Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It is great that, simultaneously, the argument is being made that Bernie can't be the candidate because as a leftist he'd get crushed in the general elections, and that Bernie can't be the candidate because people who aren't democrats support him.
It's always this "heads I win tails you lose" with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

joepinetree posted:

All you have to know about how sincere these people are with regards to this whole Rogan thing is that all the other democratic campaigns asked to go on his show.

I'm sure it's pretty easy to view going on a lovely show to get non-lovely viewpoints in and rt'ing their endorsements when they're still lovely as separate acts .

Doesn't make a poor choice of rting as a sign Bernie will let Transphobes influence his LGBT policy or that it will really promote shitiness by itself mind.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1220599706306220032?s=21

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
for every chapo trap house voter we lose we'll pick up two from the joe rogan podcast

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Rockit posted:

I'm sure it's pretty easy to view going on a lovely show to get non-lovely viewpoints in and rt'ing their endorsements when they're still lovely as separate acts .

Doesn't make a poor choice of rting as a sign Bernie will let Transphobes influence his LGBT policy or that it will really promote shitiness by itself mind.

This is entirely post facto rationalization and makes no sense.

Are you suggesting that these candidates wanted to go on his show to confront him on his transphobia? Or that these candidates would have balked if, in that program, Rogan had positive things to say about them? Or is it that it is ok to go on the show, and it is ok to hope to get positive comments by going on the show, but somehow retweeting a nice thing said about you crosses the line?

Bo Berry
Sep 21, 2011

Easy breezy beautiful colored world I'm in love with you
R-O-Y-G-B-I-V your colors are a comedy
I dislike Joe Rogan but his audience is significant. I don’t know how but I’m assured that’s the case. Still can’t believe the schmuck from Fear Factor is a cultural icon. A relic from a bygone age given new and terrible life. He’s the bizarro Bryan Cranston.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

joepinetree posted:

This is entirely post facto rationalization and makes no sense.

Are you suggesting that these candidates wanted to go on his show to confront him on his transphobia? Or that these candidates would have balked if, in that program, Rogan had positive things to say about them? Or is it that it is ok to go on the show, and it is ok to hope to get positive comments by going on the show, but somehow retweeting a nice thing said about you crosses the line?

In this case only that last question but it's more like spilling someone's drink accidentally than what twitter's making it out to be.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Wait wasn't Hillary Clinton on Howard Stern's show like 2 weeks ago? If we want to have a discussion about problematic broadcasters,hoooo boy

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oxsnard posted:

Wait wasn't Hillary Clinton on Howard Stern's show like 2 weeks ago? If we want to have a discussion about problematic broadcasters,hoooo boy

If not 2 weeks ago, at least in December 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kHUA-Zma1U

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/04/entertainment/hillary-clinton-howard-stern/index.html

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Rockit posted:

In this case only that last question but it's more like spilling someone's drink accidentally than what twitter's making it out to be.

Do you think that when the Warren campaign was trying to get on the Joe Rogan show, they had decided internally that they wouldn't boost any content from that show? That they would have tried to let the whole thing go by and not mention it at all?

This is a ridiculous attempt to draw some distinction. Presumably when Warren wanted to go on the Joe Rogan show, she wanted positive exposure. And presumably if she had received positive comments during the show, her team would have boosted it's visibility. Because that is what campaigns do.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Craig K posted:

for every chapo trap house voter we lose we'll pick up two from the joe rogan podcast

I get the joke and all, but fwiw the Chapo people and their regular listeners will be just fine with this. They might think Rogan is a hilarious manchild moron, but they also understand realpolitik. And one of them literally released a whole YouTube series viewing MMA through a vaguely leftist lens

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failed Imagineer posted:

I get the joke and all, but fwiw the Chapo people and their regular listeners will be just fine with this. They might think Rogan is a hilarious manchild moron, but they also understand realpolitik. And one of them literally released a whole YouTube series viewing MMA through a vaguely leftist lens

The Jon Bois "Fighting in the Age of Loneliness" videos?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i mean, the absolute most generous i'm willing to be is that i get that there will be otherwise awful people that will support someone you like, but it's still a completely loving idiotic reason to not support someone because SOMEONE ELSE who's a lovely person gave them their endorsement. theoretically, people would vote for those who advocate policies they agree with, not who supports them.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mekchu posted:

The Jon Bois "Fighting in the Age of Loneliness" videos?

Yep

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

yeah, i think that poster's comment would be more properly directed at say, the pod save america crew than chapo

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:hmmyes:

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

joepinetree posted:

Do you think that when the Warren campaign was trying to get on the Joe Rogan show, they had decided internally that they wouldn't boost any content from that show? That they would have tried to let the whole thing go by and not mention it at all?

This is a ridiculous attempt to draw some distinction. Presumably when Warren wanted to go on the Joe Rogan show, she wanted positive exposure. And presumably if she had received positive comments during the show, her team would have boosted it's visibility. Because that is what campaigns do.
Doubt that was the plan for when Bernie went on Fox. This discussion would have happened earlier.

