Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

Cryptopsy was the first harsh vocal band I got into as a teen and I think NSV is still my favorite dm album. actually that's probably Elvenefris but goddamn is NSV a masterpiece.

That is truly diving into the deep end as a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Kilometers Davis posted:

I still can’t believe my ears when I listen to it. It’s insane and always will be.

was just listening to it again yesterday while walking to get coffee by my office. while waiting in line i did a subtle but obviously noticeable fist pump after that slick bass line that transitions into the breakdown on "slit your guts". the lady getting me my coffee noticed.

i just can't help it. NSV is so loving good.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

That is truly diving into the deep end as a start.

heh yeah getting into metal via a video game message board had its perks. tbf I probably started listening to Opeth around the same time and also screamo stuff like Orchid and City of Caterpillar.

thread, what was the band that made you fall in love with harsh vocals?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Children of Bodom, a band I will go to the grave defending the first 3 albums of.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

heh yeah getting into metal via a video game message board had its perks. tbf I probably started listening to Opeth around the same time and also screamo stuff like Orchid and City of Caterpillar.

Shout out GameFAQs board 235, which I may or may not still use.

Not sure what made me fall in love with them but my earliest harsh vox bands were Atheist, Carcass and Death.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Nazzadan posted:

Whisper Supremacy is really good, then they kinda go to poo poo for a long time. The 2 new Tome EPs are both good, though.

Yeah, the newer stuff is more what I was wondering about, I should've said after Lord Worm's 2nd departure. I kept up with them through Once Was Not, but after Unspoken King came out I just completely stopped paying attention to them.

Good to hear the new EPs are worth checking out.

First band with harsh vocals would be Opeth's Deliverance or Children of Bodom's Fear the Reaper. I bought them both at the same time from Tower Records NOLA while down there for a family vacation.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 25, 2020

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Nordick posted:

The fifth track "Rising Scum" sounds like blackened Manowar and it's loving great.

Album owns.

Aethenar has admitted that he blatantly steals Manowar riffs all the time and the the last part of Crushed by Demons is just Each Dawn I Die.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

my bony fealty posted:

Death or Carcass

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
best band 2019 I dunno, If Nervosa is still loving touring its them.

They deserve it

Its late jan gently caress you.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 24, 2020

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

Sepultura - Arise

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Nazzadan posted:

Children of Bodom, a band I will go to the grave defending the first 3 albums of.

:same:

first harsh vocal song I can clearly remember listening to was Bodom's Every Time I Die

Bodom led me to In Flames, which led me to Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, and Arch Enemy and then just kept going

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/hellahammer/status/1220777337626611712?s=19

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
what was the band that made you fall in love with harsh vocals?

Fall in love with harsh vocals, first instance was...Burzum.
The scream on Feeble..its an intro to a new world

1992/93

Then this

Bathory - Equimanthorn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvj7hwbpj6U

Radio show playing black metal and taping it to cassette...

Darkthrone Under A Funeral Moon is their best album

Then cannibal corpse, chris barnes.

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 24, 2020

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Amon Amarth maybe, i am not even sure anymore.

Edit:
Opeth

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Its ok to like burzum first 3 albums and hate varg

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
New Midnight video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfy1guqjuzU

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

Nazzadan posted:

Whisper Supremacy is really good, then they kinda go to poo poo for a long time. The 2 new Tome EPs are both good, though.

Both NSV and WS are about as solid as it gets. Never understood the hate WS got from some people.

Some of the guys in Cryptopsy run a microbrew pub in Montreal now, should be interesting

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Hell yeah. While I haven't read anything beyond actual FAQs on that site in a long time, that board was my big gateway into metal back in the early 00s, back before I had decent internet for files and stuff.
I can't remember what first got me into harsh vox first, but I did blind purchased Winds of Creation at 15 and that poo poo rocked my face off for a long time.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

It just unfortunately had to follow up NSV, and the vocalist change probably didn't help preconceived notions that it would be bad without Worm. Like Slough Feg's Atavisim sure it's great but lmao it's following up Traveller.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Apparently the organizers of Las Vegas Death Fest had some huge falling out and that fest might not be happening anymore. That's a drat shame because LVDF had incredible brutal death metal lineups.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Whoever is running their Facebook page right now is quite possibly the most annoying person on the planet. Anyway, Chicago Deathfest for life!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I used to kinda dig the odd Children of Bodom song back in the day, but that was despite the vocals. I think they kinda laid the groundwork though, in getting me to tolerate the screamy stuff.

