Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hate sites that completely abuse the fact they have your email too. Like I bought something from Fanatics not long ago, and I swear I got something like 13 emails from them in a space of 2 or 3 days. You’re a legitimate business, what the gently caress makes you think this is ok?

I like to spend some time every so often going through my inbox and getting off/adding to block lists poo poo that I’ve just been auto deleting.

I couldn't even buy a sandwich without forking over my loving phone number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Grand Fromage posted:

The systems are so dumb about sending you ads for stuff you just bought. Sorry guys, I don't need a new video card, I bought one from you last week. Now be less dumb and send me that ad in, oh, three years and I'm still probably deleting it unread, but it's at least more than a 0% chance I am thinking about a new card.

I like (loving hate) this the most when I've just booked a holiday to a certain place. Next weeks/months I get advertisements for holidays to the same place, sometimes even the exact same house I decided to rent. How about instead you send me ads for poo poo to do in that area, given how I'm obviously in the market for that?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Orange Devil posted:

I like (loving hate) this the most when I've just booked a holiday to a certain place. Next weeks/months I get advertisements for holidays to the same place, sometimes even the exact same house I decided to rent. How about instead you send me ads for poo poo to do in that area, given how I'm obviously in the market for that?

It's like when a relative thinks they bought you a great gift so they keep buying you variations on that for every single birthday and Christmas for the next few decades, regardless of whether you actually liked it.

Except, y'know, motivated by faceless corporate greed and not misplaced but well-meaning familial affection.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-xIgcjOYA

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Show returns in 1 week, right?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Y'all ready to hear a lot about a lot of societal problems a Bernie presidency could immediately fix?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Y'all ready to hear a lot about a lot of societal problems a Bernie presidency could immediately fix?

Dollars to Pesos we actually get a white paper on Why Bernie is Bad For AmericaTM. :nallears:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The senate is controlled by the Republicans and the predictions don't really seem to imply that's going to change, so it'll be about a bunch of problems that could be fixed if mitch mcconnell didn't exist.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
The senate doesn't get a say in huge swaths of possible executive actions

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Right, but all actual legislation (i.e. anything that can't get through both houses) grinds to a halt, and unless President Anyone-But-Trumpler packs the Supreme Court then even executive orders aren't untouchable. Also there's the problem of all the federal judges the chuds rammed through.... :sigh:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Anything people are clinging to Bernie to solve does. If you could just executive order nationalized healthcare, ubi, free housing, and education debt forgiveness, I'm pretty sure Obama would have tried at least some it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Shitlibs 2020: Better Things Aren’t Possible

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Azhais posted:

Anything people are clinging to Bernie to solve does. If you could just executive order nationalized healthcare, ubi, free housing, and education debt forgiveness,

lol education debt forgiveness can unilaterally be executive ordered by the sec of education, yes

Azhais posted:

I'm pretty sure Obama would have tried at least some it.

do you think Obama would have even wanted to? Biden, the Lehman Bros. choice for VP, was the one who made the law that you can't discharge student debt under bankruptcy

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 10, 2020

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Azhais posted:

Anything people are clinging to Bernie to solve does. If you could just executive order nationalized healthcare, ubi, free housing, and education debt forgiveness, I'm pretty sure Obama would have tried at least some it.

hhaahahahhahahahah good one. You know Obama filled his admin's economic positions with the people that helped cause the crash?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
A forgiven student loan is considered taxable income. So yes, Bernie could wave his hand and drive people into 1.5 trillion dollars of immediate tax problems. Which I suppose is still an improvement since I think you can actually declare bankruptcy to recover from tax debt, unlike student loans.

Bypassing the taxes would need Congress.

All I'm saying is the president has very little power to fire magic bullets at problems. Any Democrat coming in will probably do the easy stuff (competent people in charge of the sundry government divisions, ending the dhs concentration camps, etc). Anything else is going to involve Congress and that's going to be slow and lovely. Trump couldn't even get his stupid wall past a friendly Congress, it won't be any easier getting sweeping social changes past a hostile one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You could just say you don't know how executive power works.

v real loving bad post below.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 10, 2020

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

All I'm saying is the president has very little power to fire magic bullets at problems....

Let me stop you right there.

They're already here. In the thread. Posting. Unironically posting things that look like sarcastic jokes but absolutely aren't. It's too late to say anything that isn't 100% supportive of Bernie.

So until Bernie is defeated in the primary or general election, here's my official take on him: if Bernie is elected, he'll solve the problems by taxing the rich. There's nothing a president can't do as long as they really want to solve problems. An openly hostile congress won't be a barrier to Bernie, and it doesn't matter that hostile and friendly legislatures have thwarted the efforts of pretty much every president over the last couple hundred years. With Bernie, it'll be different, and if you don't believe that, then you're just not liberal enough, sorry, and you want America to be Trumpy.

Honestly, I'm hoping this season covers some non-election topics worth talking about. This current election has been going on since the end of the last one, and I'm not an undecided voter. I'm just waiting to cast my ballot for the person who loses to Trump, because let's face it--much of the whole world is riding a wave of nationalism, and I'm not seeing any signs of that ending in the next 10 months.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Nothing would make me happier than a December 2024 episode reviewing the first 4 years of the new American Golden Age.

