Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

opengl128 posted:

Saddle valve? The dude who installed our humidifier used one of those to tap into the water line and I was not happy about it.

Probably not since those don’t really fly in commercial spaces, they definitely suck though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

logical fallacy posted:

When you do that also make one flipped upside down with eyes so it's a beluga.

What is she thinking?

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/uncleduke1969/status/1148807236447289344?s=21

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Add a drawbridge and this seems pretty rad.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Grandma kickflips over the gap and then eats poo poo after her board hits the plastic bag of old rags.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

If I lived here, I'd have a hard time not answering my door with, "I am a meat Popsicle," any time someone knocks.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

poemdexter posted:

Grandma kickflips over the gap and then eats poo poo after her board hits the plastic bag of old rags.

I legit thought that was a cat

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

opengl128 posted:

I legit thought that was a cat

Schrodinger's Plastic Bag.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I love stairs.

https://imgur.com/gallery/HKKz9Yp

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I have never felt less protected.

e:

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 24, 2020

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

The only thing I like more than falling down the stairs is falling up them

Oh and hitting my head

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Super Soaker Party! posted:

For the last few pages this thread has really been some crappy crapper construction tales.

FTFY

I would be OK with this as, like, a micro-hotel. On the interstate in my hometown, there used to be a motel that had rooms just big enough for a bed, for travelers just wanting to get some sleep while driving, not to *stay* there for any length. Nightly rate was cheap. I thought it was a good idea, but I guess the market didn't.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure how toilet services were arranged. I presume a community restroom.

I heard you like stairs. So we put some stairs on your stairs...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

OK, so

a) How do you cover the giant, round window in front of your bed when you want privacy?
b) You enter through the shower ...?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

a) How do you cover the giant, round window in front of your bed when you want privacy?
The giant round window is your door. Except there's no way to get there without a ladder outside.

You enter through the shower. Except that door is blocked by the a/c unit.

Since you cannot get inside the room, privacy is not an issue.

E: The most efficient use of floorspace is a boring old cuboid.
The 2nd least efficient is a cylinder (after a sphere)

Give that a) Hong Kong has the most expensive land in the world and b) construction costs are a fraction of the land purchase price, which of these two shapes would a competent architect use as a basis for his accommodation?

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 25, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shut up Meg posted:

The giant round window is your door. Except there's no way to get there without a ladder outside.

You don't get in because the building doesn't exist.

All those pods in the exterior shot are copied and pasted from a single picture, which is why the perspective looks so hosed

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

GotLag posted:

You don't get in because the building doesn't exist.

All those pods in the exterior shot are copied and pasted from a single picture, which is why the perspective looks so hosed

On the website they have concept diagrams with a great big fire escape kind of thing at the back ... so you're meant to enter through the shower.

Shut up Meg posted:

E: The most efficient use of floorspace is a boring old cuboid.
The 2nd least efficient is a cylinder (after a sphere)

Give that a) Hong Kong has the most expensive land in the world and b) construction costs are a fraction of the land purchase price, which of these two shapes would a competent architect use as a basis for his accommodation?

Yeah, pretty much this. When I've stayed in this kind of accommodation in Hong Kong it's been a rectangular room with just enough room for the bed, and a corner partitioned off as a combination toilet/shower.

If you really wanted to do this, I don't doubt that you could get 2.2mx2.2m square-profile concrete tubes for the same price as the 2.2m diameter pipe.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Meanwhile shipping containers are already square, stackable, not concrete, and available to purchase.
My idea to increase Silicon Valley housing is to stack techbro container studios under the highways. Please, somebody...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It looks like Dashir Ishat is making portable prisons. Just needs a giant claw crane to move the prisoners around without leaving their cells.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m that one brave bollard holding back the tide of cylinders.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

It looks like Dashir Ishat is making portable prisons. Just needs a giant claw crane to move the prisoners around without leaving their cells.

Wait, if those are 2.2m pipes overlapping by, say, 400mm (can someone do the math?), and if the catwalk structure is only 100mm thick (which seems light but doable with steel I’d think) that means the catwalk would be 1.7m floor to ceiling. Or about 6/7 of my height :/

e: oh, and 1.7m between flights of stairs. Anyone over about 1.5m tall would smack their heads walking down that.

NoSpoon fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jan 25, 2020

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

NoSpoon posted:

Wait, if those are 2.2m pipes overlapping by, say, 400mm (can someone do the math?), and if the catwalk structure is only 100mm thick (which seems light but doable with steel I’d think) that means the catwalk would be 1.7m floor to ceiling. Or about 6/7 of my height :/

e: oh, and 1.7m between flights of stairs. Anyone over about 1.5m tall would smack their heads walking down that.

If you didn't want to get your head smacked maybe you shouldn't have been so poor that you needed to live in a sewer pipe. :colbert:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

NoSpoon posted:

Assuming I mathed right it's almost exactly a 300mm overlap, so enjoy your luxurious 1.8m.

E: wait they're 2.5m pipes, not 2.2. So ~2.16 metres between floors, less the walkway

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 25, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NoSpoon posted:

Allow me to translate that to something Americans can grasp:

Ben loving Shapiro would bang his head on that.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I've been trying to think of this answer and can only come up with giant shutters on the outside.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use an iris mechanism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXq9qZNVw7Q

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Or, as we call it in the future, the decontamination unit.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Now I have to get one just to add two hands and a ring.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Round windows work with vertical blinds, horizontal blinds, other shuttery things, electronic darkening stuff, and one-way mirrors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One‐way mirrors ain’t gonna work, chief.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I remember this level in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Alice Garden Pods in DXHR were only the size of a mattress, but all the other amenities were communal and quite spacious.

This is a solitary confinement prison for people who have been sentenced to wage slavery

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
The two big problems I see with them are the air gaps between them and the total lack of insulation. Concrete isn't a great insulator, and the air gaps between the units mean that even a light breeze will bring the units to Ambient°. Also, how do you mount even a minisplit in that mess?

Hex or rectangular would have been loads better, at least then you could sandwich insulation between the units. The best you could do with this is a case of Great Stuff, which isn't very good.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
But if you use square-section units it won't be clever or unique :(

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Because if you use custom built materials you have to admit that you are just designing 21st century slave quarters, not a quirky mini home to bravely take on the "housing crisis".

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why are there loving guard/sniper towers?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

frodnonnag posted:

Why are there loving guard/sniper towers?

For the disabled.

They’re lifts/elevators. Actually, if that’s the case, I can’t explain why there are two.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Everytime I see a Toto toilet, I hum a few bars of Africa.

And also, someone put an offer on the crazy Jackson, MS megamansion from a few pages back

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/100-Bob-White-Ln-Ridgeland-MS-39157/54402982_zpid/

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

For the disabled.

They’re lifts/elevators. Actually, if that’s the case, I can’t explain why there are two.

You can see the stairs in the left one. Maybe the right one is an elevator and the other is stylized for symmetry?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Platystemon posted:

For the disabled.

You always have a pair so that if one breaks down, disabled folks can use the second. It's extremely common in transit, for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

peanut posted:

Meanwhile shipping containers are already square, stackable, not concrete, and available to purchase.
My idea to increase Silicon Valley housing is to stack techbro container studios under the highways. Please, somebody...

I’m sorry, there might be less parking or a shadow on a park if you do this, San Francisco would never allow it.