The first harsh vocals album that really loving grabbed me, though, was Norther's debut, Dreams of Endless War. I think that's when I passed from just tolerating harsh vocals to appreciating them as just one vocal style among others. Not really sure what made the difference for me, maybe it was because Lindroos' vocals were steadier and more intelligible than Alexi Laiho's YOW YOWing? I dunno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhITH_iDj6A

It's cheesy as poo poo but still a pretty fun spin.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

Skinny Puppy, although I actually hated it when I first heard it. Metal wise, I wanna say Emperor.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I got into death metal because of Opeth.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

my bony fealty posted:

I missed this earlier but Orchid loving rule and they and bands like Fear Before the March of Flames probably introduced me to harsh vocals. When I jumped over to metal in high school the vocals didn't really turn me off because of screamo and hardcore.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I found some doom metal stuff for the weekend, because I guess it's doom o'clock.

https://heavypsychsoundsrecords.bandcamp.com/album/acid-mammoth-under-acid-hoof - Acid Mammoth. Greek doom metal. Very Sabbath'y. Also very good.

https://chains.bandcamp.com/ - Chains. Slovenian doom metal. Vocalist sounds .. a bit like if you crossed Tony Wakeford with Danzig.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Yes, that song pretty much does what it says in the title. Good poo poo!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oh my god
https://www.facebook.com/sacramentumofficial/posts/2965686710160240

quote:

This dare we say is the follow up to Far Away from the Sun. In close collaboration with my long time brother of the mighty Grotesque/Liers in wait, Necrolord has begun preparations for a new stunning painting. The artwork will reflect the music just as it did on Far Away from the Sun.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

my bony fealty posted:

Napalm Death on Beavis and Butthead changed my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K_hDidbHHk

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Some of my first harsh vocals were these songs from the Thrasher Skate Rock comp tape I got in 85

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li9EAyA_0O0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kn1x09c5Lc

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Not sure what made me fall in love with them but my earliest harsh vox bands were Atheist, Carcass and Death.

235 (and, more importantly, its Soulseek room) 4 lyfe

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
So I just discovered Brothers Of Metal..

Oh my god, this is amazingly cheesy but good power metal.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Wachter posted:

235 (and, more importantly, its Soulseek room) 4 lyfe

haha I think I spent much of my teen years online with you guys and now we've all graduated to SA eh

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

It was probably Black Dahlia Murder and Amon Amarth together that got me into harsh vocals, still have pretty big soft spots for both of them.

Also ordered these from NWN

Vehement Thrower, 90s death metal with some grind influences that I had been waiting to see reissued: https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/i-come-in-peace

and the Lurker of Chalice demo collection: https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/tellurian-slaked-furnace

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Gamespot subforums where how I got introduced to metal.

Does anyone remember Black Metal Radio:

http://www.blackmetalradio.com/index.php

Site doesn't seem to work quite right anymore, but in the pre-youtube days this is where I discovered a lot of black/death metal.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

P.O.D. for those harsh vocals. Hah.

I ran sound for the church youthgroup I was in. Someone left a blank CD with the sharpie title "Terminate Damnation." Of course that sounded badass. So I guess Becoming the Archetype got me into metal, and their forums got me into other stuff.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My close friend in high school (who I later formed a band with and who even later went on to join BTBAM) brought over a copy of Cannibal Corpse's Bloodthirst, and I think that was my first "extreme" metal album. I mean, I'd heard Korn and stuff before that, but that Corpse album was just unlike anything I'd heard.

Edit - it was either that or In Flames' Jester Race album

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 25, 2020

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

that's cool i guess but they already had two follow ups to that album that weren't as good.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

COOL CORN posted:

My close friend in high school (who I later formed a band with and who even later went on to join BTBAM) brought over a copy of Cannibal Corpse's Bloodthirst, and I think that was my first "extreme" metal album. I mean, I'd heard Korn and stuff before that, but that Corpse album was just unlike anything I'd heard.

Edit - it was either that or In Flames' Jester Race album

A girl I played Tribes with knew I liked nu-metal and was like "hey try this" and it was a three-punch combo of "Coffinfeeder", "Pounded Into Dust", and "Blowtorch Slaughter". It was all over for me after that and death metal very quickly became my #1 musical love and still is 20 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

A human heart posted:

that's cool i guess but they already had two follow ups to that album that weren't as good.

Maybe they've had 20 years to write stuff as good as their debut