Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The twist would probably be better if they just plain had the resources to actually make the second half of the game instead of haphazardly squeezing it into the first half.

Like the final mission is just exactly the first mission with some extra cutscene bits, they could've streamlined it or framed it better for the reveal, or anything, but I get it, Konami had already called it quits and wanted to ditch Kojima, ship whatever he had made, and be done with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The secret is that MGS5 is the best one precisely because it has a quiet ending and not a big blustery hooplah monologue ending

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Kibayasu posted:

Excuse me but “You were the lightning in that rain.”

The best dumb line in a sea of excellent dumb lines.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

The secret is that MGS5 is the best one precisely because it has a quiet ending and not a big blustery hooplah monologue ending

I can’t give the game credit for that because it also shoved 30+ minutes of cutscenes into cassette tapes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Kibayasu posted:

I can’t give the game credit for that because it also shoved 30+ minutes of cutscenes into cassette tapes.

I know it's objectively a problem with the game structure, but I had a surprisingly good time listening to story tapes while out running side missions, so I can't hate on it too much.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

one thing that tipped me off to the twist (aside from the first trailer) was that MGS4 Big Boss didn't have the horn and since it couldn't be safely removed the only alternative was that he sandpapered his own forehead at some point. don't remember seeing that option in the survival viewer

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
To be fair, nanomachines could very well have removed the horn.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nanomachines?!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Katty! posted:

one thing that tipped me off to the twist (aside from the first trailer) was that MGS4 Big Boss didn't have the horn and since it couldn't be safely removed the only alternative was that he sandpapered his own forehead at some point. don't remember seeing that option in the survival viewer

I thought it would've been covered by the beret he wears or something when he got older, although I don't know if I was just lying to myself

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

picturing Big Boss dunking his head into a bowl full of nanomachines to dissolve the horn and fill the gaping hole in his brain like leaving a dirty penny in some Coke

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Katty! posted:

picturing Big Boss dunking his head into a bowl full of nanomachines to dissolve the horn and fill the gaping hole in his brain like leaving a dirty penny in some Coke

Watch how it fills all these plot holes!

You like that one, don't you Kojima-san!

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Watch how it fills all these plot holes!

You like that one, don't you Kojima-san!

Phil Swift here!...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Katty! posted:

He killed so many people that the shrapnel got further and further extruded until it finally popped out completely.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

He killed so many people that the shrapnel got further and further extruded until it finally popped out completely.

Just crank out a couple nukes and the problem solves itself!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Big Boss in MGS4 was a Frankenstein anyway so you could handwave it away with that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know it's objectively a problem with the game structure, but I had a surprisingly good time listening to story tapes while out running side missions, so I can't hate on it too much.
There are several of them that are clearly edited like they were actual cutscenes you were watching instead of tapes you're listening to, down to not including the tape hiss effects or anything.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
A nanomachine wizard did it is the answer to all MGS plot holes apart from V where it's a parasite wizard

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I actually thought Hayter was still great in Peacewalker - i really don't buy the 'he fell off' stuff, as much as I think MGS4 was just a bad spot for a lot of voice performances. It is a much more gravelly big boss at time but it suits the more weathered and shaggy big boss well enough. There's tons of great tapes in PW, so much good dialogue, and especially some of his scenes with Strangelove/the torture stuff, Hayter just nails the traumatized frantic Big Boss stuff.

The best thing I can say about the GZ/TPP Big Boss is that I can see where they were trying to sort of show a bit of a missing link between PW 'Big Boss is solid snake but shaggier' to the MG1, MG2, MGS4 Big Boss, but that doesn't have much to do with the VA part.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

I actually thought Hayter was still great in Peacewalker - i really don't buy the 'he fell off' stuff, as much as I think MGS4 was just a bad spot for a lot of voice performances. It is a much more gravelly big boss at time but it suits the more weathered and shaggy big boss well enough. There's tons of great tapes in PW, so much good dialogue, and especially some of his scenes with Strangelove/the torture stuff, Hayter just nails the traumatized frantic Big Boss stuff.

The best thing I can say about the GZ/TPP Big Boss is that I can see where they were trying to sort of show a bit of a missing link between PW 'Big Boss is solid snake but shaggier' to the MG1, MG2, MGS4 Big Boss, but that doesn't have much to do with the VA part.

Exactly. Jennifer Hale is amazing but she's a frickin' robot in MGS4 and given what her character was in that game, I can't blame her.

David Hayter as Old Snake is different though. That whole Snake's voice is falling apart along with the rest of him was his innovation IIRC. It's hard to get used to but I didn't dislike it. As I said earlier, I think Snake is easily the best handled character in MGS4.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Ambivalent posted:

He plays Big Boss in his prime years with the dying and choking on his own lungs MGS4 voice and the final speech establishing Outer Heaven is embarrassingly badly delivered. Every other person in that game runs circles around him acting wise.