Though i can definitely buy Warren's team is ignorant enough to act like that. There's also a chance they know what's good for them and not piss off twitter.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
This is a good take on the Rogan thing imo:

https://twitter.com/wesinjapan/status/1220522547076222977
https://twitter.com/wesinjapan/status/1220552761906880512

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Now, just to highlight how this entire thing is vapid and meaningless:

The Warren campaign was endorsed, and publicly promoted the endorsement, of one George E Little.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_E._Little

quote:

Little was appointed director of public affairs at the Central Intelligence Agency in October 2010, where he served as the CIA's chief media spokesman, provided strategic counsel to the director and his senior leadership team, coordinated internal communications to CIA employees in the United States and abroad, and managed communications and outreach to the American public. Little began his communications work at the CIA in April 2007 as chief of media relations.

As you may recall, there was this little thing called the CIA torture program during the Bush years. Now, you may say "well, he was only chief of media relations for the CIA for 2 of those years, and his job is PR anyways, so why is this bad?"

Well, remember that movie Zero Dark Thirty? You know, the one that was as explicitly propaganda as you can get? And, perhaps more importantly, that changed the story so that, according to the movie, the only reason Bin Laden was found was the torture program, which is depicted as working?

https://shadowproof.com/2013/05/07/declassified-memo-shows-zero-dark-thirty-filmmakers-were-willing-propagandists-for-cia/

quote:

On July 20, 2011, in an e-mail, Boal thanked then-CIA Director of Public Affairs George Little for “pulling for him” inside the agency. It made “all the difference.” Little responded, “…I can’t tell you how excited we all are (at DOD and CIA) about the project…PS – I want you to know how good I’ve been not mentioning the premiere tickets [smiley face].”

“Boal has been working with us and with the CIA (via George Little) for initial context briefings,” another e-mail sent on June 15, 2011, read. “At DoD this has been provided by Mike Vickers, and at CIA by relevant officials with the full knowledge and full approval/support of Director Panetta.”

So she has been bragging about the endorsement of a guy whose job literally was to do propaganda in favor of torture. And here's the thing, unlike Rogan, a guy like this would likely have a spot in a Warren administration.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Bo Berry posted:

I dislike Joe Rogan but his audience is significant. I don’t know how but I’m assured that’s the case. Still can’t believe the schmuck from Fear Factor is a cultural icon. A relic from a bygone age given new and terrible life. He’s the bizarro Bryan Cranston.

He's entertaining to a big subset of the population, despite being an idiot. Even his tepid endorsement is a good thing for Bernie. Need those kind of voters to not vote for pure evil for once.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

joepinetree posted:

Now, just to highlight how this entire thing is vapid and meaningless:

The Warren campaign was endorsed, and publicly promoted the endorsement, of one George E Little.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_E._Little

As you may recall, there was this little thing called the CIA torture program during the Bush years. Now, you may say "well, he was only chief of media relations for the CIA for 2 of those years, and his job is PR anyways, so why is this bad?"

Well, remember that movie Zero Dark Thirty? You know, the one that was as explicitly propaganda as you can get? And, perhaps more importantly, that changed the story so that, according to the movie, the only reason Bin Laden was found was the torture program, which is depicted as working?

https://shadowproof.com/2013/05/07/declassified-memo-shows-zero-dark-thirty-filmmakers-were-willing-propagandists-for-cia/

So she has been bragging about the endorsement of a guy whose job literally was to do propaganda in favor of torture. And here's the thing, unlike Rogan, a guy like this would likely have a spot in a Warren administration.

On scale of 1 to 10 how vapid is "I concede that this is way worse than what Bernie did even if that's still an minor issue."?

Cause that's what i'm going with.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Cool, so we are agreed that this is a dumb issue being weaponized by people who would never vote Bernie anyways.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Those were really good and the people in the UFC thread here on SA loved them.

Edit - We also love to mock the living hell out of Dana White. Someone went out and found out what color of reddish/purple his face turns to whenever he's huffing and puffing angrily.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 24, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

also this is just one comment from rogans bernie episode:

of course it doesn't mean this guy will start reading lenin and marx, but it's still a push in a better direction

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Almost like united in a shared struggle and winning makes people see each other as allies.

Yadoppsi fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 24, 2020

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

joepinetree posted:

Cool, so we are agreed that this is a dumb issue being weaponized by people who would never vote Bernie anyways.

No poo poo. I knew that beforehand but my mind was easily distracted so that was unclear. Mea cupla.

May I see a source for that Warren acceptance of that endorsement?
Might go on the twitter pit to inform others.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mekchu posted:

Those were really good and the people in the UFC thread here on SA loved them.

It's the exact same kind of vibe you get on Chapo about half the time - but with added Adam Curtis impersonation

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
People in the race eagerly solicit endorsements from people who are a million times worse than Rogan, so this is just the usual centrist double standard bullshit. And even if Rogan was the king of assholes, then so what? Let him dig his own grave then. Bernie ain't gonna change a thing about himself no matter who endorses him.