The realist in me says the December 2024 episode will be a review of the failed 4 year saga to replace Ginsburg.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Azhais posted:

The realist in me says the December 2024 episode will be a review of the failed 4 year saga to replace Ginsburg.

"We can't possibly appoint a new judge to the bench with the midterms just a short two years away."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's going to be a lot of battles to fight to get some big sweeping changes done. There's a limit to what executive orders can do, and if you don't want them just undone by the next guy and to form lasting institutions, you're gonna need to tangle with congress. Hopefully taking a more aggressive posture from the outset will be more successful rather than Obama's attempts to compromise on everything at every level that people just walked all over.

I still feel like Warren's plans would probably be more effective and Sanders would be more likely to get ensnared in a death struggle with congress on each individual issue, lessening the chance of getting to the rest. Potentially Sanders's charisma would inspire more political movement throughout the rest of the party, but there's a surprising amount of pushback from people who otherwise agree with a lot of his views but are put off by his attitude and his supporters, which I can't figure if it's based in any reality or if it's all just buying into a false narrative being pushed by his detractors as a thinly veiled excuse.

Personally, I'd like to see the show do an expose on the weaseliest candidate who openly parrots Republican talking points and is seeking to grab the nomination with the centrist vote.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's going to be a lot of battles to fight to get some big sweeping changes done. There's a limit to what executive orders can do, and if you don't want them just undone by the next guy and to form lasting institutions, you're gonna need to tangle with congress. Hopefully taking a more aggressive posture from the outset will be more successful rather than Obama's attempts to compromise on everything at every level that people just walked all over.

I still feel like Warren's plans would probably be more effective and Sanders would be more likely to get ensnared in a death struggle with congress on each individual issue, lessening the chance of getting to the rest. Potentially Sanders's charisma would inspire more political movement throughout the rest of the party, but there's a surprising amount of pushback from people who otherwise agree with a lot of his views but are put off by his attitude and his supporters, which I can't figure if it's based in any reality or if it's all just buying into a false narrative being pushed by his detractors as a thinly veiled excuse.

Personally, I'd like to see the show do an expose on the weaseliest candidate who openly parrots Republican talking points and is seeking to grab the nomination with the centrist vote.

Well Sanders scares the media and the DNC in a very profound way. He represents a threat to their organizations at a very fundamental level. The DNC by bringing in a Progressive wave and putting a lot of the neo-Liberals that control the party out to pasture. There are also a lot of centralist/third way Democrats that fear him for exposing what they really are.

The media is scared of him because it is all owned by very wealthy companies and/or people. If Sanders is elected he is gunning for the wealthy directly and will have a large base to enact it. A win by him will likely tip the public towards a lot of unfriendly legislation for wealth and business. They all have a vested interest in making it not happen. This is a big reason why you see little coverage of Sanders on television and in print despite him being the frontrunner and when you do it is generally not positive.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001
The points above are exactly why if a miracle happens and he is elected, he needs to find his Rahm Emanuel. Get a gatekeeper and enforcer that scares the hell out of people to run interference for him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Show back and with good episode tonight. John gets justified criticism for tacking too close to the center at times, but his position tonight of "no, M4A is the only option. Anything else leaves you completely hosed," was correct, and will probably do more to advance the cause of healthcare in this country than anything else on television in the last year.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Dollars to Pesos we actually get a white paper on Why Bernie is Bad For AmericaTM. :nallears:

Your post aged...poorly.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Great show, glad to see it back! America is hosed UP

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if ~10 years after the US finally claws out a true socialized healthcare system, other countries might start getting a bunch of idiots trying to privatize their systems since they wouldn't have America as the big example of why privatized healthcare is terrible to look at anymore.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if ~10 years after the US finally claws out a true socialized healthcare system, other countries might start getting a bunch of idiots trying to privatize their systems since they wouldn't have America as the big example of why privatized healthcare is terrible to look at anymore.

Nope! And 20 seconds after it passes interests in the US will start trying to rip the system apart. There's money to be made!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 18, 2020

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They won't just be trying to rip it apart in the US, they'll spread influence out to rip it apart everywhere else. The US hates the idea of anyone meddling in their politics, but they're quite happy to completely gently caress with everyone else's politics to make them identical to the US (or rather, their notion of what the US should be, because :911: :911: :911: "Manifest Destiny" :911: :911: :911: and all that). John already did at least one piece on the NRA trying to gently caress with gun laws in other countries, but the anti-abortion stuff is also a major scene the US Republican interests are trying to influence overseas too and there are probably at least a few others.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, that's a good point, the tobacco industry too is cleaning up basically everywhere that isn't the US and Europe. Would not shock me at all if people started trying to export private healthcare to nations with a growing middle class.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

tsob posted:

