Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drew McIntyre posted:

imagine catching a fish, but then it begins talking to you in the voice of Patrick Stewart. would you eat it? the things it's saying are really racist.

No. I'd put it on cable news as a show anchor and make millions as its manager/handler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

what time periods do you just not give a poo poo about in movies? well i'm glad you asked. it's the civil war and also revolutionary era with redcoats and wigs for me (havent seen barry lyndon yet though)

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the 90s

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
The only good civil war movie I can think of is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

I don’t know, Glory is okay I guess. You can just YouTube the one Denzel scene though.

Revolutionary war has The Patriot, which is stupid but fun.

WWII and the Cold War have all the good movies.

Edit:
To answer the question, I don’t give about Elizabethan England or anything medieval that is about royalty and not knights murdering each other. Court life is unequivocally the most boring thing about the “Middle Ages.”

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 25, 2020

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I enjoyed Cold Mountain, it has a civil war deserter as one of it's main plot points.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
if you don’t like big, big wigs adorning foppish dandies and weirdly heaving cleave in your movies i can’t help you

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

what time periods do you just not give a poo poo about in movies? well i'm glad you asked. it's the civil war and also revolutionary era with redcoats and wigs for me (havent seen barry lyndon yet though)

Victorian and pioneer times. If they wearin bonnets I ain't up on it

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
One time an old girlfriend made me watch Quills and me and that girlfriend broke up because I was an unrepentant alcoholic so Quills is a bad movie and so is that genre!!!

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Eat My Fuc posted:

I enjoyed Cold Mountain, it has a civil war deserter as one of it's main plot points.

this truly is one of the best civil war movies and all i can say about it was “not bad”

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i like weirdly heaving cleave

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Glory is a great film. Lincoln isn’t bad either.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
the favourite ruled

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really enjoyed Lincoln but when I read the (utterly superb) biography it was based on it was kinda hilarious how the events of the film cover like 20-30 pages of the book.

WatermelonGun posted:

the favourite ruled

Legit my favorite (!) movie of 2018 :hai:

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
my man yorgos hasn’t made a bad movie

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yorgod

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnYLGlg4hMs

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

ive seen a lot of people talk poo poo about the lobster and it really irritates the hell out of me

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

yea ok posted:

ive seen a lot of people talk poo poo about the lobster and it really irritates the hell out of me

those people have never had anal and it’s really obvious

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Just got out of The Gentlemen. Great film if you're into Guy Ritchie's style.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Just got out of The Gentlemen. Great film if you're into Guy Ritchie's style.

Something about the trailer made it fall flat to me, I hope it was good though because Lock Stock and Snatch are two of my favorite movies and if it is anywhere near as good as those it'll be great.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I wish I could watch Guy Ritchie movies, but they are impossible to follow if you have faceblindness.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

those people have never had anal and it’s really obvious

Personally I don't like lobster and all other seafood. Just tastes bad to me. Now it is true I have never had anal as well so I can't dispute you

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I will stab somebody for some crab cakes. Anal is take or leave it territory. Not gonna stab anyone for some anal. That would be hosed up. Definitely will do over some crab cakes.

Generally I will eat weird/new poo poo without much thought and just roll with the taste as best as possible. Seafood's generally the hardest because the fishkills have made fresh fish more and more a rarity round here. Red Lobster is High Class poo poo where I'm from.

I spent several summers eating nothing but potted meat and foraged greenery so I'm pretty much over the whole concept of eating food has to have some baseline of dignity.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I get really fidgety watching movies these days so I seldom do it. Last movie I watched in theaters was Detective Pikachu. I loved it but was ready to go home at pretty much every point in the film. I really need to interact with my entertainment these days. I'm not sure if this constitutes a problem or not.

Also when I do watch movies, I opt for levity and escapism above all else. If I can't fix this stupid world let me run away from it please. I'm sure 1917 is great, but why? Do I suffer from an acute lack of thinking World War I was unimaginably horrendous?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I never see this as anyone's #1 Yorgos but my ride or die favorite is Killing Of A Sacred Deer. The most profoundly upsetting movie I've ever seen. Triggered a panic attack during the big scene at the end, which loving owns.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

yea ok posted:

I liked Gettysburg.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i don't have a problem with any time periods. but i don't want to see anything about royalty typically. or wars if the warring is really important and takes up a lot of scenes. I don't want to watch movie about cl owns

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Magic posted:

The only good civil war movie I can think of is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

I don’t know, Glory is okay I guess. You can just YouTube the one Denzel scene though.

