Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Drunkboxer posted:

What if... and bear with me here, this is going to get a little wild, Mister Spock (Mr. Star Track himself) is an epic badass who’s PISSED! Also it turns out he has a cool nephew or something.

That sounds loving awesome. I just hope they get away from the boring space politics for nerds that turned off mainstream audiences and take Trek back to its roots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep. That mention of ten thousand evacuation ships sounds like a lot but it's not even close to sufficient for the scale of disaster they're dealing with.

What if they’re like, really friggen huge ships?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Dahj's "death" seemed a little odd to me. It's as if the stuff the Romulan spat on her (blood?) started eating her away like acid, paralyzing her so she couldn't move away from the overloading disruptor. I think she did have time to move otherwise. I'm also not sure she's really gone. "Didn't appear on the security footage" and "didn't find any remains" seems highly suspicious, especially given that the assassins are explicitly using highly accurate and fast transporter tech.

The tie-in comic establishes that Laris and Zhaban, the Romulans with Picard, are agents of the Tal Shiar.

Romulans were behind the attack on Dahj. Probably Tal Shiar.

The attack was in San Franscisco, but Picard somehow mysteriously ends up back at his home in France, trusting the word of said Tal Shiar agents. I guess Starfleet security didn't want to question him about the attack on their campus?

The other twin is with the Romulans on the Borg cube.

The Tal Shiar agents likely went with Picard to keep tabs on him knowing that the synths like Dahj would end up contacting Picard. They probably know this because they've kidnapped Bruce Maddox and are using him to make synths using Lore's neurons, which are the ones that attacked Mars. Laris and Zhaban did something to spook Dahj, which is why she left in the middle of the night. They informed Romulan security of Picard's location when he went to San Franscisco and attacked as soon as they had a chance. Laris and Zhaban successfully kidnapped Dahj, got rid of the bodies and blood somehow, and beamed Picard to his chateau before he could be questioned.

This theory could completely fall apart next episode when Picard presumably goes to Starfleet with his request. We'll see how much they know about the attack then. Wouldn't an attack on Starfleet Headquarters have them on the highest security alert possible? With an explosion as big as there is in the episode, no way they couldn't have detected it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Delthalaz posted:

That sounds loving awesome. I just hope they get away from the boring space politics for nerds that turned off mainstream audiences and take Trek back to its roots!

https://youtu.be/02LgdXVkXgM

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Delthalaz posted:

..and take Trek back to its roots!

Space racism against folks with pointy ears?

I'm wondering how the Romulans managed to evict the Borg so they could take over that cube. Or was it just left derelict, like the cube that crashed on Earth back in Enterprise?

Making Dahj and her twin at the same time in production makes sense.. one is literally a backup of the other.

Puh-lease don't let this involve Control from Discovery..

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Hahaha that video aged poorly

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Binary Badger posted:

I'm wondering how the Romulans managed to evict the Borg so they could take over that cube. Or was it just left derelict, like the cube that crashed on Earth back in Enterprise?

Making Dahj and her twin at the same time in production makes sense.. one is literally a backup of the other.

If some combination of Hugh’s independence and whatever Admiral Janeway did in Endgame had crippled the Borg, they could have been disorganized and disconnected when the Romulans found them. Easy pickings, especially when your back is against the wall after Hobus and you have nothing left to lose.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

I'm still worried that they'll use this to set up Discovery season 3 and the Section 31 show. I'm going to cringe the second I hear the words "Section 31" on this show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

They've implied something major happened to the Borg between now and the last time we saw them, which is presumably going to be explained since we saw stuff about people getting unborged in the trailers.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Binary Badger posted:

https://youtu.be/yegz2PSdd3U

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There's also the aftermath of Unimatrix One from Voyager, when all those drones got together in Borg cyberspace to kick back and enjoy life as it was before being assimilated, and ending with a bunch of former Borg drones rebelling against the Queen's collective; maybe this cube took too much damage during a rebellion skirmish and was abandoned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Binary Badger posted:

There's also the aftermath of Unimatrix One from Voyager, when all those drones got together in Borg cyberspace to kick back and enjoy life as it was before being assimilated, and ending with a bunch of former Borg drones rebelling against the Queen's collective; maybe this cube took too much damage during a rebellion skirmish and was abandoned.

I hate everything Voyager did with the Borg. Picard gets assimilated and he has life long PTSD about it. Janeway and friends get assimilated and three days later everything is cool.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was very impressed, this is some of the best television i have seen during the last 12 months. This could be DS9 at it`s best level good. Just the rigth level of edge to it, not grimdark but a tense and a little bit wounded mood to it.

But remember that the Walking Dead also had a amazing pilot episode...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

They've implied something major happened to the Borg between now and the last time we saw them, which is presumably going to be explained since we saw stuff about people getting unborged in the trailers.

