Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Hell, I'll just take a dub of the show (any of the shows, really) that keeps the footage 1-to-1 with the original but has English voice-acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
The Kabuto dub already exists (and is already perfect) so yes actually that please

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Doesn't this just imply DVD releases of the originals?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Junpei posted:

Hell, I'll just take a dub of the show (any of the shows, really) that keeps the footage 1-to-1 with the original but has English voice-acting.

If a dub exists, like for Kabuto as The Divine Orator says, that would be a fun bonus to include on the disc but I'd prefer if they didn't waste time and money on making new dubs. Just put the shows on bluray with professional subtitles and I'd probably end up buying all of them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Justin_Brett posted:

Doesn't this just imply DVD releases of the originals?

That, or putting them on official streaming services like Netflix or Hulu.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEcpmn9d5ys

In case you've not seen the Kirameiger trailer. It's another "Red is the new guy" sentai. Pink being a doctor instead of a nurse is a big change though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They named the red ranger Jewel...

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
Big fan of how weird the bayonetta angel looking buddy is

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That team post killed me.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Xelkelvos posted:

In case you've not seen the Kirameiger trailer. It's another "Red is the new guy" sentai. Pink being a doctor instead of a nurse is a big change though.

That looks cool enough I'll check it out when fansubs drop. Ryusoulger just kinda fell apart for me when the badass armor guy turned out to be some dumb rear end in a top hat from the past.

Also really enjoying the "Being An Adult Sucks" vibe of the last few episodes of Zero1. Flower Dude, despite having the coolest job in the world, is a miserable gently caress. Dude just puts poo poo on a table and people pay him the kind of money that he can run around in a house robe all day. Real Estate Guy just wants to get rich and bone. Going ham on the HumaGear chick is some serious sexual repression issues on display(sliding the flagpole into her is practically shouting he's horny, come on). Even Thouserdude's "just did an Old Yeller" look that he has to break it to Aruto that his HumaGears are beyond "could be" and into absolutely an existential threat to humanity. HumaGears will go beserk if they feel sad or angry. The only people standing between humanity and annihilation is a guy that hangs out in basements all day, a petulant billionaire or a dude that has motorcycles dropped in from orbit. We'll put that in the Google Wave pile, Aruto buddy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Holy fukkin lol that looks awesome. I'm going to get incredibly high and watch the episodes as they are released. The last full Sentai show I watched was Flashman back in the day.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

coconono posted:

That looks cool enough I'll check it out when fansubs drop. Ryusoulger just kinda fell apart for me when the badass armor guy turned out to be some dumb rear end in a top hat from the past.

Also really enjoying the "Being An Adult Sucks" vibe of the last few episodes of Zero1. Flower Dude, despite having the coolest job in the world, is a miserable gently caress. Dude just puts poo poo on a table and people pay him the kind of money that he can run around in a house robe all day. Real Estate Guy just wants to get rich and bone. Going ham on the HumaGear chick is some serious sexual repression issues on display(sliding the flagpole into her is practically shouting he's horny, come on). Even Thouserdude's "just did an Old Yeller" look that he has to break it to Aruto that his HumaGears are beyond "could be" and into absolutely an existential threat to humanity. HumaGears will go beserk if they feel sad or angry. The only people standing between humanity and annihilation is a guy that hangs out in basements all day, a petulant billionaire or a dude that has motorcycles dropped in from orbit. We'll put that in the Google Wave pile, Aruto buddy.

It does bug me that nobody in Hiden seems to realize that their priority should be finding a way to block the Ark’s signal before it can make Daybreak Town 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Sure, the buyout is an existential threat, but leaving things as they are, their main products can all spontaneously turn into killing machines, which would ruin them much more throughly than being absorbed.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

OH I like those villain costumes a lot

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Watching everyone take orders from colored blocks moving around like a low budget puppet show is going to be hilarious.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is this our first female Green ranger?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Is this our first female Green ranger?

Hammy from Kyuranger was first.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Hammy from Kyuranger was first.

There was also Midoninger from the Ninninger Returns special and, if you want to count her, Mele from Gekiranger.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

There was also Midoninger from the Ninninger Returns special and, if you want to count her, Mele from Gekiranger.

If you don't count her, you're wrong. She has a Ranger Key and Jan explicitely said she's GekiGreen. I will not accept Mele erasure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you don't count her, you're wrong. She has a Ranger Key and Jan explicitely said she's GekiGreen. I will not accept Mele erasure.

She also has her own zord and roll call, she’s close enough in my opinion (and by extension the same goes for Rio).

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I gotta ask: is Japanese kids' media just... less concerned with violence? Because between some of the darker KR shows and the fact that Fist of the North Star was in Shonen Jump, it feels like Japan is okay with 6-12 year olds watching blood and stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

I gotta ask: is Japanese kids' media just... less concerned with violence? Because between some of the darker KR shows and the fact that Fist of the North Star was in Shonen Jump, it feels like Japan is okay with 6-12 year olds watching blood and stuff.