And the less said about his work on those MGS1/2 motion comics included in the Legacy Collection the better.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I would feel bad for Jennifer Hale having to sell the bizarre Otacon-Naomi pairing completely seriously, but at least she didn't have to deal with the attempts at Shakespearean comedy that revolved around Meryl and Johnny of all people.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Seemlar posted:

He plays Big Boss in his prime years with the dying and choking on his own lungs MGS4 voice and the final speech establishing Outer Heaven is embarrassingly badly delivered. Every other person in that game runs circles around him acting wise.

And the less said about his work on those MGS1/2 motion comics included in the Legacy Collection the better.

Big Boss is a big cigar smoker, so it makes sense his voice would be pretty rough. I've just finished a playthrough of Peace Walker and thought he sounded great.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Purple Monkey posted:

A nanomachine wizard did it is the answer to all MGS plot holes apart from V where it's a parasite wizard
"Wolbachia copulation" did it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Zereth posted:

There are several of them that are clearly edited like they were actual cutscenes you were watching instead of tapes you're listening to, down to not including the tape hiss effects or anything.

Oh sure, there were some times I guessed that even without consciously thinking about the production differences. It just didn't bother me as much as it should have.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

God the MGS4 credits reveal with the VA for Big Boss was so loving good.

Edit: I just wish I hadn't started the last part of the game so late at night

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Any fun MGSV mods I should be looking into besides the obvious Infinite Heaven? One I found that looked cool was a poster/cardboard box editor, if I can figure out how to do something more involved than ticking checkbox options :sweatdrop:

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Any fun MGSV mods I should be looking into besides the obvious Infinite Heaven? One I found that looked cool was a poster/cardboard box editor, if I can figure out how to do something more involved than ticking checkbox options :sweatdrop:

Give Morbid's Side Ops pack a chance. It adds new Side Ops with Objectives with explanations and not just "Rescue Prisoner 13"

The missions are far more dangerous and varied than even the non skippable side ops. I recommend it.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Did anyone ever make a mod for MGSV that has more bases to infiltrate? I loved the groun Ground Zeroes map and okb zero, would love more facilities to infiltrate.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

Morbid's Side Ops

Awesome, thanks :respek:

Now if somebody out there would make a Thomas the Tank Sahelanthropus mod I'll be set.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abcIrOJ7JfE

I dunno, maybe I've been looking in the wrong places for mods

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Captain Hygiene posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abcIrOJ7JfE

I dunno, maybe I've been looking in the wrong places for mods

holy poo poo lmao

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've been slowly working through a chronological plot playthrough of the series and was honestly dreading going back to Peace Walker and its interminable boss battles. I figured the PS3 online would be dead and the servers switched off, but there's a still really cool small community on there who I played through most of the game with.

I've written up an article about the state of it in 2019 here: https://pixelhunted.wordpress.com/2020/01/29/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-psp-2010/

But yeah, those servers have been up for nine years now and knowing Konami they'll bring them down without warning. Just a recommendation that if you haven't dabbled in Peace Walker co-op and have the HD collection you should give it a go while you can, it'll instantly be a way worse game without co-op.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Necrothatcher posted:

I've been slowly working through a chronological plot playthrough of the series and was honestly dreading going back to Peace Walker and its interminable boss battles. I figured the PS3 online would be dead and the servers switched off, but there's a still really cool small community on there who I played through most of the game with.

I've written up an article about the state of it in 2019 here: https://pixelhunted.wordpress.com/2020/01/29/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker-psp-2010/

But yeah, those servers have been up for nine years now and knowing Konami they'll bring them down without warning. Just a recommendation that if you haven't dabbled in Peace Walker co-op and have the HD collection you should give it a go while you can, it'll instantly be a way worse game without co-op.

It's a drat shame TPP didn't have a two player coop or something. Me and my friend would probably play it to this day if it did.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've just found out that PW is peer to peer rather than server-based, so as long as PSN is up the game should still function online.

Anyway, I had a great time teaming up. I agree with you about TPP and co-op, they nailed it in PW then never followed up on it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why did they spend so much time making so many guns

why is the battle gear so pointless

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’ve been dicking around on MGS5 for weeks just accumulating MB coins as I log in. I have 920 now, so I’m close to getting another FOB. It will be my 5th....wait, there’s only 4 FOB slots.

You can only have 4 FOBs. A thing I found out today. The last few weeks have been a lie.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just let it go, Boss...you can't collect every soldier...

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
why is the rnd platform target side op so much more difficult than the others

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Because the main platform is a vertical maze that is a son of a bitch to sneak through, and unlike the actual world spaces you can’t recon from a distance.

It’s probably possible to memorize an exact timed route through all of the jumping and tube climbing that gets you to the top without being seen (something you can do fairly easily with, say, the base development platform) but who has the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That one's dumb, I only tried it on my own once before immediately ignoring it. I only went back and followed a youtube walkthrough when I realized I was at the point of finishing off all the side ops.