Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I refuse to believe there is no electrical outlets on those walls.

Save yourself a headache and find a different place better suited to you

Or do what you want to do and post a thread about it so we can mock and laugh at you during the process.

Are you in the Bay Area?

Also 3 days lol. That’s TV show poo poo. You’d have a hard time getting the drywall installed and finished in 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I refuse to believe there is no electrical outlets on those walls.

Save yourself a headache and find a different place better suited to you

Or do what you want to do and post a thread about it so we can mock and laugh at you during the process.

Are you in the Bay Area?

Also 3 days lol. That’s TV show poo poo. You’d have a hard time getting the drywall installed and finished in 3 days.

Groverhouse2.txt

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Don't believe these haters, I believe in you, in fact I believe in you so much that I think you should take and post tons of pictures just to prove all of these fools and charlatans wrong

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gonna insulate the underside of my stairs, brb

You can put a barbecue right up against the vinyl siding right

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Have you considered a sunken tub

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I've never done reno work before but it seems like a three day job max for two people

Is this too long for a thread title?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Given the likely cost, hassle, and difficulty of finding contractors, it seems like a huge waste to 'reclaim' a 2 foot strip along an 18' wall. It's kind of strange that the bedroom bumps out the way it does, especially near the kitchen counter, so maybe that 2' matters to make the foyer look much more open, I don't know.

I would also consider that you now reduced your smallest dimension of the bedroom below 10'. Even modern construction (cheap tract homes) typically keep bedrooms with a minimum wall length of 10'. Considering you have a window on that one wall, where are you going to put a larger bed? I think the code-minimum wall length is 7', but 8.5' is going to make bed location awkward.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ok I wanted to go back to your actual plan:

If I am reading it correctly, there isn't actually a door between the closet area that is shared with the W/D and the smaller bedroom? That seems like a bad setup, especially for a kids room. You don't want to have to be entering their space to run laundry. Also, you apparently can't get to the W/D without either passing through the bathroom or the bedroom, which also seems needlessly restrictive.

If you're going to go through all the trouble of the renovation, I would say you should fill in the door to the W/D area from the bedroom, add a door so the walk-in closet is accessed directly from their room. I guess you can't just remove the wall separating the W/D from the main room if you want to keep that area out of sight and reduce noise, but put the door there so you can access it directly. I don't really think moving the bedroom wall pays off because you'll also be messing with the room proportions; the living area will be lopsided facing the window, and the bedroom will have one window weirdly tucked in a corner. I mean it works, but it's kind of off kilter.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That condo doesn't really have much storage space to begin with, getting rid of one closet and reducing another by 50% just to gain 2ft of living room space (which you're going to do what with? sit even farther back from your TV?) seems counterproductive to me.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I've never done reno work before but it seems like a three day job max for two people, like it would take more time to get materials in and out of the building than actually build a new straight partition wall and put up the drywall. Looking at zillow at least one other unit in the building has done something similar in the last ten years.

Right into my veins.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists
Anyone familiar at all with Tankless water heaters and what the expensive parts of them to replace/repair are?

Our current tanked water heater is undersized both in BTUs (at least, according to the HVAC guy who noticed the "fittings were burning" and said the inside of the flu is corroding really bad because the heater doesn't get hot enough for the size of our flu) and just in pure size (it's a 40 gallon heater, which doesn't fill our large tub completely before running out of water. The BTU problem has caused enough damage to require replacing some parts of the flu, and they recommended replacing the water heater as well.

In addition to all of that, an annoyance that we've lived with up to now is that hot water in our house takes a decently long time to come out of the tap, even the tap with the shortest run takes ~2 minutes if nobody has used hot water recently, so while they were out we asked what solutions they were for that problem as well, and they indicated a recirculating pump would solve it (well solve it for the first floor, and reduce the problem on the 2nd floor unless we wanted to rip down walls to solve it for both floors) and included that as an option on the quote.

I've had 2 separate contractors out (my normal plumber, plus an additional guy) to quote me, and both independently decided a 75 gallon water heater was the "right" size given our house, once priced it at $3000 fully installed, the other (our normal plumber) priced it at 2750, with an optional recirculating pump for 756 fully installed. What's got me on the fence, is my normal plumber also mentioned that if I wanted, they could install a tankless water heater, which includes a recirculating pump, for 4500. Besides the trade offs of Tankless vs Tanked, the Tanked heater has a 6y warranty on it while the tankless has a 5year warranty on the entire unit, and a 15 year warranty on the heat exchanger.

