Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Dinner and a movie first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Quinch posted:

Yeah, a lot of people look at how tolerant and accepting modern culture often is of minorities but can’t accept that any gains are precisely because of the way it has put at the forefront that they are now raging against. They think it should be stopped because it isn’t needed without realising that it’s removal would lead to culture becoming intolerant again, that racism is no where near being a solved issue and it’s an ongoing process.

A lot of people have zero understanding of racism because they've been completely insulated from it and they haven't troubled themselves to listen to other people and learn about their experiences. Because things have improved over the decades they think racism is over now, and that everyone experiences a life of equality, like their own. And any visible efforts to address problems and make things better for minorities are actually that equality being tipped in someone else's favour

So when they see efforts to be more inclusive and have better representation, they think minorities are getting some kind of VIP treatment in society. They see one brown guy or an asian woman in a thing and go nuts, because they believe POCs just get gifted all the roles now, without realising that the reason they immediately notice non-white people is because they've been excluded from representation for so long

So you get this situation where a lot of white people literally believe they're the underclass now (partly fuelled by parts of the media telling them this). And because they have no real understanding of racism, now they feel that being mildly inconvenienced, or very occasionally having to shut up or hear criticism about a social group they belong to... suddenly they're experiencing a fraction of what minorities have to face on a daily basis and no sir they don't like it, and that's probably where all the "white racism!" poo poo comes from

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
These big companies are shits. How can anyone confuse Osito & co with Haribo?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2020/jan/24/why-cant-we-use-a-bear-spanish-startup-shocked-by-haribo-legal-threat-alcohol-sweets

There was a small recording studios in Stroud. Let Nnn stand for the name of a global company. The name of the small recording studios was Nnnhook. After a few months they received a cease and desist letter from global company Nnn. There was never any intention to imply that Nnn had any involvement, it was just 3 letters that were part of a total name. The studios had to rebrand everything because they couldn't afford to fight. I know two young kids with the name Nnn(e) wondering when their parents will get cease and desist letters!

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's just the standard one rotated 90 degrees.

Santa's obviously authoritarian left (pro-redistribution, anti-naughty, big beard, probably a trot of some sort), Moses is auth right (wrote all that Mosaic Law), Jesus is a libcom, which I guess means George is libertarian right.

Take that back about him being a trot; Santa's never tried to sell me a paper.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Puntification posted:

Take that back about him being a trot; Santa's never tried to sell me a paper.

Yeah, but where does he get the coal from to give to bad kids?
Slave labour in the toy factory, and in the mines too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I know two young kids with the name Nnn(e)
These millennial parents are getting ridiculous! :v:

happyhippy posted:

Yeah, but where does he get the coal from to give to bad kids?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

ThomasPaine posted:

All very interesting but I'm a little uncertain about this part - I grew up in Tyneside where NUFC is extremely important from a cultural position and many people my family were very close to were season ticket holders. Despite that my parents always (never openly saying it, in their very subtle way) felt like they had this low-key disdain for football fans that I picked up on - stupid, violent, vulgar: read, daily mail working class. I certainly grew up with an elitist attitude towards the game (why waste your time on that pointless rubbish, brb off to spend 8 hours playing videogames), and it was only in my twenties I started to realise that it was an important social and cultural institution for many people in a way I had previously been too arrogant to understand. I still think there are lots of very problematic aspects of the game like tribalism, lots of homophobia, racism, hooliganism etc but where I used to think they were inherent parts of it I now see your point - they're more reflections of left failure and unchallenged right hegemony (with some major exceptions like Celtic).

Getting back to my parents, I do feel like there was a bit of reverse hyacinth bucket about them. They grew up quite poor before doing super well for themselves, that all went to hell, then they evened out firmly in the lower middle class 'comfortable if small TownsTM semi detached' bracket. I think that attitude towards football was based on a symbolic rejection of their working class origins, and a reassertion of their 'respectable' credentials in light of their abrupt financial decline (even though they finished significantly better than they started it was well below their peak)

My dad is from London and still got a season ticket to take me and my brother

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might be inclined to suggest if you're looking for british politicians keen on delivering coal to children you might be better off with Alfred Robens than Scargill.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

My dad is from London and still got a season ticket to take me and my brother

To this day the pair of you still don't understand you're being punished for not doing the dishes.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Maugrim posted:

Thanks for the fudge, mine arrived this morning and it's very good - having to resist scoffing it all at once!

Although the sea salt one should come with a warning not to sample it after you've already desensitised your taste buds trying four other kinds of fudge. :v:

So glad you like it. :)

The sea salt is particularly punchy- it’s the whole flakes on top. But yes, I can see it being a shock if you had the others first!

