Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Pity the communist train gamer, who weeps as they loot a company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If 18xx games were made by German designers you would have to pay for track in brown cubes. The brown cubes are generic workers and they're very happy to be there, let me assure you.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Pity the communist train gamer, who weeps as they loot a company.

This is why 1880 is my go to.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Recent replays of Archipelago have left me with the nagging suspicion that colonial themes in games might be bad. If felt like I needed several plays of Spirit Island afterwards to cleanse my guilt.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Any thoughts on the Evolution games, specifically the new one, Oceans? A positive Space-Biff review put it on my radar, but it's only available in the fancy deluxe edition at retail at the moment.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone have any good advice for a group about to try their first 18XX? 1830, if it matters.

al-azad posted:

If 18xx games were made by German designers you would have to pay for track in brown cubes. The brown cubes are generic workers and they're very happy to be there, let me assure you.

Brown shirts, obviously.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think archipelago being more explicit about your actions and the notion of quelling/satisfying the natives enough not to overthrow you puts it up there with JoCo for not being colonial apologia.

The usual offenders are the ones that just treat them all as good boy victory points that you can turn into chicken tendies. The worst acknowledge this and do it anyway. Compare the Pfister responses to the Endeavor acknowledgement.

Safety Biscuits posted:

Anyone have any good advice for a group about to try their first 18XX? 1830, if it matters.

Brown shirts, obviously.

The players likely won’t listen, but tell them the train rush is important. Especially if they’re the ones not profiting from the early trains. It won’t click until a few games in, but eventually they’ll say they should’ve listened to you.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

BinaryDoubts posted:

Any thoughts on the Evolution games, specifically the new one, Oceans? A positive Space-Biff review put it on my radar, but it's only available in the fancy deluxe edition at retail at the moment.

Oceans is really good, but plays better at lower player counts compared to base Evolution/Climate due to the inherent aggresiveness and lack of simultaneous play options.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Good one to start w/. A collection of habits that aren't in rulebooks that I find helpful are: after a company operates, flip its stock-price token so it's clear it's gone; put the money on the shares that payed out so it's clear you got it; record a company's income from like, the 5T because they're much less fluid at that point; use poker chips if at all possible. The only piece of strategy advice I'll give is that if you're not making the most money at the moment, you should buy some trains. The game can stall a bit if everyone at the table is happy w/ their income.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Safety Biscuits posted:

Don't let Camden & Amboy get bought for cheap on the initial auction.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Afriscipio posted:

Recent replays of Archipelago have left me with the nagging suspicion that colonial themes in games might be bad. If felt like I needed several plays of Spirit Island afterwards to cleanse my guilt.

Send me your copy of Archipelago and I promise to reuse it in an environmentally-friendly manner. I won't pay you anything because that would be capitalist exploitation :v:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 24, 2020

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Safety Biscuits posted:

The best reason to buy more trains is that trains are cool and you get to be the guy who has lots of trains and rides around. The second best reason to buy more trains is that 80% of the time to buy a train hurts the person who is doing better than you, and 20% of the time it lets you keep the initiative and choose when you're going to get kicked.

The other thing is that these games, 1830 especially, are far more interesting and challenging when players are playing recklessly. It's not the game of selfless and cautious investors; it's railways and robber barons. Loot that company, hoover up that cash, run away.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wellllllll buying trains is good and all but being the rear end in a top hat with two 4's on a company right when the 5s are about to come out is usually death, every 18xx is different in this regard but it seems to be a universal rule that being train tight going into permanent trains is always bad.

So to back that up if you're train tight it's time to open a poo poo company with the express purpose of relieving your good company from bad trains. 18xx is like a co-op game you play with yourself: you can't win alone so sometimes you need to quarterback your lovely friends (and your lovely friends are you).

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Yeah, especially 1817/USA, it's a lot less interesting when everyone knows how to play safely and does so, so it just comes out to who had the best two initial 2-shares and who won the fewest private auctions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Afriscipio posted:

It's worth noting that in Archipelago you can turn black dudes into white dudes by hiring them, and they can immediately start having white kids with your white dudes. Mechanically it's the exact opposite of the "one drop" rule.

Boelinger's sort-of-sequel Living Planet also makes his feelings on actual colonialism fairly plain, given that you're capitalists who find a potential new home for the people of a ruined Earth and immediately set about exploiting it until it explodes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

Boelinger's sort-of-sequel Living Planet also makes his feelings on actual colonialism fairly plain, given that you're capitalists who find a potential new home for the people of a ruined Earth and immediately set about exploiting it until it explodes.

drat, now I want to buy that shelf-breaker

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Send me your copy of Archipelago and I promise to reuse it in an environmentally-friendly manner. I won't pay you anything because that would be capitalist exploitation :v:

no.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

So, barrage. I think I like this one, finally got to try it.

Played at 3, with two people who had played before, and did pretty well and we forgot to give me 6 points every round because I produced the most every round so I totally won.

The twisting conduits were really cool. Blocking felt important but being blocked didn't feel like things fell apart.

How does it play at not 3?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Shogi is so goddamn good. I taught my wife (who isn't much of a gamer, and much less of a weeb) with a set of traditional pieces and she picked it up really quick and ended up playing out a whole game even though I kept saying we could stop if she got bored.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

Shogi is so goddamn good. I taught my wife (who isn't much of a gamer, and much less of a weeb) with a set of traditional pieces and she picked it up really quick and ended up playing out a whole game even though I kept saying we could stop if she got bored.

The best of the chess family, without a doubt. So so good.

Hey wanna play a game sometime? Is 81dojo or whatever that site was called still working?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

al-azad posted:

This is why 1880 is my go to.