Is the heat exchanger the main part of a tankless you'd want to ensure was covered by warranty, is is it all the rest of it that's only covered under a 5 year warranty that you'd really be concerned with? Given the recirculating pump bringing the two options closer in price, I'm considering going with the tankless, but trying to suss out exactly how much I should factor the warranty into that decision.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Ashcans posted:

If I am reading it correctly, there isn't actually a door between the closet area that is shared with the W/D and the smaller bedroom? That seems like a bad setup, especially for a kids room. You don't want to have to be entering their space to run laundry. Also, you apparently can't get to the W/D without either passing through the bathroom or the bedroom, which also seems needlessly restrictive.

If you're going to go through all the trouble of the renovation, I would say you should fill in the door to the W/D area from the bedroom, add a door so the walk-in closet is accessed directly from their room. I guess you can't just remove the wall separating the W/D from the main room if you want to keep that area out of sight and reduce noise, but put the door there so you can access it directly. I don't really think moving the bedroom wall pays off because you'll also be messing with the room proportions; the living area will be lopsided facing the window, and the bedroom will have one window weirdly tucked in a corner. I mean it works, but it's kind of off kilter.

This was my problem with the current layout as well.

OP, do this, you can stick a desk in your entryway right off the kitchen and put an extra counter area in your bathroom where the old bathroom door was if you want.

post progress

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Old and busted: Groverhaus
New hotness: Hadlockondo

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sirotan posted:

That condo doesn't really have much storage space to begin with, getting rid of one closet and reducing another by 50% just to gain 2ft of living room space (which you're going to do what with? sit even farther back from your TV?) seems counterproductive to me.

I must be living in bizarro world because to me, that condo has excessive storage space. There are 3! walk-in closets, with two other regular closets. That is an insane amount of storage space for a condo. Plus a lot of condos come with a separate storage space in a garage or basement somewhere.

Also, LOL at 2 people 3 days for that job. Even 3 weeks I think would be pushing it.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

I must be living in bizarro world because to me, that condo has excessive storage space. There are 3! walk-in closets, with two other regular closets. That is an insane amount of storage space for a condo. Plus a lot of condos come with a separate storage space in a garage or basement somewhere.

"I wish this house/condo/apartment had less closets and storage space" - said no True American, ever. Not everyone lives like a minimalist with one bath towel, 2 outfits, and one bedsheet.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I'm sure I'm looking at it from the view of a person that has too much goddamn stuff, but I mean that kitchen doesn't even have a pantry. I make no assumptions to the existence of any additional non-pictured storage options, but even if there were, seems like in a condo you'd generally wish to increase your storage options and not reduce them.

Either way I still don't think taking out two closets just to make the living room 2ft wider is a good idea.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

B-Nasty posted:

"I wish this house/condo/apartment had less closets and storage space" - said no True American, ever. Not everyone lives like a minimalist with one bath towel, 2 outfits, and one bedsheet.

It really is a lot of storage space though, for a 2-bedroom 2-bath space 3 walk in closets and 2 normal closets is a large amount.

But removing 1 and a half closets to recover a 2 foot strip of living room, while also shrinking the smaller bedroom, does not seem wise. I'd rather know that I need to do that after having lived in it for awhile than just go in and be like "yeah I guess let's just move some of these walls around, shouldn't take more than a few hours while I listen to a podcast"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Sirotan posted:

I'm sure I'm looking at it from the view of a person that has too much goddamn stuff, but I mean that kitchen doesn't even have a pantry. I make no assumptions to the existence of any additional non-pictured storage options, but even if there were, seems like in a condo you'd generally wish to increase your storage options and not reduce them.

Either way I still don't think taking out two closets just to make the living room 2ft wider is a good idea.

If there is absolutely no other storage available, then it’s not a crazy amount of storage. I lived in a condo roughly that size for a long time and managed to do it with 2 less walk-in closets without issue. I would rather have more living space than storage space.