It used to be a lot more loosey goosey with it, but you couldn't get away with the more graphic stuff that's in Kuuga nowadays that you could back in 2000.

See also, Dragon Ball Kai, which censored a lot of the worst violence and bloody scenes. Not AS much as American standards would, but by a considerable amount.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
We're finishing Gaoranger tonight lads, tune back in after a few hours and I'll have the last live notes up. I'm gonna start in like, 10 minutes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

It used to be a lot more loosey goosey with it, but you couldn't get away with the more graphic stuff that's in Kuuga nowadays that you could back in 2000.

See also, Dragon Ball Kai, which censored a lot of the worst violence and bloody scenes. Not AS much as American standards would, but by a considerable amount.

Yeah I noticed that stuff started going down after a certain point, like Gundam SEED had people getting microwaved like overcooked hot dogs, and after that things drop heavily for televised Gundam in terms of heavy violence until IBO comes out and even it is a Hell of a lot more subdued than SEED was with it's gorn

Personally I have a feeling there's some correlation between those facts...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the Garo franchise is the only one that's really bucked the trend in terms of grimey Toku. Its still more adult leaning but even it has toned down the gratuitous boobage. I don't really follow japanese TV but haven't really heard of any other real action and special effects oriented shows like KR or Ultraman. Which is kinda weird but I'm from a country where they strip mine IPs like crazy to keep stunt teams in work.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Gaoranger Episode 42 - Quest 45: The Battle Never Ends

- They're cleaning up Great A'tuin and they're doing some weird poo poo with a pole. Red went to see GaoLion. Yellow is very concerned.
- Granny Murasaki could get it I like her diadem thing
- history lesson the original Gaowarriors!
- White, they're not your ancestors their, oh god whatever
- Yellow is gonna have a flashback?! holy poo poo...
- RED INTERRUPTED HIS FLASHBACK AND YELLOW IS SO PISSED ABOUT IT
- so apparently Red spent the whole time with Gaolion hyping him up for some poo poo? now they're doing a role call. I guess the episode needed padding so they put this poo poo in here.
- oh wait a minute, it's a clip show to save on the budget, okay.
- I think this commentary will be short lmao
- I understand why clip shows exist, there's just not a whole lot to say about them
- lmao everyone was ignoring Red's stupid speech
- NOW HE'S SAD THO
- oh my god why did you remind me Silver exists
- now they're dunking on him for relying on Silver and always brining the mood down with that ahole
- now Silver's napping in a field and poo poo, RIVETING TELEVISION
- oh my god now we're getting more nooooooooo stoooooooooooop i didn't find it interesting the first time I don't find it interesting now
- guys I don't think I can take another series where the sixth ranger is so douchey
- the Gaorangers managed to drop a pillar on themselves and not die or get crippled
- this show finally made me laugh because Silver's douchey wind blew to warn him and he just went "huh, it's chilly" and then curled up in a ball
- now yabaiba is chilling in the woods feeling sorry for himself now that Rasetsu is dead, dude they killed your gf
- no honor among thieves eh
- now he misses her but you know they also hosed over the charcoal grill org so gently caress him
- now he's running out to try and fight them even though he's all normal sized...
- I see, its a gag where the Zord doesn't notice him because they're using it to do mundane clean up on the debris
- wait, why did the Zords go back to the Sky Island thing since GaoGod razed the whole thing in a tantrum? do they even have any proper land to live off of?
- I KNOW IT'S BS BUT IT BOTHERS ME
- now Princess Fish noticed Yabaiba and he's trying to threaten her
- goddammit not this poo poo again ffs
- just kill him
- he wants them to dance. okay.
- now we're getting comical subtitles.
- I don't know how to feel about this.
- like its a dude in a suit gyrating his hips
- kinda weird
- and offputting
- Silver's finally chilling ina hotspring and is like "gosh its hot...."
- apex of comedy here
- i'm jst gonna.. mute this...
- so he's just gonna teach em the moonwalk
- well at least he's able to do it right
- hey Silver's saving the day and not being a total up his own rear end douche about it for once
- ah now everyone's hot sprining
- p sure the actors were actually naked for that
- oh boy
- that was just weird.

