Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

We killed it in 2016.

I have still never managed to beat that guy. My game has been stuck there for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

God mode, there's more game! The second fight in hell is the toughest fight in the game. I only ever got past it once legitimately and god moded the other times, it's total bullshit.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Grand Fromage posted:

We killed it in 2016.

There's always been more in Doom! :blastu:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Is that the worms in exoskeletons one? Haven't seen any of those in eternal yet.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I absolutely love the hell guard fight, it's probably my favorite fight in doom 2016. The first guy splatted me once, then I managed to take him down and was like "oh that wasn't so bad"

Then the game's like "congrats, your reward is now you get to fight TWO OF THEM :unsmigghh::unsmigghh:" and instead of feeling cheap, it felt loving awesome and I actually laughed IRL

It's my favorite fight to the degree that if I get the urge to play a quick level of doom 2016 that's the one I'll load up every time. The Necropolis is a fun map and that boss fight is just :kiss:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

God mode, there's more game! The second fight in hell is the toughest fight in the game. I only ever got past it once legitimately and god moded the other times, it's total bullshit.

I don't remember having that much trouble with him. I died several times but only because the game was like 'hey buddy how about a puzzle boss' out of nowhere. Once you see all his attack patterns it should be clear how to dodge them, unless I'm blocking out some RNG bullshit, it's been a minute since I've done that fight.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Takes No Damage posted:

I don't remember having that much trouble with him. I died several times but only because the game was like 'hey buddy how about a puzzle boss' out of nowhere. Once you see all his attack patterns it should be clear how to dodge them, unless I'm blocking out some RNG bullshit, it's been a minute since I've done that fight.

It's not random but if you slightly mistime a single jump you're basically hosed. I ain't got time for that nonsense.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The doom 2016 boss fights were very :darksouls: and I loved that about them

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not random but if you slightly mistime a single jump you're basically hosed. I ain't got time for that nonsense.

That's it exactly. I just couldn't get through it all without making a mistake or two. I should really try it again.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Just shoot the BFG and open the weapon select screen. Duh

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

BFG->gauss cannon (siege mode) while its stunned shuts down the cyberdemon hard (on the first part, at least).

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the cyberdemon fight is mean cuz if you dont know theres a round 2 youre like hell yeah eat bfg, and then round 2 starts and you have no bfg ammo lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I just replayed it and wasted my BFG ammo on the first phase and was left with none for the second phase because I forgot about it and there is a checkpoint.

Cyberdemon wasn't as bad as Spider mastermind though. Took me like 60+ tries on nightmare cause I suck and it is hard.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 24, 2020

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

site posted:

the cyberdemon fight is mean cuz if you dont know theres a round 2 youre like hell yeah eat bfg, and then round 2 starts and you have no bfg ammo lol

Oh yeah, forgot about this until you mentioned it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

wafflemoose posted:

Isn't QC a microtransaction and lootbox infested mess though? If I wanted to go play an arena shooter I'll go reinstall Quake III Arena or Unreal Tournament Old games may be a pain to get set up working correctly on a modern OS, but at least they don't try to shove DLC down your throat while trying to nickle and dime you.

Now if Doom Eternal has a good deathmatch mode than that will be a nice bonus.

Its has micros and loot boxes but... they're entirely cosmetic so you can 100% ignore them

If you play free2play you're limited to which characters you can play. Can slowly unlock them for free. Or you can buy the game, unlock everybody, and never spend another dollar, just like quake 3 old school boxed games.

Eternal won't have deathmatch are you not listening?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vikar Jerome posted:

sorry i meant in regards to doom 4, shoulda been more specific. doom 4, that wasnt deathmatch imo. the limited two weapon sets and poo poo like that.

im talking about regular old classic doom/quake/duke3d/half-life/unreal style of deathmatch, all weapons scattered around, 32 players. just simple poo poo from the 90s. now it all has to be 1v4 or character based or battle royales battle passes with one map or other lovely gimmicks. dumb but i was wondering it was tech/console reasons or something, that it was too much effort with the higher detail in modern games, dumb i know. didnt actually considered it was unpopular but then again i still load up ut99 once in a blue moon and find people playing face.

then again, why not just have a simple deathmatch anyway, its gotta get popular again, it wont it ifs not there.

That's quake champions!! Again... read my last post dude. It has 90s style rocket arena with weapons scattered around. You can play that RIGHT NOW, for free. Please do!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Eternal won't have deathmatch are you not listening?

Well, not right away. It's possible they add one in way after the fact.

And if they introduce modding tools (:pray:) I feel like that'll be one of the very first things that gets made

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Doom Eternal looks amazing and I'll probably end up enjoying it more than "bigger" games like Cyberpunk if I'm being honest, but its level design really does look like its predecessor's, a bunch of combat arenas connected by platforming challenges. And it does make me wonder if we'll get back to the old-Doom school of mapmaking outside of indie throwbacks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

For what it's worth, Hugo Martin said 2016 relied too much on combat arenas and they reduced that in Eternal. There still are some.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Grand Fromage posted:

For what it's worth, Hugo Martin said 2016 relied too much on combat arenas and they reduced that in Eternal. There still are some.

