death by the close of this season.

Don't worry, he's got big Theon Greyjoy energy, which can't end well for him.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
Juicy hot take
Starfleet was forever changed at Wolf 359. I think it is symbolized in DS9 perfectly that Starfleet has gone from a peaceful exploratory organization to a more bellicose stance, as the galaxy around it became more and more dangerous. This is represented best I feel in Improbably Cause/The Die is Cast, when Starfleet is unwilling and seemingly OK with the genocide of another civilization just because it is threatening. Indeed during the Klingon-Federation skirmishes and later, the Dominion War, the Federation demonstrates it is, unlike it's neighbors perceive, an adept, efficient and powerful military force.

Leading into ST: Picard, this seems to match what Jean-Luc thinks. The old Starfleet, even at the height of the Klingon-Federation cold War, was perfectly willing to ally with and engage the Klingon Empire in diplomacy, but still had its militarist elements that would reject peace. That darkness has always been within Starfleet, and won't be going away.

While on the subject of moving into Nemesis era/Post Dominion War, it's stated that the war took the most toll on the Klingons of all the allies, to the point where Section 31 says it would take decades before they would return to pre-war strength. This would seemingly leave the Romulans & Federation as the two remaining superpowers of the quadrant, and such a huge disaster as the supernova would have wiped out one of those superpowers overnight.

Now, the Federation has lost its primary shipyard, a colony within Sector 001, and the changing of the guard from peaceful exploration to splendid isolation has fully completed. I think the Romulans have infiltrated starfleet a bit more than they have in the past, and like in STO, they are trying to use borg technology to reclaim or get back to their old superpower status. If that is the case I'm looking forward to crazy ships like the Tal Shiar ships from STO :D

Overall, I quite enjoyed the opener, I'm with it till the end of the season, and it's just a pleasure to watch Sir Patrick back in the saddle again.

I didn't pick up on the 5 Q's on cards :O, or the Maddox/Lore connection.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I know it's coming eventually and I cannot loving wait for the rerun of the First Contact "There's another starship incoming... It's the Enterprise!" moment, only we get to see it from the opposite perspective this time and see what they decide to do with the Enterprise-F. Because while I used to think it was ugly as poo poo the STO F and I'd actually love for it to show up on screen now.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 24, 2020

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Senor Tron posted:

Wonder what the Doc is up to. If the Federation has gone all out against artificial intelligence then having him walking around probably gets a lot of backlash.

I'm totally down for some Picardo in this fine Picard show, and with how Starfleet/The Federation have gone hard against synthetic life I think he'd offer a good perspective on that. There's also some very interesting perspectives they could decide to explore with that if they wanted to, is he actually the ideal good version of an artificial life because he can be disabled so easily (removal of mobile emitter, or shut down the hologram with some sort of command override)? Was he forced to accept those types of limitations/control methods after the attacks? Has the Federation doubled down on the use of holograms instead of people for jobs they don't want to do (the proverbial hologram miners) after having presumably tried to put data-like synthetic life into that position and being attacked by them?

I'm also very curious how so much synthetic life came about, enough to stage a major attack. Maybe there's Borg tech at work there that made it possible, but going from "Data is super unique" to "Here's your race of datas" is a major step in a very short time period.

Lots of questions come to mind and I'm sure we won't get all the answers even after the show runs its full course, but I'm intrigued by what they're exploring and I approve of the course they've taken so far.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I know it's coming eventually and I cannot loving wait for the rerun of the First Contact "There's another starship incoming... It's the Enterprise!" moment, only we get to see it from the opposite perspective this time and see what they decide to do with the Enterprise-F.

Captain Kim! (no relation)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Someone posted the theory that the Romulans are trying to capture one of those super androids to use the tech to create an army, which is certainly possible. What I'll be curious about is whether we find out if there is still a Romulan Empire or if it collapsed after 2387.

I am also very curious as to how Seven and those other ex-Borg play into this, and whether this show is going to establish that the Borg are gone now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Captain Kim! (no relation)

You know what, gently caress it, make Harry Kim the captain of the F. Give Garrett Wang some recompense for 7 years of hell on Voyager.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

nine-gear crow posted:

I know it's coming eventually and I cannot loving wait for the rerun of the First Contact "There's another starship incoming... It's the Enterprise!" moment, only we get to see it from the opposite perspective this time and see what they decide to do with the Enterprise-F. Because while I used to think it was ugly as poo poo the STO F and I'd actually love for it to show up on screen now.