Gaoranger Quest 46: The New Year Attacks
- now everyone's chilling around a kotatsu
- why are oranges a thing for New Years? idgi
- now we're getting comical Org stuff and Yabaiba is all alone with no Duke Org forthcoming
- Good
- Red's scolding them for slacking because he's one of those awful people that's always looking for a project
- hey, he actually had a good idea for once: find the Orgs first and ambush them
- this fulfills Red's Good Idea Quotient for the entire series
- oh now everyone's pumped
- interesting...Princess Fish's pool splashed on its own and the evil statue in the Org lair lights up at the same time HMMMMMMMM WHAT COULD THIS MEA-- it's power rangers, it doesn't mean poo poo and I bet the showrunners didn't even know they put it together like that in the editing room
- princess fish decided to make it a puzzle because of course.
- now we have a new year's org and he actually has a pretty good design, he has a rad hand puppet
- so Princess Fish remembers the way back to the evil lair but she turned it into a puzzle "because new year's." Yellow asks Princess Fish how she managed to walk through the forest blindfolded. she says "the Heians have strong legs" and leaves it at that even though its a blatently unsatisfying answer.
- I'm gonna go into insane conspiracy theory rn: Princess Fish was in league with the Orgs all along or is one of them or SOMETHING and she was playing the Gaorangers the entire time.
- Yabaiba came up with a really stupid scheme to spy on their dumb puzzle maps by flying himself on a kite in the air with a camera and he went and charlie browned it by tangling with a tree
- black and white are getting first place on the dumb contest Princess Fish made the LOCATION OF THE ENEMY'S HIDE OUT into.
- Princess Fish was the spy all alongggggggg
- I mean that's way too sophisticated for a show like this but dammit I can dream
- the new year's org wants to play a game too
- the gently caress is hanetsuki
- tennis?
- this is so weird, we're closing in on the end of the series... yeah its tennis
- lol White lost
- if you die in the game you die in real life!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!eleven1!!
- PRincess Fish lowkey roasts them on the next round: "win this time, okay?" goddamn
- I'm on to you, you spy....
- I just had a horrible thought: what if they let Red play one of these games
- oh my god they would die immediately, his stupidity would open a vortex into another dimension and suck them in like a black hole
- YELLOW FIGURED OUT THEY WERE ABOUT TO LOSE AND HE CONVINCED RED AND WHITE TO LOW KEY RUN AWAY AND SURE ENOUGH THEY WENT KABOOM
- oh cool now Yellow and NYE are playing Beyblade
- Yellow lost, which means he would have been exiled from my middle school beyblade gang
- there really was a Beyblade gang in my middle school, they walked around the halls with their Beyblades and would hit people with them and poo poo. they took it really seriously. ultimately they were just 12 year old turds though, they only lasted a week..
- huh, New Years Org all embiggened sounds just like GaoGod...its impossible to mistake that baritone whine of complacency!
- N-n-now Red and Silver are fusing...do that in private, guys!!!!!!
- jesus chrst Yabaiba fed the putties some of the rabbit poop pellets to make them grow huge, I didn't expect the enemy to have a scat fetish
- the putties disappeared... I'm thinking they were moving the evil lair by digging it up
- Yabaiba's not such a bad boss actually
- they're listening for a waterfall while they're standing nex to rushing river
- Princess Fiish, you suck really hard rn
- yup I was right, they scooped the evil lair out of the ground and moved it
- or they stomped on the trail to hide it, one of those, sure
- oHhHh NoOoOoOo ThEy HuRt NaTuRe
- Yabaiba is lamenting being alone, this is codependency
- Yabaiba has TsueTsue's, um, horn
- now she's talking through a rainbow mirror. what
- FORGET IT JAKE ITS POWER RANGERS

Gaoranger - Quest 47: The Steam Engine Roars!
- Great A'tuin flies...
- the Rangers are sulking, Org signals are at a high time low
- maybe they just need to purchase the 5g signal plan for only 10% more of their original data package price
- Yabaiba continues to hear voices from Beyond
- hahaha Tsuetsue is in Hell
- oh god...Org Hell is the inside of a warehouse! ORG HELL IS THE SPECTOR OF CAPITALISM
- or we're just getting a stupid steam train org whatevefr my idea was better
- Red tells them to stop loving complaining because the Orgs are still danger while their base is still around
- oh goddammit it's loving Fuutarou why is he back
- I hate little kid characters
- gently caress off dude you're annoying and dumb and I don't like you
- did he seriously come all this way to tell them the final batle is coming
- apparently all of the Orgs are oging to unite as one Org in a horrifying monstrosity like that VGCats comic mocking Captain Planet
- but apparently they have to deal with the steam train Org first? what? goddammit show
- White, you don't know if Yabaiba's out of the picture, that's a stupid assumption to make
- I still think Princess Fish is a traitor
- Yabaiba is getting a fishing rod
- okay maybe I was wrong
- Yabaiba's trying to give the cashier exact change and she's just :| through the whole exchange
- silver's part of the role call now so I guess he's finally a part of the team it just took until THE LAST SIX EPISODES
- Yabaiba found out that the steam train Org is supposed to be the last one and he's really offended and honestly why wouldn't he be? he's still there after all
- so the steam train Org threw a car at them and now they're like OH GOD THIS ORG IS SO POWERFUL but come on now
- Yabaiba turns on steam train Org bc apparently he has to beat the Power rangers so he can rescue Tsuetsue. ok, I can see that
- ohh he used it as a trap to get a battery charge off their evil striking sword or whatever okay
- Yabaiba flopping on the uneven ground honestly looks pretty real so I'm pretty sure they put that in there as a throw it in
- the steam train Org blows the top off their Zords and bisects their Zord combo basically. Brutal
- this definitely isn't the final fight though so I'm wondering what they're gonna do next
- now yabaiba is rescuing Tsuetsue through a fishing hole that's like 5 inches across? okay.
- just have Silver beat this Org so we can go
- oh no now the Zords are super damaged and hosed up...
- oh now all of a sudden they remember Yabaiba is there too
- GaoBison is ready to gore a bitch through the stomach
- now they're so strapped for a viable combination that they're desperately throwing their Zords together into whatever combination they can get
- of course this is the one with the key to defeating them
- aw poo poo he found Tsuetsue
- and she brought tons of useless crap with her
- ahahahaha she brought the Duke Orgs back with her
- SHUTEN IS BACK HE'S BAAAAAAAAAAAACK