Hmmmm, the videos they've released make it look similar, but I guess I'll see for myself in a couple months.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I suspect a combat arena makes better trailer fodder so we've seen a disproportionate amount of that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Doom Eternal looks amazing and I'll probably end up enjoying it more than "bigger" games like Cyberpunk if I'm being honest, but its level design really does look like its predecessor's, a bunch of combat arenas connected by platforming challenges. And it does make me wonder if we'll get back to the old-Doom school of mapmaking outside of indie throwbacks.

Only us :corsair: want doom mapmaking. Most people get tired and frustrated if they ever get lost for 5 minutes.

We need a dark souls like FPS to galvanize the FPS industry but I don't see it happening.

And publishers are all too risk averse to try. So only indie throwbacks :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zaphod42 posted:

Only us :corsair: want doom mapmaking. Most people get tired and frustrated if they ever get lost for 5 minutes.
I mean, they don't even have to be as labyrinthine as Doom's, but I miss the combat flow through the map rather than the start-and-stop of most new shooters.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im just anxious for fights that arent: wave 1- 10 imps, wave 2- 2 cybermancubi, 2 cacos, 2 hell knights, wave 3- 1 or more barons

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I mean, they don't even have to be as labyrinthine as Doom's, but I miss the combat flow through the map rather than the start-and-stop of most new shooters.

Ah, I think that's more a consequence of the game mechanics. Sometimes games like halo or call of duty stop you, but doom 4 honestly probably did that more than call of duty.

The problem is bullet speed, player speed, enemy accuracy and health regen all push you to duck behind cover and slowly pop off shots. The level design isn't the real issue there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mordja posted:

Hmmmm, the videos they've released make it look similar, but I guess I'll see for myself in a couple months.

I think they mean it relies less on going to a mostly empty area and triggering a gauntlet via pressing a button. The game is pretty arena like in nature. It looks like this one is more in line with the parts in 2016 where you just stumble onto the demons as you progress.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

People that didn't like Doom 2016 basically played like the Polygon guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

If they put in the classic Cyberdemon as a generic boss-type enemy, which is exactly what it was Doom 2, but they decide to call it the "Tyrant" instead, I am pretty sure I can live with that.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Im pretty sure I can too.

I thought the lore text in 2016 said the cyberdemon was a tyrant that they upgraded with UAC tech because of course they did.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

site posted:

It is lines that this that make me think for my 2016 playthrough before Eternal to restrict my own weapon usage, no BFG, no Rich get richer, etc. rather than higher difficulty. Plus I want to jack up the graphics to max and have a nice look around and even 60 fps is annoying for me to play.

Grand Fromage posted:

I didn't hear/read where he said this so maybe the context would help but I felt the arenas were needed a little bit to prevent the player from kiting too much. Falls under his force the player into the fun zone idea, which is towards the demons rather than away. I can agree that it could have been less binary, there were either lots of demons or none, with no in between.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Probably because calling a much smaller,different looking enemy the Cyberdemon after it was a giant boss in 2016 wouldn't make sense for people who hadn't played Doom 2. On the plus side they look just like the old ones now.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
As long as we can't glory kill the cyberdemon. we can only shoot it until it dies

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Guillermus posted:

People that didn't like Doom 2016 basically played like the Polygon guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

Hugo Martin watched this video and said that it inspired much of the design of Eternal because holy poo poo this dude never should have made it out of the Imp Room.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Hugo Martin watched this video and said that it inspired much of the design of Eternal because holy poo poo this dude never should have made it out of the Imp Room.

I played Doom both on PC and PS4 and while I vastly prefer mouse and keyboard, any player that is used to play with a controller should play better than this, more so if your loving job is related to videogames. If Doomy Turtle filters this kind of players is gonna be hilarious to read/watch complains like the usual Souls/Sekiro ones.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Guillermus posted:

I played Doom both on PC and PS4 and while I vastly prefer mouse and keyboard, any player that is used to play with a controller should play better than this, more so if your loving job is related to videogames. If Doomy Turtle filters this kind of players is gonna be hilarious to read/watch complains like the usual Souls/Sekiro ones.

Hugo has also publicly pointed out Sekiro and Spider-Man as games that will straight up fail you until you learn how to play them correctly.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ve been watching interviews with Hugo lately and that dude is the loving man.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Guillermus posted:

Lucky for the games journalists out there DOOM Eternal does have an easy mode

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

He loves Miyazaki games, during NoClip's docummentary about Doom 2016 he said (and Marty) played A LOT of Bloodborne, now it's Sekiro and telling that people playing badly shouldn't get past the first arena of Doom. Buckle up mates, we're in for a wild ride.

AnEdgelord posted:

Lucky for the games journalists out there DOOM Eternal does have an easy mode

They will complain that the game is too unforgiving and ask for an easy mode like they did with Sekiro, yet they were already playing it on easy. Then everyone tell these journalists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfITIncaE1w

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 25, 2020

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Grand Fromage posted:

This would be good. I found the monster arenas a bit tiring in 2016, butni think part of it was not having to load as many models at once no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I wouldn't even mind the occasional arena but the gore nests got a bit dull by the end