They won't just be trying to rip it apart in the US, they'll spread influence out to rip it apart everywhere else. The US hates the idea of anyone meddling in their politics, but they're quite happy to completely gently caress with everyone else's politics to make them identical to the US (or rather, their notion of what the US should be, because :911: :911: :911: "Manifest Destiny" :911: :911: :911: and all that). John already did at least one piece on the NRA trying to gently caress with gun laws in other countries, but the anti-abortion stuff is also a major scene the US Republican interests are trying to influence overseas too and there are probably at least a few others.
Homosexuality laws in African countries spring to mind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was under the impression that every country had its own native brand of shitheads. Like sure America exports some of our shitheads, but everywhere there's people who are raring to make their own profit, and all of our horror stories that we export are the main thing keeping other countries thankful for their systems. I wonder if they cut out the bit of Dr. Strange's origin story in the movie where he denies surgery to poors just because the Marvel movies were started to be targeted at foreign markets and that wouldn't be as relatable.

On a related note, expats like Gorka who try to argue that America's healthcare is better than their native country's equivalent should all get slammed by a sledgehammer and have to do the same calculation of whether it's worth it to get that checked by a doctor. Also just break Rupert Murdoch's kneecaps, just on principle.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was under the impression that every country had its own native brand of shitheads.

Oh they definitely do, but the main role America plays is not so much finding or creating those shitheads, but organizing and funding them so they operate along similar lines.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tsob posted:

Oh they definitely do, but the main role America plays is not so much finding or creating those shitheads, but organizing and funding them so they operate along similar lines.

Yep. One of the shitheel right wing/anti-immigration independent parties here in Australia got caught in a sting when an Al Jazeera reporter pretended to be an NRA staffer and offered them $20 million to vote against Australia's gun control laws. They absolutely leapt at the offer.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-28/pauline-hanson-slams-scott-morrison-over-one-nation-preferences/10948574

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're trying to do it now. Lol if you don't think british conservatives don't already chub up at the idea of denying healthcare to people they deem undesirable. They'll probably get it, too. The world is listing hard to the extreme right and it's just going to get worse as climate catastrophes ramp up

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

:siren: Urgent dumb joke consequences news :siren:

You remember when Michael Bloomberg bought 400 .nyc domain names, including ones that made fun of him so that nobody else could use them? And then Last Week Tonight bought a few that he missed just to make fun of him on principle?

Well I just checked and all of the ones that LWT bought are all down. Now, either coincidentally a comedy show just let a joke lapse just within the 6 years it took to slide back into political relevance, or foul play is afoot.

https://tinytinymikebloomberg.nyc/
https://michaelbloombergisawiener.nyc/
https://bloombergeatsbabycornasifitsrealcorn.nyc

Although I wonder if the domain names that Bloomberg registered have lapsed by now. https://michaelbloombergistooshorttobepresident.nyc looks like it's on a squatting site rather than just empty.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

SlothfulCobra posted:

:siren: Urgent dumb joke consequences news :siren:

You remember when Michael Bloomberg bought 400 .nyc domain names, including ones that made fun of him so that nobody else could use them? And then Last Week Tonight bought a few that he missed just to make fun of him on principle?

Well I just checked and all of the ones that LWT bought are all down. Now, either coincidentally a comedy show just let a joke lapse just within the 6 years it took to slide back into political relevance, or foul play is afoot.

https://tinytinymikebloomberg.nyc/
https://michaelbloombergisawiener.nyc/
https://bloombergeatsbabycornasifitsrealcorn.nyc

Although I wonder if the domain names that Bloomberg registered have lapsed by now. https://michaelbloombergistooshorttobepresident.nyc looks like it's on a squatting site rather than just empty.

I'm gonna go with they didn't bother to renew it...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Milo and POTUS posted:

The world is listing hard to the extreme right and it's just going to get worse as climate catastrophes ramp up

It's kind of depressing that within 6 months of the abortion referendum passing in Ireland, there was a new political party started with "right to life" as one of their core tenets. They got no traction in the recent election, where a left-wing party got a comparable vote share to the two conservative middle-right groups that have had a monopoly in the country since it's inception a century ago, but that was at least partially because those two parties have so roundly ignored the current housing crisis and everyone is sick of them because of it. Ireland has so far avoided the same push towards right-wing extremism for some reason and Irish nationalism is generally more preoccupied with North/South integration due to historical reasons, which tends to eclipse any of the other issues nationalism focuses on in other places, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if within a decade or two when the issues occupying people's minds have settled a bit, Ireland starts to slide towards right wing extremism too. Racist assholes are starting to shout conspiracy theories about race genocide and poo poo here too for one; even if, again, they're a minor element no-one of note is paying mind to at the moment. I suppose the best I can hope is that it happens when every other country of note is starting to get sick of it again, and moving back to the center/left.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I finally got around to watching the episode, and I'm a little surprised nobody felt the need to post about it.

It really can't be said enough that Modi is fascist, no way around it, complete with genocide and pogroms. I hope India manages to take him down.

Also gently caress Mike Bloomberg, but that's not as important.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I was surprised his Hitler photo didn't show up immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I used to follow the YouTube uploads at least but I guess Canadians aren't allowed to see them anymore.