Gaoranger - Quest 48: The Highnesses Return
- oh my goooooooooood who could have seen this coming
- ahahahah they're having a big stupid party and they're wearing party hats lmao
- they're finally doing karoake...Yellow is so happy
- the camera starts doing the thing where their 70% opacity faces slo-mo laugh into the camera and it legit looks like something out of a horror movie
- Blue loving annihlates the mood of the party by going gently caress YEAH WE'RE GONNA DISBAND AFTER THIS PARTY THIS RULES the silence afterwards is something to behold
- everyone is so stupid in this show i love it
- the Duke Orgs are back baybeee and the evil lair statue does this thing where it opens its mouth wide...
- Red and Yellow are literally out on a date where Red rescues cats from bushes and Yellow looks on in disdain
- Yellow begrudgingly compliments his leadership ability and of course Red is so overjoyed that he runs off and Yellow follows...are they gonna bang
- Black and Blue are planning to open a stew shop together presumably Black will get back together with his girl and Blue will rot away into inceldom
- Silver is sulking on the riverbank because of course he loving is.
- White interrupts him and badgers him into telling her what he wants
- he wants to travel Japan being a foodie and she immediately offers to go with him because she wants to ride that dick, and you know what? good for her, she deserves it after putting up with these aholes for so long
- Silver yelling I CAN HEAR THE WIND and running away to get out of that situation is honestly super unny so I'll allow it
- the zombie Evil Overlords are freaking the gently caress out in the evil lair
- Tsuetsue gets a power upgrade from the zombies and makes a legit O-face so uhhhh thats a thing
- this is also the show with a pearl clitoris statue in the good guy's place so
- Princess Fish is sad because they have homes to go home to and she doesn't. has she considered moving in with me to be my gf
- back to Yellow and Red's date, Yellow admits he's MIA and he might not have a job to go back to, he'll have to face serious consequences for being missing for so long. Red stares at his retreating back and sadly expresses he can't help with that...
- Silver seems to have gotten over his bashfulness. He admits his parents are dead and he has no home to go back to while White muses about her dad's studio
- Red tries to confess to Yellow and fails
- (i'm kidding but let me have this)
- the Rangers are called in on their LAST JOB
- every time I think I'm out they pull me back in...........
- Yellow tells them to be a good leader and kick their loving asses and Red's all in on it
- oh great slow mo running that never looks loving awful
- they're still padding the loving episode with a roll call! stop that!
- I wonder if the Orgs with two horns would DP a bitch
- i'm not saying i'd be that bitch but sometimes you get horny hahahahahaha :drums:
- oh poo poo an Org interferes with Princess Fish's water mirror thing
- the duke orgs finally showed up gd took y'all long enough
- when are we going to get that fused Org that's supposed to be so scary huh
- Mothman is still the worst, Shuten forever
- how did Red know about the Org Master again?
- I guess its that statue thing that's been going off like a faulty remote control dildo in the evil lair
- so Rasetsu is like "what you want me to fight Mothman?" and then Mothman is like "well if they're gonna INSIST we fuse together" and its like... those two things are not the same? Rasetsu fighting Mothman is not the same thing as them joining powers?
- oh god whatever its power rangers
- it looks like Princess Fish probably isn't a spy which is honestly disappointing bc my idea was much better okay
- the Zords tell them to haul butt
- guess these dudes are too powerful for you right now
- they'll have to grind so much to level up
- GaoLion spirits the rangers away but it came off as a suicide-by-cop thing
- so now all ofa sudden Tsuetsue is calling the shots? wait what?
- oh poo poo Red's all hosed up because Gaolion got hurt
- oh poo poo, everyone's hosed up
- they inverted the colors during the color correction process on the villains, that's how you know this is a big deal
- I bet they're going to have to make a deal with loving GaoGod, the ultimate bitch, to beat the powered up zombie Overlords