I think the upcoming 1822MX has build cubes :yikes:

1861 (Russia) specifically says on the back cover you’re racing to be the first against the wall

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 24, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Clash of Cultures big box coming late this year. I know some folks here are big fans

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/...ZdTn8mK1J14pQq0

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

Clash of Cultures big box coming late this year. I know some folks here are big fans

I just want the expansions though :(

I'm also planning on doing our first 18xx game in two weeks and we're doing 1830. I think we can fumble through most of it fine but the only thing that worries me is the initial auction and no one knowing what is worth what.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

al-azad posted:

Wellllllll buying trains is good and all but being the rear end in a top hat with two 4's on a company right when the 5s are about to come out is usually death, every 18xx is different in this regard but it seems to be a universal rule that being train tight going into permanent trains is always bad.

So to back that up if you're train tight it's time to open a poo poo company with the express purpose of relieving your good company from bad trains. 18xx is like a co-op game you play with yourself: you can't win alone so sometimes you need to quarterback your lovely friends (and your lovely friends are you).

So you're saying that in that circumstance that you should open up a new company so you can buy trains :dukedog:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bottom Liner posted:

Going over the post this is actually a second edition that will have a few rules/tech changes in addition to the expansion content.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Getting ready to set up Root for the first time and I'm nervous about teaching it. Anyone have any tips for making sure everything goes smoothly?

I've never played it either

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FulsomFrank posted:

I'm also planning on doing our first 18xx game in two weeks and we're doing 1830. I think we can fumble through most of it fine but the only thing that worries me is the initial auction and no one knowing what is worth what.

Camden & Amboy is very strong, $200 is not unreasonable

The rest are less crazy, the real abilities of privates in 1830 is sucking money out of your company to reinvest.

B&O is not great compared to starting companies in other games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CommonShore posted:

So you're saying that in that circumstance that you should open up a new company so you can buy trains :dukedog:

Well yes, you just happen to buy slightly used choo-choos from yourself.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jarvisi posted:

Getting ready to set up Root for the first time and I'm nervous about teaching it. Anyone have any tips for making sure everything goes smoothly?

Make sure you know the general rules for movement, ruling clearings, combat, etc. Then just follow the player boards for each faction. If you have any questions just follow what the rulebook says word for word, it’s very literal and any inferences you make will probably be wrong (not you personally, just most rule questions are people assuming things the book doesn’t explicitly state).

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The last time I saw Root being played with new people, the following mistakes were made:

It's easy to forget about the Eyrie Despot's ability
People tend to assume the Woodland Alliance sympathy tax ability ("Outrage") means you aren't allowed to incur outrage unless you have an appropriate card to give away. So be explicit that the Alliance just gets a free card off the deck instead.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Bottom Liner posted:

Not sure about giving WizKids $140 :gonk:

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Jarvisi posted:

Emphasize the goal of the game: victory points. Explain each faction's way to earn victory points. Explain that the game is both a race and a war game - if you don't take some time to beat down the leader, they will get runaway scores. Don't play the Lizards or the Beavers first time round if you have the expansion. They change things up a lot and the players playing them will not have a good time.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm suddenly feeling better about having bought the expansion recently. Gotta get rid of the spare copy though.

I mean, I'd be all over it if it's good, but Wizkids is a strong contender in the "I expected nothing good and was still disappointed" category.

Closet colonialist :colbert:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Afriscipio posted:

Explain that the game is both a race and a war game - if you don't take some time to beat down the leader, they will get runaway scores.

This is a really good point that doesn't make it into "keep in mind..." lists like it should.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For Root I would say make everyone aware of how everyone scores points. If you're just focusing on your own mat it can be tricky to see where other folks points are going to come from.

And remember the change to the vagabonds scoring.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

FulsomFrank posted:

I think the points I'd focus on for beginners are (1) don't let C&A sell for less than $200 -- every other private can sell at market price without breaking the game, but C&A will give that player a huge advantage (2) don't overpay for the B&O; you should be able to launch it at $90 after paying for the private, so you need $360 left after buying it (3) normally you need $402 to start a company, so don't spend so much on privates that you won't be able to launch a company in the first 1-3 SRs; you do get income from privates so, for example, $375+owning the C&A = enough to launch a company in SR2.

Beyond that it's a lot of subtleties that won't really make sense until you see them in play. The above are just the guidelines to make sure that no one feels like they locked themselves out of playing the game from the jump.

admanb fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 24, 2020

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

admanb posted:

I think the points I'd focus on for beginners are (1) don't let C&A sell for less than $200 -- every other private can sell at market price without breaking the game, but C&A will give that player a huge advantage (2) don't overpay for the B&O; you should be able to launch it at $90 after paying for the private, so you need $360 left after buying it (3) normally you need $402 to start a company, so don't spend so much on privates that you won't be able to launch a company in the first 1-3 SRs; you do get income from privates so, for example, $375+owning the C&A = enough to launch a company in SR2.

Beyond that it's a lot of subtleties that won't really make sense until you see them in play. The above are just the guidelines to make sure that no one feels like they locked themselves out of playing the game from the jump.

Bellmaker posted:

Camden & Amboy is very strong, $200 is not unreasonable

The rest are less crazy, the real abilities of privates in 1830 is sucking money out of your company to reinvest.

B&O is not great compared to starting companies in other games

Ah, this stuff is what I'm looking for. Thanks guys. Since it's our first game I just didn't want to crash things right out the gate.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Somebody needs to re-release Galaxy Trucker complete version.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Somebody needs to re-release Galaxy Trucker complete version.

Dungeon Petz Happy Anniversary when

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Dungeon Petz Happy Anniversary when

Didn't the Dungeon Lords anniversary edition really do badly for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Morpheus posted:

Didn't the Dungeon Lords anniversary edition really do badly for them?

Yep.