Agreed that plan is not worth it at all though.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

We just had our escrow analysis done after buying our home in April 2019. Apparently we had an overage....a significant overage. $4550 worth of overage.

Good lord, Chase.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Omne posted:

We just had our escrow analysis done after buying our home in April 2019. Apparently we had an overage....a significant overage. $4550 worth of overage.

Good lord, Chase.

Did your escrow include property tax, and was your property tax perhaps based on a much higher previous assessment?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

They thought property taxes would be a full amount, but they were only $1400. Next year it'll be $5800, which perfectly aligns with our escrow payments

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Omne posted:

They thought property taxes would be a full amount, but they were only $1400. Next year it'll be $5800, which perfectly aligns with our escrow payments

Happens the first year on a new construction home. I got back 6k from escrow.

They over estimate here and don’t factor the homestead exemption in

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
When the awful Trump tax plan came into being, we scrambled to prepay as much 2018 (I think) property tax as possible in order to get as much credit for property taxes as we could, yay New Jersey. We prepaid I think $4000ish and got $6000 back in escrow thanks to our monthly payment including a portion of taxes. We just did a refi - it funded today, actually - and while it was marked paid, they debited our biweekly payment despite that. Good times! Can't wait to fight over that with the bank.

With that and the existing escrow we should be getting back around $3000, which'll help balance out the payments we had to make at closing.

Gonna be REAL fun dealing with the old and new banks to get actual cash-out and escrow-out...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MJP posted:

When the awful Trump tax plan came into being, we scrambled to prepay as much 2018 (I think) property tax as possible in order to get as much credit for property taxes as we could, yay New Jersey. We prepaid I think $4000ish and got $6000 back in escrow thanks to our monthly payment including a portion of taxes. We just did a refi - it funded today, actually - and while it was marked paid, they debited our biweekly payment despite that. Good times! Can't wait to fight over that with the bank.

With that and the existing escrow we should be getting back around $3000, which'll help balance out the payments we had to make at closing.

Gonna be REAL fun dealing with the old and new banks to get actual cash-out and escrow-out...

Give it a few weeks. It likely will all happen automatically and correctly. Maybe call and start the process on the phone but I wouldn't be mad at anyone yet as the ach likely initiated prior to your payoff landing.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

skipdogg posted:

Happens the first year on a new construction home. I got back 6k from escrow.

They over estimate here and don’t factor the homestead exemption in

This must be dependent on the bank and/or state? I know on our new construction, we qualified for the loan based on the purchase price of the home, and the loan officer based the property tax on similar properties in the neighborhood with similar taxable market values to what our home would presumably be after it was finished. Closed in Sept 2018, mortgage payments until now have been based on an escrow that factored in our property tax on the empty lot, since that was the property tax on record for the remainder of 2018 and all of 2019 (the county does their property tax calcs starting in January for the NEXT tax year, so the home being on the lot in Jan 2019 is used for the 2020 property tax calculation)

Basically, no major overage (I think we received a refund of ~$200 from escrow for the first year), but with the understanding that at some point between 12-18 months after closing, we'll get a big bill for a estimated escrow shortage, and a bump in our monthly escrow to cover the 2020 property tax bill and the same amount going forward, which we've had cash set aside in savings for.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Does anyone have any experience with historic buildings? My house in the bay area would likely qualify for our city's program and the tax credit associated with the designation would probably add up to ~60,000-80,000 in credit that could be diverted to upgrades over 10 years. I think it has a marginally positive influence on home value too.

Downside being that you have an extra layer of permits if we want to do anything that alters the exterior. Depending on who you ask that extra layer is either crucifixion or "w/e deal with it"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

Does anyone have any experience with historic buildings? My house in the bay area would likely qualify for our city's program and the tax credit associated with the designation would probably add up to ~60,000-80,000 in credit that could be diverted to upgrades over 10 years. I think it has a marginally positive influence on home value too.

Downside being that you have an extra layer of permits if we want to do anything that alters the exterior. Depending on who you ask that extra layer is either crucifixion or "w/e deal with it"

I wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

El Mero Mero posted:

I think it has a marginally positive influence on home value too.

Who the gently caress told you this!?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The gutter cleaner dudes told me that I literally don't ever have to clean my gutters since I live on top of a hill and the nearby trees are all below the roof line.

