Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz is dead. Rest in piss, Frazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

FrumpleOrz posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm
i know the joke is "5canine" but it took a while not to read it as "ska" and imagining he's just at the starting line skanking his little heart out.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is hopefully not how you learned about this.

It was :geno:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

hi son 📱 Guest Comic Wednesday gets to the bottom of WHO WAS PHONE with the help of @kotopopi !

👉 http://www.kotopopi.com

Pickles

Zits

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is this the size you obtained it at? because this is too small to read for me.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

Safety Dance posted:

Is that... lungs?

I think she's blowing up balloons so that when they're in the tunnel her date will grab them instead of her boobs? Seems like a risque joke for such an old comic but it's the only thing I could think of. :shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I thought it was an inflatable life preserver so she could jump out of the boat and swim away

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (July 17-19, 1916)

This is the sub in question, I think.

sweetguts posted:

I think she's blowing up balloons so that when they're in the tunnel her date will grab them instead of her boobs? Seems like a risque joke for such an old comic but it's the only thing I could think of. :shrug:

As someone else mentioned a bit ago, they're a very old style of water wings.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
So who's picking up Frazz :unsmigghh:

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

THEY LOOK THE SAME. EVERY WOMAN IN THIS STRIP LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Zereth posted:

Is this the size you obtained it at? because this is too small to read for me.
After I cropped down my scan, it was 755x611, yes. I tried expanding it with Imgur's size lettering, but it wouldn't go larger, for some reason.

Here it is bumped up to 1200x971.

And at the same size, but with the nicest-looking Sharpen settings I could work out.

If that looks good, I'll go with that routine for the future strips. And if anyone has tips to improve the output (the sharpened one looks kind of chunky to me, especially with the lettering), please put in a word.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darthemed posted:

After I cropped down my scan, it was 755x611, yes. I tried expanding it with Imgur's size lettering, but it wouldn't go larger, for some reason.

Here it is bumped up to 1200x971.

And at the same size, but with the nicest-looking Sharpen settings I could work out.

If that looks good, I'll go with that routine for the future strips. And if anyone has tips to improve the output (the sharpened one looks kind of chunky to me, especially with the lettering), please put in a word.
It... doesn't really look good but I can at least read it. The dailies have been fine, note. It's just this sunday was much smaller than them, despite the original preseumably being larger as a Sunday strip.

... Hang on, your scans? Are you scanning these in from a source yourself? If so could you just... scan them at a higher resolution?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thanks for posting Moomin and the Brigands, SubNat. I enjoyed reading Moomin and Sniff's Dumbass Adventures. :shobon:

9CL's art is always terrible, but the second panel makes it look like she's trying to squash the sandwich with her butt rather than stomping on it with her feet.

I'm trying to figure out how Holbrook even came up with this tortured analogy. Rapunzel lives in a tower -> tower is high structure -> high structure is up in the clouds -> Rapunzel lives among the clouds???

Oh, come on! At least have Gunther force Luann to say the word 'sex' while asking him. Really make her squirm for being a lovely friend.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is hopefully not how you learned about this.

Curse you! Curse you! It was!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghostlight posted:

i know the joke is "5canine" but it took a while not to read it as "ska" and imagining he's just at the starting line skanking his little heart out.

Ska is Not Dead!

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

amigolupus posted:

9CL's art is always terrible, but the second panel makes it look like she's trying to squash the sandwich with her butt rather than stomping on it with her feet.

Given the comic, this is probably 1. Intentional and 2. Yet another of his fetishes

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Clowns are harmless you loving moron.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 29, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 29, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 29, 1988)

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Juliet Jones, in which Karen isn't even staying for coffee.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Remember Corto, more people die in cars than in planes, or The Duchess takes some kind of perverse pleasure in the whole madness, or We'll see more of Ungern-Sternberg later in this story. But I must make this absolutely clear. Ungern-Sternberg was a real person. Ungern-Sternberg DID try to overthrow the Communists with a second Mongolian Horde. Ungern-Sternberg was - as the old saying goes- as mad as a goose on stilts

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

you think this cat ever goes good

Monty

wait is Monty an artist and a scientist?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Judging from the cats I have had, no. They will never be good. They will be adorable always but they will never hesitate to murder a mouse AND THEN FLIP ITS BLOODY CORPSE ONTO MY LAP THANKS

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Tiggum posted:

Clowns are harmless you loving moron.

John Wayne Gacy though

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Looked ahead on today’s new Dick Tracy, and I am wondering this: I feel like we’ve had a “the villain can’t tell the difference between a tv show/stage play/fictional character and a real person” plot before. Several times in fact. I can’t remember any specific instances, but something about this feel like it’s already ran before.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think you're right and I think that may have been the first reappearance of Splitface. And I also think it's possible that wasn't the first instance either.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I really wish they’d stop leaning on “actually the villain is craaaaa~aaaaazy” as a plot beat. Even the classic caricature baddies were rational actors.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

since when do they live anywhere near a place that'd sell that kind of poo poo

they've previously had to drive like an hour to get a loving burrito, they live in the middle of nowhere

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Zereth posted:

since when do they live anywhere near a place that'd sell that kind of poo poo

they've previously had to drive like an hour to get a loving burrito, they live in the middle of nowhere

Rose is evolving because habaneros are actually pretty hot for many people! In one year she'll be grinding up bhut jolokias to sprinkle on stuff, in two she'll be bottling her own carolina reaper sauce. In five only blood will slake her thirst.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Zereth posted:

It... doesn't really look good but I can at least read it. The dailies have been fine, note. It's just this sunday was much smaller than them, despite the original preseumably being larger as a Sunday strip.

... Hang on, your scans? Are you scanning these in from a source yourself? If so could you just... scan them at a higher resolution?
Here's the same strip at 200, 400, and 600 DPI.

I'm thinking 200 DPI should be sufficient.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rose is gonna eat a pepper and fuckin die

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars is lucky Luke learned to swim off-screen

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kidcoelacanth posted:

Rose is gonna eat a pepper and fuckin die

We can only hope. 🙏
Yeah I noticed that too, and was mildly shocked at 3am.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

I laughed.

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jun 1, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 26-27, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Feb 10-11, 2015)

I think this might be my favorite one.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

drat that's a good robbie & bobby

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Duck

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Darthemed posted:

Here's the same strip at 200, 400, and 600 DPI.

I'm thinking 200 DPI should be sufficient.
Yeah, 200 is plenty. Thanks for going to this effort!

How Wonderful! posted:

Rose is evolving because habaneros are actually pretty hot for many people! In one year she'll be grinding up bhut jolokias to sprinkle on stuff, in two she'll be bottling her own carolina reaper sauce. In five only blood will slake her thirst.
I didn't even notice she'd graduated to habaneros. dang

root
Jun 17, 2000

Booska mask replica...
Here's a little something for the Moomin fans... Bandai of Japan is releasing a new line of collectible figures in May.

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail/?gcode=GOODS-00361377

root fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jan 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

They had to put Lincoln up at the top so the answer "They're all sociopaths and emblematic of the horrors of American Capitalism!" couldn't work.

readingatwork posted:

Old School Peanuts (Jun 1, 1951)

I'm more familiar with the drilpencils version of this strip: