Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ore scrubber is a trap, hand sanitizer is a luxury if you don't have stone just use a sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Why is it a trap? Does building something kill off all the germs? I guess my other option is putting all my sweep storage in a chlorine room?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ahahaha so I start digging out the lowest point in my contiguous base to move that cap farm and miss the neutronium line. I halfway uncovered a methane geyser that would have hosed me up royally if I'd gone one tile further down. Guess we won't be farming down there!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Slimelung dies on solids when not sitting in PO2 or PW, will die in chlorine super fast. The Orb scrubber works like sinks and won’t even remove all the germs from an item if it has more on surface than it cleans. Waste of time.

Hand sanitizers don’t need a water hookup and use so little bleach stone per use you can throw some around in places they make sense. Doesn’t really matter either way in terms of preference.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 23, 2020

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

insta posted:

The SHC thing between Pwater and regular water hasn't been a thing for a year, and they also killed the heat deletion via the sieve several patches ago.

I haven't really played this since just after launch so maybe it's been patched out, but you could do the same thing with the ethanol phase transition. The gas has a lower heat capacity than the liquid so boiling ethanol and then condensing it removes a bit of heat, and the boiling point is only something like 80C.
I had a really simple setup (aquatuner in a vacuum room with a bunch of ethanol on the floor, liquid output from the aquatuner loops back through the room in a heat transfer pipe) and it did indeed destroy heat. I don't know of any reason why you'd use it instead of a steam turbine though :shrug:
I think if you just wanted the project you could do that by melting glass, too? Salt was the opposite way, the gas has a higher heat capacity than the liquid, but I couldn't figure out a way to generate power from that.

Also I should play this game again some time.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 23, 2020

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

Slimelung dies on solids when not sitting in PO2 or PW, will die in chlorine super fast. The Orb scrubber works like sinks and won’t even remove all the germs from an item if it has more on surface than it cleans. Waste of time.

Hand sanitizers don’t need a water hookup and use so little bleach stone per use you can throw some around in places they make sense. Doesn’t really matter either way in terms of preference.

That said, when I was first playing it was certainly hilarious when a duplicant put a tropical fry egg through the ore scrubber. It doesn't really work well enough to remove slimelung from either slime or algae, algae being potentially the one solid you'd want to eliminate germs from early on. If you have the chlorine you already have a better solution.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Slimelung on solids is irrelevant unless you use the solid to make oxygen, and even then, slimelung dies in clean oxygen. Food poisoning in the air is irrelevant and is also irrelevant unless the duplicant eats an item covered in food poisoning germs.

Zombie spores on the other hand, those required a loving quarantine and extreme caution when handling because once those go out of control there's almost nothing you can do to get rid of the infestation.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Has anyone ever tried superheating some gas like hydrogen and then expelling it into the vacuum of space as a cooling procedure? It's probably stupid, sure, but does it work?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Ha. I was recently renovating near my storage and a wild pip got into my seed box, and, of course, grabbed a sporechid seed. I noticed random zombie spores in a nearby hallway, panicked a bit, and cut it down. I just made a little Chernobyl sarcophagus in a rush. I guess I could... Pump in chlorine? Vent it to space? It's not really in the way so it's probably fine to just leave as a monument to poor seed security and wait for it to die.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

Has anyone ever tried superheating some gas like hydrogen and then expelling it into the vacuum of space as a cooling procedure? It's probably stupid, sure, but does it work?

Yes, just typically with something less valuable than hydrogen. CO2 unfortunately has a terrible SHC, but you usually have more than enough to spare.

I've once again killed a map with too many hatches. I think I should just avoid ranching, I tend to run my computer into the ground with it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Xanderkish posted:

Before I understood how steam turbines work, I did a fair amount of cooling by pumping water into a steam chamber built just below space, heating it with aquatuners until it was just below their overheat temperature, and then opening the doors that made up the roof of the chamber and blasting it into space. Works just fine, and you'll probably have enough infinite sources of water late in the game that wasting it isn't a problem, though there's still no particular reason to do it since the location isn't convenient and you're wasting the bit of power you get from the turbines.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Speaking of steam turbines, I just found a leaky oil fissure. Would bottling it up and deleting some heat with a turbine be a good way to cool it off before I process it to petroleum?