Is that true? It sounds like it makes sense, but I don't wait to accidentally fill my walls with rainwater over the next few years.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The gutter cleaner dudes told me that I literally don't ever have to clean my gutters since I live on top of a hill and the nearby trees are all below the roof line.

Is that true? It sounds like it makes sense, but I don't wait to accidentally fill my walls with rainwater over the next few years.

Maybe it's true? All you have to do is look at your gutters when it's raining. If water is coming out and over them they're blocked.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Unless you get some massive windstorm blowing in leaves on a regular basis, they're probably right. The only thing going in there might be some dust, gravel from asphalt roofing, and bird poo poo. A solid rain usually washes any of that out.

Anyway if your gutter are blocked up, you'll just see them overtopping, it's nit going to fill your walls up with water unless something is drastically wrong. Which, of course, I'm sure will happen.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PitViper posted:

with the understanding that at some point between 12-18 months after closing, we'll get a big bill for a estimated escrow shortage, and a bump in our monthly escrow to cover the 2020 property tax bill and the same amount going forward, which we've had cash set aside in savings for.

I'm not sure if this is a Texas thing, or what, but the part I quoted doesn't really happen here. Maybe because our property tax rates are higher than many other states due to the whole no state income tax thing or what. I can tell you that 95% of people would not properly prepare themselves for the quoted situation.

Take my recent home purchase for example. The taxes for 2018, based on the empty lot were appx 800 dollars for the 2018 tax year. Taxes here in Texas are billed in arrears, so taxes for the calendar year 2018 are due Jan 31, 2019.

I moved in July, 2018, and Feb 2019 I was taxed on the full value of the home. My property taxes went from 800 for the vacant lot, to 7,700 dollars for calendar year 2019, which were just paid last month.

How many people have the financial discipline to make sure they sandbag almost 7,000 in cash savings for the tax bill, plus adjust their mortgage payment by about 650 dollars a month upwards? Not many.

Now my actual property tax after homestead exemption was about 6200, so this year my escrow should adjust just a little bit more down to account for that. But during the mortgage they setup everything assuming you're paying full tax rate on the real value of the home, so people don't get blindsided with a huge bill and a payment they can no longer make.

For the record I live in a lower property tax rate area than many parts of Texas. Before homestead I'm just shy of 2.1% in property tax. It's very common for that to be around 2.8% or even above 3% with areas with Municipal Utility Districts like Houston. A cousin in the Houston area pays 3.25% in property taxes. There's no home value trickery either, it's taxed at market price.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

H110Hawk posted:

I wouldn't touch that with a 10ft pole.

ntan1 posted:

Who the gently caress told you this!?

I mean it's an easy question to answer empirically (more here and here)

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 29, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The escrow company made an error and it could have been corrected if the homeowner calculated their own expected withholding and found it to be way too low. It's as simple as accessing the property tax records and bills and then giving them a call. I think in the example cited, the homeowner just didn't notice or perhaps care, to do that.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Yeah, MN bills their property taxes in two payments, so our 2020 taxes are paid in May and October (I believe). We get two proposed tax statements in Sept and December for the next year, with the final assessment coming in April. So once the final assessment is out, we'll pay the first half up front in May, and our escrow will adjust to cover the next payment when it comes due.

FWIW, our empty lot was $550, and our second proposed statement (after homestead exclusion) was $4500 as of December after the local elections and referendums were voted on for the school district and county projects. So even if someone didn't pay attention during the mortgage process, they'd have roughly 6 months from the second proposed tax statement to get together half of the new tax bill before it came due.

There's also state property tax refunds based on income, and based on percentage increase YoY and based on income. So we'll actually have a chunk of that coming back in August/Sept from the state. MN property taxes can be crazy as gently caress to figure out what you actually end up paying in the end.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Bahaha returning back to form. Like, if there's nothing above the gutters where would the leaves come from? In the fall? Gravity only works one way. Plus just like, look? It takes minutes, get a ladder.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

El Mero Mero posted:

I mean it's an easy question to answer empirically (more here and here)

And every single article you linked either statistically does not say what you want it to say, or is based on an examination of houses in Nebraska.