Renaissance Robot posted:

How do I get on Camrath's fudge list?

Drop me a pm or an email at Fudjit.orders at gmail. :) I’ll be opening up for pre-valentines orders early next week, and will obviously post here when I do.

Anyone have any ideas, desires or good lefty puns for the Valentines goon special?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Camrath posted:

So glad you like it. :)

The sea salt is particularly punchy- it’s the whole flakes on top. But yes, I can see it being a shock if you had the others first!

Drop me a pm or an email at Fudjit.orders at gmail. :) I’ll be opening up for pre-valentines orders early next week, and will obviously post here when I do.

Anyone have any ideas, desires or good lefty puns for the Valentines goon special?

To the rhythm of roses are red:

Wherever you are
Whatever you do
I'll be seizing the means of production
For you

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Camrath posted:

MikeCrotch posted:

Dinner and a movie

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Urgent advice needed, somebody took just short of 20 co-codamol & is begging me not to take her to hospital. Do I force her? She'd go along with it if I tell her she doesn't have a choice, but likely to never trust me again if she needs help another time

e: I've tried persuading her, begging, asking for a favour as a friend, all that poo poo

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Borrovan posted:

Urgent advice needed, somebody took just short of 20 co-codamol & is begging me not to take her to hospital. Do I force her? She'd go along with it if I tell her she doesn't have a choice, but likely to never trust me again if she needs help another time

e: I've tried persuading her, begging, asking for a favour as a friend, all that poo poo

Call an ambulance rather than posting OP

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If her life is in danger I don't think you have a choice in the matter.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Doesn't co-codamol contain paracetamol? If so get the gently caress to hospital

E: I mean do it anyway but paracetamol overdose is horrendous

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Camrath posted:

Love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal helping of sugar

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Maugrim posted:

Doesn't co-codamol contain paracetamol? If so get the gently caress to hospital

E: I mean do it anyway but paracetamol overdose is horrendous
Yes. If it's within 4 hours you can try activated charcoal as an antidote but anything past that and you need N-acetylcysteine, which is best administered via an ambulance.

20 (assuming 500mg ea) is not likely to kill you in the short term though. That's more like "without an antidote applied within 12 hours you could be looking at liver damage which you don't notice today but shows up later in life in terrible ways".

But that all depends on the person, alcohol consumption, diet, etc. so best to apply antidote.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If you don't take her you'll never get another chance for her to trust you either.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh okay or that.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Get a loving medical professional there, STAT. Depending on the dose and their liver state, this isn't good. Also whatever is going in in their life that led them to, I assume, attempt overdose in the first place.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Camrath posted:

Well obviously Nut bits and Chili but that's not letfy really.

From me according to my ability, to you according to your need - To put on the gift label.

Give me Fudge, or give me death!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'm not a doctor, but don't risk it. Codeine overdose brings a risk of breathing problems, including stopping altogether. 10g of Paracetamol is also a level at which delayed liver damage can occur.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/codeine-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20074022

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Borrovan posted:

Call an ambulance right now.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Hmm. Perhaps something using popcorn. I can work with that. Time to think..

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Thanks guys, took her to A&E. She has flipped the gently caress out but eh. She'll def get the chance to calm down now, at least.

Trust concern was more just worrying whether she'll tell me if she takes a lot more next time, but hopefully she'll get over it.

Anyway, how about them Tories, eh

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
As a turkish delight fan I'd be interested to try a rose-flavoured fudge but I can't think of a good lefty pun for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maugrim posted:

As a turkish delight fan I'd be interested to try a rose-flavoured fudge but I can't think of a good lefty pun for it.

Put it on a biscuit and call it shortbread and roses.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Borrovan posted:

That's potentially 10000mg of paracetamol (if I remember how much paracetamol is in co-codamol). Which is definitely enough to do serious damage to her liver and so you did the right thing. Going to A&E or where ever is scary as hell but paracetamol toxicity isn't something to experience.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 24, 2020

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Borrovan posted:

Thanks guys, took her to A&E. She has flipped the gently caress out but eh. She'll def get the chance to calm down now, at least.

Trust concern was more just worrying whether she'll tell me if she takes a lot more next time, but hopefully she'll get over it.

Going to play armchair psychologist here but this feels more like a cry for help than anything. If she truly wanted to end it all then why tell someone when it gives them an obvious chance to step in and stop you?

I think she will be very grateful to you in the future when she’s feeling a bit better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

I hope she understands, it's the right thing to do either way, you'd be a poo poo friend if you didn't put her welfare before her opinion of you.

