Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just saw on CNN (on tv, no link) where it's now 10 cities under quarantine in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I wonder if that radar blip is due to every bird in the area taking off at once.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

jerman999 posted:

Yes, country folk are regarded as uneducated and uncultured. Lots of migrant workers show up in cities and are seen this way (not to mention they don't have residency permits).

My parents are bunkering down in Shanghai for the holiday and going out as little as possible. They sent me a video of a local hospital with the same tents set up in the parking lot as another video posted in thread.

Those sound like hicks as opposed to rednecks.

I want Chinese rednecks who fly the Confederate battle flag on their porch and drink beer for breakfast.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

BigDave posted:

Those sound like hicks as opposed to rednecks.

I want Chinese rednecks who fly the Confederate battle flag on their porch and drink beer for breakfast.

I think they all got shipped to Taiwan after WW2

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://twitter.com/reanimatiion/status/1220687717895491584?s=19

This is not how quarantine works.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Industrial plant right next to a residential neighborhood. Who knows what went up inside.

Houston has no city codes on land use and as a result is a sprawling, disorganized hellscape.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
The Germans are at it again

https://twitter.com/AJENews/status/1220720794692653057?s=19

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Pretty sweet looking policekampwagen.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Putting a Kpop track on this is the kind of misery-clickbaiting on Twitter I was complaining about. gently caress that poo poo

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Apparently it was a familial affair and all the victims were known to the shooter.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ded posted:

Man I was reading this news article from 1964 and got kinda mad

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/us/barbers-hill-isd-dreadlocks-deandre-arnold-trnd/index.html

Oh my bad, this is from 2020

"we're not making this up" says man in charge of making these things up

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
WaPo is reporting there's a second cononavirus case in the US, but no details.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Wonder if that's Texas, Seattle, or LA.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm sure we all can have the utmost faith in the forthrightness and aptitude of our elected officials and the departments they lead

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Wonder if that's Texas, Seattle, or LA.

I heard of one WA case yesterday, and the other case is reported to be at Texas A&M: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/us/united-states-coronavirus-cases.html

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
AP is reporting it as Chicago

AP News posted:

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Chicago woman has become the second U.S. patient diagnosed with the new pneumonia-like virus from China, health officials announced Friday.

The 60-year-old woman returned from China on Jan. 13 without showing any signs of illness, but a few days later she called her doctor to report feeling sick.

Doctors with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say the woman is hospitalized to prevent spread of the virus and is doing well, and people she had close contact with are being monitored.

CDC's Dr. Nancy Messonier said the risk to the U.S. public remains low but that it's likely more cases will be diagnosed in the coming days, as the virus appears to have a two-week incubation period.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ded posted:

AAAAaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :pirate:

ahahaha i really, really appreciate this

for all persons who are married to zhong guo...arrrrrrrrrr

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

egyptian rat race posted:

I heard of one WA case yesterday, and the other case is reported to be at Texas A&M: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/us/united-states-coronavirus-cases.html

Fuckin' grode jars.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/michelleinbklyn/status/1220688865519947778?s=21

lol

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SimonCat posted:

Pretty sweet looking policekampwagen.

I would trade my gun for a hi-viz Mercedes Benz.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

egyptian rat race posted:

I caught something on shitter yesterday about a couple of possible cases in LA, but nothing concrete from a real news service here. Don't remember seeing a mention of Chicago yesterday.

The conspiracy nuts latching onto this are on an entirely different plane of existence right now.

FAUXTON posted:

I'm sure we all can have the utmost faith in the forthrightness and aptitude of our elected officials and the departments they lead

Yeah we all gonna die. At least Chicagoans can smoke store bought weed before they die. Cubs got that world series a few back. Got a black woman mayor. Of course they're due for some misery.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 24, 2020

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

There's a reactionary left?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That one guy that one time that couldn't hit poo poo at the softball game like, three years ago?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arrath posted:

There's a reactionary left?