Gaoranger - Quest 49: The Matrix Closes
- the rangers have been all whumped and ohhhh my god I wasn't ready for slo mo shots of Red looking all pissed and bandaged up and poo poo
- pls show pls
- yes bro you're very pretty now STOP
- the boys are doing the worm on the floor while White is lying in bed with a bandaged eye? its such a weird dichotomy
- princess fish can tell that Red is going to do something stupid, he's staring morbidly at their group photo
- the human Labrador is having a sad you guys
- Princess Fish is only just now telling him that the Duke Orgs send off a special signal when they appear, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DIDN'T YOU TELL THEM THAT SOONER
- Red's like "yah I'm gonna go run off by myself to totes not-fight the Orgs, I'm only scoping out their base haha, I don't have manpain no sir"
- wait why would the Duke Orgs be able to absorb ALL THE POWERS from Org Hell they're not Malifecent
- Red's been spotted dis gonna be good
- Red's gonna get his rear end kicked I'm looking forward to it
- why is Silver on his back and hanging over a rock. oh yeah bc its Silver and he's a SUPER DUMBASS
- nooooooooooooooooooooooooo Red is falling off a cliff he might die like totes
- White tells them they need to get their poo poo together and go fight while she's unable to stand
- Yellow is literally wandering the wilds while he can barely stand yelling RED don't look at me don't touch me
- the others are there too I guess
- they find Red at the base of the cliff and he's unconscious honestly he's lucky his neck isn't broken
- maybe his neck will break for real if Black keeps holding his head at that angle
- see, he isn't dead
- Yellow does the angry yelling out of worry thing while Red tries to justify his assbrained decisions. Red is also an idiot
- GaoGod shows up and is like "sorry my b"
- why do you suck so much Gaogod
- Red's doing pretty good for a dude that fell into the grand canyon and was unconscious for over an hour
- but don't worry yall they're transforming so now their injuries are nonexistant
- so you're telling me that the Duke Orgs project their signature color into the sky when they appear and no one saw this before
-y'all are dumb as poo poo you know that right
- RED AND YELLOW JUST GOT HIT BY TENTACLES I DON'T LIKE WHERE THIS IS GOING
- red and yellow are fighting the best Duke Org, Shuten
- The Duke Orgs use [WEAK SLAP] on the Rangers! It was super effective!
- Tsuetsue is stirring a cauldron but she has it under this weird thing where there are three sticks tied into a teepee like this over it? but the cauldron is just wedged onto the ground between the three legs.
- so the Rangers are just getting their asses kicked
- Blue calls Black "president" because he'll be managing their stew shop... aw
- Yellow and Red are very concerned for each other, naturally Red tackles the dude head on because that was so effective last time
- ah I see, the stubborn one distracts the Duke Org and sacrifice shimself so the other one can go destroy the signal beam thing
- Yellow's frying like a bug in a zapper
- yaaaaay the Rangers are destroying the signal beam thingies
- now watch it all go wrong because GaoGod hosed this up too
- so apparently destroying the signal beam things results in a barrier being destroyed which reveals a giant space vagina in the middle of the air
- Princess Fish decides to face off against Tsuetsue alone because Gaogod is worse than useless
- ah they're going super saiyan
- Fuutarou plans to "purify" Tsuetsue's heart? okay.
- rangers are still getting their asses kicked but whatever
- so Gaogod could seal away the statue in the evil lair and seal off the Org's power this whole time.
- jesus christ
- Remember when Yabaiba sealed off the Rangers sword's powers? yeah, I do too.
- hint: they're about to use the sword in a Mexican stand off
- I still thing it would have been cooler if Princess Fish was a traitor
- the Rangers blew themselves up and fried their weapon along with the Duke Orgs
- they think they won but they're two episodes early, they're not done
- Yabaiba is about to gently caress this up isn't he
- Tsuetsue is telling him to "resist" and become the ultimate Org
- I don't like where this goinnnnng
- so this woman was incubating another egg in her stupid cauldron. Silver is like "wow what a powerful wind." here's no wind buddy. maybe it was all in your head the whole time.
- oh sweet the three Duke Orgs fused together and they look like Yabaiba. Unless that's also Yabaiba and it was a foursome?
-
Gaoranger - Quest 50: The Hundred Beasts Die
- okay so Yabaiba didn't join in, it just looks like him
- the new Org is Senki
- Senki looks kinda mediocre tbh
- so apparently the Orgs fused like this once before but of course this couldn't have been told to us sooner because why would it
- Senki laser beams them
- when are we getting to the sight of a hundred animals dying, i yearn to see endangered species die by the hundreds
- so now he's just using the leftover power of Orgs to grow into a giant? okay
- blah blah world domination blah
- fuutaro is flying in the air again to form Gaogod proper. well then
- remember when you wanted to side with Orgs and let them take over the world, GaoGod? I do. I don't trust you.
- apparently Gaogod tried this a thousand years ago and lost then too lmao
- Silver plans to summon his beasts and poo poo go forth young man
- but then he fucks up and fails because of course, and then Gaogod loving bites it, because of course
- PRincess Fish flies in her turtle spaceship and beams everyone up star trek style...using the pearl clitoris statue.
- why is that statue even there, it bothers me so much
- Senki shows a modicum of common sense and realizes they're headed to their stupid zoo and plans to follow them
- Fuutarou offers a bunch of lame excuses about why he lost and then tells them "its, like, about team work man" before he "dies" and turns into sand
- god's don't die my dudes he's fine
- Black points out common sense and goes "gods don't die" White is distraught by this and falls to her knees while Silver has a panic attack
- Yellow is doing the Stoic Manpain thing ohgod
- Princess Fish is like "wait, but isn't he up in heaven now?"
- Senki showed up, finally. I'm expecting some grade-a destruction dude
- Gaolion and the phoenix are super mad
- the animals are gonna bite it and its totally gonna be sweet
- yeeeeeeeeeeees GaoFalcon just loving exploded and the gem shattered
- the jewels are calling, they wanna fight... but they're gonna bite it instead
- Silver is too injured to fight, good
- the Rangers are getting their asses kicked and the animals are still coming to their aid
- apparently the loving deer is the key to defeating Senki or some poo poo? ah, "the healing powers sapped his fighting spirit" if you say so
- I fully expect thtis to go horribly
- aaaaaaaaand Senki explodes into cum leaving the gross egg behind
- and the cum coalesces back into Senki. ugh that's so gross
- yeeeeeeees kill the gently caress out of that stupid deer
- HAHAHAH ALL THE POWER ANIMALS ARE DYING THIS OWNS
- ahahah even the Bird Soul thing exploded
- ur helpless now
- this is the same stretch of river that Red floated down when he had his amnesia episode
- the original power animals are still standing and they're ready to also bite it in a futile last stand against a powerful enemy
- the Zords and Senki are slapping ineffectually at each other! v srs busnss!!!
- Senki spins like a top and creates a tornado to whip the zords around and around with. okay.
- so apparently the Zord can act independently of its pilots
- yup they're totally biting it
- I'm laughing really hard and I don't even know why
- Red's face, the labrador is having a sad!!!!
- yup they're all gone
- and their cell phones disappered into dust too
- gosh y'all are boned huh
- oh hey we're seeing civvies for the first time in like 25 episodes
- Senki standing there like "the camera just turned itself on i'm not a model"
- Senki whining about humans destroying nature like he's not made of trash lmao
- muh age of orgsssss
- oh no he's hitting them like acid rain or some poo poo
- looks like it'll take a real big deus ex machina to get out of this one!