Revolutionary war has The Patriot, which is stupid but fun.

WWII and the Cold War have all the good movies.

Edit:
To answer the question, I don’t give about Elizabethan England or anything medieval that is about royalty and not knights murdering each other. Court life is unequivocally the most boring thing about the “Middle Ages.”

I will fight you to posting death if you dare to claim that Gettysburg is not a good movie.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WRT to the first episode of Star Trek: Picard

I thought in general it was a good start to the series. It set up the main focus of the show and its main plot point well.

The set up for the backstory was a bit sloppy in some areas but not terrible. As well as why the girl (Dosh? Daush?) showed up to his house other than "I saw you on TV and therefore I knew you'd help me." which again was a bit weak. The method in doing the story however is also fairly "not like Star Trek" and I think that is what is a bit off putting at first. I don't recall any episodes in TNG, DS9, Voyager or Enterprise wherein you had these "dreams" or whatever in the same manner in which this show does it. In terms of the cinematography/visual aesthetics it is also a bit weird and seems more like Star Trek Discovery which makes it feel very "not Trek" in it's look. The crisp and clean camera or tight looking cgi is just too glossy given that Star Trek (from TOS all the way to Enterprise) had a fairly rustic/authentic feel to it. Then again those shows aired between 15 to 50 years ago so like with former it's not entirely bad, just takes you a bit to get used to.

Patrick Stewart is, as always, a superb actor who I really adore.

Also Number 1 is a good boy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

the favourite ruled

My favorite Yorgos film

If you're in the US and fine with ads, Dogtooth is free on Tubi.TV https://tubitv.com/movies/149545 Definitely recommend

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I feel like I like Spielberg's movies less and less every year. Like he used to be my favorite when I was a dumbass teenager and wanted to make movies but now his movies are so saccharin and sometimes morally dubious to me. Not any of the Indiana Jones trilogy, obvs. Actually Temple of Doom is a little sweaty with the racism.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

hes cool he just really wishes his dad loved him

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
jaws is the best spielberg movie

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Mekchu posted:

WRT to the first episode of Star Trek: Picard

I thought in general it was a good start to the series. It set up the main focus of the show and its main plot point well.

The set up for the backstory was a bit sloppy in some areas but not terrible. As well as why the girl (Dosh? Daush?) showed up to his house other than "I saw you on TV and therefore I knew you'd help me." which again was a bit weak. The method in doing the story however is also fairly "not like Star Trek" and I think that is what is a bit off putting at first. I don't recall any episodes in TNG, DS9, Voyager or Enterprise wherein you had these "dreams" or whatever in the same manner in which this show does it. In terms of the cinematography/visual aesthetics it is also a bit weird and seems more like Star Trek Discovery which makes it feel very "not Trek" in it's look. The crisp and clean camera or tight looking cgi is just too glossy given that Star Trek (from TOS all the way to Enterprise) had a fairly rustic/authentic feel to it. Then again those shows aired between 15 to 50 years ago so like with former it's not entirely bad, just takes you a bit to get used to.

Patrick Stewart is, as always, a superb actor who I really adore.

Also Number 1 is a good boy.
Dahj could easily have had some piece of programming triggered leading to the "I saw you on TV and therefore I knew you'd help me." I do agree with you on the look and feel of the series, though. It doesn't even match up to First Contact or the not-good TNG movies, either.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

hes cool he just really wishes his dad loved him

Hell, same

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I learned like last year that people don't like The Terminal which was crazy to me because I adored that movie. I was literally shocked.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What is your favorite movie that you kind of know isn't great? Mine is Grave Encounters I also really like the sequel. It's pretty standard if above-average found footage but has some really great ideas with impossible space

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Breath of the Wild is the best game holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i really didn’t like the second grave encounters cuz i deeply hated the characters and thought it took way too loving long to go anywhere BUT like you said there’s some really cool spacial poo poo and it goes off the rails in a good way towards the end.

anyway weekend at bernies is my answer