Winning people, ones who have reactionary social views, over to the left.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

More of us will die from flu than this Corona stuff is my guess.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

I dunno, with whatever that poll posted by that republican pundit about how Bernie voters who would vote trump if he lost the primary, I don't think this is totally off the mark.

Voters are loving stupid. Expecting politicians to turn down endorsements from popular media figures is counter productive to getting them elected. This seems especially true when your candidate has a great shot in the General but is placed 2nd in the Primary.

mlmp08 posted:

Winning people, ones who have reactionary social views, over to the left.

This is far from beyond the realm of possibility. People get interested in a popular candidate like Bernie, get some exposure to sources of political thought they were previously unaware of, etc etc etc. Literally taking votes from trump, instead of simply having his supporters stay home, is a great characteristic for Bernie's candidacy.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 24, 2020

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

That Works posted:

Yeah, I agree. And statistics agree too.

It's like watching a lovely version of Contagion break out in the real world. Something to gawk at, I guess.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It was a matter of time. O’Hare is one of the five airports taking flights from Wuhan.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1220719232775786497?s=19

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That Works posted:

I think the part that's scaring people is that it's like 20 times the mortality rate of the flu.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
One reason why the impeachment trial still matters:

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1220741672742608896?s=19

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1220752891562119168?s=19

When this poo poo trickles out on the daily, after the senators acquit Donnie, you can beat them over the head with the warm trickle for the whole election.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 24, 2020

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, I agree. And statistics agree too.

It's like watching a lovely version of Contagion break out in the real world. Something to gawk at, I guess.

I can't recall and google results are flooded with current events, is there any precedent for quarantine at this scale before? I'm hoping this is just another scare that plays well for clicks, but the timing and scope of these quarantines mean someone is taking it very, very seriously.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I dunno, with whatever that poll posted by that republican pundit about how Bernie voters who would vote trump if he lost the primary, I don't think this is totally off the mark.

Voters are loving stupid. Expecting politicians to turn down endorsements from popular media figures is counter productive to getting them elected. This seems especially true when your candidate has a great shot in the General but is placed 2nd in the Primary.

This is far from beyond the realm of possibility. People get interested in a popular candidate like Bernie, get some exposure to sources of political thought they were previously unaware of, etc etc etc. Literally taking votes from trump, instead of simply having his supporters stay home, is a great characteristic for Bernie's candidacy.

I agree. These people fell for part of the message already. They believe globalism is destroying their life and leaving them behind. Alt-right tells them it’s the Jews behind bringing the people darker than a paper bag that will kill them. Showing them that it’s actually unchecked capitalism and rich people in place of globalism and racial minorities is the trick, not the hard part. The underlying problem is the same, they are just looking at who’s causing it incorrectly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I think the part that's scaring people is that it's like 20 times the mortality rate of the flu.

Haven't seen much in the way of reliable / real numbers yet but yeah it could be the case.

Still, these kind of fears are irrational typically.

E: and I loathe the media circus drumming up unneeded panic as a result.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Just saw an article saying a patient in NJ is showing symptoms. So that makes WA, TX, IL, and NJ all reporting symptomatic/possible exposure.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't remember what podcast I heard it in, probably a Robert Evans one, about when war broke out in France, they emptied the looney hospitals into the streets, and several of them actually got along fine in the chaos, better than expected.

Crazy times make crazy people feel normal, or something to that effect.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

facialimpediment posted:

One reason why the impeachment trial still matters:

When this poo poo trickles out on the daily, after the senators acquit Donnie, you can beat them over the head with the warm trickle for the whole election.

Isn't the problem that the people that voted the Senators in that will acquit trump are still just going to keep voting for them anyways?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
More boomers die every day. More gen Z hit voting age every day.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Was France also one of the many nations that would involuntarily commit people for being gay or “woman’s hysteria” and other similar supposed mental ailments? Cause that could also help explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Isn't the problem that the people that voted the Senators in that will acquit trump are still just going to keep voting for them anyways?

The problem is the Senate as an institution.