The adventure continues...in the next post!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Gaoranger - Final Quest: The Hundred Beasts Roar!!
- wow! it's the final episode!
- it's been an interesting journey huh... well i'm glad we got to take it together
- let's watch the final episode together, okay?
- putties are randomly kicking people in the shins! this is terrible!
- mean while Great atuin is uhhh literally falling out of the sky
- so apparently Murasaki left Princess Fish a totally sweet broadsword to stab people with and she never mentioned this before
- so their turtle space ship jumps off Great A'tuin while A'tuin is literally falling out of the sky and will cause a gigantic disaster if it crashes to the earth
- the power rangers are fighting in the rain, this must have been a miserable shoot for these poor actors
- everyone is soaking wet except Red's hair is totally dry in his first shot lmao so he got it right in one take while the others had to do multiples? oh man
- they go to the stop of a sky scraper while lightning flashes around them where they plan to wave a metal sword around
- hey no one said the Power Rangers were smart
- hmmm, Red is very pretty when he's all scraped up and bruised, yes
- so they throw Red at giant sized Senki so he can stab him with the sword and he's like OH YEAH HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT and senki is like "are you loving kidding me"
- Murasaki's broadsword sucks, so what
- he's Kakeru Shishi, a vet, and he's gonna reveal his secret identity to the Orgs bc gently caress opsec amirite
- oh great now everyone's rattling off their stupid names
- even Yellow is in on it and he makes sure to introduce himself to Red specifically by name because to hell with his teammates, yes I see what you did there show, hmmm yes good
- random balls of light dispell the rain and start floating around? okay?
- so Murasaki also mentioned this bc apparently there are hundreds of power animals they never claimed who were awakened by their woobie power of gay heart bullshit?
- I mean it makes as much sense as anything else in this show
- all sorts of dumb and weird poo poo is showing up now
- ayyyy the original power animals are back, its like they never disappeared at all
- How the Rangers Got Their Balls Back
- seriously the jewels are shaped like balls
- oh thank god another roll call for a second i forgot who these people were
- Senki is baffled and frightened by the theme song sounding out of no where
- can you blame him? I don't
- they nuked Senki...now d-d-destroy his eggs, senpai!!! *blush*
- that can't be it, that's too short
- oh right the Evil Couple
- the evil lair is falling apaaaart
- evil doesn't pay evildoers
- haha they got crushed and entombed
- hey its random civvies again
- wait, do we care about them? i'm confused they never appear
- so the trains are running again after that horror show, well okay
- the power animals are telling them to get lost holy poo poo lmao
- "yeah we love you and stuff but now it's time to leave so gently caress off"
- i can't stop laughing this is so stupid
- aw, Yellow called Red a good leader
- White is concerned, she doesn't want him to leave
- "wait what about Princess Fish?"
- she tells them she's going back into cryosleep for the next battle and they're like "drat bro I can't live that long"
- Blue wants you to be his gf
- Silver runs up on her and is like "yeah so I'm like super old so can I cryosleep too"
- but he can't...he's a normal guy he'll get freezer burn like super bad
- she's asking for their G phones but didn't they dissolve into dust
- I guess they have to give up their jackets too
- drat and Yellow was the one who fought the longest
- STOP IT WITH THE SLO MO, STOP IT
- I SAID STOP IT
- Black's vest is so stupid I love it
- THOSE G PHONES LITERALLY TURNED TO DUST AND DISSOLVED LAST EPISODE WHY ARE THEY BACK
- this loving show is infuriating i swear to christ
- who there are military planes dropping people and poo poo... ayyyy Yellow/Gaku Washio is back in the Air Force! they're giving him a second chance because he's young, aw
- White/Sae Taiga's making her dad proud ;____;
- Silver tries to help an old lady and she tells him to gently caress off drat. and that's it. thats all he loving does. thank god, I thought he was going to waste our time with his stupid angst story
- Black/Soutarou is literally working on a farm, and he's going to open a shop with....his gf? okay but...
- Blue is working at a surf shop... okay. that's kinda lame but okay
- Kakeru/Red once again has a line of women out of the door and he's PUTTING A CONE OF SHAME ON A DOGGO SO CUTE
- oh my god he's treating a parakeet and calling it the "noble eagle" and Yellow/Gaku literally walks through the door to clown on him and mock him for baby talking to the bird YES I'M LIVING
- so now they have a "where are they now" credit sequence where Princess Fish and Fuutarou show up and also Silver randomly rejoins them? but its actually pretty cute so I'll allow it.
- so Red offers some for Gaolion too even though its not supposed to work like that. okay.