I mean, it'd be such blatant fanservice moment, but sign me up for Picard doing some somewhat shady off book thing at some point, and then the Federation sends the goddamn Enterprise to bring him in, and we get him in a dinky little ship facing down an extra battle-ready looking Enterprise.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

nine-gear crow posted:

You know what, gently caress it, make Harry Kim the captain of the F. Give Garrett Wang some recompense for 7 years of hell on Voyager.

7 years an ensign lol.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Captain Alexander Rozhenko.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Garrett Wang shows up as... Lieutenant Harry Kim. He’ll make Captain in just 60 more years!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Except Captain Kim was rescued from a parallel timeline where he wasn’t such a dweeb. Prime Kim is still an ensign on the same ship.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want to see Ensign Harry Kim in the background somewhere. Picard walks past him on a Starship and he tries to say he's been waiting for a promotion but they walk past too fast and the door closes on him.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
This show is good. I’m really curious to know more about the Romulan Reclamation Center. At first I assumed that they were scavenging Borg tech, but now I’m wondering if the main thing they’re reclaiming is Romulans, ie. rescuing assimilated Romulan drones. Depending on how many Romulans are actually left in the galaxy, maybe they need every single Romulan they can get.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I mean for real it was absolute dogshit that every member of the Voyager cast got the chance to direct an episode of the series EXCEPT for Garrett Wang. What the gently caress was wrong with Rick Berman? (don't answer that question we'll be here all night)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cojawfee posted:

I want to see Ensign Harry Kim in the background somewhere. Picard walks past him on a Starship and he tries to say he's been waiting for a promotion but they walk past too fast and the door closes on him.
He's Boothby now

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Also as prep, watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWq31STK-0

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRc8EyPoxOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God, The Offspring is such a hard watch in a post-2016 world with its resident rear end in a top hat Admiral's being thing going "I want to rip this child away from their parent and put them in a cage because I consider them less than human." And that's even with Picard going "gently caress off, rear end in a top hat" even chance he gets to him.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Remember, I was assuming that Lore is being stored somewhere by Starfleet, but since Hugh is in play, maybe the Romulans got their hands on him and they're building androids off of him. His neural net was actually more developed than Data's, but he was just an rear end in a top hat about it and felt he was superior to organic life. Because of that, Soong removed a lot of the more "human-life" learning abilities from Data, as well as removing the emotions.

Anyways, androids who were created based off of Lore might be exactly the same types who would attack and destroy a colony, shipyards, refugees, anyone really. If you want to build android soldiers, Lore is a better base than Data.

I bring Hugh up because they might find out about Lore and need to go to him for help in figuring out Lore's plan or how to attack him.

BlockChainNetflix
Sep 2, 2011
I'm confused by the Romulan with the Irish accent. Did the O'Brien's take her in before she moved in with Picard?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nine-gear crow posted:

No don't. I'm still negotiating the trauma of having seen him in Voyager

Just saw Picard. Was a good introduction and set up episode. Glad that I made the effort of watching the short treks, especially the final one tying into the Mars attack. We also watched the first Hugh episode, so I'm looking forward to how the ex Borg are incorporated into what is developing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Love Patrick Stewart's performance in the second one. You can see him steeling himself to do it, and he sells Picard's absolute astonishment at Hugh saying “I”.

TNG was a very lightly serialized show that frequently forgot about past episodes but they never forgot about BoBW and how much it traumatized Picard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That was great. It was fantastic to see Star Trek say, No this is bad, people matter, gently caress you.

Gimme more!

Maybe the Romulan on the Borg cube is Nero's brother or something? it also looks like that the Supernova didn't just destroy Romulus but also a huge chunk of the center of their empire.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Hey its Lol!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also Dog Status : Very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Garrett Wang shows up as... Lieutenant Harry Kim. He’ll make Captain in just 60 more years!

He's now a tour guide at the Voyager museum.