Can you analyze a geyser while it's still covered?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Shumagorath posted:

Speaking of steam turbines, I just found a leaky oil fissure. Would bottling it up and deleting some heat with a turbine be a good way to cool it off before I process it to petroleum?

Can you analyze a geyser while it's still covered?

Probably not; no.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Oil fissure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhT27Gm1dNo&t=1218s

They're also warm enough that you can make a low-volume petroleum boiler with them. Maybe with something like a gold volcano?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I used sandbox element destruction to peak around for geysers. One of my cold biomes has a copper volcano and another has a hot polluted oxygen vent (500ºC for anyone lucky enough not to have seen one) :pseudo:

The gently caress do I even do with an extremely pissed off low-conductivity gas that turns into a germ vector when cooled? At least the chlorine vent I found has the courtesy to be only 60ºC. There has to be a purpose for those things beyond killing your base if you fail to bottle them in?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 24, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You can just paint oxygen in sandbox mode to delete materials without touching the map btw.

Also no I don't think there's use for hot polluted oxygen geysers. You can capture the heat with a steam engine but... :effort:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I have a selective destroy mod installed for sandbox mode so I've just been circling around for neutronium lines to direct my expansion. I finally found a cool slush vent so maybe I smash its output into the hot POx geyser and hope I get clean air and water out of it after some deodorizers.

Not really - I know cool slush is way too valuable to waste on neutralizing something I don't have to deal with if I just leave it buried. My first batch of steel beat the poo poo out of my AETN because it already has to cool electrolyzed oxygen. Can I offset that by sending cooler PWater into the smelter then sending the output past the AETN? The first unit of PWater just barely exited the radiator above freezing point but by the end of that batch it was leaving well above 0ºC. The whole thing loops into three PWater reservoirs to smooth out the temperature at the end of the cycle and never let leave any down in the insulated AETN chamber where it could freeze.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 24, 2020

Griz
May 21, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

My first batch of steel beat the poo poo out of my AETN because it already has to cool electrolyzed oxygen. Can I offset that by sending cooler PWater into the smelter then sending the output past the AETN? The first unit of PWater just barely exited the radiator above freezing point but by the end of that batch it was leaving well above 0ºC. The whole thing loops into three PWater reservoirs to smooth out the temperature at the end of the cycle and never let any down in the insulated AETN chamber.

steel produces an enormous amount of heat, you're going to need either more cooling or a bigger buffer tank. one AETN is equivalent to 6.5 wheezeworts, one steam turbine equals like 10 AETNs.

you might find it easier to fill the AETN room with hydrogen and then run some gas pipes around instead of having to deal with frozen liquid pipes in the AETN room.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

You can feed the polluted oxygen past some deodorizers and into rocket fuel cooling areas. That way the germs are irrelevant, and the rocket fuel cooling area should be able to handle dealing with the occasional bit of hot oxygen coming into the mix. The germs also shouldn't matter/should die upon being chilled to that temperature.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
My AETN is in a sealed room with 20Kg of hydrogen per tile (I was treadmilling the oxygen from my electrolyzers for awhile). It has two pipe radiators running through it - one gas and one liquid. The gas is the oxygen out of my electrolyzers and the liquid is the PWater out of a single smelter which then feeds back into three PWater reservoirs, totally full. The liquid pipe is empty in its normal state but the gas pipe has a constant flow of oxygen at around 60C going in and near-0 going out. The AETN shuts off if the bottom tile in that chamber detects -30C. I threw in a few copper tempshift plates before closing it up.