Aaaaaaaand cut!

That was a wild ride from start to finish.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
An abject failure, because at no point was GaoGod given the vicious swirlies he deserves. Still, pretty good

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

coconono posted:

the Garo franchise is the only one that's really bucked the trend in terms of grimey Toku. Its still more adult leaning but even it has toned down the gratuitous boobage. I don't really follow japanese TV but haven't really heard of any other real action and special effects oriented shows like KR or Ultraman. Which is kinda weird but I'm from a country where they strip mine IPs like crazy to keep stunt teams in work.

Garo also airs late at night, IIRC, or at least the first one did. It's more like if Adult Swim had a toku block.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Did the Zi-O movie ever come out/get subs? Or are we still waiting?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's out, but no subs.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Three more episodes of Kuuga to go!

So I didn't expect his first fight with No. 0 to be almost completely offscreen aside from a short blurry showing of the aftermath of the fight. That's something modern Rider would never do, not showing a fight with a major villain. It's kind of interesting also because since the last episode ends with him beating No. 46, we don't really get to see Godai talking about turning into black Kuuga with anyone or how they feel about it. We just know he's going to go fight No. 0 and everyone is hoping he'll succeed.

I also really liked that the entire episode is Godai going around talking to everyone and smiling and having fun with them, but then we see that it's really all just an act, he's not in a good place right now and something frightening could happen.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

An abject failure, because at no point was GaoGod given the vicious swirlies he deserves. Still, pretty good

My ultimate pronouncement on Gaoranger is that It's Not Terrible. The conflict itself is a dumb mess and the characters never get arcs. But I think the strength of the show is how consistent everyone is: no one gets a personality transplant, the friendships feel real, and even the villains get consistent characterization that makes them feel really vivid. The show doesn't do the stupid American thing where it gets bogged down in pretentious ideals either.

Gaoranger was pretty good though as you said, a major failing is that Gaogod never gets clowned on like he deserves.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Okay episode 50 was just a joke episode so I guess I only had two left. But now I've finished Kuuga.

The final fight with No. 0 is definitely as brutal as everyone said. It's a stark contrast with modern Rider where we're cheering "Yeah kick his rear end!" when the main character faces off against a bad guy, but here there's no cheering, there's no feeling of triumph, it just feels bad.

The actual final episode not even having any fighting, transformation, special effects at all, that's another thing modern Rider would never do these days. It was an interesting choice and I like it. It feels a lot different, showing how all the characters have changed over the course of the series and how everything has ended up. Much better than stuff like Zi-O where the final episode is usually the final fight and then you have like five minutes to show "And that's what happened after."

