Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
"Let's just concentrate all of the shipbuilding capacity for our galactic empire in a single, convenient location."

Edit: a fun subplot might be/have been regionalism in the Federation cropping up in absence of a significant foreign threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

i would be surprised if Lore was involved at all since Data says at the end of Descent Part 2 that he deactivated him, and they at least make it seem like that’s the end of Lore. But who knows.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

FlamingLiberal posted:

i would be surprised if Lore was involved at all since Data says at the end of Descent Part 2 that he deactivated him, and they at least make it seem like that’s the end of Lore. But who knows.

but he didn't destroy him, so it's possible Maddox got his hands on him I guess

Overall, I enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect but I felt like it respected the source material more than Disco does, so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I think it’s charming they’re likely going to bring back Maddox, that guy from one episode of season 2 who we never saw again

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
Someone on reddit managed to pick out that there's a Kasidy Yates Interstellar Freight advertisement in the Boston skyline. Above and to the left of the Kings logo.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Tighclops posted:

It's a Q reference

Yeah, I don't think it is a tipoff Q will have anything to do with the story though. Just Picard having a nice dream about old times.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Unfortunately Alex Kurtzman is a disciple of the increasingly reviled JJ Abrams Mystery Box style of storytelling that was perfected on Lost. And it takes a while, if ever, to unlearn that kind of storytelling.

Kurtzman is exec but not lead in Picard, don't forget, Chabon was showrunner.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

"Let's just concentrate all of the shipbuilding capacity for our galactic empire in a single, convenient location."

Eh, it's the biggest fleet yard but not the only one. Defiant and Prometheus both came from Antares Fleetyards, and Excelsior and Enterprise-E and the Connies and a bunch of others came from San Francisco Yards.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 24, 2020

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious
Reading through these comments give me some small hope that I might enjoy this series (I still haven't watched the first episode yet). That said, I'm still pretty salty that they're considering Nemesis as cannon.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Lenny Nero posted:

Reading through these comments give me some small hope that I might enjoy this series (I still haven't watched the first episode yet). That said, I'm still pretty salty that they're considering Nemesis as cannon.

They've never decanonized anything that was on screen, even though they joked about Threshold.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nemesis was the last time the TNG cast really appeared in Trek, so it was bound to come up again

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

They've never decanonized anything that was on screen, even though they joked about Threshold.

Well, TAS.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Well, TAS.

That was actually never canon before a few years ago, when it was officially "canonized," IIRC.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

That was actually never canon before a few years ago, when it was officially "canonized," IIRC.

Say what?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Lenny Nero posted:

As much as I hate that movie, the use of "Blue Skies" at the beginning kind of got me.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Wikipedia's article for TAS posted:

On June 27, 2007, Star Trek's official site incorporated information from The Animated Series into its library section,[21] clarifying, finally, that the animated series is part of the Star Trek canon. Both David Gerrold and D. C. Fontana have stated that the animated series is essentially the fourth season that fans wanted originally.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The Enterprise F, captained by Thomas Riker, somehow redeemed from a lifetime of prison.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, TAS looks too primitive to show as part of modern TV cycles, but there's good acting and fun stories there; they should reanimate it to today's standards and they could slot it into modern programming repeats nicely.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Well I'll be.

Lucifer and giant Spock are real, and they are my friends

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
weird that the picture of worf the TV shows us doesn't look anything like T'Kuvma

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Well I'll be.

Lucifer and giant Spock are real, and they are my friends

At least one character from it appeared in Disco as a easter egg. The space kitty cats are real.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Admiral Bosch posted:

weird that the picture of worf the TV shows us doesn't look anything like T'Kuvma

Yeah, how about that.

I hope they just start using the TNG Klingon look in Disco season 3, chalk it up to some fansplanation, and never go back.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Space kitties were already in a movie

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I wonder if we’re going to see Klingons since they might not want to openly contradict Discovery’s uglification

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There was some interview that said if worf shows up, he'll look like worf. They have different looks for various romulans, so they can do it for Klingons as well.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

There was some interview that said if worf shows up, he'll look like worf. They have different looks for various romulans, so they can do it for Klingons as well.

And he did! The case is closed.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

We haven't seen any Klingons that we know, unlike when we saw Kor, Kang, and Koloth in DS9. Every Klingon we've seen could be from a different "race" of Klingons.

Although, one of them is from the House of Kor, and we know Kor.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 24, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It turns out all the discrepancies in Disco are because what we saw was a flawed historical recreation put together in the 31st century, where the show now takes place.

The reboot writes itself, make it so

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It turns out all the discrepancies in Disco are because what we saw was a flawed historical recreation put together in the 31st century, where the show now takes place.

The reboot writes itself, make it so

I would laugh my rear end of if season 3 starts with a recap of the first two seasons, which then pulls out to show the Disco crew showing it to a bunch of normal looking 31st century Klingons.

Stamets: “And that’s how we got here. Also, I forgot to download the holographic Klingon model before we left, so we took some liberties.”

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

I wouldn’t count that as official

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Make all the next round of Short Treks “Numbers One” and just give me Frakes, Rebecca Romijn, and doggo adventures and NOTHING ELSE

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Didn't they blow up the entire Romulan empire in Nemesis, yeah that would have to be addressed. Can't wait for the dominion war to come up

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

zoux posted:

Didn't they blow up the entire Romulan empire in Nemesis, yeah that would have to be addressed. Can't wait for the dominion war to come up

That was Star Trek 2009, and an early sign of how trigger happy Abrams seems to be when it comes to established franchises. Fortunately this show isn't written solely by hacks, so we're actually shown some consequence to such a major event.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They also pulled it back a bit so it was just Romulus' star and not some random star that took out a chunk of of the galaxy apparently. Though I wish they would have just ignored that entirely. JJ Abrams is poo poo and everything he comes up with should be purged from the canon of whatever franchise he's ruining.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It felt like they retconned that out of the entirely stupid "a supernova destroying the galaxy!" thing to a more reasonable supernova destroying the Romulus system + autoclaving anything within a ~30 light year radius. They weren't talking about it as a threat to anyone but Romulans, and in the comics it's clear there's a period of time during which the evacuations can take place.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

According to Google, this was the original extent of the Hobus Supernova:

That's kinda insanely stupid. Romulus's star going supernova unexpectedly is a better idea. Maybe Dr. Soran survived and decided he hated Romulans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait, aren't Romulus and Vulcan in the same star system? They're related right?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

zoux posted:

No they’re nowhere near each other. Romulans are descended from Vulcans who hosed off to the other end of space when Vulcans started talking about “logic” and “reason” and “not constantly slaughtering each other over everything”

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

That's kinda insanely stupid. Romulus's star going supernova unexpectedly is a better idea. Maybe Dr. Soran survived and decided he hated Romulans.

The radius of the supernova (which, huh, it does look like severe radiation from supernovae actually does extend dozens of light-years?) perfectly matching the border of the empire is the dumbest part. It's a lot more interesting if a few Federation worlds are in the radius and the Federation decides to invest 100% of resources into those 2-4 planets and refuses to help out the dozens of Romulan planets!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

zoux posted:

The Romulans were exiled from Vulcan 2,000 years ago after their ancestors rejected Surak’s teachings and logic. They left the planet and settled on Romulus. I don’t think the two planets have ever been that close to each other though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'm 70 Virgins