Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvilJoven posted:

Touch and goes in an ever contracting circuit and shrinking runway, with collision and crash detection on, would actually kinda be a fun mini game.

Original idea do not steal gently caress off, Microsoft.

Real talk we do this in the real sims if we finish the lesson plans with time to spare. It’s exactly as fun as it sounds.

You can in fact land a mid weight 767 on a 3500’ runway that’s barely wider than the mains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
How does a Level D sim recreate a loop?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

e.pilot posted:

Real talk we do this in the real sims if we finish the lesson plans with time to spare. It’s exactly as fun as it sounds.

You can in fact land a mid weight 767 on a 3500’ runway that’s barely wider than the mains.

I never got enough sim time in the redbird to get to do much goofing around but we did play around with landing on that carrier. Only reason why I flubbed the landing is I'm used to doing it in vidya games where the planes have aresstor hooks that I plunked it down on the wires like it was a corsair and ended up going off the side of the boat.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Pssh simming 737 pattern work? :rolleye:

Try the real thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNpFbBqfVrs

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Shine posted:

TrackIR and similar face trackers are very popular in combat sims, particularly for close-range combat (WW2, for example). I used one for many years until VR happened.

They're probably less common in civilian sims, as you really don't need to have your head on a swivel if nothing's trying to kill you.

This is kind of a general question to all the VR chat, but what’s the recommended thing for replacing some keyboard commands in DCS? I’m not sure I want to shell out a ton of money for a warthog or something. I have a T-Flight HOTAS X that works really well for most things with the mapping / modifiers I have but I’d really like to not have to look down the gap in my headset to fumble at the keyboard. I guess I could get a T16k or something but have been reading about Voice Attack and was going to give that a try. Anything else worth checking out?

e: I’d spend $200-250 on a new stick / throttle if I could do a majority of things without having to peek the keyboard.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 22, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Thrustmaster stuff is the best choice at this point. Saitek is out of business and Logitech's stuff is just rebranded Saitek now so it kinda sucks anyway.

If I were getting started right now, I'd probably go for the T.16000 HOTAS ($140 on Amazon). VoiceAttack is a lot of fun but also a big pain to configure. I don't know what you're flying, but honestly a lot of the really well-simulated planes just have too many controls to put them all on a HOTAS. Just gotta use a mouse and click things.

Your specific issue, about trying to operate complex controls while in VR, is a big part of why I do not like (the current generation of) VR headsets for flight simulators.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 22, 2020

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

sellouts posted:

flight sim but instead of planes it’s an idle chat game

I feel like that's basically what we had going with our old crew.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

SixPabst posted:

This is kind of a general question to all the VR chat, but what’s the recommended thing for replacing some keyboard commands in DCS? I’m not sure I want to shell out a ton of money for a warthog or something. I have a T-Flight HOTAS X that works really well for most things with the mapping / modifiers I have but I’d really like to not have to look down the gap in my headset to fumble at the keyboard. I guess I could get a T16k or something but have been reading about Voice Attack and was going to give that a try. Anything else worth checking out?

e: I’d spend $200-250 on a new stick / throttle if I could do a majority of things without having to peek the keyboard.

There's plenty of voice to keystroke things. Works great for radio commands, and also tasks on big jets that would be accomplished by other aircrew members "open bay doors", "gear/flaps up" kind of stuff. Can be pretty immersive if you get it set up well for what works for you.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I don’t play combat sims beyond like Elite, but the best way I have to handle it is to slap everything you’ll use in a crucial flight period on the joystick and switch between the joystick and the keyboard for non crucial bits like startup.

I don’t have a good feel if this is feasible without a shitload of buttons in DCS (which I have on my Rhino but forget half of them anyway). Commercial/civ sims have the luxury of planning, not having life/death split seconds (usually), and the ability to touch all the buttons with VR hands. All that said, I still have a weird period in x-plane VR after takeoff and before landing where I have one VR-hand on and one on the stick or throttle, which creates sort of the same “what do I grab” problem.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
For DCS, I have a toggle on my stick to activate the mouse, which I can then facelook around the cockpit and click switches. It took a bit of effort to set up in the VKB software, but it works quite well. I use that for stuff I don't need in the heat of the moment. Anything that involves shooting or not getting shot is mapped to HOTAS.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Most everything is on my stick and throttle, and I just reach up for the mouse for the odd button/switch manipulation. I have one of those little Razr Orbweavers that I used to have dedicated for radio commands, but I don't have the desk space for it with my new setup.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

The Ferret King posted:

I feel like that's basically what we had going with our old crew.

That and Kilo's computer crashing

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Also his aircraft in the simulator crashing

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Thanks all. I'll spring for the T.16000 and spend some time with Voice Attack.

Sagebrush posted:

Your specific issue, about trying to operate complex controls while in VR, is a big part of why I do not like (the current generation of) VR headsets for flight simulators.

In a way I'm glad to hear that I'm not just missing something super obvious but I completely agree. It's so, so close to being really awesome.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

That and Kilo's computer crashing

sellouts posted:

Also his aircraft in the simulator crashing

Both are now 75% less crashy

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
If/when I get back into flight sims and other janky games from former eastern bloc countries I hope you're still around making weird jokes, Kilo. I don't miss the constant struggle to actually get these games to run properly but I do miss the company.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I just want you to know: you all gave me alcoholism.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

The Ferret King posted:

Surely the FAA helped though

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Rincey posted:

Surely the FAA helped though

Very true.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oklahoma City is the great equalizer. It makes everyone an alcoholic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

new screenshots from the alpha

you can see now the glitches that come from their satellite auto-gen scenery (e.g. the sunken boats at the san francisco piers) but it still looks way better than anything else out there.

here is st. barth's in the x-plane default scenery, for comparison

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Very nearly a bird strike :ohdear:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
drat. That's some fine scenery. How's the framerate? Any hiccups?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Those aren't mine, just some new stuff from users in the alpha that they've posted on the Flight Simulator website.