It's also really interesting how the ending of Blade is very similar to Kuuga in a lot of ways, something I didn't really expect.

So yeah. I liked Kuuga a lot. I don't know if I could or would watch it again. It's definitely a very slow show, which isn't a bad thing at all, but it does mean once you've seen all the character beats there isn't a lot to keep interest on a rewatch. This leaves Agito as the only Heisei Rider I haven't fully watched, I think I watched about 15 episodes or so with the old terrible quality Cruel Angel subs. I know there's better subs now of course, but I'm not in a hurry to watch it as I already have a lot of stuff I need to catch up on.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

deadly_pudding posted:

Garo also airs late at night, IIRC, or at least the first one did. It's more like if Adult Swim had a toku block.
Garo's toku shows have always been at night, yeah. Specifically they had a midnight time slot, and I remember it being a minor ordeal when it got replaced by Code:M for one season.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Trogglodyte posted:

Garo's toku shows have always been at night, yeah. Specifically they had a midnight time slot, and I remember it being a minor ordeal when it got replaced by Code:M for one season.

That doesn't look like a trailer for a real show. Like, you could take a Tim Heidecker voiceover from Decker and put it over that trailer and it would fit perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-EqQhF_9o

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay episode 50 was just a joke episode so I guess I only had two left. But now I've finished Kuuga.

The final fight with No. 0 is definitely as brutal as everyone said. It's a stark contrast with modern Rider where we're cheering "Yeah kick his rear end!" when the main character faces off against a bad guy, but here there's no cheering, there's no feeling of triumph, it just feels bad.

The actual final episode not even having any fighting, transformation, special effects at all, that's another thing modern Rider would never do these days. It was an interesting choice and I like it. It feels a lot different, showing how all the characters have changed over the course of the series and how everything has ended up. Much better than stuff like Zi-O where the final episode is usually the final fight and then you have like five minutes to show "And that's what happened after."

It's also really interesting how the ending of Blade is very similar to Kuuga in a lot of ways, something I didn't really expect.

So yeah. I liked Kuuga a lot. I don't know if I could or would watch it again. It's definitely a very slow show, which isn't a bad thing at all, but it does mean once you've seen all the character beats there isn't a lot to keep interest on a rewatch. This leaves Agito as the only Heisei Rider I haven't fully watched, I think I watched about 15 episodes or so with the old terrible quality Cruel Angel subs. I know there's better subs now of course, but I'm not in a hurry to watch it as I already have a lot of stuff I need to catch up on.

I'm glad you liked kuuga, it's always disheartening to see people write it off because of its strange pacing but it's still my personal favorite. I actually go back to it every so often because I like the very wholesome tone of the everyday life scenes. I repeat this a lot but, it has very strong "hometown" energy.

Agito isn't a great follow up imo and I understand why kuuga's cast and crew asked the agito crew not to make it a direct sequel, or at least not in the same continuity. Kuuga tells a complete story and agito kind of cheapens it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Agito is a step down in almost every single way, and connected, makes no sense.

But it also makes no sense disconnected from it, due to G3. It's a problem. One thing that really helps sell the final fight, really hammers home the themes of the show- in the end, Godai is crying his heart out, while the villain laughs and laughs. Amazons is the only piece of Rider that approaches that kind of brutality, but Amazons makes it more palatable a lot of the time by presenting it as 'cool'. Even when its sad or tragic or scary, it's also pretty cool.

Kuuga, it's not cool. Violence is not good. It may be necessary, but it is the last resort and it will destroy you. Escalation of power is also very pointedly a bad thing. The main thing that holds Kuuga back from being my favorite, though it's pretty much tied for second, is just how rough it can be to rewatch it. I need some time to pass because it's a rough one.

If you want to tackle something with that kind of emotional depth, Ultraman Nexus is waving hello by the by

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I give Agito credit for setting up a lot of the traditions of the franchise like multiple Riders and the like, but agree that it came off like a lesser replica of its predecessor. Even the suits were similar enough that it took me a while to be able to remember the difference between them beyond coloration.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll say one thing, G3 is the coolest suit in all of Agito and imo up there among the best-looking early heisei suits, probably second to Kabuto.

It's a suit of powered armor that Hikawa has to put on manually, and watching it get deployed is always hype. Even if it's just there to job for five minutes before Agito arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
There's something fantastic that Hikawa never gives up. He gets clowned for the first half of the show until G3 gets upgraded; but goddamnit he tries his best every single time.

There's also a really nice touch about how G3 is keeping him alive that the show never directly spells out. Since the lords only want to kill humans blessed with the Seed of Agito; Hikawa wasn't going to be killed. You see in an early episode that when one of the lords killed a normal human woman, the Overlord forced her to commit suicide. It's something cool I didn't pick up on until I was thinking back about the series.