Plus like, what was she expecting you to do if not try to get her to hospital?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

nthing "just get them help" and you can't not act now for fear of not being able to act again in the future. Though 20 cocodamol is a bad tummy at best and a slightly fuzzy short lived high.

e: As pointed out it's right on the line of "oh gently caress" so yeah good job Borrovan

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Put it on a biscuit and call it shortbread and roses.

Goddammit, I was really trying to think of a good Bread and roses one.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

That's potentially 10000mg of paracetamol (if I remember how much paracetamol is in co-codamol). Which is definitely enough to do serious damage to her liver and so you did the right thing. Going to A&E or where ever is scary as hell but paracetamol toxicity isn't something to experience.
10g is right around the point where the risks from medical intervention outweigh (or stop outweighing) the risks from doing nothing (depending on size and liver health). You can read a lot into that if you want. Or maybe that was just what she had to hand. :shrug:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Going to play armchair psychologist here but this feels more like a cry for help than anything. If she truly wanted to end it all then why tell someone when it gives them an obvious chance to step in and stop you?

I think she will be very grateful to you in the future when she’s feeling a bit better.
Parasuicides are all kinds of weird and often the person themselves doesn't even know why they did it.

A common one seems to be a reaction against the pain of living without a desire to actually die but without knowing what else to do, which generally points to some underlying issues.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

You did the right thing, even if she never speaks to you again.

Nero Angelo
Jun 19, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

A little off-topic but do any of you have good game griefing stories you can share? I'm working on something

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637

Here's a link to the regretably defunct game griefing thread that used to exist in PYF (I think) and wound up getting Goldmined. It'll give you all the material you could ever want. The last seven pages contain a fair number of the thread highlights if you quite understandably don't want to trawl through all 530 pages.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://skwawkbox.org/2020/01/24/video-man-poses-as-tory-to-get-onto-bbcqt-then-hammers-media-for-dividing-communities-to-help-tories-rule/

quote:

VIDEO: MAN POSES AS TORY TO GET ONTO BBCQT – THEN HAMMERS MEDIA FOR DIVIDING COMMUNITIES TO HELP TORIES RULE
24/01/2020 · by SKWAWKBOX (SW) · in comment. ·

“I literally pretended to be a Tory in every stage of the application process”

A student in last night’s BBC Question Time audience has caused a stir by hammering the media’s role in helping divide the UK’s people so that they don’t resist Tory cuts like the French – and posing as a Tory to get past the programme’s checks.

The man, who goes by the Twitter handle of @sensiblehuman96, was invited to speak toward the end of the programme – and laid out the truth that people power is a viable alternative to parliamentary power for changing the political direction of the country.

And he blasted the media for helping to divide communities to help the Tories avoid the type of resistance that ‘scares Boris Johnson… that scared Thatcher in 1990 when she tried to introduce the poll tax’:

VIDEO HERE IN LINK

Tory trolls immediately tried to dismiss his contribution as that of a ‘plant’ – contrary to all the evidence, right-wingers love to pretend Question Time and other BBC output is full of ‘liberal bias’.

But the young man had posed as a Tory in order to get onto the programme, as he told the odious Toby Young:

Question Time is regularly and justly criticised for its bias and for cramming audiences – even in left-wing cities like Liverpool – with aggressive Tories and even right-wing extremists. And a frequent tactic on the programme is to ‘book-end’ each show with comments from a right-wing audience member to first set the tone of the discussion and then to ensure a right-friendly ‘take-away’ for those who have endured to the close.

‘SensibleHuman96’s brilliant-made point is perfectly correct. Boris Johnson’s parliamentary majority does not have to mean Johnson can do whatever he wants.

But the fact that the student had to con his way onto the programme to make it shows the scale of the challenge facing British people who don’t want to allow the Tories to asset-strip and degrade our country for the next five years.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

e: ^^^^^^^ Praxis

Yeah, trust can be rebuilt, but she has to be alive for that to happen. You did the right thing

Debbie Does Dagon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 24, 2020

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lord Ludikrous posted:

yeah I was gonna say, what was she actually trusting you with here? The knowledge that she'd overdosed, and you wouldn't do anything about it? She put you in an incredibly difficult position, helping her is the only thing you could do in that moment

She might not actually be grateful (although I guess Lord L maybe means in the "in a better place" sense) but you did the right thing, and I'm sure on some level she expected it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Guavanaut posted:

Parasuicides are all kinds of weird and often the person themselves doesn't even know why they did it.

A common one seems to be a reaction against the pain of living without a desire to actually die but without knowing what else to do, which generally points to some underlying issues.

That's spot on for my sole direct experience of a suicide attempt. A relative of mine od'd on paracetamol as a teenager because as well as being in pain they felt miserable and trapped in their life at the time. Talking about it afterwards it was like you describe - "I wasn't thinking about dying or anything, I just... kept taking them"