I don't know what the performance is like, but the people who they've accepted into the alpha have pretty consistently all got 1070s or better, recent i7s, and 32GB of RAM.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
LMBO.

I hope it runs at 'still better than FSX did' on my old i5 with a 970 and 16gb of ram because like hell I'm building a new PC. Seeing as how unoptomized FSX was IDK if I'm asking too much or not.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The fact that it's going to be released on XBox suggests that you'll probably be able to scale the graphics down to get good performance on an older computer, at least.

And they claim that the trailer footage is real-time, and it's 4k60, so that level of performance is at least possible with some sort of hardware. That's better than you can say for X-Plane

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Is the upcoming MS flight sim going to be amazing? I’m not into flight sims but that game might draw me in.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

Is the upcoming MS flight sim going to be amazing? I’m not into flight sims but that game might draw me in.

it looks very pretty and it sounds like it will have a lot of good features that flight sim people have wanted for a long time.

traditionally the appeal of civilian flight sims is in, well, the simulation -- flying the plane like you would in real life and learning what all the bits in the cockpit do and flying from one airport to another. msfs usually has little missions and challenges to accomplish, but ultimately they're all based around flying the plane from one place to another, so if you don't inherently enjoy that, idk.

however, the really impressive scenery engine in this thing means that it might also be fun to just set it up in easy mode and lounge on the couch with a gamepad looking at stuff around the world.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sagebrush posted:

new screenshots from the alpha

That's amazing, I literally just did this today with a far less Air Jerry view.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

The Ferret King posted:

gottem

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Sagebrush posted:

however, the really impressive scenery engine in this thing means that it might also be fun to just set it up in easy mode and lounge on the couch with a gamepad looking at stuff around the world.

I started following this thread and the game purely for this reason. Never really been into flight sims but the footage released so far is so mind-blowing... I just wanna fly around looking at stuff.

Sagebrush posted:

1070s or better, recent i7s, and 32GB of RAM.

I'm actually fairly encouraged by this. 1070 is reasonable for something like this.

simble
May 11, 2004

OhsH posted:

gottem

Especially you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How is aerofly fs2 for VR anyone here use it? It’s on sale right now

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I didn’t know much about it but the top steam review immediately excited me and then let me down.

“POSTED: DECEMBER 12, 2019
Hand down top to bottom best VR friendly flight Sim on the market.
Having said that If you're looking for ATC, moving objects on the ground, 3rd party support, or traveling long distances, weather patterns, and everything else a flight sim should have, you wont find it here yet.
This is more early access with a bit of DLC dumped on us every few months.
I would'nt pay full price. Wait for a sale.”

Good VR and then missing like, every other feature that would make me want to switch away from X-plane.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

simble posted:

Especially you.

hey now, he didn't give any percentage of blame.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just got the Crosswinds. Amazing! These things are a dream compare to my old Saitek pedals. So smooth and responsive.

My only tiny complaint is they're a bit tippy if you only put one foot on the pedals. Shouldn't cause any problems, but I may engineer some stabilizing feet if it becomes an issue.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I got an email that the developer of PrecipitFX has joined some new add-on company.

One of their products caught my eye:

https://parallel42.com/sim/skypark

It's pretty vague but it sounds like it aims to fill a lot of the thing's I'd like to see in a sim. Mostly by just giving a bit of purpose to your flying.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

That's something Orbx teased like a year or more ago and then after a bit of publicity never really talked about much but they still have this on their website https://orbxdirect.com/theskypark

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Does anyone here have a Virpil stick? How do the Virpil bases (gimbals) compare to the stock Warthog ball joint in terms of smoothness and accuracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sagebrush posted:

Does anyone here have a Virpil stick? How do the Virpil bases (gimbals) compare to the stock Warthog ball joint in terms of smoothness and accuracy?

The best way to describe the difference would be an unironic, non-sarcastic :gizz:

There is no stiction and setup with exchangeable cams and springs makes it utterly trivial to tweak the pressure curve, and it is also very easy to trouble-shoot if something should go wrong. It is compact but accessible and if the springs should get tired with age, they'll be very easy to replace. It has enough force to bring back the stick to centre (and wobble around there for a while) but is light enough — even with strong springs — that you can operate it precisely with very little pressure. On the more advanced bases, you can even dial in spring tension with a couple of screws to really get it to where you want it.

Accuracy is excellent, but how it plays out depends on what we're comparing. The actual sensors are probably not all that much more accurate, but the precision at which you can place and hold the stick makes a huge difference. One thing to note, though, is that you will be more inaccurate at first due to the spring-based setup: wit the Warthog, you can very easily make snap movements and just stop — the spring-back mechanism it has means you just have to learn how much pressure to apply to reach a given throw angle. That muscle memory is all lost on the Virpil sticks. To stick it in a specific position, you will have to learn to stop your arm in time and before you get a feel for it, you will probably wobble around the exact position you're aiming for if you're trying to quickly move from one position to another.

Standard caveat for Ralfi banter, but his observations in this video are spot on as far as feel goes. Just note that the WarBRD base is the “cheaper” (read: not nearly as neatly designed) of their bases, which is why it's a bit more annoying to work with than what I've described — the new T-50CM2 base is far more user-friendly than that, but also requires mounts and fetches a higher price.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTGyMkXgBfQ

They cost a silly amount of money, but when you feel them, you kind of understand why — it almost feels worth it (never mind the escalation-of-commitment biases). :haw:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 2, 2020