That whole setup was designed to never be opened but I have a second AETN still in ice at the other end of my base. Am I understanding correctly that you want me to run cold hydrogen in a radiator behind the PWater tanks?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 24, 2020

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
My single piece of advice here is use liquid locks of crude oil everywhere instead of sealing rooms off entirely. Being able to get back in will save you a shitload of hassle should you decide you want to modify, unless of course you sandbox all the changes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I have a mod that makes airlocks actual airlocks and if I want to get really safe I can double up with a vacuum in the middle.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There may come a day when I automatically put bridges in the right way around. This is not that day.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
The weak flip their pipe bridges to their intended direction.

The strong rearrange the entirety of their base to match whatever direction the pipe landed on.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I seem to stall on power generation. I don't use a lot, mostly for my research and grill, lights above both on motion sensors, a single water pump, and o2. I eventually run out of coal, and hydrogen is a nightmare to manage. Tips?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hook your generators to a smart battery with automation wire so they only run with the battery is empty

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Impermanent posted:

hook your generators to a smart battery with automation wire so they only run with the battery is empty

Yeah i did that, still end up running dry. Maybe I just didn't get alot of coal in my spawn? Should I be aggressively expanding?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I seem to stall on power generation. I don't use a lot, mostly for my research and grill, lights above both on motion sensors, a single water pump, and o2. I eventually run out of coal, and hydrogen is a nightmare to manage. Tips?

Dig for Natural Gas vents, block them off in fairly large contained spaces with two gas pumps, and pump the room out to vacuum while the vent is dormant (or run the output through a filter set to Natural Gas, pipe the filtered output to your generator room and vent everything else), and set the Gas generators via automation to run preferentially over the coal generators. You will exhaust your Natural Gas every vent production cycle, but for that time you won’t be burning coal.

For more coal, capture and ranch Hatches; they eat various minerals and poo poo coal. There are mutations which eat excess biomass and poo poo coal, eat slightly different minerals in exchange for higher coal rates, and one which eats raw metal ore and shits half the mass as the refined version of that same ore, without producing the same heat that the smelter does.

Past that, research Petroleum Generators and how to refine wood from Arbor Trees into ethanol; turns out the Petroleum Generator will happily burn ethanol, a fact which I don’t think is mentioned in the game anywhere. You can also refine Crude Oil into Petroleum and burn that but the refining process requires dupe work-hours; the oil well structures also need to be periodically soothed by dupes otherwise they break down.

Also if you haven’t snagged the middle skill in the Mechatronics Engineering line, do so; with this skill and generators enclosed in a room with a power station, and access to refined metal, your dupe will make circuit boards at the station and shove them into the generators, causing them to produce more power for the same input.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LonsomeSon posted:

Dig for Natural Gas vents, block them off in fairly large contained spaces with two gas pumps, and pump the room out to vacuum while the vent is dormant (or run the output through a filter set to Natural Gas, pipe the filtered output to your generator room and vent everything else), and set the Gas generators via automation to run preferentially over the coal generators. You will exhaust your Natural Gas every vent production cycle, but for that time you won’t be burning coal.

For more coal, capture and ranch Hatches; they eat various minerals and poo poo coal. There are mutations which eat excess biomass and poo poo coal, eat slightly different minerals in exchange for higher coal rates, and one which eats raw metal ore and shits half the mass as the refined version of that same ore, without producing the same heat that the smelter does.

Past that, research Petroleum Generators and how to refine wood from Arbor Trees into ethanol; turns out the Petroleum Generator will happily burn ethanol, a fact which I don’t think is mentioned in the game anywhere. You can also refine Crude Oil into Petroleum and burn that but the refining process requires dupe work-hours; the oil well structures also need to be periodically soothed by dupes otherwise they break down.

Also if you haven’t snagged the middle skill in the Mechatronics Engineering line, do so; with this skill and generators enclosed in a room with a power station, and access to refined metal, your dupe will make circuit boards at the station and shove them into the generators, causing them to produce more power for the same input.