E: To expand a little on this, the really dumb thing here is that the establishment assholes are essentially asking for literal doublethink here. On the one hand we're supposed to believe that Bernie is some stubborn relic from the past who hasn't changed in 40+ years and thus you shouldn't support him and simultaneously we're supposed to believe that Bernie appearing on platforms that aren't ideologically approved is bad, apparently because that would reinforce the inherent bad message of said platform somehow. But since Bernie will just always do his own thing and he's not gonna change either, then how exactly is that even supposed to be possible? All that could be happening here, by their own logic, is that said platform is giving up precious airtime to the good guys.

the_steve posted:

Same. I thought for sure WWE would lean closer to chud territory

WWE as a company is chud central, but the audience isn't. Though a big part of that is that WWE held a virtual monopoly on pro wrestling in the US for decades and it's only recently that any real alternatives have become available, so who knows how the demographics have shifted.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 24, 2020

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I still trying to figure out how you insist that a candidate must earn your vote, and also say you'll write in a guy who isn't even running within the same tweet.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Funny how all these people weren't whining about Joe Rogan back when Bernie Sanders actually went on his show, and would be touting the poo poo out of Rogan if he endorsed someone like Biden, Warren, or Mayo Pete.

Like him or not, Joe Rogan saying "I think I'll vote for Bernie" is 1000 times more valuable than getting an endorsement by the NYT or an MSNBC hack.

I totally get why centrist succ dams are coming trying to hit Bernie with this because they literally got nothing else at this point and he's still surging, but if you're a Sanders supporter and this is problematic for you then you're out of your goddamn mind. Joe Rogan's audience is massive and a LOT of his listeners are the type that don't vote or have given up on politics a long rear end time ago and thats exactly the type of people Bernie Sanders and his movement needs to join him in enacting significant change in this country because Bernie is not gonna be able to do it by himself in office, there needs to be an overwhelming groundswell of support. Focusing on some of the things Rogan as said in the past or some of his listeners is a classic example of self defeating missing the forest for the trees nonsense. I just hope Bernie do something incredibly loving stupid and "reject" Joe Rogan now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hanales posted:

The president of the United States was literally a b-list celebrity when he ran.

He was more like the A-list of the D-list.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ague Proof posted:

If you don't let Joe Rogan call you slurs, Biden wins.

It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

VitalSigns posted:

Seems weird that criticizing bigotry is the only thing that's not allowed in a "big tent"

Doctor Jeep posted:

also this is just one comment from rogans bernie episode:

of course it doesn't mean this guy will start reading lenin and marx, but it's still a push in a better direction

No matter how one wants to phrase it, onboarding platforms for leftist politics and leftist opinions have to start somewhere, and that usually involves education, changing minds, and catching the attention by popular appeal of those who skip-out or see themselves as existing outside of the culture war, in a space of more fluid vulgarity. You don't need to like people to have solidarity with them, you just need to identify the route of common struggle, appeal to it, and see if it persuades. And then keep trying. Appealing to people who might hate you for what you are is one of the hardest parts of this poo poo, since it's much easier to end up divided than it is to unite. It takes discipline, thick skin, wit, and perseverence. Usually a person's hatred for what you are is rather skin-deep and socially imposed over years or decades. Beneath that, the hope is that there is common interest that can be built upon in order to overcome prejudice, phobias, racial bribes, etc, and generate lasting class solidarity.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think it's a pretty good sign this is the closest thing to a controversy that Bernie has had so far.

And echoing that above guy's tweets, yes, you have no idea how big Rogan is in the gym/male athleisure community. It's...baffling to be quite honest.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Rogan's audience isn't interested in politics, except when Rogan is interested. He is a commercial messiah, spiritual leader of cool people who smoke weed and work out at the gym, and it is by his will that some things are deemed not within the realm of nerd losers for a brief period of time.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sundae posted:

*trend keeps going up and looks awesome for Bernie*

*Biden somehow wins Iowa by +20 over Warren, Bernie barely edges past Buttigieg for 4th place.*

*Entire forum dies of liver cirrhosis.*

Let's not kid ourselves, we all gonna be drunk either way.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

At least we’ll have plenty of capable volunteers to help hoe and harvest the freedom wheat.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

joepinetree posted:

It is great that, simultaneously, the argument is being made that Bernie can't be the candidate because as a leftist he'd get crushed in the general elections, and that Bernie can't be the candidate because people who aren't democrats support him.
It's always this "heads I win tails you lose" with him.

An added third option is that up until now, convincing moderate conservative/Republicans was a reason we needed to nominate a moderate. Now that bernie is pulling them in, like you said, it's now a bad thing.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, if anybody else would have done the exact same thing the people who now act shocked and appalled would be praising it as a political masterstroke.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Majorian posted:

It's Michael Tracey, who sucks and is extremely dumb, but I'm guessing he was listening to the episode:

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1218404694248300544
But Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson are ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Meatball posted:

An added third option is that up until now, convincing moderate conservative/Republicans was a reason we needed to nominate a moderate. Now that bernie is pulling them in, like you said, it's now a bad thing.

They've always done that, all evidence that Bernie appeals to Trump voters and Republicans was used to claim Bernie is a secret Republican and just like Trump.

Then five seconds later the people claiming that will tout the genius of moving right to appeal to Trump voters and Republicans