Hopefully they somehow un-ruin them

Rhyno posted:

I hate everything Voyager did with the Borg. Picard gets assimilated and he has life long PTSD about it. Janeway and friends get assimilated and three days later everything is cool.

Picard has the compassion of the Buddha himself; Janeway is a clinical textbook psychopath

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Wait til Ensign Lynch hears about this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Wait til Ensign Lynch hears about this

There was no way to save him.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Rhyno posted:

to be fair they assimilated picard and then made him massacre hundreds (thousands?) of his friends and colleagues en mass. I think that's a lot more traumatic than the "in and out in a single episode" bullshit voyager did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

to be fair they assimilated picard and then made him massacre hundreds (thousands?) of his friends and colleagues en mass. I think that's a lot more traumatic than the "in and out in a single episode" bullshit voyager did.

Easily thousands

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Also Picard was taken unwillingly by the Borg and had his humanity forcibly ripped away. Janeway got herself voluntarily assimilated as a part of her plan from the beginning and had a doodad in her brain that blocked out the Hive Mind and kept her free will intact.

It was still dumb as poo poo in hindsight, but a completely different situation from Picard becoming Locutus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's fair.

Voyager was still bad.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Wow yeah 11k at the battle of Wolf 359 according to sperg-alpha. Just how many mirandas did they blow up?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Wow yeah 11k at the battle of Wolf 359 according to sperg-alpha. Just how many mirandas did they blow up?

Miranda Classes are like hydra heads. You blow one of them up, two more spring into existence fully crewed and ready to be blown up themselves.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Technically some of those were Soyuz-class ships, which are a distinct variation of the Miranda-class.

:goonsay:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think like 39 ships were lost in Wolf 359

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Gamma ray radiation being deadly in a radius of many light-years is accurate, but the problem is that it moves at the speed of light

STO solved this I think by saying the Romulans or Remans or Tal Shiar or whoever did something to Hobus and it exploded at warp speed, so the Romulan Empire had hours or days before the Supernova's effects were felt instead of years or decades.

I mean, the real answer is that J.J. Abrams does not understand how big space is and consistently fucks up interstellar scales no matter what series he's directing, but at least he does good action scenes right?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think like 39 ships were lost in Wolf 359

The USS Kitbash A through Lambda were sadly lost to the Borg

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Why is the Federation more traumatized by this dumb “synth” attack on Mars than the galaxy threatening Dominion War with literal shape shifting 5th column conspirators and a major attack on earth itself?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Delthalaz posted:

Why is the Federation more traumatized by this dumb “synth” attack on Mars than the galaxy threatening Dominion War with literal shape shifting 5th column conspirators and a major attack on earth itself?

If the entire shipyards were wiped out, and Mars is "still on fire to this day," how did only 90,000 people die?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Miranda Classes are like hydra heads. You blow one of them up, two more spring into existence fully crewed and ready to be blown up themselves.

I was watching some first contact clips (IF YOU WERE ANY OTHER MAN I WOULD KILL YOU WHERE YOU STAND) yesterday and there are loving Mirandas at the Battle of Sector 001 lol

One of the things that hosed me up when I was a kid is in BoBW pt.2 where the cube enters our system and the Mars defense picket ships go after it and the cube just murks them 1-2-3. I always thought about those poor dudes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MichiganCubbie posted:

If the entire shipyards were wiped out, and Mars is "still on fire to this day," how did only 90,000 people die?

Transporters
Future Space Medicine

Honestly where the people lived was probably shielded and underground and poo poo since they were building prototype warp cores and whatnot at the shipyards. Lots of robots doing poo poo, but they don't count exocomps and retired EMHs in the death toll

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Really good transporter evacuation system?

(The real answer is Star Trek always gets scale wrong.)

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
How many people live on Mars anyway?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Binary Badger posted:

What if the cube is the same one that got impacted by Hugh's individuality outbreak way back when, and had been drifting derelict until recently?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Delthalaz posted:

How many people live on Mars anyway?

Never stated, but Memory Beta has the population in the EU stuff as 133 million. Which seems low but given like every other colony we see is three people sitting around a fountain I guess is large by Trek standards.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Low compared to colonies but Mars isn't M-class.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Yeah can't be many who would choose to live on Mars when they have tons of colonies on lovely class M planets.

Also lol at the dad in the short trek saying he won't be back from Mars for a year. Surely that's a very short trip, few hours max, they don't give you any days off?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

What if the cube is the same one that got impacted by Hugh's individuality outbreak way back when, and had been drifting derelict until recently?

Would be cool if they have individualized borg people walking around working on the cube.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Why terraform mars when you can go squat on a nice planet in the neutral zone

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
With the green stuff Romulan blood is green, but from how his jaw sort of turned to ash I assumed he bit down on a Thalaron capsule and spit out the blood to spread it to her and the disruptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I hope we see real advances in civilian leather vest technology since the last time we saw the Maquis.