Great advice, thanks! I haven't expanded out enough to find vents or trees, I'm still pretty scared of slime.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

That whole setup was designed to never be opened but I have a second AETN still in ice at the other end of my base. Am I understanding correctly that you want me to run cold hydrogen in a radiator behind the PWater tanks?

yes, this is much easier than running water through the AETN room because you never have to worry about broken pipes.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Instead of opening up the AETN room I'm going to run a PWater and aquatuner / turbine setup like Francis John showed now that I brute-forced enough steel and ranched enough plastic. I think I boxed my methane geyser in a little too small but I can build out more easily than in, so here goes....

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ngl, the way you guys talk about the heat mechanics is making me want to give up on this. It sounds aggressively unfun.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Ngl, the way you guys talk about the heat mechanics is making me want to give up on this. It sounds aggressively unfun.

They may be overstating things. The only time when heat typically kills a colony is if you overheat plants you need for food resulting in starvation. Like a lot of the game, most heating problems happen slowly and give you ample time to learn and react.

Still, don't go poking into magma pockets at the bottom of the map unless you know what you are doing. Or fully uncover major/minor volcanoes. These are very different kinds of heat.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Heat definitely ruined a few runs, but after I learned how things like wheezeworts and insulation work, it just becomes another cog in the complex machinery you have to manage.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

This entire game is systems layered on top of systems layered on top of systems. When you’re just starting to grapple with using automation to prioritize burning one fuel over another, the kind of poo poo you have to build to sustainably manufacture cold (I find this a more fun way to say “delete heat”) is daunting as gently caress.

Don’t let that poo poo bother you, though; as long as you are having fun building more rickety and complex systems with your Dupes, you will eventually arrive there naturally. Just keep the idea that you don’t want to be dumping heat into your living areas in the back of your head, and try to avoid doing so.

Eventually you hit a point where your Dupes survive long enough that basewide overheating is now the main survival challenge; this CAN be a failure state for your colony if you have been clueless up to this point, because it takes awhile to wrap your head around moving heat. The trigger for this problem is usually your farms getting too warm for food to grow in them and then everyone starving.

If, however, you’ve been skimming posts from people more advanced than you grappling with heat, and kept in mind that you should do your best to leave room for cold-liquid cooling pipe runs, or run the output of your various oxygen generators through cold-liquid tanks or just an ice biome before venting it into the public atmosphere, you should be able to start work on a system which won’t wind up doing as much as you want but WILL work well enough.

Solutions like that are good until you warm your catchment tank or melt your ice biome; this can take hundreds of cycles, by which point you will have the materials and understanding to do poo poo like the aquatuner-> steam turbine setups that are being discussed. A key to these stopgap scenarios is digging around to find things like Cool Slush geysers which put out below-freezing polluted water which can be used as part of a cold liquid radiator setup, or fed into a cooling tank which a hot gas radiator runs through.

I’ve got a colony in cycle 1160 right now. I’ve never been to space, this is the first time I have even built a steam turbine, poo poo I don’t think I’ve been past cycle 250 before now.

But, in this most recent run the lessons of several dozen hours of playtime all knitted together and I’ve managed to do poo poo like freeze a volcano after extracting too much heat energy from its runoff.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Advanced power is more convenient and easier on dupes, but you can definitely just ranch hatches for coal for 500 cycles and be fine. I think this is important to know so you don’t get stressed.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Think of it like Dwarf Fortress except instead of accidentally hitting a Balrog you are dealing with the ever-present Maxwell's Demon.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Great advice, thanks! I haven't expanded out enough to find vents or trees, I'm still pretty scared of slime.

Seriously though, ranching is fantastic. It also means you can ignore heat for the most part, since the only reason heat really matters is stifling crops. Getting your food from animals that survive perfectly happy at relatively warm temperatures means you really don't need to worry about starving because the temperature slowly creeped up on you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah i did that, still end up running dry. Maybe I just didn't get alot of coal in my spawn? Should I be aggressively expanding?

Yes if you are spending enough time to run out of coal you've got to be spinning your wheels or something. What are dupes even doing all cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What should I do with a massive amount of polluted water?