Neighborhoods with historical houses, if you examine the statistics, in aggregate are going to be more expensive than neighborhoods without them, because historical neighborhoods were mostly designated by rich white people who were in the early 1900s trying to (1) prevent other races from buying houses near them and (2) focused on the 'character' of their neighborhood. However, correlation does not imply causation.

Houses that are historical are a net negative to the people buying houses in the bay area because everybody knows that historical houses are terrible for costs, remodeling, and doing anything. And a poo poo ton of people in the bay area buy old houses to remodel them. They wouldn't touch a historical house ever (except ask me about the folks who bought a historical house, remodeled it unpermitted anyway, and then sold it lol). However, a lot of people want to be in neighborhoods with historical houses, they just don't want to be in one.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

LogisticEarth posted:

Anyway if your gutter are blocked up, you'll just see them overtopping, it's nit going to fill your walls up with water unless something is drastically wrong. Which, of course, I'm sure will happen.

[ASK] me how I just spent over $800 replacing a 20' section of gutter, soffit, fascia, and sub-fascia due to rot.

do never buy

StormDrain posted:

Bahaha returning back to form. Like, if there's nothing above the gutters where would the leaves come from? In the fall? Gravity only works one way. Plus just like, look? It takes minutes, get a ladder.

some of my gutters are over 25' off the ground, which is sloped both along the house and away from the house.

Big 'ol gently caress that, I'll pay someone $100 to climb up there.

the gutters that actually get clogged on my house are WAY easier to get to, I'm just horseshit at keeping up with it

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

ntan1 posted:

And every single article you linked either statistically does not say what you want it to say, or is based on an examination of houses in Nebraska.

Neighborhoods with historical houses, if you examine the statistics, in aggregate are going to be more expensive than neighborhoods without them, because historical neighborhoods were mostly designated by rich white people who were in the early 1900s trying to (1) prevent other races from buying houses near them and (2) focused on the 'character' of their neighborhood. However, correlation does not imply causation.

Houses that are historical are a net negative to the people buying houses in the bay area because everybody knows that historical houses are terrible for costs, remodeling, and doing anything. And a poo poo ton of people in the bay area buy old houses to remodel them. They wouldn't touch a historical house ever (except ask me about the folks who bought a historical house, remodeled it unpermitted anyway, and then sold it lol). However, a lot of people want to be in neighborhoods with historical houses, they just don't want to be in one.

Did you just look at the first link? What's unclear about :

"The results presented suggest that historical designation results in a 16 percent increase in housing value [for mills act houses in California]. This result is significantly higher than the capitalization of the property tax savings would suggest, implying market value in the historical designation itself. "

Like, "what is the impact of this single well-defined element of a house" is really easy to study in the housing market. It's why every single house gets the same low value-high impact upgrades made before selling.

I'm 100% happy with not touching the poop, even in light of the credit's bonuses because there are a lot of non-financial drawbacks that I'm trying to fully understand as well as other clear financial drawbacks that aren't tied to tax credits or valuations (repair costs, the additional permitting process, etc.)

The argument that designation hurts valuations makes 0 sense however. It both sounds like a myth and also doesn't seem to be supported from any research I can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

Did you just look at the first link? What's unclear about :

"The results presented suggest that historical designation results in a 16 percent increase in housing value [for mills act houses in California]. This result is significantly higher than the capitalization of the property tax savings would suggest, implying market value in the historical designation itself. "

Like, "what is the impact of this single well-defined element of a house" is really easy to study in the housing market. It's why every single house gets the same low value-high impact upgrades made before selling.

I'm 100% happy with not touching the poop, even in light of the credit's bonuses because there are a lot of non-financial drawbacks that I'm trying to fully understand as well as other clear financial drawbacks that aren't tied to tax credits or valuations (repair costs, the additional permitting process, etc.)

The argument that designation hurts valuations makes 0 sense however. It both sounds like a myth and also doesn't seem to be supported from any research I can find.

A lot of people will over spend on houses due to clever marketing and fomo. Hence the housing price hyperinflation. People are willing to bid up houses because it's easy to make the payments on an extra $100k in mortgage.

To me, personally, a historic designation would hobble the house's value. To others it might increase it. To you, it will likely cause you to spend more on major repairs than you otherwise would, and depending on the composition of the house it can trivially out spend any credits you might get.